• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Clive Barker's Undying - 2001 (PC, Dreamworks Interactive/EA)

fart town usa

Gold Member
Ever since 2004 I've really been wanting to sit down and play though this game. It was on my radar when it released but I didn't have a computer capable of running it until 2004. Game never played right though, all kinds of graphical glitches.

Furthest I've been so far. I was reading the wiki and didn't realize that it got great reviews and was nominated for some GOTY awards. I guess it just didn't sell well.

I know people usually call it a hidden gem and I 100% agree. Seems like most people know about this game but it doesn't get brought up a lot.

It's greatest strength is the story, it's easily the game's best part and is just damn good by any standard. Definitely one of the best IPs to have Barker's name attached. Kind of reminds me of Lord of Illusions in a way.

The game plays great being 20+ years old. The firearm/spell mechanic allows variety, though I usually just stick with the shaman stone and ectoplasm.

Game is balls ugly though. Great atmosphere, music and sound design as well but so much of the game is just downright ugly, lol. It works though, kind of charming in a way.

lpnkknK.jpg
ZvaFZtN.jpg

D5SeszC.jpg
GOSw3Bl.jpg

Awesome game though, highly recommended. It's been on GOG for years, can't be that expensive. Definitely play this game if you want a adventure/exploration/shooter. The files in it (RE style) are all written by Clive himself, fantastic stuff.

Last edited:

DukeNukem00

Banned
I wouldn't call it balls ugly. Its probably the most advanced unreal engine 1 game on the market, released at the tailgate of that engine's life. Weather effects and textures are awesome. It's funny how Bioshock 1 implements plasmids in a worse way all those years later, because you have to switch to either a weapon or a plasmid. While Undying in 2001 lets you use a gun and a power at the same time, which will take until Bioshock 2 in 2010 to remedy.

There's also a fantastic world in game, Otherworld which im sure Doom 3 took direct inspiration from for the Hell level.

All in all, this is one of the best games ive ever played. Just a sublime experience and expertly crafted. The way the game is put together, with the house and the land around it opening up as you go. Time traveling back in time. Having members of the family as such unique bosses. It's a most unique game. You are playing it with a constant wondering and curiosity because it's far removed from a standard or banal game where you just go through the motions. This game stands at the top of the genre.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I enjoyed it back in the day but haven't tried it recently, I too like the look of it though, makes me feel really cosy. Are you playing on your CRT? Probably looks better on a CRT I think.

You should also check out this OP, I think you'd maybe like it:

THIS GAME !!! Loved it but never finished.
Same with Undying. These 90s and very early 2000s graphics in 1st and 3rd person shooters are something else.
Requiem is very forgotten but very unique.

Btw. Anyone remember game "AMEN" ? Was is cancelled or is it actually requiem ?

DukeNukem00

Banned
Requiem was not really that amazing unfortunately. But it is the first game in history to feature bullet time as a mechanic.

It was one of several defensive power called Warp Time.

This is the first game Cory Balrog worked on. In No Clip's documentary about Half Life he mentions how the studio felt when the demo for Half Life went out - he said the HL demo was better than their entire game and the entire studio was sitting in silence after experiencing the industry changing phenomenon that was Half Life. Just the demo, called HL Day One

element

I enjoyed it back in the day but haven't tried it recently, I too like the look of it though, makes me feel really cosy. Are you playing on your CRT? Probably looks better on a CRT I think.

You should also check out this OP, I think you'd maybe like it:

Requiem was awesome and also for the time looked good but ran really well!

That game is genuinely spooky and great fun to play as well. You can get it running pretty well these days but it takes some work and it has a tendency to crash.

Mr.ODST

Undying I remember buying on that weird PC make with the white and blue labels when I was like 11, such a great game and genuinely scared me at the time, had some amazing atmosphere.

VN1X

Banned
Undying was great but Clive barker's Jericho is where it's at baby. That shit was legit fun
Played that through numerous times and is probably one of my most cherished 360 games.

I never finished Undying but I still loved it. Genuinely scary in places as well.

Elginer

I bought this day one back in High School and to this day I still adore it. Game was legit creepy as fuck. Interesting side note it was developed by Visceral Games at the time called EARs/ EA Redwood

Great game. Don’t think it’s ugly, either, especially not compared to other Unreal Engine games out at the time. The first act in particular has some of the most atmospheric outdoor segments I’ve ever seen in a video game. Don’t like the parts leading up to the end, though.

Krathoon

The modeling in the game is very segmented, if I remember correctly. I remember some of the scripting being glitchy.
It was back when Unreal games were a little wobbly.

I remember playing it to completion in 2013 and was impressed by the artistic environments, especially the demonic dimension of Oneiros with it's Arabian inspired architecture. Shame the multiplayer component was scrapped due to poor sales as it could have been something special.

4469388289_1a1c1cb964_z.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

Top Bottom