• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] Chinese manufacturer says it’s preparing for a new Japanese games console launching early 2024

Please call it Super Switch.

Or... Mega Switch! 😎
Honestly, yes. Super Nintendo Switch.
Brian Cox Yes GIF by SuccessionHBO

Only Nintendo can release consoles in that period nowadays. I won't be surprised if it's not hardware BC with Switch. They know people will buy it anyways.

Last edited:

TAS

Yep..I can totally see Nintendo doing a March launch like they did with the original Switch. It will be a smooth transition this time because Switch 2 will no doubt be backwards compatible (plus enhanced resolution and framerate) with a massive library of games from day 1.

Zannegan

Yep..I can totally see Nintendo doing a March launch like they did with the original Switch. It will be a smooth transition this time because Switch 2 will no doubt be backwards compatible (plus enhanced resolution and framerate) with a massive library of games from day 1.
Here's hoping, but NEVER doubt Nintendo's ability to do something odd instead.

blacktout

So this was discussed on today's Spawn Wave, and John seems to think, based on a more accurate translation, that the "early 2024" time frame is speculation on behalf of the author of the original article and not coming from the manufacturer:

He still thinks the Switch successor will be released holiday 2024, and that's where I'm at too. Parts manufacturers would naturally see an increase in profits prior to the release of the actual console, since they're at an earlier point in the supply chain.

I won't be surprised if it's not hardware BC with Switch. They know people will buy it anyways.

I don't know why people are constantly saying variations on this "people will buy it anyways" line about the Switch successor, when there's absolutely no evidence to back up such claims. Nintendo has way higher than normal volatility when it comes to console sales. In just the last four generations they went from the Gamecube selling <22 million to the Wii selling >101 million to the Wii U selling <14 million to the Switch selling 125 million and counting. This is not indicative of a locked-in, highly loyal customer base.

As far as backwards compatibility is concerned, I could see it going either way. Nintendo has a mixed record on this front. They've had multiple systems that launched with backwards compatibility (GBA, DS, 3DS, Wii, Wii U), but it's far from all of them. I don't think the lack of backwards compatibility on the Switch tells us much either way, since it would have been physically impossible to include 3DS BC because the Switch is a single-screen system and obviously there was no way they could have included a drive for Wii/Wii U discs on a handheld.

If I had to guess, I'd say that the Switch successor will have BC initially, but that it will be omitted from the inevitable Switch 2 Lite to cut costs. This is basically how Nintendo has handled it in previous generations.

Last edited:

Neo_GAF

Banned
They held the announcement as late as possible. Even tho it became a successful launch. The Switch was barebones feature wise. Switch was basically launch on last week of Nintendo fiscal year to get some needed revenue!
everything today has to be measured in iphone terms.
eventually this shit is also being done in the console space.
we were able to see this with the switch as well as the ps5, while xbox tried to maintain the: "we are a console"-thing.

Hardensoul

everything today has to be measured in iphone terms.
eventually this shit is also being done in the console space.
we were able to see this with the switch as well as the ps5, while xbox tried to maintain the: "we are a console"-thing.
Nintendo has been doing this with their software, it’s becoming rare that they announced a game years in advance. Bayonetta, Metroid and TotK recent exceptions.

Mario Wonder and RPG is announced and date with the year! Which is incredible how they can’t keep these under wrap for so long during development.

Microsoft is buying Sega this Wensday and will be releasing Sega Dreamcast X holidays of next year with a full Game Pass Subscription. Calling it now.

Top Bottom