• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Respawn Devs Insult Apex Legends Playerbase over Premium Skin Controversy

joe_zazen

This doesn't explain why 30-40 year old players also get addicted.

I guess they have underdeveloped/juvenile brains?

In a way.

Early exposure to gambling increases chance of gambling addiction later in life, maybe other psych addictions are similar. Idk how that translates to Vgaming addiction, but I’d guess compulsive Vgaming during dev phases has knock on ramifications, research needed.

Also, childhood abuse/neglect can deform prefrontal dev.

Many reasons, most of them sad.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
In a way.

Early exposure to gambling increases chance of gambling addiction later in life, maybe other psych addictions are similar. Idk how that translates to Vgaming addiction, but I’d guess compulsive Vgaming during dev phases has knock on ramifications, research needed.

Also, childhood abuse/neglect can deform prefrontal dev.

Many reasons, most of them sad.
I have zero proof of this, but I agree with your assumption that the earlier you are exposed to gambling, the more you might do it later. I don't see someone who is 40 years old, doesn't game much and has no real history of betting or gambling to suddenly go ape shit buying loot crates or $500 worth of skins.

People addicted to tech stuff like gaming and lootcrates also seem like more of the loner at home sitting around where their main form of entertainment is computer stuff.

Pretty sure the outdoorsy guy more interested in hiking, swimming at a nearby lake and cycling around town for fun or exercise is not the type of person who is going to sit on the couch all night and spend money buying weapon skins.

Some of this addiction and money funneled to microtrans would go away if people were more active.

klosos

Not to antfuck but arn't respecs in 'Exile not mtx's?

No my friend if you want to respec you do it by using Orbs of Regret , and Orbs of regret are loot drops from monsters. there is also a few quests in the game which give you a book of regret which gives you two respec points.

unless something as changed in the last few months , i dont believe you can pay real currency to reset your character.

Brilliant apology, 5 out of 5 stars. The employees crossed the line, but the main man stands behind his people against the nasties of the internet. Respawn must be a great place to work at.

Apology is up:

I’d award it two out of four stars.

Pro: actual admission of fault.

Con: still manages a dig at the fans. Let it go, Respawn.

Where do you see a dig at fans? He says that he will stand behind the team when they speak up against abusive commenters leveling threats and other toxic shit, like any proper boss should. He also owned up to that they crossed the line by taking it to the level of the nasties. Essentially, he's asking for a less toxic path forward, not sure how that's taking a dig at any real fan of the game.

Ballthyrm

The customer is always wrong but we do it anyways.
That's the world we live in folks.

I would be interested to see what the ratio of paying customers are on Reddit for Apex.
I suspect a good thousand to one.

IMHO only the paying customers should be able to complain.
It's free, don't like it, go elsewhere.

Same as voting really, if you don't vote, i'm not going to listen to you talk about politics.

iconmaster

Banned
Where do you see a dig at fans?

What I mean is this: “I’m sorry but,” where “but” is followed by a rehearsing of what the other party contributed to the situation, is a poor apology. Thus:

“...some of the toxic and nasty comments directed at them, including death threats and comments directed at their family and loved ones.”

Looking in from the outside, I don’t know if any of that actually happened; but let’s grant that it did and it was terrible. Even still, bringing it up in the middle of an apology is an unfortunate choice, because it defeats the purpose. “We’re sorry but remember what you did?”

That’s always the temptation with apologies. It’s important to resist it.

You'd lose your job too. You ever worked in retail or food service? You don't get to say shit like that and keep your job no matter how frustrated you get.
I have! And completely accept and understand the age old adage of "the customer is always right. "

I don't think how they went about venting their frustrations was correct, but I can sympathise with them on a human level.

Yeah the level of vitriol for the consumer base by forum posters who are "just consumers" is kind of suspect. Here is mostly fine, but on another forum... yeah... it's a costume party "As a fellow consumer, I also think consumers are being way too mean to devs. I say they should get even more money for skins and lootboxes while being applauded as heroes! They work hard and we should accept anything that helps them out. For shame......"

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
i-dg9kK2J-2100x20000.jpg

FreeThinker1990

..pronounced with a silent 'F'
I'm glad that we can all agree: playing a free-to-play game gives us carte blanche to ignore all semblance of civility if we disagree with their product choices, and then cry about it when someone calls us a mean name.

Petrae

Yeah the level of vitriol for the consumer base by forum posters who are "just consumers" is kind of suspect. Here is mostly fine, but on another forum... yeah... it's a costume party "As a fellow consumer, I also think consumers are being way too mean to devs. I say they should get even more money for skins and lootboxes while being applauded as heroes! They work hard and we should accept anything that helps them out. For shame......"

This nauseating sympathy for “those poor developers” is gross. Once they decide to engage the mean minority by lobbing generalizations and insults, they’re no better than the people they’re complaining about and use that group as a shield to hide from legit criticism— “WAAAA THE INTERNET IS MEAN TO ME AND I’M JUST A LOWLY DEVELOPER DOING A JOB!!!”

Fuck that noise. If social media is so cruel, then stay the fuck off it. Let your community managers handle the flak for you, like they’re paid to do. If you’re going to proudly link your social media profile to your employer or your projects, then you get the rewards and the bullshit that come with doing so. It’s a conscious choice.

I don’t like the fact that trolls and death threats online are real things. That said, I’m happily a nobody who doesn’t attract (or necessitate) much attention. If people were to come at me, I would block them... or report them, if the situation was severe enough. If you want an echo chamber effect, make your accounts private and select a handful of yes people to follow you.

Any sympathy I could’ve had for these people vanished as soon as they decided to lash out and add fuel to the fire. Screw them and their disingenuous defenses.

Top Bottom