• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines II update : PC to launch on schedule, has higher performance demands than they would have liked

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...d-performance-for-cities-skylines-ii.1601865/

MORE MODS FOR EVERYONE

We know you have been waiting, and now it's time to share the latest developments regarding modding in Cities: Skylines II.

First and foremost, our in-game editor is currently in its beta phase and will launch shortly after release. While we look forward to unleashing the power of creative modification to all of you, in preparation, we are collaborating with a talented group of creators working behind the scenes - ensuring you'll have amazing mods to dive into on the launch of the mods platform.

While the modding tool will have a basic framework at its inception, we are dedicated to its continuous expansion and enhancement, making it a central focus of our development efforts moving forward. More in-depth details about the editor and its roadmap ahead will be shared shortly - keep an eye out for our dev diaries.

Secondly, we're introducing Paradox Mods as the new mods platform for Cities: Skylines II. One of the core reasons for this is its inclusivity; modding capabilities will be extended to players across platforms - both PC and console - aligning with our commitment to provide as many as possible with the opportunity to modify and enjoy the game.

For console users, this means you will be able to access Asset Mods in the library. Yes, you read that right! We know it is a huge part of the Cities: Skylines experience and we're beyond excited to introduce a solution that makes mods available to everyone. As with all major updates, we are fully aware of the learning curve it might present, but we're committed to providing resources to ensure a smooth transition to Paradox Mods.

A NOTE ON PERFORMANCE AND OUR COMMITMENT TO PLAYERS

On another note, we've noticed the concerns raised about Cities: Skylines II performance, especially after our previous statement with raised minimum and recommended specs. As we've always believed in transparency, we'd like to further shed some light on the current state of the build.

Cities: Skylines II is a next-gen title, and naturally, it demands certain hardware requirements. With that said, while our team has worked tirelessly to deliver the best experience possible, we have not achieved the benchmark we targeted.

In light of this, we still think for the long-term of the project, releasing now is the best way forward. We are proud of the unique gameplay and features in Cities: Skylines II, and we genuinely believe that it offers a great experience that you will enjoy.

We will continually improve the game over the coming months, but we also want to manage expectations on performance for the coming release. Our ambition is for Cities: Skylines II to be enjoyed by as many players as possible, and we're committed to ensuring it reaches its full potential.

Thanks for your understanding and continuous support. We're lucky to have a community as passionate and dedicated as you.

AzekZero

Neo Member
The Paradox Mods platform isn't as good as the Steam Workshop, but I am glad it exists.

Valve has the right to keep Steam Workshop mods exclusive to their platform. But I don't like how much power this gives them over the modding scene.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Release now, fix later...
Fuck this seriously, they wont get a single cent from me until the game is properly optimized (if ever).

The Paradox Mods platform isn't as good as the Steam Workshop, but I am glad it exists.

Valve has the right to keep Steam Workshop mods exclusive to their platform. But I don't like how much power this gives them over the modding scene.
Steam has no power since they don't force the Workshop as an exclusivity at all, it's literally a QOL feature which means modders can publish their work anywhere and it will still work with your Steam copy (look at Skyrim). This is not the case with this new Paradox platform.
What you most likely refer to is the standard "we can do anything to your content" that all online services have so they can legally make your content publicly available. Just like the Paradox modding platform.

Edit: more on this (thx Reddit)

You grant Valve and its affiliates the worldwide, non-exclusive, right to use, reproduce, modify, create derivative works from, distribute, transmit, transcode, translate, broadcast, and otherwise communicate, and publicly display and publicly perform, your User Generated Content, and derivative works of your User Generated Content, in connection with the operation and promotion of the Steam site.
Valve is the sole owner of the derivative works created by Valve from your Content, and is therefore entitled to grant licenses on these derivative works.

Right to "Reproduce" = Right to copy it across their CDN as much as they want.
Right to "Modify" = Right to compress it, add digital signatures/checksums/hashes to it for steam to know what to download etc.
Right to "Create derivative works from" = Right to resize/generate thumbnails.
Right to "Distribute/Transmit" = Obvious, they are a digital distribution platform.
Right to "Transcode/Translate" = encrypting it on their servers, making file hashes etc
Right to "Broadcast" = if it's a video/stream you are uploading, they need the right to broadcast it.

Does this mean Steam Workshop is no longer supported, or are both supported?
Of course not, they want to control what is published because DLCs. Looking at CS1 Steam page and what are some of the most popular mods and you can easily see where they are going.

Sans_titre.png

Last edited:

GHG

we have not achieved the benchmark we targeted.

In light of this, we still think for the long-term of the project, releasing now is the best way forward.

We will continually improve the game over the coming months, but we also want to manage expectations on performance for the coming release. Our ambition is for Cities: Skylines II to be enjoyed by as many players as possible, and we're committed to ensuring it reaches its full potential.

Thanks for your understanding and continuous support. We're lucky to have a community as passionate and dedicated as you.

Sounds like early access to me.

Why do these developers not learn and actually release their games in early access instead of these phony full releases?

Sybrix

So crap performance and even worse Paradox shenanigans with now affecting mods. Giant f you to the fan base.

As always, never pre-order, wait for reviews (especially Steam reviews) and then wait a while for some patches and discounts.

100% - Cities Skylines is one of my favourite games, had CS2 on my Wishlist for months now but no way am i pre-ordering.

Will be eager to see those Steam reviews.

BWJinxing

Well that kills my enthusiasm quite a bit.

Another account to forget the password too. I expect buggy shit and a more curtailed mod storefront.

The workshop will hold the mods indefinitely... The paradox mod bs will only be up as long as it's profitable to do so. Steam is actually doing preservation.

AzekZero

Neo Member
Fuck this seriously, they wont get a single cent from me until the game is properly optimized (if ever).

Steam has no power since they don't force the Workshop as an exclusivity at all, it's literally a QOL feature which means modders can publish their work anywhere and it will still work with your Steam copy (look at Skyrim). This is not the case with this new Paradox platform.
What you most likely refer to is the standard "we can do anything to your content" that all online services have so they can legally make your content publicly available. Just like the Paradox modding platform.

Edit: more on this (thx Reddit)

Right to "Reproduce" = Right to copy it across their CDN as much as they want.
Right to "Modify" = Right to compress it, add digital signatures/checksums/hashes to it for steam to know what to download etc.
Right to "Create derivative works from" = Right to resize/generate thumbnails.
Right to "Distribute/Transmit" = Obvious, they are a digital distribution platform.
Right to "Transcode/Translate" = encrypting it on their servers, making file hashes etc
Right to "Broadcast" = if it's a video/stream you are uploading, they need the right to broadcast it.

Of course not, they want to control what is published because DLCs. Looking at CS1 Steam page and what are some of the most popular mods and you can easily see where they are going.

Sans_titre.png

Well I know of at least one case where Valve enforces DRM exclusivity: Total War: Warhammer 3.

When I was playing that game on PC Game Pass I was completely locked out of 95% of the Warhammer 3 modding scene. The modders did not upload anywhere else and went after unsanctioned 3rd party rehosts of their mods.

Valve and the modders can choose to do this, but I don't have to like it.

damidu

this shit is going out of control honestly,
now we are having preemptive apologies for releasing unfinished products. jeez

i don't think anything will change until reviewers wreck havoc on these broken shits.

Mowcno

Well my opinion on this will depend on whether the performance is bad, or if it's baaaaaad. Hard to say as I don't know what their performance targets were. Maybe they're upset because it doesn't run locked 60 on a Ryzen 2600, or maybe they're upset because it drops below 60 even on a Ryzen 5800. We'll soon find out if it's a big disaster or not.

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
In my humble opinion, this is the problem when people pre-order and pay for games in advance. Sometimes four months plus (even longer) then the dev HAS to release something even if it isn't fixed.

Stop paying months in advance for shit - if the game is any good you can still buy a couple of days beforehand and do your pre-load.

They changed the recommended specs pretty last minute to a 3080. This is for 1080p performance in a CPU heavy game. It's basically a red flag this will run like ass on launch. They should've postponed the PC version as well. There's no point to rush this out. You are just gonna disappoint fans considering the hype this game has. If you've watched the preview gameplay videos from content creators, you'll notice many have choppy frame rate and don't look particularly great.

CS1 has optimization issues too so this is not an area they excel at.

As for switching to their own mod platform, it is both good and bad. Steam workshop is far from perfect. Now console can access mods as well, albeit only assets and not coded mods. However, despite saying mods will be free, it does open the door for future paid mods down the line (coughs*Bethesda*coughs). Asset packs can be sold as paid mods which will bypass the steam store (so they won't take a cut) and the DLC list on the steam store shorter than it appears.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
In an effort to be transparent we didn’t optimize it. Instead of issuing an apology afterwards like everyone else we thought it would make more sense to hint at it beforehand.

Bkdk

It’s a must buy for me but I’ll also wait. I’m sure there will be a lot of content missing in initial release, also without mods it will take them awhile to really make this sequel more fun they’re the first.

Top Bottom