• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Romeo + Juliet your opinion of the movie.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
da05db8b56a9a7d9ec994ce6d857e9ef8764b1ba3a778abd59c5312df6565ba3.jpg

After the monstrosity of Tom Holland's new movie.

What do you think of this adaptation of Leonardo Dicaprio.

I saw it at the time 5 years after its premiere.

I thought it was a good and innovative movie, adapted to modernity in history.

But I see it had mixed reviews.

MV5BODAyMzAwMjEtNDY3Zi00YTg0LThjYzEtYmM3OTUwNTA1Zjg5XkEyXkFqcGdeQW1pYnJ5YW50._V1_QL75_UX500_CR0,0,500,281_.jpg

HAYA8U5A

Hated it the first time I saw it but I seemed to hate everything with any bit of romance around that age. Future viewings as I got older changed that though and I enjoyed it a lot.

The Tom Holland one is a stage play not a movie BTW. Still seems like it will be a monstrosity though.

Last edited:

Mohonky

I was 12/13 when this came out, so not exactly the target audience and didn't like it. It was interesting visually but didnt gel with the Shakesperean dialogue and story in general.

Now however, I do appreciate it for what it is. As far as bringing an old play to life on film for a modern audience, I can't think of anything else like it and it's actually striking in the way it conveys the original story in a modern way and the casting was spot on.

Also yeh, killer soundtrack.

Last edited:
I strongly dislike it as it fails to set the scene as play intended and acting ends up being try-hard cringe instead of intimately heartwarming. However, I prefer stage plays and simple props.

Goss Harag

Neo Member
"After the monstrosity of Tom Holland's new movie"

It's a play. It's not even been shown yet. But it's definetly a "monstrosity". I wonder why you would think that?

I had to study this and the 68 film for my GCSE's, so I ended up having to rewatch them dozens of times so I quickly got bored of them. Wouldn't watch them ever again if I had the choice, which is a shame, as the 68 film had tits in it, and the Leo film was pretty good for a modern take on it

Hudo

Haven't seen it (and tbh Romeo and Juliet is not among my favorite works by Shakespeare). But I can recommend the recent Macbeth movie starring Denzel Washington (Apple+). That movie is dope and Denzel is great as Macbeth.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
It's a classic in my opinion. A true adaptation of Shakespeare set in the then alternate version of the 90's. So many of the scenes are just gorgeous. Romeo spotting Juliet through the fish tank. Mercutio suddenly bursting out into a full theater song piece. The sad death of Mercutio.

John Leguizamo put on an absolute acting clinic when at the time he was seen as nothing more than a clownish buffoon as an entertainer.

I could go on and on. It's one of my favorite movies ever.

Last edited:
Loved it, one of the few double dips where I got the Blu Ray as well as the DVD. It's excessive in the best possible way.
Like Mercutio's death scene with an actual hurricane approaching the set, no need for CGI and wind machines for dramatic effect.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Enjoyed the movie, it’s really a modern view of Romeo and Juliet with the Shakespearean dialogue. It has a killer OST too.

Tams

Why is Holland's new stage play a monstrosity? It's just a black actor playing Juliet.

It doesn't look promising for many reasons, but in regards to your comment, Juliet is supposed to be beautiful*...

*and no, I don't mean anything to do with skin colour.

winjer

Gold Member
In the eyes of Romeo.

Yes, beaty is in the eye of the beholder, but damn, that women is ugly as sin.
For people in the audience, it makes it very difficult to maintain the suspension of disbelief, that anyone would ever consider her the most beautiful women in Verona.

mortal

Gold Member
As I mentioned in that other thread, it's one of my favorite renditions. The use of SoCal for Verona is such an unusual choice for Shakespeare, but it works so well. It's so stylish and peak 90s.
Love the soundtrack, love the performances, especially Harold Perrineau as Mercutio. I love that the pistols are referred to as swords.
Also, I'm convinced that FFVIII drew some of its inspiration from Baz Luhrmann's version.

Reactions: Gp1

jason10mm

Gold Member
I had to study this and the 68 film for my GCSE's, so I ended up having to rewatch them dozens of times so I quickly got bored of them. Wouldn't watch them ever again if I had the choice, which is a shame, as the 68 film had tits in it, and the Leo film was pretty good for a modern take on it
Uhhhhh, 14 years old at the time, iirc.

Wouldn't surprise me if that scene gets censored from here on out, same with American Beauty.

Kiwicha

I remember watching this movie in the theater, (probably a couple of years after its release, since some movies took that long to arrive here in those years) being bored out of my mind and demanding to leave because I wanted to watch Pinocchio or something.
I was five or six and my cousin took me everywhere so she could hang out with a boy (something she wasn't allow to).
I've always thought of it as a chick flick.

HAYA8U5A

It doesn't look promising for many reasons, but in regards to your comment, Juliet is supposed to be beautiful*...

*and no, I don't mean anything to do with skin colour.

Yeah, I wouldn't have any desire to see it for multiple reasons, and not just because I don't live in London.

First, the leads are both problems, not just her. Tom Holland is just as miscast as Romeo as he was Nathan Drake to me. One can overlook that Juliet is described as having fair skin since there will be different renditions of this story that will lead to changes, so her race isn't an issue at all to me. The 1996 film has characters far removed from the Shakespeare play on top of the modern setting, but it worked, and I would argue that Harold Perrineau as Mercutio delivered a scene-stealing performance. Romeo Must Die was loosely based on Romeo & Juliet, and Aaliyah was believable as a Juliet-inspired character, so it can work fine with a black actress. But when so much of the story centers on Juliet's beauty, this actress just ain't it to me. Sorry! Based on what I have seen of her in Bad Education, I wouldn't say she is a very gifted actress either. When the two leads are horribly miscast, it doesn't inspire confidence in the rest of the project.

Then there is the rest of the cast, or lack thereof. Ten of the characters considered to be among the main characters of the original play are completely removed from this, right down to the leads only having one parent each. Kind of hard to be invested in a feud of families when they reduce a cast to a level that seems more like a neighbor squabble than a feud of two major families. That brings into question Juliet's beauty and the major family feud. Arguably the two biggest central plotlines of Romeo and Juliet. At this point, you should just write your own play.

But the worst offender is that Jamie Lloyd's plays simply look like pretentious high brow artsy theatre garbage to me. There is minimalist theatre because you are a small production that doesn't have a budget, and then there is having a budget you dump into one well-known star for attention and trying to sell the lack of costumes and sets as some bold vision. Then you need to hire an unknown cast to surround your one attention-getter that you have to cut so many main characters from. It is even being reported that Romeo will be a Capulet instead of Montague, and vice versa for Juliet (One would assume but who knows, maybe Incest is going to be a bold new vision in this version). Is there any logical reason that something like that needs to be done? No, you just change something like that for the sake of being as pretentious as you can possibly be because it is a bold new vision! So really, the casting doesn't even matter because this stuff doesn't change with perfect casting.

All that being said, this 1996 film divided people, and I like it. Romeo Must Die divided people, and I like it. The 2013 film divided people, and a lot of people found Hailee Steinfeld miscast, and I... well, I have never seen it, so no comment. The 1968 film was too far before my time to know the reception back then, and I just know there is a divide in modern times due to Olivia Hussey's age (plus her recent claims she was told nothing would be seen). But I enjoyed that version. 1968: Best film for purists of the original material. 1996: Best film for an alternate vision that doesn't manage to stray drastically from the original material despite such a big difference in the time setting. Romeo Must Die: Best film for people who are somewhat interested in the story but need more drastic changes, Jet Li kicking ass and a great soundtrack. So all the power to people who enjoy these Jamie Lloyd-style plays. I just really, really, really hate them.

Last edited:

Dev1lXYZ

For the time, the Leo version had a huge cultural impact with high schoolers.. It was like Tetsuya Nemora (Hot off the heels of FF7) had been tapped to retell Romeo and Juliet to me. It blended masculine and feminine elements and made them cool. Between Romeo+Juliet and Titanic, the masses were down for romantic elements on a whole. Final Fantasy 8 drew elements from both.

P.S. I paid attention to Baz Lhurman after this one. He’s made some really fun films.

Last edited:

Monkfish877

Amazing movie, loved the soundtrack. Loved Lhurman's take on the story, the film nowadays doesn't get much attention imho, it's a shame.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

I liked it. Never watched it with the missus though and when I said we should rewatch it together (We didn't even know each other when it came out) she emotionally damaged me.

violence

My school played this for us. I really hated it at 13. I started doing homework instead at some point during it. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Jenov

Great version, superb acting from Mercutio and the soundtrack was beautiful. I think this same director went on to direct one of my favorite musical movies a few years later: Moulin Rouge.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I was 14? Or the tits were?
Both, probably.

I think I was in 8th grade when I saw it in class, so that flash of nudity set us on FIRE.

Of course back then pron was hard to come.by (heh heh) and National geographic with their photos of top less tribal women was a legit resource :p

AJUMP23

All the girls around me that I knew loved it. I didn't care for it. But at the time the movie had a ton of hype.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I've tried watching this movie several times, but I always drop out. Just hate it. I'm not really into Baz Luhrmann's style (I liked most of Elvis, didn't like the anachronistic soundtrack, god I hated Moulin Rouge), but I'm pretty into the goofy stuff like the Sword-branded guns. I also had the impression the actors didn't understand their own lines. Romeo & Juliet's never been one of my favorite Shakespeare plays though.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
da05db8b56a9a7d9ec994ce6d857e9ef8764b1ba3a778abd59c5312df6565ba3.jpg

After the monstrosity of Tom Holland's new movie.

What do you think of this adaptation of Leonardo Dicaprio.

I saw it at the time 5 years after its premiere.

I thought it was a good and innovative movie, adapted to modernity in history.

But I see it had mixed reviews.

MV5BODAyMzAwMjEtNDY3Zi00YTg0LThjYzEtYmM3OTUwNTA1Zjg5XkEyXkFqcGdeQW1pYnJ5YW50._V1_QL75_UX500_CR0,0,500,281_.jpg

Umm... Tom Holland's thing is a THEATER PLAY IN ENGLAND ... Not a movie.

Just wanted to clarify

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Doesn’t change the fact that it is a monstrosity.

I don't get how except y'all were saying the girl is "ugly" ...

Edit: I don't think she's ugly at all. Maybe not classically beautiful like Angela Bassett or Lupita N'Yongo... But definitely not ugly.

That said, I understand why (at least he) HAYA8U5A HAYA8U5A thinks the stage play is a monstrosity in waiting

Last edited:
Top Bottom