• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Insomniac game budgets leaked

Does Sony even make money on the mainline Spiderman games? These production budgets are astronomical. Combine that with the leak that Disney takes a HUGE amount of money in royalties per copies sold (including a whooping 50% cut on hardware bundles) it's clear to see why their margins are so low.

Not sure why anyone is surprised.

I always said these licenced games from Marvel would likely need to sell mother than double that of a standard Sony IP to make the same money.

The again I suppose even though Sony make less money total it's guaranteed sales compared to new IPs and they are easier to churn out as well.

Go_Ly_Dow

What would be the main difference in selling a game?
If the potential leaked slide is reporting on estimated net revenue rather than gross, then presuambly this is the amount they would get after deductions, such as retailer/digital store cut, platform holder cut, royaly deductions, packaging and distribution expenses etc... Whilst the slide you've linked may be reporting the gross revenue, aka before these deductions (number of sold copies x average $ per copy). This is just a guess to provide another possible reason for the discrepency on your slide vs this so called leaked slide.

Last edited:

Darsxx82

Does Sony even make money on the mainline Spiderman games? These production budgets are astronomical. Combine that with the leak that Disney takes a HUGE amount of money in royalties per copies sold (including a whooping 50% cut on hardware bundles) it's clear to see why their margins are so low.
It is evident that Sony does not sign these exclusivity agreements with Marvel because of the returns on game sales but rather it has more to do with selling consoles and attracting users to its ecosystem.

It can be said that Sony has not done badly in that regard, but depending so much on third-party licenses is not the best in the long term.

Del_X

Isn’t there some data that shows Sony’s gaming divisions make about 7% margin while Xbox makes 12%?

Sony needs their own big multiplayer hit. Makes sense why they bought Bungie.

If the potential leaked slide is reporting on estimated net revenue rather than gross, then presuambly this is the amount they would get after deductions, such as retailer/digital store cut, platform holder cut, royaly deductions, packaging and distribution expenses etc... Whilst the slide you've linked may be reporting the gross revenue, aka before these deductions (number of sold copies x average $ per copy). This is just a guess to provide another possible reason for the discrepency on your slide vs this so called leaked slide.
Got you! So net revenue is the money Sony get back after all the deductions. The deductions are less because Insomniac is first party right.

I guess we can include the Marvel cut in those deductions as well

MaulerX

It can be said that Sony has not done badly in that regard, but depending so much on third-party licenses is not the best in the long term.

That's a good point. Heavily tying your system with games/franchises/characters (and depend on those for your systems popularity) that aren't yours has a potential to really backfire in the future even if it seems to be working out at present. I can now see why they were so heavily opposed to the ABK deal and losing COD marketing.

Go_Ly_Dow

Got you! So net revenue is the money Sony get back after all the deductions. The deductions are less because Insomniac is first party right.

I guess we can include the Marvel cut in those deductions as well
Yeah, so for example if a game sold 5mil copies x $70 per copy the gross revenue would = $350mil.

Then let's say the say after deducting the expenses I mentioned the developer is left with $35 per copy, then the net revenue would be 5mil x $35 = $175mil.

Let's say the development budget for this particular game is $100mil (development + marketing), then the gross profit would be $175mil net revenue - $100mil budget = $75mil.

Finally from the $75mil gross profit if corporation tax is 20% on gross profit then the net profit would be $75mil gross profit - 20% taxes = $60mil.

This is overly simplified and there are many factors to consider that are variable and not fixed, such as background deals, royalties, country, how certain industries are taxed etc...

Last edited:

twilo99

Well. They are paying 9-18% of digital sales to Marvel as royalty fee
19-26% on physical copies
19-26% on DLC content
35-50% of wholesale bundle price

I guess that is eating to their profits massively.
But on one hand you have at least some guarantee of profits. Otherwise you are left with Ratchet & Clank which didn't even break even.

I had no idea how much leverage Marvel holds over Sony here… crazy

Godot25

Banned
I had no idea how much leverage Marvel holds over Sony here… crazy
Yeah.
When you realise how many Spiderman 2 PlayStation 5 bundles were sold at 449$
While Disney took additional 30$ thanks to royalty fees.

And with physical split you already have probably half of money because you need to pay manufacturing/retailers etc. and then Disney will take additional 19-26%. I wonder how much it leaves to Sony.

Crazy.

Yeah, so for example if a game sold 5mil copies x $70 per copy the gross revenue would = $350mil.

Then let's say the say after deducting the expenses I mentioned the developer is left with $35 per copy, then the net revenue would be 5mil x $35 = $175mil.

Let's say the development budget for this particular game is $100mil (development + marketing), then the gross profit would be $175mil net revenue - $100mil budget = $75mil.

Finally from the $75mil gross profit if corporation tax is 20% on gross profit then the net profit would be $75mil gross profit - 20% taxes = $60mil.

This is overly simplified and there are many factors to consider that are variable and not fixed, such as background deals, royalties, country, how certain industries are taxed etc...
Thanks for this!

I remember a slide that ubisoft made 55% on physical sales before all these deductions. We all know digital is 70% for 3rd parties on most stores.

I think first party gamesare usually about 70% physical and 95% digital on there own stores.

Obviously we don't know what marvel/ Disney takes from spiderman games but presumably Sony take less than a average first party title.

Still even if we assume net revenue that Spider-Man remastered figure is still really low. At 30 dollars a unit that's still 120 million gross so they would only be making about 40% net lol.

WoW, there are very few benefits for games from big franchises and they cost so much..... It doesn't surprise me how there is so much talk in the industry about "unsustainability".

Games that sell 10+ million units and almost marginal profits. Ratchet is a negative surprise

Licenses with Marvel are double-edged. They squeeze you in fees and % of sales but you get IPs that can attract buyers of your console. Given what this have seen, I think that is Sony's purpose with the Marvel licenses and not so much to make great economic benefits.
to sell consoles.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
These cinematic games cost too damn much money and now everyone expects games to be on that level of cinematic quality. The crazy thing is you think spider man 2 cost 315 million......what does a game like last of us 2 cost?

And imagine if these games don't hit sales targets.

Sony built this kind of expectation but I don't think anyone else can actually afford to deliver anywhere close to what they can tbh.

ButchCat

I would love to see a cost breakdown because $39M for a remaster is obscene, wonder what the marketing/ dev cost split is, 80%/ 20%? With sky-rocketing AAA budgets like these it is very easy to see why very few studios are able to match the fidelity of Sony Studios games but it also shows why Sony has become more risk-averse lately.

Last edited:
Examples of some longer AAA games which didn't reuse assets:

OmpuqY5.png
OmpuqY5.png
OmpuqY5.png

OU7.gif

Fbh

It's a shame we don't really get a lot of info about budgets in other games because it would interesting to see how the budget of something like Spiderman 2 compares to other games. Like how much did Elden Ring cost? Or Hogwarts Legacy? or a cinematic game from a smaller team like Plague Tale Requiem?

Still 300mill seems extremely high. No wonder most AAA are so bland, when a flop can sink a studio they'll try to make the least risky product possible.

While they probably don't make a lot of money from the game itself, I imagine the main objective of a lot of exclusives is making the brand stronger and ensuring the console continues to sell well and has an active userbase.
A strong Ps5 means millions of people buying FIFA, Madden, COD, GTAVI, Assassins Creed, Vbucks, etc and Sony takes a 30% cut from all of them

Thirty7ven

Banned
BULLSHIT BULLSHIT this slide is pure fucking BULLSHIT!

There's a slide a from fucking Sony linked here that shows that Spider-Man remastered generated 52 million in revenue from 1.5 million units JUST from the PC version.

I dunno about the other leaks but stop taking the information here at face value. If you haven't worked out yet its BULLSHIT!

The Activision “leapfrog dated” slides are fake so I’m wondering what else is fake.

But people caring about game budgets is funny.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Return of investment. How much money they get in return verses development costs and marketing.

Wild that SM games cost in between 300-400M.

Bro! That's StreetsofBeige StreetsofBeige he KNOWS how businesses work. LOL! I think it's this leak and "how" Insomniac is getting to their ROI that's confusing.

mckmas8808

Crazy of low the projected ROI on these massive AAA games are. 35-40% for +5-6 year projects. Sony could just invest the money in index funds and get better risk-adjusted returns over the development period. Perfectly shows why they are pursuing GAAS projects.

And this type of "suit" thinking is why creative projects die. If 40% profit isn't enough, then gaming needs to die! Kill it all! Because I can promise you GAAS projects won't get 40% profit, because many will fail within the first year.

Making games is supposed to be a thing companies did with love and passion. If your passion could grant you a 40% profit margin.....there's literally nothing better in life to be doing. Yet people like yourself and other executives would rather put that money into Index funds and gamble that profit on GAAS games that fail time and time again.

MikeM

I wonder how bundles are factored in. Do they count as a full price game then take the hit on the hardware side?

mckmas8808

This is starting to look more and more like an Xbox fanboy FUD campaign, once those Xbox numbers were released. Yall actually believe these numbers? For real?

mckmas8808

Xbox is the girl that keeps getting injections hoping it fixes problems but can’t fix the problems that’s deeper roooted in her.

So if a gamer wants to play SM3 SP and MP, it's $100 US.

Something doesn't look right with the $50 each. You;d think it might be $70 SP and $30 MP tacked on.

It's because you are smart and have common sense. Of course something isn't right here.

I tried to warn you guys

And yet most GAAS games BOMB hard!

What I learned from the Insomniac leak:

GAAS >>> AAA Liscensed IP

So why does Sony keep winning with their licensed AAA IP then? And why are they canceling their GAAS games, but doubling down on these AAA games? News flash!!!!!!!!!!! It's because one works more than the other!

Xyphie

And this type of "suit" thinking is why creative projects die. If 40% profit isn't enough, then gaming needs to die! Kill it all! Because I can promise you GAAS projects won't get 40% profit, because many will fail within the first year.

Making games is supposed to be a thing companies did with love and passion. If your passion could grant you a 40% profit margin.....there's literally nothing better in life to be doing. Yet people like yourself and other executives would rather put that money into Index funds and gamble that profit on GAAS games that fail time and time again.

I'm sorry if pointing out that the games industry operates in the real world upsets you. When $300M and 1000 people are involved unfortunately love and passion is the first thing that goes out the window.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
It's because you are smart and have common sense. Of course something isn't right here.

And yet most GAAS games BOMB hard!

So why does Sony keep winning with their licensed AAA IP then? And why are they canceling their GAAS games, but doubling down on these AAA games? News flash!!!!!!!!!!! It's because one works more than the other!

I like how Marvel game revenue being smaller than expected PLUS Insomniac going ham into multiplayer is somehow proof against the inevitable GAAS future.

What it that psychological effect called when people are presented with evidence that contradicts firmly held beliefs...and they just dig in deeper?

The human mind is a fascinating bundle of nerves.

wvnative

These cinematic games cost too damn much money and now everyone expects games to be on that level of cinematic quality. The crazy thing is you think spider man 2 cost 315 million......what does a game like last of us 2 cost?

And imagine if these games don't hit sales targets.

Sony built this kind of expectation but I don't think anyone else can actually afford to deliver anywhere close to what they can tbh.
industry fucked itself with this type of game

Ribi

Cloud imperium Games has as of now a budget of 650mil for two concurrent games. Spiderman was 300mil and didn't even win goty. Spiderman is a scam

Taur007

Yikes!! As an Xbox guy I really understand now why Sony wants no part in day one gamepass model, 300m for SM2 is insane, that 70$ is crucial, hell i wanna see starfields budget now just to see what MS is dealing with.

Jinzo Prime

Oh no so worried about game budgets 😂

Who gives a shit, good! Spend all that money. Otherwise taking 30% cut from third parties + subs would be feeding what exactly? Trash?

I want high budget games.
Nah, budgets this high cause the bean counters at game companies to want to extract as much money from the game as possible, like wanting more microtransactions, or spitting the game into multiple parts.

And if it misses sales targets, mass layoffs. Just take a look at the rest of the industry.

X-Wing

umVyg5E.jpg

vWap6s3.png

$315mil to make a game that's a lot shorter than some AAA games, reused a lot from the 1st game and is padded out, so how much is it costing to make longer games which aren't reusing previous work? :pie_thinking:

vWFt8HO.png

Examples of some longer AAA games which didn't reuse assets:

SGzYgB9.png
fxElabL.png
lqO6mst.png

2qCX7EM.png
TzQyowt.png

Do we assume games are a lot cheaper to make in Eastern Europe and in Asia, so studios outside of the US can get a lot more mileage with their budgets?
Or you know… gameplay time doesn’t necessarily correlate to budget.

Top Bottom