• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[RUMOR] Final Fantasy XIV is in Development for Playstation 5

VertigoOA

Banned
I’ll be far more excited when the Eidos branch develops soul reaver or another deus ex for ps5.

best part of current square is eidos... then they gave up hitman like fools

altho 14 is the best FF since 9.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
An MMO that's much better at "being a Final Fantasy Game" than FFXV, XIII and XII.

Shadowbringers alone is a top tier JRPG.

And 14 has amazing soundtracks.

In an era where rpgs started feeling like makeshift mmos without the players or challenge, garbage ambient soundtracks everywhere.

I hate playing a new rpg and not hearing some amazing Overworld theme and instead chirping birds and winds because ambient sounds equal immersion to modern day developers (which is trash) and then for ff14 to have blaring tracks for everything and save the day.

Last edited:

lyan

Subs in an mmo used to get you all of that - literally all of it, every single thing available to have in the game. So don't use the fact that FFXIV has a sub as an argument for why it's great when the sub does not get you everything. FFXIV is sub + cash shop with cosmetics PLUS insta max level boosts.
That was like when mmo was still an infant genre. Even Cross Gate from 2001, an mmo by Enix (before SquareEnix is even a thing) that I used to play already has subscription + cash shop (gacha even IIRC) mechanics not long after its birth.

mejin

And this just after Spencer told everyone he's working to bring the game to Xbox. ouch.

Last edited:

Garibaldi

I hope you can transfer your PS4 license over to the PS5. I don't fancy buying all the mogstation stuff and leveling through that post ARR grind again.

Last edited:

TeamGhobad

Banned
An MMO that's much better at "being a Final Fantasy Game" than FFXV, XIII and XII.

Shadowbringers alone is a top tier JRPG.

interesting, ya i gave up on the franchise after ffx-2, played ff15 it was awful. the FF feel is just not there anymore.

vkbest

For me FF XIV is the second best FF I have played after FF VII (first FF I Played).

I hope you can transfer your PS4 license over to the PS5. I don't fancy buying all the mogstation stuff and leveling through that post ARR grind again.

You can play on PC with your character from PS4, you have to buy first PC license. Why would be different on PS5?

Last edited:

Garibaldi

For me FF XIV is the second best FF I have played after FF VII (first FF I Played).

You can play on PC with your character from PS4, you have to buy first PC license. Why would be different on PS5?
Can you? I didn't know that. I've only played the PS4 version you see. I have a very old license for the PC version of ARR. Since they were different service accounts, I figured it was all separate. Good to know.

vkbest

Can you? I didn't know that. I've only played the PS4 version you see. I have a very old license for the PC version of ARR. Since they were different service accounts, I figured it was all separate. Good to know.

You need to use the same account and buy a license for the version you want play. Besides, its probably Square will let to migrate from PS4 to PS5 for free. They did on past from PS3 to PS4.

ManaByte

Gold Member
That is great.
People can move to PS5 without need to stop to play FFXIV.

Obviously Square wasn't going to throw away millions of people paying them $15 a month.

But being redeveloped does kind of call into question the BC situation on the PS5. Sure there will be BC, but how many devs are going to "redevelop" their game for a remaster instead of just letting people play the game they've already bought?

Then FFXIV moved from the PS3 to the PS4, of course it HAD to be a new version of the game since you couldn't run the PS3 game on the PS4. But if the PS5 is BC, making people rebuy FFXIV when the system could play the existing version is pretty shitty.

Zelent

Obviously Square wasn't going to throw away millions of people paying them $15 a month.

But being redeveloped does kind of call into question the BC situation on the PS5. Sure there will be BC, but how many devs are going to "redevelop" their game for a remaster instead of just letting people play the game they've already bought?

Then FFXIV moved from the PS3 to the PS4, of course it HAD to be a new version of the game since you couldn't run the PS3 game on the PS4. But if the PS5 is BC, making people rebuy FFXIV when the system could play the existing version is pretty shitty.

I suspect the game is going to be "re-made", similar to how they went from PS3 to PS4 (although I'm sure the architecture of the PS5 will make this a very smooth process).
Current owners of the PS4 version will likely get a discount towards the new version.

The reason I think this will NOT be simply a BC game, is because the PS5 affords the capability to really improve both the graphics and performance of FF14.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I suspect the game is going to be "re-made", similar to how they went from PS3 to PS4 (although I'm sure the architecture of the PS5 will make this a very smooth process).
Current owners of the PS4 version will likely get a discount towards the new version.

The reason I think this will NOT be simply a BC game, is because the PS5 affords the capability to really improve both the graphics and performance of FF14.

Again, it's bullshit forcing people to pay for a remaster of a game when the system can play the original.

It's like Bethesda yanking the BC versions of Doom and Doom 2 from the Xbox store to force people to buy their new ports of the games.

Zelent

Again, it's bullshit forcing people to pay for a remaster of a game when the system can play the original.

It's like Bethesda yanking the BC versions of Doom and Doom 2 from the Xbox store to force people to buy their new ports of the games.

It's not bullshit... it's business.
Development time isn't free.
If you don't like the idea of paying more for better performing/looking games, then invest in a PC and future-proof yourself.

royox

When I'm at my home I play ffxiv on my PC and when I go to my gf's home i keep playing with same character and configuration (horbars and options) on the Ps4.

saintjules

Google translation:

At the same time as the patch 5.5 release on April 13, 2021, we will start the open beta test of the PlayStation®5 version.

If you are currently playing FINAL FANTASY XIV on PlayStation®4, you can participate in the test with your own character / game data.

Enjoy a more comfortable and rich gaming experience than ever before, including improved experience with ultra-high-speed loading, significantly improved frame rate, full support for 4K output, and support for 3D Audio and haptic vibration.

Last edited:
Top Bottom