• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil CODE VERONICA Remake will need to be totally recreated, if

HighPoly

Banned
Guys, I don't know which RE are in development now...

But, I'm sure if CODE VERONICA got something, they will change a LOT the gameplay and level design!

RE2 and 3 got so many changes, imagine how far CODE VERONICA will go!

What do you think? Which Remake you prefere now?

Duchess

I never managed to finish this game back in the day.

I got right to the end, and I had to enter some code into a computer. Game didn't give any fucking hints or anything at to what it should be, and I didn't have access to the internet. Gave up at that point. Pretty dumb.

Last edited:

HighPoly

Banned
Dino Crisis

I'll sell my soul. I'll take human life. I'll chew my left hand off. Yasuhiro Anpo and Kazunori Kadoi can DP my wife and force me to watch. No price is too great for a Dino Crisis remake.
JESUS ! ! !

I'm pretty crazy about this remake too !
I'll explode my brain if Dino Crisis get a remake!

MiguelItUp

I honestly didn't care for Code Veronica at all. If they were to remake it and change a LOT of it, I'd probably be much happier with the result. But it all depends on what those changes are.

I just remember going from 3 to Code Veronica felt like the biggest step up in slapstick vibes. I mean, it was always present in RE, but CV felt out of control in comparison, lol.

HighPoly

Banned

I got right to the end, and I had to enter some code into a computer. Game didn't give any fucking hints or anything at to what it should be, and I didn't have access to the internet. Gave up at that point. Pretty dumb.
yeah! That's the reason of a REMAKE, cause RE Code Veronica is extremely boring...

Arachnid

yeah! That's the reason of a REMAKE, cause RE Code Veronica is extremely boring...
Nah, that isn't why companies make remakes. Shitty games never get remakes. The point is modernizing classics people are attached to to rake in money. There is a reason they ignored CV.

Generic

Code Veronica needs a full overhaul since the game is extremely poorly designed and broken. There are mutiple instances where the player can get hardlocked.

Papa_Wisdom

Dino Crisis

I'll sell my soul. I'll take human life. I'll chew my left hand off. Yasuhiro Anpo and Kazunori Kadoi can DP my wife and force me to watch. No price is too great for a Dino Crisis remake.
7x55LeS.jpg

I bet they will fold it into Resident Evil 2 remake and have it be a direct sequel to that. Also the dramatic reunion between the redfield twins will be a big part of the story. Also they will change and treat Steve like how they did with Ben Bertolucci

Alan Wake

But, I'm sure if CODE VERONICA got something, they will change a LOT the gameplay and level design!

I loved Code: Veronica on the Dreamcast but yes, they would need to do some considerable changes. Which they always do in their remakes so I'm not worried about that. REmake 4 had some big differences to the original and it was all for the better. I fully trust Capcom in this regard. I just want them to actually get going with that remake.

HighPoly

Banned
I loved Code: Veronica on the Dreamcast but yes, they would need to do some considerable changes. Which they always do in their remakes so I'm not worried about that. REmake 4 had some big differences to the original and it was all for the better. I fully trust Capcom in this regard. I just want them to actually get going with that remake.
you are waiting for DINO CRISIS?

Kokoloko85

They will cut content as the game is much bigger than RE2 and RE3.
Shame because thats why I loved it. Classic RE game but much longer.

What it really needs fixing is the ammo and save point issues towards the end of the game especially.

Please dont cut content capcom ( i know you will )

Last edited:
They will cut content as the game is much bigger than RE2 and RE3.
Shame because thats why I loved it. Classic RE game but much longer.
I actually think the opposite. Code Veronica has so many different set pieces that keep you moving forward, that it will suit a modern linear design and fit way better with RE 4 Remake and (eventually) RE 5 Remake.

Jesb

I really hope they take their time with this and give it the quality it deserves. That is if we do see this. I loved Code Veronica but I also know it needs a-lot of work and stuff removed/reworked. Unfortunately I think RE5 is next. Really hoping it’s revealed Code Veronica remake is coming. I totally trust Capcom with this as they keep nailing it. Even RE3 with its cut content I still think it was great.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

I actually think the opposite. Code Veronica has so many different set pieces that keep you moving forward, that it will suit a modern linear design and fit way better with RE 4 Remake and (eventually) RE 5 Remake.
You dont think they will cut content? They cut alot outof RE2/RE3 remakes.

It has more backtracking and Metroidvania level design than RE4/RE5. It would be totally spoilt if it went linear

Last edited:
Considering they "skipped" Code Veronica and went straight to Remake 4, I have doubts that it's CV...

I hope so though. More Claire and Chris would be cool.
And completely change Steve's voice and accent, for the love of fucking god.
That will take a lot more effort, for sure.

Because the good things about CV aren't so obvious. I imagine that as a developer, you need to really analyze the game.

The original RE 2 is still to this day fantastic, and 3's creativity and arguably perfect horror concept is something people have talked about numerous times.

The greatness of both of them is out in the open.
2 Remake did a perfect job elevating the original.

And while 3 Remake arguably failed in many ways (One of them being having "human" Nemesis, the version of him that is actually scary, for like... 20 minutes, then proceed to make him less and less scary with each form) there's no question that there is gold to be found in between its glaring flaws.
One of them being going above and beyond in elevating Jill as a character.
All the stuff about her PTSD, her deep bond with STARS members, and just her badassery in that game, is all excellent.

Anyway.

Remaking CV will be a challenge, but maybe that's what they want.
I'm biased, because 5 is my favorite in the series.

But instead of going that way, I will say 6.

It's a very ambitious game... And has some interesting concepts.

But... To appreciate that you have to get around the stripping of everything that made RE great, in place of following every trend imaginable at the time. You have to see ALL OF THE PROTAGONISTS share the same walk, running, and crawling animations (They are literally the same, it's embarrassing), the awful to mediocre music (The menu music is straight up just a dollar store Christopher Nolan movie type soundtrack), and the BORING interpretations of characters you once loved (Chris stopped being the sassy independent badass, and became a generic sad/angry soldier man. And Leon is devoid of any charm. At least Ada is still cool, and Sherry is great). while introducing characters you don't care about at all (Besides Jake).

If they are going to attempt Remaking that game, all I can say is good fucking luck.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I honestly didn't care for Code Veronica at all. If they were to remake it and change a LOT of it, I'd probably be much happier with the result. But it all depends on what those changes are.

I just remember going from 3 to Code Veronica felt like the biggest step up in slapstick vibes. I mean, it was always present in RE, but CV felt out of control in comparison, lol.
Code Veronica is Resident Evil 3. The third game is actually a side story that was only given the RE3 title due to a marketing deal.

Foremost among their projects were a "gaiden" or side-story game following Jill Valentine's adventures leading up to the events of Resident Evil 2, and a true next-gen sequel for the Dreamcast. When Sony bartered for a limited exclusivity deal on Resident Evil 3, the gaiden title was re-branded and the sequel labeled the spin-off, but the projects themselves remained essentially unchanged. Capcom even went as far as to promote the upcoming Dreamcast game as the true sequel despite the lack of a numeral in the title.

MiguelItUp

Code Veronica is Resident Evil 3. The third game is actually a side story that was only given the RE3 title due to a marketing deal.
Right, not looking into semantics, just what I knew/remembered as 3. Replace 3 with Nemesis and it still fits.

Resident_Evil_3_Cover.jpg

Re3 is still very important for the lore of the series, having a number on it was very good for the series IMO. They should have added a 4 into code veronica as well (which is correct in chronological order)

Last edited:
You dont think they will cut content? They cut alot outof RE2/RE3 remakes.

It has more backtracking and Metroidvania level design than RE4/RE5. It would be totally spoilt if it went linear
I think that CV is a special case in that it can work either way. From what I remember the environments you visit in CV are so varied that it feels more like an adventure than 1 singular mansion or building that you spend a ton of time in backtracking over and over.

Yes there are some backtracking parts but honestly the game kept Claire and Steve moving forward to different areas because the biggest part of that game was it’s story and use of spoiler characters/reveals.

Soodanim

Gold Member
CV, like 0, is a game that benefits from you knowing how to work around some of its flaws. The problem with that is that most people aren't big enough fans to stick with a game for their 3rd or more playthrough, so there is room for improvement.

Nickolaidas

CV, like 0, is a game that benefits from you knowing how to work around some of its flaws. The problem with that is that most people aren't big enough fans to stick with a game for their 3rd or more playthrough, so there is room for improvement.
I liked CV ten times more than zero, which I consider the worst 'main' RE game after 6 and 5, respectively.

Never had a problem with Steve and I was young enough to appreciate the father scene without being cringed by the VA.

I also loved how huge the game felt, compared to re1-3.

Last edited:
I agree with this and I also put CV near Zero in terms of oddities in design.

I guess I had a slightly better time with Zero because it didn’t outstay it’s welcome and also once you figured out the most optimal spot to drop most items, the game became too easy.

It is an anti-hoarder game and rewards you for treating it as such.

xrnzaaas

It's not dumb. I played RE1 on PS1 without Internet and I got stuck on one of the puzzles and just gave up and exchanged the game at my local store. I finally finished it about a decade later.

Last edited:

Duchess

It's not dumb. I played RE1 on PS1 without Internet and I got stuck on one of the puzzles and just gave up and exchanged the game at my local store. I finally finished it about a decade later.
I'm actually just making a really shit joke about how you're asked to input the final "code" into a computer at the end of the game, and the word to type is "Veronica".

TastyPastry

i wonder if it would play more like RE4R or RE2R, i think i would miss it if claire isn't able to stealth like leon in RE4, but should she also be able to parry?

Top Bottom