• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil CODE VERONICA Remake will need to be totally recreated, if

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Code Veronica is a bad game full of bad game design moments but the theme of siblings/family and the OST shine so there's treasure in the trash.

People shit on Steve but I personally like him. 🤷‍♂️

Soodanim

Gold Member
I liked CV ten times more than zero, whom I consider the worstv'main' RE game after 6 and 5, respectively.
I probably enjoy CV more overall, but they both do things that no other game does wrong in their own ways. CV has parts where the game is obscure or obscenely difficult. Anti-BOW rounds have no in-game explanation AFAIK, escaping Steve being a mess that probably means 3 full heals or death, janky crystal ball crush, missable magnum, inconvenience of the shotgun-related pathing as Chris (unless you know what you're doing), and the switching back and forth between characters that can lead to a lack of items for one when needed.

0's main things are item dropping (have to learn to use the lobby), losing a character and all inventory for a time, and the hookshot back track (~7 rooms in a nearly straight line).

CV is more difficult than others and I like that, but the extra run time gave them more room to make choices they almost certainly wouldn't make today (for better or for worse)

xrnzaaas

I'm actually just making a really shit joke about how you're asked to input the final "code" into a computer at the end of the game, and the word to type is "Veronica".
Cool, unfortunately I never played CV to understand it. I'll probably wait for a remake. ;)

Kokoloko85

I think that CV is a special case in that it can work either way. From what I remember the environments you visit in CV are so varied that it feels more like an adventure than 1 singular mansion or building that you spend a ton of time in backtracking over and over.

Yes there are some backtracking parts but honestly the game kept Claire and Steve moving forward to different areas because the biggest part of that game was it’s story and use of spoiler characters/reveals.
You dont spend the entire time in one place, but you back track on the island/mansion. Then take flight and backtrack around the Antartica bit. TheN christopher arrives.

It roughly had the same level design as the original trilogy, it would be totally different if they do it like RE4/RE5. I hope they keep it the same, its the main appeal for me. Same as RE0

You dont spend the entire time in one place, but you back track on the island/mansion. Then take flight and backtrack around the Antartica bit. TheN christopher arrives.

It roughly had the same level design as the original trilogy, it would be totally different if they do it like RE4/RE5. I hope they keep it the same, its the main appeal for me. Same as RE0
I guess to better explain, the backtracking in CV feels more like a Devil May Cry game where you kind of return to an old locale from time to time but you’re mostly moving forward.

In DMC 1 you start in the castle and have some backtracking, but as you progress you move on to the sewers, the land of fog, the caves, the ship, the coliseum, etc. until you finally return to the castle at night, but it feels like it has shifted and flipped.

I consider it to be a hybrid in design, much like CV, which is why I can completely see a remake of either game focusing more on the adventure and gameplay, rather than the backtracking.

Now that I think about it, if they took it the RE2R route, more content would be cut or mashed together to fit one big central location, which never felt like that was what the original CV was trying to do.

Kokoloko85

I guess to better explain, the backtracking in CV feels more like a Devil May Cry game where you kind of return to an old locale from time to time but you’re mostly moving forward.

In DMC 1 you start in the castle and have some backtracking, but as you progress you move on to the sewers, the land of fog, the caves, the ship, the coliseum, etc. until you finally return to the castle at night, but it feels like it has shifted and flipped.

I consider it to be a hybrid in design, much like CV, which is why I can completely see a remake of either game focusing more on the adventure and gameplay, rather than the backtracking.

Now that I think about it, if they took it the RE2R route, more content would be cut or mashed together to fit one big central location, which never felt like that was what the original CV was trying to do.
Man I loved DMC1. I prefered that to the other DMC’s.

I felt like the island section of CV had the usual amounnt of backtracking, going back to the prison, the bridge, the mansion section opening up the labish area, fighting the giant worm to get the key for another bit. The underground a bit. Opening all the rooms in the mansion.
The antarica bit I dont remember as much lol

Yeah they probably would cut alot I guess, but removing the backtracking in the island would change the game completely

Nickolaidas

Alfred
just cross-dresses cause he's mentally unhinged and wants to recreate the image of his sister still being around, he's not trans.
No, but the game presenting his 'quirks' as schitzophrenia (his reaction at the mirror indicates he perceives his delusions as reality) would definitely be perceived as 'problematic' and 'offensive' by the woketard mob.

So definite changes will be made. Either they'll present him in a more respectable/positive light, or they'll take out the scene altogether (which doesn't add much to the story besides making the player think "wow, what a nutjob" when he sees that scene).

Code Veronica deserves a remake. It debuted on the Dreamcast if I'm not mistaken and as a result not many people played it. It's a shame as its the culmination of the initial story involving the Redfields i.e. they finally reunite. Part of me wishes that they had rolled this game into what became RE3 Remake, you know, had Jill and Carlos finish up the Raccoon City ark as a Part 1 then Code Veronica as Part 2. It would have rounded out the early RE story better and would have helped RE3 Remake be a more substantial offering. A true end chapter of the initial trilogy.

Elysium44

Banned
I never managed to finish this game back in the day.

I got right to the end, and I had to enter some code into a computer. Game didn't give any fucking hints or anything at to what it should be, and I didn't have access to the internet. Gave up at that point. Pretty dumb.

Even using a guide, I never managed to finish it. I tried again a few years ago and the puzzles are too tedious or cryptic. Any game which practically requires you to use a walkthrough guide is too complicated.

SCB3

Dino Crisis

I'll sell my soul. I'll take human life. I'll chew my left hand off. Yasuhiro Anpo and Kazunori Kadoi can DP my wife and force me to watch. No price is too great for a Dino Crisis remake.
I have no idea how this is not even being considered tbh, they know its wanted and would sell, plus the RE Engine would suit it well, the first 2 games are very much just RE2 in scope anyway

radewagon

People will be outraged when they discover one of the main antagonists is train.
Nah, they'll be cool with it because the trans character is portrayed as a monster and a villain.

Alfred
just cross-dresses cause he's mentally unhinged and wants to recreate the image of his sister still being around, he's not trans.

Maybe that was the only way for him to be himself while remaining closeted. There are a bunch of ways to go crazy and miss your sister without dressing up as her. Face it, that dude loved those dresses. Looked bomb in them if we're being honest.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

I think Code Veronica had one of the more interesting stories from the OG games. I'm sure they could rework that into something that could be used.

I don't think I ever completely finished it either. I think I finished Claire's run but never completed the Chris portion.

Top Bottom