• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal |OT| Live. Die. Repeat.

Agree with you but if you got some parasites those could make your malfunctions extremely bad and extremely hard to fix. Also after packing 2 malfunctions you can't pick anything more, any malignant stuff you pick will be automatically destroyed.

I'm honestly happy to have difference experiences around here, including favorite weapons. This describes play styles as well.

i agree. You have to manage your malignancies intelligently and not go overboard.

skit_data

Had my single worst death ever in this game just now... Title says it all

Edit: Huh, actually discovered something in this clip. I accidentaly fire on one of those f#%?ing towers and it gets doted and loses health. Is it possible to kill those to make the boss fight easier? If so, I’m even more mad since it was one of those killed me

Edit 2: Had the best run ever when i tried again. Got tons of protection, resinous shield and the craziest artifact that changed the maximize resin requirement from 3 to 2. Killed the ever living shit out of Nemesis.

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
Maybe it through the 3rd biome boss finally and beat the 4th one on the 2nd try. nice to see that I stay at the fourth one now. i was getting bored of having to start over from the beginning each time

2AdEPT

Only being able to rest one time in the ship now is a huge nerf. It’s much harder to raise max integrity in 1 and 4 to set you up for the later biomes.

Gotta git gud I gues

Im trying to git gud but I didnt download the patch...caught it just in time. I wouldnt have got the first boss aseasy as i did without the extra bar....... and collecting a few cubes will be in order before I get the patch. Im not fairing well in biome 2 so far :(

Hey does anyone know what weapon stability does? Got a hollow seeker 5 with 4 stability bars...not as good as an extra 3 damage right?

Last edited:

Dr Bass

Finally beat the first Biome. I think this game is tremendous and it’s completely taken me by surprise. Ive never had such a difficult feeling game also feel totally fair and just loads of fun every time out. I think the metacritic for this one is too low and I wonder how much reviewers really got into it. There is just so much here from the gameplay, the story and how it’s all woven together. I would call this game shockingly masterful IMO.

Finally beat the first Biome. I think this game is tremendous and it’s completely taken me by surprise. Ive never had such a difficult feeling game also feel totally fair and just loads of fun every time out. I think the metacritic for this one is too low and I wonder how much reviewers really got into it. There is just so much here from the gameplay, the story and how it’s all woven together. I would call this game shockingly masterful IMO.
You’ve echoed my thoughts. This is my first ever rogue like game and glad I checked it out

SCB3

All I remember is the reviews for Demons Souls back in 2009, it only sold about 300,000 copies worldwide as well, Dark Souls saved that genre

So 7 purple things for a one of spawn point? Rip off
100% that... only really worth it if you're on a particularly good setup and don't want to risk a mistake losing you all progress. But, put it all on defense and the perk to recover your integrity when you're low and you're pretty much immortal.

Better use the ether to get unique items in that thingy at room 1 (if you're going for platinum that is) :)

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Think I'm out - I took a break to finish The Witcher 3 (nearly) and binge Resident Evil 8 and I'm just don't feel like going back to Returnal at all.

It's a good game, but it's not a very good roguelite specifically. So many other games I've played and will continue to play are better in that regard - Isaac, Hades, Dead Cells, Noita etc etc - where Returnal is more the sum of its parts. I had fun with it, but I'm not too fussed about beating it.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
So, according to my screen shots it took me 15 hours and 26 deaths to kill the first boss.

At that point I was down to a sliver of health and had a parasite that hurt me when I picked up items.

So I peeking into biome 2 and then tried to go back to my ship to heal (thought I heard you could do that) but I was locked out due to the terrain.

So I put the game down for the night. That was two nights ago. Went to play again and saw my run was closed due to another update...

I don't care about not being able to save during a run, but if I can't even trust it when I suspend the game... yeah I know I should've turned off auto update.

So I'm done for now. Too much frustration and I have to face the fact that a game like this plus mild fomo isn't really good for me. Full price was a bit much this time.
You dont need to fight the boss again. Now you have unlock biome 2.
Also you will die a lot you just need to be patient. I die in the biome 3 had to explore fully world 1 and 2 to get upgrades and health and extra life if you dont rush you will make it but if you die and really want to go back where you left and not explore, you definitely will die

Last edited:

Shmunter

100% that... only really worth it if you're on a particularly good setup and don't want to risk a mistake losing you all progress. But, put it all on defense and the perk to recover your integrity when you're low and you're pretty much immortal.

Better use the ether to get unique items in that thingy at room 1 (if you're going for platinum that is) :)
Worse yet, I spent holding a basic pistol and sweet fa. Has no idea what to expect

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
I finished act 3 and still don't understand the story.

giphy.gif

SCB3

I'm very quickly falling out with this game over some of its bs, that second boss still remains undefeated and I cannot seem to get a good stroke of RNG to fix it, like take the run I just did after taking a break for RE Village:

1 large Health Kit
1 Small Health Kit
1 artifact that gives me health back when it's low

But I had to grind 400 obliged for that Artifact, no option for astronauts, no decent weapons in either biome and then I get to the boss

I found a pistol with Voidbeam and replaced my level 0 Hollow with Horizontal Blast, this should be fine, slower than Id like sure but still good. Nope! The last part of this fight the boss goes so fucking fast at me I didn't even get a chance to use a health kit and died....

Back to square one I suppose

Mr Hyde

And the game crashed again. In biome 6 with another good build. It's borderline unplayable at this point, having to worry all the time if the game is gonna fuck you.

Last edited:

RGB'D

Returnal 2 could be amazing with some changes. I've put returnal down at this point and am running through bloodborne again. Great framework but this game needs some heavy tuning and the glitches in a game where you die and lose everything is unacceptable. Great concept, pretty decent execution, needs heavy tuning.. might be worth picking up 3-6 months from now after housemarque fixes some stuff and hopefully balances the rng a little.

Ogbert

I'm very quickly falling out with this game over some of its bs, that second boss still remains undefeated and I cannot seem to get a good stroke of RNG to fix it, like take the run I just did after taking a break for RE Village:

1 large Health Kit
1 Small Health Kit
1 artifact that gives me health back when it's low

But I had to grind 400 obliged for that Artifact, no option for astronauts, no decent weapons in either biome and then I get to the boss

I found a pistol with Voidbeam and replaced my level 0 Hollow with Horizontal Blast, this should be fine, slower than Id like sure but still good. Nope! The last part of this fight the boss goes so fucking fast at me I didn't even get a chance to use a health kit and died....

Back to square one I suppose
Unlucky.

You just got screwed with guns. Carbine or hollowseeker works for the second boss.

Try and get the Astronaut too.

Mr Hyde

I'm done with this game now. So fucking disappointed. I would've finished the game by now, but nope, it continues to fuck me over constantly and waste my time by being a buggy piece of shit. It drains all the fun out having to build your character and then you suddenly get the middle finger. Worst experience I've had in a long time. Makes me never wanna buy another game day 1 again, it's just a waste of money and patience.

Reactions: Rea

Dibils2k

good build and as i am going around to improve more it puts me in a room where there is no going back... and just a gold room and i end up dying... fuck this game sometimes.

time for a break me thinks

Gargauth

Only being able to rest one time in the ship now is a huge nerf. It’s much harder to raise max integrity in 1 and 4 to set you up for the later biomes.

Gotta git gud I guess haha
I disabled auto updates, so that I at least have some decent chance when I get back to it. Hopefully I wont be forced to update it.

wOs

Beat the second boss in my first shot yesterday after taking a break for a week (adulting) and it felt great. I beat it with the smallest sliver of health left and had a dark souls high afterwards.
I can go from 1right to 3 easily.
totally jazzed me up knowing that.

decisions

I haven't died after my first playthrough and finished the game again two more times now.

I feel like i have transcended beyond gid gudness.

The game’s skill ceiling is actually too low I think. Nex Machina for instance is way harder than this game at high difficulties. If you’re a hardcore fan of the gameplay and want to keep taking it further, to be honest there is some challenge left to be desired. I wish they had added in some more difficulty settings or maybe high-stake run options like a Heaven or Hell mode.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
The game’s skill ceiling is actually too low I think. Nex Machina for instance is way harder than this game at high difficulties. If you’re a hardcore fan of the gameplay and want to keep taking it further, to be honest there is some challenge left to be desired. I wish they had added in some more difficulty settings or maybe high-stake run options like a Heaven or Hell mode.
I took a while to get to the point of being so familiar with the game that it seems there is no situation i can't handle anymore.

For example, i played more hours of Nex Machina and i'm still unable to beat the final boss.

But now i really try to embrace everything Returnal has to offer.
I wasn't shy to use the malignant items and chests from the beginning but now i actually use it to make the game a bit harder.
Sometimes i get so lucky with this that the game becomes easier by the minute.

I said it more than once but i think the game is balanced just fine.
You just got to use everything and play around with everything to see what suits you.

I would agree that the game could benefit from a higher difficulty setting for the future.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
wouldn't be funny if instead of adding saving they had a more difficult mode.

Dr Bass

I'm done with this game now. So fucking disappointed. I would've finished the game by now, but nope, it continues to fuck me over constantly and waste my time by being a buggy piece of shit. It drains all the fun out having to build your character and then you suddenly get the middle finger. Worst experience I've had in a long time. Makes me never wanna buy another game day 1 again, it's just a waste of money and patience.
Weird. I have 8 hours in without a single crash or issue. I wonder if it could be a system level thing? Mine is 2 months old or so? Crashing would definitely make the game impossible to make progress, but the disparity I experiences is strange.

Dr Bass

Think I'm out - I took a break to finish The Witcher 3 (nearly) and binge Resident Evil 8 and I'm just don't feel like going back to Returnal at all.

It's a good game, but it's not a very good roguelite specifically. So many other games I've played and will continue to play are better in that regard - Isaac, Hades, Dead Cells, Noita etc etc - where Returnal is more the sum of its parts. I had fun with it, but I'm not too fussed about beating it.
Interesting. I beat Hades (which I loved) and tried to get into dead cells. I think Returnal is better than both and definitely takes more skill.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Interesting. I beat Hades (which I loved) and tried to get into dead cells. I think Returnal is better than both and definitely takes more skill.

I think the skill thing is part of the reason I like the others more, not because I'm averse to challenge at all, but one of the reasons I like roguelites is getting wildly different runs where some are hilariously bad and fall apart, and others you borderline break the game as a supreme god.

Returnal felt very very samey every single run. I'm not actually sure you could make it feel very different for the type of game it is honestly, but the fact that you see the same handful of room layouts stitched together each time definitely didn't help. Something like Binding of Isaac feels randomised out the ass with an ungodly high number of possible combinations of things happening - here, each time I would clear the forest again, run back through for health upgrades, use whichever the best pistol or AR I found was, die late in biome 3, usually to floaty laser things. And all that would easily take longer than a run of any of the other games for me.

It's a great game, just didn't scratch that itch for me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom