• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Insomniac game budgets leaked

Hudo

Add this to the OP:

vWap6s3.png

$400 million for a two-part finale.
Holy shit @ releasing one game as two parts + multiplayer for $50 each.

I get StarCraft 2 flashbacks...

Saber

Gold Member
Heavy load of budgets. At least people won't be praising 1 million sales as if it didn't cost nothing.
Can't wait to see how much costs for Cuckman to make his games. Probably the biggest waster of Sony.

Last edited:

tusharngf

400 million dollars means the game needs to be a hit on every available platform including mobile if possible to recoup the money they have invested. These budgets are even bigger than avatar and avengers movies.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

They are. Even when you hire a western developer he is earning more by default (an many times do less which pisses of the staff). So yeah, projects in countries like Poland are cheaper to make.
Yup thought that was the case.

Then in the East in places like Japan you have lower salaries, compared to North America and now a lot of outsourcing to other East Asian and South Asian countries. Japanese games will also emphasise less on the visuals and more on the gameplay which probably cuts costs.

These numbers not adding up to anyone else🤔

E.g. Miles Morales 10.2 million units revenue 260 million. That would be at an average price of 25 dollars it would surely be higher than that?

Edit. Yeah the Spider Man remastered seem especially suspect 50 million revenue at 4 million units. That's 12 dollars a unit it currently 30 British pounds TODAY!

Last edited:

Fake

Is so pathetic that they ignore the base Marvel Spider-Man sales in favor of the others. Is really looks like an act of bad faith.

Of course the remaster sell lower than the base game.

I'am sorry so much about this slide is Bullshit or missing information/data that's it's impossible to take seriously.

Spiderman 2 LTD 10.5 million? Fuck off it will hit that in January. 10.5 million at 70 dollars is over 700 million dollars.

This really came from the Insomniac leaks? It feels like some BS an intern would slap together in 5 minutes

Is so pathetic that they ignore the base Marvel Spider-Man sales in favor of the others. Is really looks like an act of bad faith.

Of course the remaster sell lower than the base game.
Now that you mention it that feels weird.

There's a bunch of fishy stuff that I've mentioned already but the Spider-Man 2 LTD is the biggest red flag. That game doing 20 plus million guaranteed.

xrnzaaas

Wait what, they are planning to release Spiderman 3 in two parts? Not sure if this will work with only a year separating them and people already complaining that Spidy 2 was shorter than 1 and that some plots felt rushed.

Mowcno

Wait what, they are planning to release Spiderman 3 in two parts? Not sure if this will work with only a year separating them and people already complaining that Spidy 2 was shorter than 1 and that some plots felt rushed.
It looks like they were deciding between whether to make it one game or multiple titles. Judging by the calculations it seems they think a single title makes more financial sense. 30% return on investment for multiple titles vs 50% return on investment for the single title. They are projecting slightly more profit for multiple titles but a much higher investment.

Single Title: $300m cost, $160-180m profit
Multiple Titles: $480m cost, $188-209m profit

Considering multiple titles takes more time and that development could be spent on a different more profitable venture I'd be very surprised if they go the multiple titles route assuming they continue to believe their financial projections of these two options are correct.

BULLSHIT BULLSHIT this slide is pure fucking BULLSHIT!

There's a slide a from fucking Sony linked here that shows that Spider-Man remastered generated 52 million in revenue from 1.5 million units JUST from the PC version.

I dunno about the other leaks but stop taking the information here at face value. If you haven't worked out yet its BULLSHIT!

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
You're mixed up, you are quoting me cross threads.

This is single post I've made about it.
RpvjLo9.png

Bring more than Resetera lies if you want to claim something as lies.

So I will ask, you believe the $500 million budget for halo infinite, which was claimed by a random german podcast, when the creative director of 343i debunked it?

Go_Ly_Dow

There's a slide a from fucking Sony linked here that shows that Spider-Man remastered generated 52 million in revenue from 1.5 million units JUST from the PC version.

I dunno about the other leaks but stop taking the information here at face value. If you haven't worked out yet its BULLSHIT!
Gross revenue on that link vs net revenue reported by Insomniac?

DR3AM

Wow I would have guessed the profits would be much much bigger. These numbers are not sustainable. No wonder why Sony is pushing live services games.

This exceeds anything anyone would have predicted for Spider Man 2's budget by a lot. It's a direct sequel, a short to moderate length game, no multiplayer. Seems wildly expensive and honestly hard to believe.
When GTA 6 releases next year the bar for AAA titles is now going to be at 2 billion dollars, it’s not unthinkable.

After the year 2025 publishers are going to have to put up super serious money to compete with GTA 6.

Last edited:

Mowcno

Hmmm yes these numbers from Sony do throw the accuracy of the numbers in the OP into serious question. https://www.sony.com/en/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/business_segment_meeting/pdf/2023/GNS.pdf (page 25)

mwiwfip.png

It's worth noting the Spiderman figures seem to be a forecast, but even so. They estimate 1.5m PC sales and $52m in revenue. Numbers in the OP have over triple the sales for it on all platforms but less revenue.

Do we have any idea when this slide in the OP was made?

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
When GTA 6 releases next year the bar for AAA titles is now going to be at 2 billion dollars, it’s not unthinkable.
GTA6 isn't even a AAA game. If Spider Man 2 is something like AAA, then The Last of Us 2 and Red Dead 2 are AAAA. GTA6 sounds like it may legitimately be AAAAA. Not even kidding. These letters signify tiers of budget, and they're on a different level.

Go_Ly_Dow

Hmmm yes these numbers from Sony do throw the accuracy of the numbers in the OP into serious question. https://www.sony.com/en/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/business_segment_meeting/pdf/2023/GNS.pdf (page 25)

mwiwfip.png

It's worth noting the Spiderman figures seem to be a forecast, but even so. They estimate 1.5m PC sales and $52m in revenue. Numbers in the OP have over triple the sales for it on all platforms but less revenue.

If we assume everything in the slide is a forecast, then the budget data is more likely to be roughly accurate over the revenue (we have no idea if revenue forecast is gross vs net, but would guess it's the latter).

Last edited:

mwiwfip.png

Either these numbers are wrong or missing vital information to able to make sense.

It's not just one thing there's so many red flags.

Rachet sold 1.1 million in a month. Really it only sold another million in two years?

diffusionx

Gold Member
Really glad to see these numbers start coming out more so people can see that games don’t cost $50 million to make anymore (they stopped costing that in the PS3 era actually). A game like Spider-Man 2 with top tier production values is more expensive than a movie (and they look better too, modern CGI is ass). But this is also crazy and very few devs and publishers are capable of bringing a project like this forward. Sony, Rockstar, and…? Not even Ubi or EA anymore. Not Microsoft. It looks like Activision-Blizzard can’t sustain this COD process anymore.

Either these numbers are wrong or missing vital information to able to make sense.

Rachet sold 1.1 million in a month. Really it only sold another million in two years?
Ratchet wasn’t that good and died really quickly.

Mowcno

Yes I'm starting to think that the first slide is very old, with just estimates. It could even be from before Miles Morales was released. In this revenue slide the games are in release order but have Wolverine after Spider-Man 3. The Spider-Man remastered revenue makes no sense compared to Sony's forecasts and the Spider-Man 2 sales estimate is very low. Pretty much all of these numbers are questionable.

Without more information such as when that specific slide was created I'm not going to trust the figures listed there as concrete evidence of anything. It could very well have been created in 2020 or before just estimating future Insomniac titles.

Last edited:

MaulerX

Does Sony even make money on the mainline Spiderman games? These production budgets are astronomical. Combine that with the leak that Disney takes a HUGE amount of money in royalties per copies sold (including a whooping 50% cut on hardware bundles) it's clear to see why their margins are so low.

Top Bottom