• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] New PS5 model to have New 5nm APU and No Liquid Metal

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Makes sense if the node improves efficiency there will be no need for Liquid Metal cooling, cheaper to make and lighter

According to recent court documents, this new PlayStation 5 model will release later this year for the price of the Digital Edition.

CFI-1300 Series

• 5nm APU

• No Liquid Metal

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Does the cost per chip go up with node shrinks? Or is that a wafer thing? I’m wondering if any actual cost savings will be realized in the short term or just in the long

Gudji

T1000 not needed.

terminator 2 dog GIF by Rover.com

Neilg

Does the cost per chip go up with node shrinks? Or is that a wafer thing? I’m wondering if any actual cost savings will be realized in the short term or just in the long

If they shrank it too early in manufacturing ability, the cost would go up, like if they decided to make the new ps5's use 3nm. but that would be a total waste - home consoles only shrink once the price/reliability makes for significant cost savings.

lmimmfn

The cost per chip is based on the process maturity(the more mature the process the less chips with issues) and the chip size which determines how many chips you can get per wafer(the smaller the node size the more chips can be produced). Sony already disables some of the gpu side to reduce the number of unusable chips.

The 5nm process is very mature at this stage, probably 90+% of chips meet QA, so this should reduce the cost per chip in general for Sony

XesqueVara

There might be. If using tsmc, their main production currently is 5nm. Using an older process may cost more or have less in production.
Newer nodes still cost more, Since moore death with 7nm and onwards every Node Shrink will increase the cost per xtor.

//DEVIL//

I am happy with the 1215 I have. It's dead quite even in the hardest games like final fantasy 16. Can't hear shit even if I am dead close.

It will be interesting to see how much noiser a smaller ps5 fan will be.

Imtjnotu

Newer nodes still cost more, Since moore death with 7nm and onwards every Node Shrink will increase the cost per xtor.
But it's cheaper to buy the most common than an out of date node.

Tsmc's most readily used node is 5nm which is easiest for them to produce.

3nm is their current expensive node

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Will it have a Disc Drive?

The 1tb Series S does not look like a good deal at all relative to this either way.
It never was.. thats why they dont sell much.. worst idea ever and they are going to ride this anchor of a console to the sunset

Wafer costs go up but the number of chips per wafer increase too, so overall costs go down (potentially marginally). But the power consumption and thus heat dissipation reduces drastically, which reduces the cost of the cooling solution and thus the overall cost and complexity of the console. This impacts assembly costs and lower weight and smaller size lower shipping and handling and inventory costs too. So has a major overall downward impact on cost.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Consoles always get trimmed down, there’s no question Sony has a slim, or pro or both versions of the ps5 in the works.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Consoles always get trimmed down, there’s no question Sony has a slim, or pro or both versions of the ps5 in the works.
There's no question that will have that, but how the thing will be still is to be answered. A no liquid metal means a whole different set of hardware, so there's a chance that is a jump like PS1/PS2 to PSOne/PS2 Slim rather than PS4 to PS4 Slim. We hope for the bigger change, and less noise

XesqueVara

But it's cheaper to buy the most common than an out of date node.

Tsmc's most readily used node is 5nm which is easiest for them to produce.

3nm is their current expensive node
7nm isn't going anywhere for a long time, and even if 5nm is more common it don't means it's cheaper tho.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
If true, this will make me consider "upgrading" to the new model. My model is close to 3 years old. I'm worried about liquid metal degredation.

Or should I be?

X-Wing

I mean that's already the comparison with the PS5 digital.

The best value in gaming.

Yes, but PlayStation 5 Digital hasn't been the big seller, it's the standard edition. If the rumors are true and the slim only releases as digital only and replaces the original models... well.. you see where I'm going.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Yes, but PlayStation 5 Digital hasn't been the big seller, it's the standard edition. If the rumors are true and the slim only releases as digital only and replaces the original models... well.. you see where I'm going.
I imagine that's shifting quite a bit since DE's are actually out there in the wild.

But yeah, Sony didn't produce as many for a while, likely because it was a loss leader. I imagine by now, it's not.

Mainly because they don't produce as many of them as they do the standard model.

marquimvfs

The price per wafer is bigger, but there's more chips per wafer. There's also other agreements that can make the price go up or down, like if you're willing to pay for deffective dies or not. (It's a thing on consumer CPUs, defective dies can have the defective part disabled and be sold as a weaker chip, for example). Also, some nodes are cheaper just because they're the main mass product from a factory.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

No... and yes.

The cost per wafer goes up with node shrink. But then you can get more chips from the same sized wafer so the overall cost per chip goes down. You are fucked though if using the same-sized chip on the new node.

So, Say PS5 @320mm2/chip nets you around 100 chips on a 7nm wafer @ $13,000/wafer. So thats $130/chip. PS5s on a 5nm node, would be like 200mm2/chip and you get like say 170 chips per wafer @ $17,000/wafer. Now your chip cost you $100 each.

It doesn't end there though, the cost savings spread out, you are now going to spend less on a PSU, cooling, casing, and even shipping.

Nice, hopefully no more coil whine
If true, this will make me consider "upgrading" to the new model. My model is close to 3 years old. I'm worried about liquid metal degredation.

Or should I be?

No one knows, but it’s really not that hard to put some new Liquid Metal if needed.

Top Bottom