• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Respawn Devs Insult Apex Legends Playerbase over Premium Skin Controversy

Klayzer

Yes gamers are asshats. Gamers also are not quick to forget/forgive any slight aimed at them by a dev. Bad pr move by Respawn. Have they not seen the lengths of vindictiveness gamers are capable of when stoked. Good luck.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I'd assume it's EA controlling them on the low with this whole event. The PvE coming out in a few months will show if they've learned after this disaster blows over.

I imagine that in this case the ones offended by being called a freeloader are in fact the freeloaders. Lol

The whales know who they are and understand they’re subsidizing the game for the rest of the feee loaders. That’s how f2p works.

Helios

Source:

Users of the Apex Legends subreddit were left shocked and outraged last night as two Respawn developers called gamers “dicks”, suggested they were “ass-hats” and described them as “freeloaders” in unfiltered public comments.

Responding to overwhelming criticism to an official apology and step-back from the game’s recent controversial microtransaction changes in the Iron Crown event two Respawn developers, dk05 (a Respawn Project Lead) and Jayfresh_Respawn (the Respawn Community Manager), fired back with insults, sarcastic comments and attacks on the gaming community.

In one public comment responding to a reddit user, dk05 wrote: “Hey everyone – found the dick I was talking about.”

This response was downvoted over 2400 times.
1*zZSh6XoRCAbzsugByOrAYg@2x.jpeg

Comment By Respawn Project Lead dk05

dk05 wrote in a separate comment: “I’ve been in the industry long enough to remember when players weren’t complete ass-hats to developers and it was pretty neat.”

1*l9AP16waNFAL3zCiUtQ-Yg@2x.jpeg

In another reply, the same developer suggested most Apex Legend players are ‘freeloaders’, a derogatory term implying ‘a person who takes advantage of others’ generosity without giving anything in return,’ according to the Oxford Dictionary.

He wrote: “The amount of people who spend is crazy low, most of y’all are freeloaders.”

This comment was downvoted over 600 times.

1*08UfZyxPJ5gCGKO9D6BM1w@2x.jpeg

Respawn Community Manager Jayfresh_Respawn fired back at one Reddit user writing: “You should work on your reading comprehension.”
1*nHPg7JiPMH1Qwr-IWLLvNQ@2x.jpeg

Comment by Respawn Community Manager Jayfresh_Respawn

He responded to another: “So it’s fine for you all to call us liars, full of shit, and other personal attacks when we communicate an apology and update to the event but we’re “immature” when we call people out on it. Got it.”

1*f6EQCMHiKEGI5kMXAR_rWQ@2x.jpeg

When one user tried to clarify DK05’s statement calling gamers “dicks”, the developer wrote: “I think technically I was calling gamers dicks? I dunno. I had a spicy lunch, feelin’ it.”

1*l8vBqthP-gnd2bZnxeA7xw@2x.jpeg

Comment by Respawn Project Lead dk05

The Iron Crown event drew masses of criticism across social media and within the subreddit with users ridiculing Respawn and Electronic Arts, the game’s publisher, for “over-monetising” and “prioritising money” by exploiting players with overpriced in-game items. An in-game item for the event, the Heirloom Axe, costs over £130 in microtransactions according to Metro.

Backlash across Reddit and other social media platforms saw various developers and employees targeted with abusive and negative messages, and some have defended their response in the wake of these attacks.

Respawn issued an apology yesterday while defending their position, saying a mistake was made, that they broke their promise to fans, and that cosmetic items released during the update would soon be available to directly purchase through the in-game store – however even this drew more public backlash due to the high cost to buy them.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
While I appreciate you wanting to make a difference, I think "don't engage in shitty business or development practices that alienate your playerbase" is a more feasible solution than "everyone should just be nicer to one another." Yeah, that doesn't guarantee you won't get assholes, but it sure as hell will cut down on it significantly. You're not going to change human nature.

Also, it should be noted, there is no such thing as being "entitled" when it comes to consumers. Consumers can be unreasonable in their requests at times, but at the end of the day, if you're not providing the product they want, for whatever reason, it's not being "entitled" for them not to buy it. They have the power in the relationship.

Agree.

I should note that theres a recent trend that when it comes exactly about defending a company for whatever reasons may be, the consumer is aways targeted as an entitled.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Gamers feeling entitled as having the best games at the lowest price and most freebies.

Devs creating the whole microtrans economy with paid and free downloads.

Social media sites transforming from personal day to day activities.... to news aggregator.... to personal opinions and insults mosh pit.

Sounds like two groups of manchildren using childish social media outlets is a match made in heaven.

Last edited:

gatti-man

I really hate these freemium games. It’s eroding the value of full value multiplayer games and just promotes predatory micro transactions.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
There are no freeloaders in f2p games, they are helping to entertain the whales.
Yup.

A phenomenal business model.

Have a game sell for $60 and millions of gamers will put in the effort to get good and get their money's worth. Hard for ego whale to reach the top of the leaderboards.

Have a F2P game where many people won't care grinding for months (underpowered), and giving whales access to pay to win microtrans gives ego whale sense of accomplishment and a high rank....... at the cost of $800 of microtrans.

Sounds ludicrous, but hey, if paying $800 to win is worth it, I guess do it????

Petrae

"I've been in the industry long enough to remember when players weren't complete ass-hats to developers and it was pretty neat."

Probably because developers didn't used to nickle and dime their customers before. I'm getting tired of developers trying to play the victims and act like their shit doesn't stink.

Developers are just as complicit, especially in this case. There’s no denying that there are a few genetic defectives amongst the “gamer” crowd, but there’s also some worthwhile criticism that developers (and the rest of the “industry”, including “journalists” who are basically front-line defenders) can’t stand hearing.

Bullshit like microtransactions and “skins” you have to pay for or grind incessantly to afford weren’t always the cancer that has permanently damaged video gaming. You could just organically unlock shit like that in-game; the “microtransaction” came by way of buying a cheat device, like a Game Genie, if you couldn’t unlock the stuff yourself. Now almost all of that shit that used to be part of the game is now carved out and added as DLC, in lootboxes, or other microtransactions. And, yeah, there are gonna be some people who are pretty angry that the industry has turned to such nickel-and-dime tactics... always crying fucking poor and “bu-bu-but inflation!” and other shit.

I wouldn’t bother to engage in a war of words with a developer or an employee of a publisher. It’s not worth the bandwidth; they don’t give a rat’s ass how I feel about them. But when people ask me why I’m not excited about PS5 or the new Xbox or Nintendo machine, and I tell them that I’m done with consoles when they come out? I firmly blame publishers and complicit developers as playing vital roles in the destruction of a form of entertainment that I used to champion and enjoy.

Barakov

Gold Member
Mark Kern spoke about this on twitter but before social media blew up there was a buffer between developers and gamers. The people in customer service or community managers were that buffer. They were trained to deal with customers and the small amount of crazies that would say all kinds of stuff. So instead of hearing abusive twitter posts they heard they heard "customers want this and that" and then developers decided what was the best course of action. Then social media blew up and everybody was able to comment on anything and everything. I hate to agree with him but Rami Ismail has point that devs are humans too and make mistakes. Unfortunately, when it comes to twitter people say the worst possible thing at the worst possible in the worst possible situation. People are really abusive by default on twitter and dealing with that kind of behavior would set anybody off. Still this is a case where devs are going out of their way to piss off their playerbase and there is going to be repercussions for somebody on this. I think at the very least this is not a good look for Respawn and EA(who already is almost universally reviled by the public at large). I think the buffer between developers and gamers/customers needs to come back. Otherwise, these kind of blowups are just going to keep happening.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Developers are just as complicit, especially in this case. There’s no denying that there are a few genetic defectives amongst the “gamer” crowd, but there’s also some worthwhile criticism that developers (and the rest of the “industry”, including “journalists” who are basically front-line defenders) can’t stand hearing.

Bullshit like microtransactions and “skins” you have to pay for or grind incessantly to afford weren’t always the cancer that has permanently damaged video gaming. You could just organically unlock shit like that in-game; the “microtransaction” came by way of buying a cheat device, like a Game Genie, if you couldn’t unlock the stuff yourself. Now almost all of that shit that used to be part of the game is now carved out and added as DLC, in lootboxes, or other microtransactions. And, yeah, there are gonna be some people who are pretty angry that the industry has turned to such nickel-and-dime tactics... always crying fucking poor and “bu-bu-but inflation!” and other shit.

I wouldn’t bother to engage in a war of words with a developer or an employee of a publisher. It’s not worth the bandwidth; they don’t give a rat’s ass how I feel about them. But when people ask me why I’m not excited about PS5 or the new Xbox or Nintendo machine, and I tell them that I’m done with consoles when they come out? I firmly blame publishers and complicit developers as playing vital roles in the destruction of a form of entertainment that I used to champion and enjoy.
Sounds all and good, but the reason for all this microtransfuckery is because gamers are buying it. I'm not. But whether it's casuals buying mobile microtrans, competitive gamers buying P2W weapons and perks, gamers buying $60 season passes so they can get 3 maps and 5 hats, or spendthrift gamer buying cosmetic skins like it's real life clothes, it all adds up to huge profits where every major gaming company will brag at each quarterly earnings report about record digital revenue.

What's happened is the traditional gamer like you and me who pay $60 and hope for a complete game without the microtrans BS is getting smaller, while the gamer playing F2P flash kinds of games and spending $120 on microtrans have picked up steam the past decade.

So game makers focus on those gamers.

Last edited:

Iorv3th

Nothing they said was wrong. The entire reddit thread before was people posting memes about new weapons and characters being credit card readers. A lot of people just getting mad they can't get the shit for free.

Yeah it would be nice to have what they already said they were going to do where you can just buy what you want directly.

It's settled then, except for some people it's not. People just have to bitch and bitch and bitch.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
A lot of people just getting mad they can't get the shit for free.
And what the digital world has allowed is access to free downloads.

Set a precedent, and better be able to do it forever because people remember it.

There used to be a video rental store back in the 80s and 90s here called Jumbo Video. The key perk about going here was they had a big popcorn station where you can grab free bags as you walk the aisles looking for VHS rentals.

Some time in the 90s they disappeared. You know what was the only thing people brought up that sucked Jumbo's closed down?

The movies? Game rentals at $2 per day? The fact the stores were pretty nice and clean (they weren't mom and pop stores)?

Nope. People missed the free small bag of popcorn.

Last edited:

Fbh

I get why they are angry.
But that's why you don't just let anyone on the keyboard to write in the name of your company. Any sort of direct interaction with the audience (specially if you are a well known mid sized company) should be done by designated person that is able to keep his/her cool and, if nothing else, at least replies with some generic PR statement.

"I've been in the industry long enough to remember when players weren't complete ass-hats to developers and it was pretty neat."

Probably because developers didn't used to nickle and dime their customers before. I'm getting tired of developers trying to play the victims and act like their shit doesn't stink.

LOL, in F2P games? The only big F2P games I remember from back in the "good old days" are Free MMO's which were all basically Pay 2 win.

And what is this horrible thing Repwan has made? Selling cosmetic stuff in their free game? Wow those monters

Last edited:
Nah, if you can't interact with your consumer base without sounding like an elitiest entitled shit, shut the fuck up and leave it to community managers and PR. Devs aren't fucking victims that we need to rally around.

I have zero sympathy for $200 skins and lootboxes.

Last edited:

Joyful

Well they kind of advertised the event using these cool news skins
not mentioning every skin is locked behind an event lootbox
event lootboxes being 7 times the cost of a normal lootbox (100 coins) so 700 coins. (but really 10$ because you cant buy exactly 700 coins only groups of 1000 each for 10$)
the cherry on top of the Bloodhound heirloom only being purchasable after you buy every single event item is egregiously greedy. Its 35 dollars on its own (really 40 because again no exact coins)
but you need to spend almost two hundred dollars first to have the "privilege" of buying it

they deserve the backlash

Last edited:

Solomeena

Banned
Nothing they said was wrong. The entire reddit thread before was people posting memes about new weapons and characters being credit card readers. A lot of people just getting mad they can't get the shit for free.

Yeah it would be nice to have what they already said they were going to do where you can just buy what you want directly.

It's settled then, except for some people it's not. People just have to bitch and bitch and bitch.

Please stop defending loot boxes and microtransactions, it is a fucking cancer on gaming and people blindly defending it is beyond pathetic and sad. EA and Respawn decided to go down this route of making a free game and trying to rip off gamers via this bullshit, it needs to stop.

Iorv3th

Please stop defending loot boxes and microtransactions, it is a fucking cancer on gaming and people blindly defending it is beyond pathetic and sad. EA and Respawn decided to go down this route of making a free game and trying to rip off gamers via this bullshit, it needs to stop.

It's part of the industry now. I'm not defending it. I'm not purchasing it, but i'm not bitching about not being able to get the stuff for free either. They have to have some monetization scheme to keep doing updates. A lot of these people bitching wouldn't pay the game if you had to pay 30$ upfront. Fuck them.

oagboghi2

It's part of the industry now. I'm not defending it. I'm not purchasing it, but i'm not bitching about not being able to get the stuff for free either. They have to have some monetization scheme to keep doing updates. A lot of these people bitching wouldn't pay the game if you had to pay 30$ upfront. Fuck them.
Do you not see the problem here?

Let's be 100% honest here. This is an attempt to price gouge whales and addicts. They should get a savage response because what are doing is distasteful.

sol_bad

The recent issue with Apex is the new event that started.

They started an Iron Crown event, also know as the "Iron Whale" event. The top tier set is some axe skin and how do you go about earning it?

Well first of all you need to unlock 24 other items. Usually in a free to play game you can earn things through grinding, like the season passes. But in this event you can only acquire 2 out of the 24 items by grinding/completing challenges. The other 22 items you have to buy loot boxes to acquire them and it will cost you about $155usd to do so. Once you have the 24 items you are then granted the opportunity to buy the top tier axe skin for a further $30usd or so. In total you could be spending $190usd to acquire said item.

This is obviously insane.

There was then an update that allowed players to purchase 12 of the 24 items directly but instead of being able to buy those 12 items whenever you wanted, they divided it into a convoluted rotation. If the item you want is in the 12 that are not for sale, you'll still have to potentially spend about $80usd to get the item you want. The kicker is that with the 12 items that you can buy direct, they are double the price of a loot box.
People who want that top tier item are still expected to pay the $190usd.

Reports say that Apex and EA were already rolling in cash with it's current loot box and season pass scheme. This new scheme is just beyond insane and they deserve any shit thrown at them by the players. They are completely disrespecting their user base. And any fuck stick that spends money on this is really a fuck stick, it's their stupidity that got use to this place in the first place.

EDMIX

Most gamers as in actual people who play games as suppose to feelings, won't really care. I don't buy games for such reasons, thus won't refuse to buy or play a game for such reasons. By that logic I shouldn't buy Cyberpunk 2077 after their whole LGBT joke. Its distasteful, rude and disrespectful...but good thing I don't buy games for feelings and I'd argue MOST gamers don't. I don't play Apex, but my reasoning for that has NOTHING to do with what they developers say, didn't say etc. How about play games for fun folks, I'm not sure whats going on with people getting overly emotional over what a developer states as if buying the game is based on those feels or something.

Play games, not feelings. People around here are turning any comment by a developer into a Lifetime special.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The recent issue with Apex is the new event that started.

They started an Iron Crown event, also know as the "Iron Whale" event. The top tier set is some axe skin and how do you go about earning it?

Well first of all you need to unlock 24 other items. Usually in a free to play game you can earn things through grinding, like the season passes. But in this event you can only acquire 2 out of the 24 items by grinding/completing challenges. The other 22 items you have to buy loot boxes to acquire them and it will cost you about $155usd to do so. Once you have the 24 items you are then granted the opportunity to buy the top tier axe skin for a further $30usd or so. In total you could be spending $190usd to acquire said item.

This is obviously insane.

There was then an update that allowed players to purchase 12 of the 24 items directly but instead of being able to buy those 12 items whenever you wanted, they divided it into a convoluted rotation. If the item you want is in the 12 that are not for sale, you'll still have to potentially spend about $80usd to get the item you want. The kicker is that with the 12 items that you can buy direct, they are double the price of a loot box.
People who want that top tier item are still expected to pay the $190usd.

Reports say that Apex and EA were already rolling in cash with it's current loot box and season pass scheme. This new scheme is just beyond insane and they deserve any shit thrown at them by the players. They are completely disrespecting their user base. And any fuck stick that spends money on this is really a fuck stick, it's their stupidity that got use to this place in the first place.
My head hurt from reading this, and I still don't understand the purchasing process.

I guess me working in a traditional company making widgets you can buy from a store as its own individual purchase is too old school. Who knew video game companies would be innovators of purchasing habits?

Tomorrow, I'll tell the VP of Marketing my idea:

To maximize sales, do this:

- Person has to buy 6 items of product line A at $10 each
- Then has to buy 4 items of product line B at 12 each
- Then must enter a contest in order to have the random chance to get one unit of product line C

If the VP of Marketing asks me what if the person just wants to buy product line C directly, that's easy: $400

Last edited:

sol_bad

My head hurt from reading this, and I still don't understand the purchasing process.

It's by design, they make it confusing to trap people in to spending money they don't have to spend.
For example, someone will want the top tier item and they may also want one of the items that you can buy direct. If they get tricked in buying that item directly, they'll have ended up spending more money than if they would have acquired everything through loot boxes only.

Helios

It wasn't though. It was about the cost of the The Iron Crown event.

>but you don't have to pay for it

That doesn't make it any less assholish that they want you to pay 170$ just to unlock that one skin from the event. Respawn has been regarded as a pretty nice company when it comes to their practices and they said that EA was really hands-off with this game. So why in the hell would they come in with this predatory event, make those statements and destroy all that good will?

Last edited:
LOL, in F2P games? The only big F2P games I remember from back in the "good old days" are Free MMO's which were all basically Pay 2 win.

And what is this horrible thing Repwan has made? Selling cosmetic stuff in their free game? Wow those monters
You haven't actually looked at how egregious their microtransactions are have you? Or are you seriously defending lootboxes that are not earnable through playing and are as predatory as they come, locking an item from purchase until you unlock every item in the lootbox which cost $170. Fortnite literally gave them the blueprint for how to monetize their game, but they still fucked it up. I shouldn't be surprised though, there's always gonna be gamers that bend over and defend microtransactions, no matter how bad they are, as long as its cosmetic.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Respawn has been regarded as a pretty nice company when it comes to their practices and they said that EA was really hands-off with this game. So why in the hell would they come in with this predatory event, make those statements and destroy all that good will?
Because Respawn is bullshitting saying EA is hands off.

I've been through my share of companies buying out different companies and product lines from other companies.

And the first thing they say is it's status quo. Some companies know right away what they want to do, some companies take time.

And that may be true for the first 6-12 months as they (EA) figures out what to do.

But at some point that department (Respawn) loses it's special status as a separate department. It then gets shoved in with all the other departments, while leadership at (Respawn) gets fired or quits as the main bigwigs take over.

Tesseract

Banned
problem is the competition is pretty generous with season rewards and skin prices

7 bucks a pack that might only give you a piece of music of absolutely absurd, 17 bucks to choose what you want is even more ridiculous

27 bucks for the heirloom pack only after you unlocked everything else is also bad

it's just a bad deal all around, i probably would have dropped 50 bucks or so if prices were reasonable but now i'm spending 0

I feel like companies just don't care anymore because they only need a small percentage of people to buy into their financial model for it to work and make them profit under FTP, good PR becomes useless because they know people will come back regardless because:

A) The game is free

And

B) People are addicted

Sort of like the free porn industry, everyone could access it for free but they found out that if they charge a lot of money for whatever "premium content" they do release then it will only take 0.2% of people subscribing every month for them to make millions because of the retention rste, therefore making free porn, profitable.

They prey on the weakness of the whales basically.

joe_zazen

And lets not pretend that the people they are targeting are 20+ year olds with full time jobs. As with fifa ultimate teams, the people who impulse spend and fall victim most readily are those whose brains haven't matured fully (which happens at age 25 btw). They are the ones you can manipulate, and guess what age demo these brightly colorectal f2p BR games seek out?

Fake edit: auto correct changed colorful to colorectal. I leave it as such.

Last edited:

EDMIX

And lets not pretend that the people they are targeting are 20+ year olds with full time jobs. As with fifa ultimate teams, the people who impulse spend and fall victim most readily are those whose brains haven't matured fully (which happens at age 25 btw). They are the ones you can manipulate, and guess what age demo these brightly colorectal f2p BR games seek out?

Fake edit: auto correct changed colorful to colorectal. I leave it as such.

I know right and those companies are forcing them to spend money with mind control right? "They are the ones you can manipulate" smh, so now we are saying anyone buying such a thing must be manipulated to do so?

My friend we might as well say anyone buying Call Of Duty are "the ones you can manipulate" or any game we don't like, as if someone buying something we don't agree with must be under some spell to do so or something.

Soooooo I don't buy many games I dislike, not because I'm free from the mind control, but because I dislike a game or its content etc. So Joe, people you like Yakuza must be "the ones you can manipulate" cause I don't like that game, clearly anyone that does must have been forced to or tricked and or manipulated into liking it right? /s

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Subconsciously, I think a lot of people hate this stuff not because it so much about whaling in big spenders, or even pay 2 win, or making people lootbox addicts.

For me, none of that makes a difference.

But what is depressing is when devs focus so much time and energy on monetizing the game with skins, season passes, collectable trinkets, v-bucks, lootcrates and any other kind of of e-commerce cash grab over............ making a solid game.

Just about every game still has bugs, still has shit AI, can still be repetitive, still running at "30 fps with bumps" which is basically PS1 performance from 1996.

Yet, there's still that focus on the cash grab.

It's like a car maker promoting the newest car looks great, has cool options to buy, even cooler after market mods, but for the 10th straight year still has chassis with a shit transmission.

How about take all that money and focus and fix the transmission.... and then promote the car has a tech option for $3,000 that adds voice command pizza ordering?

Paasei

Not surprised that people who play a F2P game are mad, they always are. You should know by now that F2P games always have similar ways to make money. Just skip them if you don't want that shit.

I would feel for them if it was a game they actually paid money for.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Not surprised that people who play a F2P game are mad, they always are. You should know by now that F2P games always have similar ways to make money. Just skip them if you don't want that shit.

I would feel for them if it was a game they actually paid money for.
That's what NHL 09 did.... (or maybe it was NHL 10).

You could buy "Bauer Booster Packs" on day one for 800 pts ($10). You got something like 50 extra pts to boost your create a player stats for online league play.

I think that was the year EA really started the microtrans stuff in EA Sports. Not skins. But player boost packs.

Last edited:
yup we be called asshats but them or western developers except good developers like cd project red or any not yet putting a bad lootbox schemes on their games thats has morality what to be good gamer and creator of games are we called "evilsuckers"

MayauMiao

I knew this sort of thing will happen sooner or later especially when its under EA. Its why I swore off playing online games and sticking to single player games. Too bad whales will continue to support this model and make EA happy.

Top Bottom