• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro City Rampage "DX" update comes WiiWare,PC,360,PSV/3, new on PS4&Mac,AU release!

TheMoon

UPDATE: Coming to all platforms, actually!

https://twitter.com/RetroCR/status/529303608626380801
B1h206QCcAEt6UY.png

UPDATE 2: The Mac & PS4 versions are actually new ports!

UPDATE 3: Press release:

Watch
“What’s New in ‘DX’?” on YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuVrtMQUBxw

Monday, November 3rd, 2014
'Retro City Rampage: DX', the beefed up remastered version of the original game is coming to every platform the original debuted on, along with brand new ports to PS4 and Mac OS X.
Specifically: PC, Mac, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, PS Vita, WiiWare, Nintendo 3DS & Xbox 360. PlayStation players will be able to enjoy 3X Cross Buy, with the new PS4, PS3 and PS Vita versions all sold together as one. PC/Mac players will be able to enjoy 2X Cross Buy.
The Mac version will be available for free to all who purchase or have purchased the PC version, and vice versa.

When? It all starts rolling out NEXT WEEK!

Retro City Rampage: DX will hit PlayStation November 11th and WiiWare on November 13th. It'll hit PC/Mac next week as well (exact day TBD) and Xbox 360 (hopefully next week) too. All platforms have gone gold, but a few are still waiting for their exact release dates.

In addition to the new platforms, RCR will also make its Australian and New Zealand debuts on all platforms, formerly held back by the required rating classification. This means that Xbox 360 and Wii players over there will finally be able to get their hands on it!

OH...
and more BIG NEWS is coming, but I figured this was enough news for one day ;)
--
Best Regards,
Brian Provinciano
Developer of Retro City Rampage
------

Original:

Crazy tales from a world where WiiWare is still alive!

Vblank have unfinished business with WiiWare

Fans of Retro City Rampage on WiiWare will have further cause for celebration as Vblank Entertainment have revealed to us that it will be treated to a free 'DX' update next week on Thursday 13th November.

For ‘DX’, every single mission's been re-tuned; vehicles, weapons, challenges, visual effects, visual enhancements, checkpoints, difficulty, and challenges to name a few. With everything from tweaks to the game’s core to the sprinkles on top such as parking garages and waypoints, it’s more than just a new coat of paint.

This update makes the WiiWare version on par with the other systems, only missing HD video filters and zoom modes. It supports the Wii Remote, Classic Controller and Game Cube Controller, with an optional ‘shake’ gesture exclusive to the Wii Remote.

In addition to this there is more good news for folks in Australia and New Zealand as the game has now received OFLC certification, so you'll be able to play it soon too. Does this make it the last WiiWare game ever to be released? Possibly so!

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/11/retro_city_rampage_gets_beefed_up_on_wiiware_with_dx_update

L~A

Wow, that's pretty awesome of the dev.. I wonder if he managed to get free update from Nintendo for this? I remember you had to pay for updates on WiiWare. It was certainly not an easy thing to do.

Really, the only thing missing is a Wii U / 3DS cross-buy version, but let's not get greedy.

Considering the archaic sales threshold for WiiWare (updated versions act as a reset button to your progress) and that they've rated it for Australia (though it that rating should be multiformat so will also cover 3DS) I guess you could say this is fan service.

SerTapTap

Wow, that's pretty awesome of the dev.. I wonder if they managed to get free update from Nintendo for this?

If Wiiware still has the old policies about minimum payout, he probably did it because he wouldn't ever earn money from a re-release anyway.

The Wii version is a pure labor of love, I'd never expect a dev to bother. Hope the other versions make enough real money for it all to be worth it.

Considering the archaic sales threshold for WiiWare (updated versions act as a reset button to your progress) and that they've rated it for Australia (though it that rating should be multiformat so will also cover 3DS) I guess you could say this is fan service.

The original release was fanservice. IIRC, he knowingly acknowledged he wasn't going to make shit on Wii.

TheMoon

Considering the WiiWare version in itself only was released as "fan service" (= Vblank knowing full well it would never make any money there but it was promised so he still did it) this certainly isn't unusual vor Vblank.

If a mod could update the title to reflect DX update hitting all platforms that would be swell!

Bricky

Wow, that's pretty awesome of the dev.. I wonder if he managed to get free update from Nintendo for this? I remember you had to pay for updates on WiiWare. It was certainly not an easy thing to do.

Well, since WiiWare is pretty much dead and he was one of the last developers actually providing a downloadable release worth a damn to the service I think Nintendo went easy on him.

Xellos

Pretty cool of the dev to update the Wii version, especially considering the whole 'sales threshold' business with WiiWare. Did he ever hit the threshold?

kunonabi

Been meaning to pick Retro City Rampage for awhile but got turned off when the wiiware version ended up being inferior. This fixes that so I'll be picking up the wiiware version whenever the update drops.

Eusis

I'm kinda surprised he didn't go forth with getting it on Wii U, but perhaps that'd just be even more effort wasted (though I half suspect it'd actually sell OK there relative to the Wii... but probably wasted effort nevertheless.)

TheMoon

I'm kinda surprised he didn't go forth with getting it on Wii U, but perhaps that'd just be even more effort wasted (though I half suspect it'd actually sell OK there relative to the Wii... but probably wasted effort nevertheless.)

He already killed himself making the original and then the DX version for 3DS and probably again while updating them all and porting to PS4 and Mac now. He's only human. Let's not forget Brian is a one man band!

JP

Lots of info on the PlayStation Blog.

PS Blog Stuff said:
Retro City Rampage: DX, the top-to-bottom remaster of the original game will make its PS4 debut along with the brand new PS3 and PS Vita DX versions this 12th November, complete with cross buy and cross save for all three consoles.

You’ll get all three for €7.99, with an additional 20% off for PlayStation Plus members during launch week. That’s only around €3 for each platform, and much less than the original RCR’s launch price!

Owners of the original Retro City Rampage for PS3 and PS Vita can transfer their save games to the new DX version via Cross-Save. The new DX version is a separate purchase, but keep in mind that with DX, you’re getting the PS4 version, a brand new Trophy set and new leaderboards. Owners of the original RCR who transfer their save game to DX will also earn a shiny elite star next to their score on the leaderboards.

Retro City Rampage: DX includes both RCR:DX and the original RCR for the purists. Big overhauls were made to re-balance the missions, difficulty, weapons and even police AI, but if you want to stick with the original version, you can flip the switch under the Help & Options menu.

The original Retro City Rampage will be delisted from the PS Store and replaced with Retro City Rampage: DX in order to avoid customer confusion.

TheMoon

The PR also reconfirms that an update for the 3DS version will is coming that will support the New Nintendo 3DS and it's additional buttons. But of course that will take a while since it's not out for a few more months in NA/EU.

Doczu

The PR also reconfirms that an update for the 3DS version will is coming that will support the New Nintendo 3DS and it's additional buttons. But of course that will take a while since it's not out for a few more months in NA/EU.

Will it be possible to use the Circle Pad Pro for the peasants without a N3DS?

And why no Wii U release? I would buy it for off-tv play :(

TheMoon

Will it be possible to use the Circle Pad Pro for the peasants without a N3DS?

And why no Wii U release? I would buy it for off-tv play :(

Because he's a human being who killed himself doing the game three times over now on multiple systems. One guy can only do so much and he keeps bringing up that you can buy and play it on your Wii U already via Wii Mode (now even with the most up-to-date version).

And:
Circle Pad Pro
Not releasing RCR:DX with the Circle Pad Pro support is disappointing, especially as it was functional and some were looking forward to it. However, in the end, I found that the controls were simply better without it. I feared that players and reviewers would have an inferior experience if they used it for RCR:DX , leaving them with a poorer perception of the game. So, after much tossing and turning, I ultimately decided to remove it.

Because RCR:DX uses the face buttons and touch screen, the right circle pad added by the CPP made reaching over to press them a bit awkward. While I mapped key face button actions to the CPP's triggers to make them more comfortable, it just wasn't as intuitive.

The Circle Pad Pro can work well with some games; games where you may only need to use the two circle pads and triggers. That unfortunately wasn't the case with RCR:DX .
http://www.retrocityrampage.com/20140205.php

I'd add that Sakurai said the circle pad pro (CPP) requires 5% of the 3DS CPU (responding to criticism of SSM 3DS not supporting it). If the game has no leeway the CPP can't be done. In that respect it is a miracle that Kid Icarus supports it.

Chuckpebble

Mac version appears in Steam, but when I go to install, it does so far too quickly. And launching gives an error about there being no executable file.

Has any date been mentioned for the WiiWare version? Blows my mind that he's actually updating that.
Thanks TheMoon, rookie mistake.

TheMoon

Mac version appears in Steam, but when I go to install, it does so far too quickly. And launching gives an error about there being no executable file.

Has any date been mentioned for the WiiWare version? Blows my mind that he's actually updating that.

Read OP. Tomorrow. It's all there.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I love this guy's complete devotion to the game. I'll have to pick it up again once the DX update hits :).

Edit: Wait, you pay for the update or no (on PC) I'm slightly confused by some of the wording.

I feel bad that he will never see any money from wii ware but I still had to buy it there as soon as it came out. I had waited too long. Honestly it's still my favorite version.

AEREC

may have to try this game again after the update...got it during a PS+ sale a year or so ago and couldn't get into because the humor and retro references felt forced and awkward.

Skyzard

Banned
Game doesn't show up as free for me on web store or Vita.

Crazily, I don't think it's supposed to:

You’ll get all three for €7.99, with an additional 20% off for PlayStation Plus members during launch week. That’s only around €3 for each platform, and much less than the original RCR’s launch price!

Owners of the original Retro City Rampage for PS3 and PS Vita can transfer their save games to the new DX version via Cross-Save. The new DX version is a separate purchase, but keep in mind that with DX, you’re getting the PS4 version, a brand new Trophy set and new leaderboards. Owners of the original RCR who transfer their save game to DX will also earn a shiny elite star next to their score on the leaderboards.

That's one way to kill word of mouth.

Agent X

It would've been nice if Brian Provinciano could've worked out a deal with Sony to enable owners of the PS3 & Vita versions to update to the DX release for free (even if it meant taking the PS4 version out of cross-buy). If you read the comments on the PS.Blog (http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014...e-dx-coming-to-ps4-ps3-ps-vita-november-11th/), it sounds like he wanted to at least arrange a heavy discount, but Sony nixed the idea.

In light of Nintendo and Microsoft allowing their respective versions to get free updates, you'd think Sony might be a little more inclined to extend the same courtesy for their customers.

Knuf

Ordered the retail PS4 version when it was announced, and today I got an email containing a code to download the Steam version: since I'm not a PC/Mac gamer (and never will be), I'm going to give the key to the first person who's interested in having it.

And gone!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Ordered the retail PS4 version when it was announced, and today I got an email containing a code to download the Steam version: since I'm not a PC/Mac gamer (and never will be), I'm going to give the key to the first person who's interested in having it.

I'll take it, since I'm a PS3/Vita RCR owner who won't be getting the upgrade. =/

Top Bottom