• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Insomniac game budgets leaked

Thirty7ven

Banned
Nah, budgets this high cause the bean counters at game companies to want to extract as much money from the game as possible, like wanting more microtransactions, or spitting the game into multiple parts.

And if it misses sales targets, mass layoffs. Just take a look at the rest of the industry.

Sure I’ll remember what you said when it happens. The rest of the industry is not PlayStation, or MS (first party I mean). They just released Valhalla for free so, yeah, people worried about game budgets on first party games are clowning. If the game bombs then it’s part of the discussion but that’s not a problem.

I’m here for all types of games, but high budget games are definitely part of it.

Last edited:

RickMasters

Yikes!! As an Xbox guy I really understand now why Sony wants no part in day one gamepass model, 300m for SM2 is insane, that 70$ is crucial, hell i wanna see starfields budget now just to see what MS is dealing with.
Thing is MS are better equipped to absorb these kinds of costs if they see a long term gain. Which is why they are pushing for Gamepass growth.

I think the cost of games will go up some more, and that’s gonna make subscriptions a lot more tempting to a lot more people.

I also think Sony should set up some AA studios that can make good single player games on smaller budgets that don’t need expensive actors and Mocap etc. make more ico’s and patapons and puppeteers ( remember those games?) to alongside these expensive games that take years to make.

They may be reluctant to the 1st party games day and date on their sub service but I think sooner or later their hands will be forced on that one. They have profit and metacritic 90+ mandates that are probably like a double edged sword to their devs. They need some smaller exclusive la that can be released more often because it’s obvious things are not gonna be how they were for PlayStation in the previous years gone by and the industry itself is changing. They need to adapt, and they can’t rely on these single player AAA games alone….. gamers have such wide habits and buying methods these days and they need to cater to all of it really or as impossible as people think it is… they will lose their lead eventually.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I'm sorry if pointing out that the games industry operates in the real world upsets you. When $300M and 1000 people are involved unfortunately love and passion is the first thing that goes out the window.

I'm not upset by the real world. I get upset with FUD posts that are only here to confuse the audience. Will a $300 million budget remove some of the passion and uniqueness? Yes, but it's not a zero-sum game. And making a 40% profit isn't NEAR a bad thing. And if any exec thinks it is, then they will be the reason the industry implodes.

mckmas8808

I like how Marvel game revenue being smaller than expected PLUS Insomniac going ham into multiplayer is somehow proof against the inevitable GAAS future.

What it that psychological effect called when people are presented with evidence that contradicts firmly held beliefs...and they just dig in deeper?

The human mind is a fascinating bundle of nerves.

You do know that many of Sony's GAAS games got canceled and\or delayed right? Jim Ryan is leaving Sony. They aren't making that horrible decision anymore.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
You do know that many of Sony's GAAS games got canceled and\or delayed right? Jim Ryan is leaving Sony. They aren't making that horrible decision anymore.

You don't have to believe every yarn spun by clickbaiters.

Look at the leaked slide that reads "Multiplayer Ambitions Remain". Insomniac has 3 multiplayer titles in their outline.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

People focusing on Spiderman 2 and 3, but the biggest WTF is how Miles cost $150 million US Dollars. That shit was literally a 4-6 hour long DLC skin swap that wholesale lifted 99% of its content from SM1 entirely unmodified. These budgets must include marketing as well.
It can't be right and if it is then this figure must surely include payments to Marvel or something?

These numbers not adding up to anyone else🤔

E.g. Miles Morales 10.2 million units revenue 260 million. That would be at an average price of 25 dollars it would surely be higher than that?

Edit. Yeah the Spider Man remastered seem especially suspect 50 million revenue at 4 million units. That's 12 dollars a unit it currently 30 British pounds TODAY!
Retail stores take their cut before you see see the money so they don’t see the revenue, same is true for steam. Also it’s not all the same price in all countries.

Also see CD keys like this, https://www.etsy.com/listing/162883...RUscbPOax44MJlFdx56PxlD8pDdz_ku0aAjN8EALw_wcB

That’s 10 dollars before steam takes their cut.

LRKD

-$8m for ratchet is insane. Hopefully soon they'll stop parading the corpse of what was once a great series, and let it rest in peace.

havoc00

This is why I donate to the companies each month, game development is pricey and we are getting a bargain for mere 70 bucks a game and sub services

mckmas8808

Look at the leaked slide that reads "Multiplayer Ambitions Remain". Insomniac has 3 multiplayer titles in their outline.

We don't even know how real these leaks are or if they are up to date. Of course Sony isn't going to abandon multiplayer games. But they aren't going ALL in on GAAS either. This is now a good thing.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
We don't even know how real these leaks are or if they are up to date. Of course Sony isn't going to abandon multiplayer games. But they aren't going ALL in on GAAS either. This is now a good thing.

If the leaks are real, it shows PlayStations commitment to GAAS is greater than we all thought.

I wonder if that 60% Live Service number we got in May 2023 is going to bump up to 70% in May 2024.

It can't be right and if it is then this figure must surely include payments to Marvel or something?
People focusing on Spiderman 2 and 3, but the biggest WTF is how Miles cost $150 million US Dollars. That shit was literally a 4-6 hour long DLC skin swap that wholesale lifted 99% of its content from SM1 entirely unmodified. These budgets must include marketing as well.
Yeah if taken at face value do we really believe that Miles Morales cost 3/4s of the Last Of Us part 2 and Horizon Forbidden West😂. The game likely only had 2 year dev cycle.

So much about these numbers don't make any god damn sense that I think it's safe to say rumour until proven otherwise.

To be fair you could say that about story. A lot of these numbers in the slide don't make any sense but people are running with it like it's gospel.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Can we now close this thread?

This leak which seems far plausible contradicts the numbers presented here.

We can all breathe a sigh of relief Ratchet and Clank is profitable!
The link in your post is Net Sales, not profitability.

Go_Ly_Dow

Can we now close this thread?

This leak which seems far plausible contradicts the numbers presented here.

We can all breathe a sigh of relief Ratchet and Clank is profitable!
The thread title now has rumour in it. As mentioned before we don't know if it's gross or net revenue being reported or forecasted, but I think this thread is worth keeping open as we know Insomniac were hacked, we know the hackers have leaked a lot and this may be part of it. Also if it is true then it highlights inflating game budgets which is a biggie.

wolffy66

Crazy of low the projected ROI on these massive AAA games are. 35-40% for +5-6 year projects. Sony could just invest the money in index funds and get better risk-adjusted returns over the development period. Perfectly shows why they are pursuing GAAS projects.
Sad but very true

Also a person from IB looked through the slides and apparrently this is an internal projection from Insomniac from way back in June 2020 lmfao. Yeah... context matters a lot with these leaks.

nMJ8Hln.png

Insane budgets. One floppa and your studio is toast. How sustainabe is it needing 5+ MIL sales just to break even?

Eventually AI will show up and that should massively reduce budgets and development times without hurting quality.

yurinka

$315mil to make a game that's a lot shorter than some AAA games, reused a lot from the 1st game and is padded out, so how much is it costing to make longer games which aren't reusing previous work? :pie_thinking:
  1. The budget of a game has very little to do with its length
  2. They had to do a ton of things, a tiny portion was reused -but remade-

Monkfish877

The Spiderman budgets can't be real. The Miles Morales budget is ludicrous, If true, Sony and it's studios should be investigated for money laundering, Miles Morales is just a reskinned Spiderman 1, no way it should be costing that much.

The link in your post is Net Sales, not profitability.

Also a person from IB looked through the slides and apparrently this is an internal projection from Insomniac from way back in June 2020 lmfao. Yeah... context matters a lot with these leaks.

nMJ8Hln.png
Now it all makes sense lol. I guess this won't stop idiots saying rift apart didn't profit months from now though.

Top Bottom