• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

road runner is upgrading its services

Status
Not open for further replies.

Culex

Banned
I wish I had Road Runner in my area. Damn Charter has the max of 3mbit for their highest package; meanwhile, 10 minutes out of my area is Optimum Online.

*cries*

jedimike

I really don't care about download speeds... 3Mbps is plenty. I just wish cable companies would uncap the uploads. With VoIP and online gaming, 256Kbps is not nearly enough.

Odysseus

Banned
They're doing this to stem the flow to lower priced DSL competitors.

Frankly, as a Road Runner customer, I wish they would drop prices instead. My DLs are fast enough. I can see why they wouldn't want to do that, however.

Meier

Our upgrade is like the first month of January or something when I go back up to school, oh well. RoadRunner is a great service though -- our family has it since like 1998 or so and have basically no complaints at all.

Gantz

Banned
Time Warner/RR is the worst fucking cable company next to Comcrap. I recently moved to NYC and took a chance with Verizon 5mps DSL and pleasantly surprised with the speeds. Gotta love the 80kb/sec uploads.

Rorschach

fart said:
holy shit why am i on earthlink then. they're the same damn price :/
Earthlink uses Timr Warner/Comcast cable. Basically, they're just a middleman. For whatever retarded reason, in some areas, you can only get cable with Earthlink even though TW is providing the actual service, billing, and technical support. It used to be that way here, but it recently changed. Just in time to take advantage of this.

fart

Savant
Rorschach said:
Earthlink uses Timr Warner/Comcast cable. Basically, they're just a middleman. For whatever retarded reason, in some areas, you can only get cable with Earthlink even though TW is providing the actual service, billing, and technical support. It used to be that way here, but it recently changed. Just in time to take advantage of this.
it's a question of who does the routing. we went with earthlink because they had an intro deal like 39 for the first year, but that year is up so...

Phoenix

Gattsu25 said:
as far as I know, RR = Time Warner

This is correct. Road Runner is the Time Warner cable company. TW was planning to beef it up through acquisition of another cable company, but things didn't work out :)

B'z-chan

Banned
RR was a part of ATT the sold to TW, which turned into ATTBI, which got eaten by Comcast.

Its nice to get 8mbits from comcast and i'm only paying for normal service.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
So, what did happen with Verizon DSL, exactly? My connection seems to support much greater dl speeds... anyone have any details?

SKluck

Banned
Comcast is rolling out their own speed increases ATM. 4/384 for the base, and 5/768 for the Pro. Calling them silver and gold now though I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom