• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OpenTTD is coming to Steam April 2nd

Bullet Club

OpenTTD on Steam

As of today, you can Wishlist OpenTTD on Steam.

Historically, OpenTTD always had a single home from where we distributed the game. We used to be hosted on SourceForge (you know you are old, if you remember that being a thing :D), and slowly moved towards our own self-created distribution methods. These days, we mostly distribute our game via our website.

But times are changing, and so is our hair. Over the last few months, we have silently been working to become a bit more visible in the world. Don’t worry, not for reasons you might think: OpenTTD has as many active users as it had in 2007. But more because we no longer think it is the right approach to only distribute via our own website.

This became painfully apparent when we noticed other people post OpenTTD on some stores. They are not always updated with new releases, sometimes even slacking behind a few years. And maybe more important to us: we can not guarantee that the uploaded version is unmodified and is the version as we intended. So, instead of fighting it, why not turn around and join them! Why not release our own, verified, builds on those stores!

And this is exactly what we have been working on lately. And when I say “we”, a bit ironic to me, I mean the two developers that are around longest (myself and orudge) ;)

A while back orudge added OpenTTD to the Microsoft Store. And today, I am happy to announce we will be on Steam too!

Well, we are on Steam, but we haven’t released anything there yet (sorry that I got your hopes up, just to squash them right after :( ). This is partially because of how Steam works, but also because we know we can bring a better experience for Steam with our upcoming release. That brings me to the most exciting news: if everything goes as planned, we will release OpenTTD 1.11 on Steam on the first of April, 2021! And that is not even an April fools’ joke!

You can already Wishlist OpenTTD today .. and till we release on Steam, you can find our game via our website ;)

Enjoy!

OpenTTD is a business simulation game in which players earn money by transporting passengers and cargo via road, rail, water, and air. It is an open-source remake and expansion of the 1995 Chris Sawyer video game Transport Tycoon Deluxe.

Build​

Connect industries and cities on procedurally-generated maps of up to 4096 x 4096 tiles by building a network of roads, railways, docks, and airports. Navigate dense city streets, cross oceans and rivers, and conquer high mountains in one of four climates.

Transport​

Work alone or with friends to complete production chains and transport finished goods to towns. Assemble a fleet of hundreds of vehicles, transferring cargo as needed in an interconnected, multimodal network with optional cargo destinations.

Upgrade​

Keep up with technological improvements through the years as towns grow; new modes of transport are invented; and industries appear, change production, or fail. Expand stations and build network capacity to keep up with demand and avoid delays.

Extend​

Customize your OpenTTD experience via community-made mods downloaded through an in-game content service, including real-world vehicles, new industry sets, custom scenarios, and more.

Free and open-source​

OpenTTD is free and open-source software, licensed under the GNU General Public License version 2.0. OpenTTD is under ongoing development. OpenTTD is not an abbreviation of anything.

Top Bottom