• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Robocop 2...a licensed movie tie in game that doesn't suck and ISNT a huge property

VGEsoterica

Granted we get some pretty decent movie tie in games of big properties lately but there are definitely some smaller properties like Robocop that actually got an entry or two that were 100% legit and better than you'd expect a licensed game to be. In 1991 I'd say 90% of games based on movie properties were hot garbage (think LJN and their entire output on the NES) but now and again a seriously awesome licensed game could sneak out.

That's the arcade version of Robocop 2 from Data East. It's an absolute blast to play; awesome gameplay, solid graphics for 1991, some decent violence and overall from start to finish just a super competent and engaging beat em up with a few light gun-esque bonus stages. 10/10 would recommend but damn if it isn't a rarely mentioned and obscure game at this point in time.

But that got me thinking...what other lesser properties got awesome games? I can't think of many. I'm not talking the TMNT of the Batman's of the world...I am talking the Robocops lol

Curious what others think

FStubbs

That was in the era before companies realized that licensed games sold about the same regardless of quality so it was more profitable to not put in the effort. So many licensed games back then actually were good.

I remember loving Goonies II on NES. I don't know if it would have held up today and I don't really think it felt reminiscent of the movie, but I thought it was great at the time.

ManaByte

That was in the era before companies realized that licensed games sold about the same regardless of quality so it was more profitable to not put in the effort. So many licensed games back then actually were good.

The Super Star Wars Trilogy
Terminator on Genesis
Sunsoft's Batman on Genesis
Konami's Batman Returns on SNES
Probe's Alien 3 on SNES and Genesis (they're different games)
Stargate on SNES
Aladdin on Genesis
Sony Imagesoft's Hook on Sega CD (The SNES version looked better, but the Sega CD version had Redbook John Williams audio)

Kuranghi

The movie is also way better than you would expect. Too bad we didnt get a third movie.

Yeah I still like it even though it doesn't have that special something the verhoeven original had, some seems are outright silly af, namely the electrical box bit and every scene where the kid manipulates the drug addicted woman. Also the little league team part is very funny.

You can forgive the electrical box bit as just a maguffin to move the plot along but the kid + woman parts are just nonsense, like why wouldn't she just beat the utter shit out of that kid and take the drugs off of him :messenger_tears_of_joy:

This trailer basically spoils the whole movie ha.

yurinka

Not sure how the gameplay of both arcade games aged, but back then they were impressive games, at least the first one.

Last edited:
Reactions: TLZ

Neff

One good movie, two shitty sequels, and an animated series. Not to mention the Dark Horse comics. Yup, in the late 80s/early 90s Robocop was pretty big.

Don't forget the dodgy toy line

FYw8mk.jpg

Quasicat

I loved licensed games growing up with Robocop, TMNT, Mickey Mousecapade, etc.
Then I bought Back to the Future which was nothing like the movie and had horrendous music.

Japan got the second one on Super NES and it seems so much better than what we got.

ManaByte

Don't forget the dodgy toy line

FYw8mk.jpg

I had some of those, including the ED-209. They fired caps.

If they tried to release that with today's helicopter parents, the makers would be cancelled into oblivion.

Last edited:

ManaByte

there is another one coming supposedly

Robocop Returns was a movie Neil Blomkamp was doing that would've ignored Robocop 2 and 3. He started it after Ridley Scott killed his Aliens sequel that would've ignored 3 and 4. But he bailed from it so someone else is doing it.

Robocop Returns was a movie Neil Blomkamp was doing that would've ignored Robocop 2 and 3. He started it after Ridley Scott killed his Aliens sequel that would've ignored 3 and 4. But he bailed from it so someone else is doing it.
Peter Weller wasn’t interested either.

Top Bottom