• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] New PS5 model to have New 5nm APU and No Liquid Metal

Little Mac

Gold Member
So Slim will replace the digital at $399 and will be the only model made going forward? Optional disc drive will be roughly $100 bucks?

$450 sales/pricedrop (and Spiderman 2 bundle) are simply clearing out existing stock of old models?

Tsaki

So Slim will replace the digital at $399 and will be the only model made going forward? Optional disc drive will be roughly $100 bucks?

$450 sales/pricedrop (and Spiderman 2 bundle) are simply clearing out existing stock of old models?
Probably yeah. I'd say the disc drive would be closer to the price of a Dualsense but Sony could want a bigger margin on it. That would also nudge people to spend more on digital which benefits them immensely.

ZoukGalaxy

That's really interesting to see Sony keeping releasing PS5 hardware revisions, like in every generation, constantly looking for optimization and cost reduction while Microsoft's Xbox has still no hardware revision so far (when they were really aggressive on revisions with the Xbox 360), it sounds almost they are truly giving up on hardware.

7qHfnUI.jpg

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

That's really interesting to see Sony keeping releasing PS5 hardware revisions, like in every generation, constantly looking for optimization and cost reduction while Microsoft's Xbox has still no hardware revision so far (when they were really aggressive on revisions with the Xbox 360), it sounds almost they are truly giving up on hardware.

7qHfnUI.jpg
More like it's perfect why change it ?

Xbox series X is small, compact, dead silent . And amazingly built. Why change that ?
Also, with revisions Sony is making, sadly they are using cheaper parts. I love my CFI 1215 and I got lucky with a quite fan too. But it's hard to deny that the older model has more expensive premium heat sink. And then you have to worry about fan lottery ever since the PS3 days. Honestly buying a PlayStation console is a headache especially for OCD people like me.

Also, they just spent 70 billion dollar. They are not fucking leaving the hardware side. If anything , they are more than doubling down to become the biggest in the industry.

In fact with this deal closing Microsoft will be Sony's biggest 3rd party publisher. Imagine the power they would have.

Let's not derail this thread by bringing Xbox into this thread when it has nothing to do with Xbox.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

7qHfnUI.jpg
There is a reason for that. How do you think chip contracts work?

Xbox series X is small, compact, dead silent . And amazingly built. Why change that ?
Also, with revisions Sony is making, sadly they are using cheaper parts. I love my CFI 1215 and I got lucky with a quite fan too. But it's hard to deny that the older model has more expensive premium heat sink. And then you have to worry about fan lottery ever since the PS3 days. Honestly buying a PlayStation console is a headache especially for OCD people like me.

Also, they just spent 70 billion dollar. They are not fucking leaving the hardware side. If anything , they are more than doubling down to become the biggest in the industry.

In fact with this deal closing Microsoft will be Sony's biggest 3rd party publisher. Imagine the power they would have.

Let's not derail this thread by bringing Xbox into this thread when it has nothing to do with Xbox.
This post is showing how little you know of what you are talking about.

The older model with its bigger `more expensive` heat sink as you put it... is that size because the APU is built using a 7nm process, and it's 320mm2 in size. The current PS5 APU, is built using the more advanced 6nm node and is 260mm2 in size. Smaller APU > less power draw > less heat generated > smaller heat sink needed...etc.

ah well, carry on I guess.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

There is a reason for that. How do you think chip contracts work?

This post is showing how little you know of what you are talking about.

The older mode with its bigger `more expensive` heat sink as you put it... is that size because the APU is built using 7nm node, and its 320mm2 in size. The current PS5 APU, is built using the more advanced 6nm node and is 260mm2 in size. Smaller APU > less power draw > less heat generated > smaller heat sink needed...etc.

h well, carry on I guess.
I know very well what nm they are using. but even the CFI 1100 was 7nm and they still used a smaller heat sink. so unlike you. I do know what I am talking about.

Same way how ever since the PS3 with 16 vs 19 blades fans. or PS4 with Delta vs Nidec drama, or even the PS3 super slim being cheaper and lower quality than the slim version.

The slimmer version of an X console doesn't mean it's a better console. the CFI 1100 is inferior to CFI 1000 models in both heat and noise.

Hopefully, this slim PS5 isn't sacrificing noise with a smaller fan that has to run at higher RPM causing the system to be louder.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

I know very well what nm they are using. but even the CFI 1100 was 7nm and they still used a smaller heat sink. so unlike you. I do know what I am talking about.
Optimizations happening the course of any console's life. The initial PS5? Was just overkill.
Same way how ever since the PS3 with 16 vs 19 blades fans. or PS4 with Delta vs Nidec drama, or even the PS3 super slim being cheaper and lower quality than the slim version.
This is the PS5. Not the PS3 or PS4.
The slimmer version of an X console doesn't mean it's a better console. the CFI 1100 is inferior to CFI 1000 models in both heat and noise.
This says otherwise. Being `sometimes` different doesn't mean being inferior. You are reaching.. confirmation bias. We probably should just agree to disagree.

Puscifer

There is no such a thing as 'possible for owners'. The PS5 Digital Edition don't have acess to a custom disc drive mind you. Users of the Playstation 5 Digital Edition need to buy this new 'Playstation 5 Slim' in order to have acess to their option to whatever they want about a disc drive.

Sony already did a test and the full digital version fail miserably. COVID sittuation was suppose to kill physical for good, but here we are. Base PS4 selling more than PS5 DE on Japan.
I think it's because retailer's don't want to stock it, you can always find the DE from PS direct. A lot of industries require consistent returning customers and gaming is no different, cutting out the reason for me or anyone to return doesn't serve my bottom line so I won't do it.

//DEVIL//

Optimizations happening the course of any console's life. The initial PS5? Was just overkill.

This is the PS5. Not the PS3 or PS4.

This says otherwise. Being `sometimes` different doesn't mean being inferior. You are reaching.. confirmation bias. We probably should just agree to disagree.

Did you even read and think of what you just wrote ?

This is you:

- CFI 1000 better than 1100 --> is fine because the initial PS5 was just overkill. so optimization is needed for higher temps in the newer model by reducing heat sink and saving money . fuck customers.

- This is PS5, not PS3 and PS4--> so we do not care about the history of how Sony is shit when it comes to sourcing parts for fans. and not all PS5/PS4/PS3 have the same fan noise and some people have jet engine PS4s, PS3, and ( even some people reporting noisy PS5 fans )while others were dead silent. but who cares it's past right?

Heh. yeah no. I will not agree to disagree when you are dead wrong. Period. but...

Sesame Street Reaction GIF by ProBit Global

Last edited:

skit_data

Wouldn't surprise me if thy reason they reduced the size of the heatsink so drastically in the first revision was that better airflow led to more effective heat disippation.

I really wonder what kind of thermal compound they'll be using in the newer models. Would be pretty wierd if they switched to regular thermal paste, the solution they have now is pretty damn future proof as long as that seal does its job.

Last edited:

sinnergy

Wouldn't surprise me if thy reason they reduced the size of the heatsink so drastically in the first revision was that better airflow led to more effective heat disippation.

I really wonder what kind of thermal compound they'll be using in the newer models. Would be pretty wierd if they switched to regular thermal paste, the solution they have now is pretty damn future proof as long as that seal does its job.
But Liquid Metal is more expensive , so they probably cut this out , revisions are about better margins in profit .

Last edited:
This is not what is happening. What is really happening is companies are giving us choise between physical and digital, but consumers still prefer physical over digital so they will try a very aggressive move to move fowards their plans to minimize physical.

Most consumers still prefer physical and lets not forget that digital had one of the most opportunities to crush physical and still lost.
You are incredibly wrong. Most consumers play Fortnite, Roblox, COD Warzone, apex, overwatch, and Minecraft. Niche consumers prefer physical. If this wasn’t the case, GameStop wouldn’t be dying and the video game departments at retail stores wouldn’t be shrinking.

Last edited:

skit_data

But Liquid Metal is more expensive , so they probably cut this out , revisions are about better margins in profit .
Yeah, if so I'm happy to have one of the early models that won't need thermal paste replacement every now and then.

I guess its not entirely out of the realm of possibilty the seal might actually work with regular paste too. If that's the case it might not need replacing either, which would be pretty neat.

REDRZA MWS

You are incredibly wrong. Most consumers play Fortnite, Roblox, COD Warzone, apex, overwatch, and Minecraft. Niche consumers prefer physical. If this wasn’t the case, GameStop wouldn’t be dying and the video game departments at retail stores wouldn’t be shrinking.
For the last time, they aren’t “physical” games anymore. Physical games used to play directly from the disc drive. These are now “installation” discs, which are useless except one spin to check your DRM, then it plays right off the SSD just like digital.

Those discs will be useless without PSN/Xbox Live. That being said, who actually wants to get up and eject and replace an installation disc that spins once just to be able to play a different game every time?

I’ve been digital since Xbox 360. Game share with my cousin so I have a much larger library of games, and paid half price, literally (we alternate buying games). And the ease of use of just closing the game app and clicking on the next one I want to play without any clutter of discs or cases.

Fake

I talking about hardware, not software.

If is still not clear to you, PS5 vs PS5 DE.

You guys should read the follow up before getting into the conversation.

Gonna repeat again, but this time very very slowly:

Uncle Sony are give consumers choise between PS5 and PS5 Digital Edition, but consumers are not giving up the disc drive version and are buying the regular PS5 more.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I talking about hardware, not software.

If is still not clear to you, PS5 vs PS5 DE.

You guys should read the follow up before getting into the conversation.

Gonna repeat again, but this time very very slowly:

Uncle Sony are give consumers choise between PS5 and PS5 Digital Edition, but consumers are not giving up the disc drive version and are buying the regular PS5 more.
Be that as it may, way more people are buying digital games over physical games. It stands to reason that up to 80% of gamers wouldn't care if PS5 doesn't have an internal drive.

Kdad

/\

Derails thread with 4 paragraphs of cuck.

Fake

Be that as it may, way more people are buying digital games over physical games. It stands to reason that up to 80% of gamers wouldn't care if PS5 doesn't have an internal drive.

Are you serious? lmao

80℅ of the gamers don't care, but somehow are buying the most expensive version of PS5 'because'. Are you even read what you wrote before post?

Is really hard to extract common sense from folks like this.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Are you serious? lmao

80℅ of the gamers don't care, but somehow are buying the most expensive version of PS5 'because'. Are you even read what you wrote before post?

Is really hard to extract common sense from folks like this.
Considering the well-documented split between digital and physical games and the consistent growth of digital share they sure aren't buying more systems with a disc drive just it play physical games. You can argue any reason you want, but data doesn't support that it's because they want physical games. So it has to be some other reason.

When I bought mine I bought a version with a disc drive because I wanted to have the option to watch movies I have on disc and play my old PS4 discs if I wanted to. I never buy physical games any more. I've never purchased a physical PS5 game disc.

Last edited:

Mephisto40

He kind of consolidated the most logical rumors and personally outside of the PS6 as I don't know anything about that I would tend to agree with almost everything else he says here even down to the picture of the new PS5 model

I think he is pretty spot on
No rumor that is based off thin air is logical to assume

drganon

suck-wwe.gif

Mephisto40

What makes you think this stuff is based on thin air?

We have some very credible people saying the same things
I can't see anything on that sources twitter account that you posted that makes me believe he knows anything about playstations console production plans, every post just seems to be an educated guess rather than anything concrete

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I can't see anything on that sources twitter account that you posted that makes me believe he knows anything about playstations console production plans, every post just seems to be an educated guess rather than anything concrete
Like I said in my post he consolidated what has been said by credible people and put them in a single tweet

I didn't say this guy was breaking this he is just repeating what has been said by a couple of people who is quite reliable

twilo99

Hopefully, this slim PS5 isn't sacrificing noise with a smaller fan that has to run at higher RPM causing the system to be louder.

Shouldn’t be a problem if they improve the cooling solution, which is probably exactly what they’ve done, otherwise they will end up with a very loud/hot plastic box.

The developer (mostly making tools and utilities), who goes by @BwE_Dev on Twitter, described the PlayStation 5 Slim as being five centimeters or so shorter than the normal Playstation 5, and not much thinner. The disc drive is also less curved than the normal one, which he claims “looks weird”. Two black slits are also on each side of the case, with two USB-C ports on the front. Finally, the face buttons are embossed on the rear.

Reactions: TLZ

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
He should draw us a picture.

I still don't think it will be much different in overall look. "Slim" are those who have their own head cannon or adopt other's head cannon. None of the official leaks ever called it a slim, but rather mentioned a slight redesign for a unified assembly line product which would be sound logistics.

I still don't think it will be much different in overall look. "Slim" are those who have their own head cannon or adopt other's head cannon. None of the official leaks ever called it a slim, but rather mentioned a slight redesign for a unified assembly line product which would be sound logistics.
Yeah this isn't sounding like a major console redesign. I don't think this will be PS5 Slim or PS5 Lite. This sounds more like a new "regular" PS5, just cheaper to manufacture and runs more efficiently internally.

Maybe we'll get a PS5 Slim in 2025. But if next year really is PS5 Pro, then I think this minor revision is it for new PS5 hardware from Sony for at least the next 12-15 months.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

I believe this way more than an actual slim

It kind of surprises me IF the rumors are true about it going on sale within the next month or two that we haven't heard/seen way more of it at this point

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I believe this way more than an actual slim

It kind of surprises me IF the rumors are true about it going on sale within the next month or two that we haven't heard/seen way more of it at this point
I always get annoyed when I see stuff like this,
Guy with the information did reveal that he has a video as well. Whether we will get to see that video or not is another discussion.

Put up, or STFU.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ
Top Bottom