• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 with a Classic Resi Fixed Camera (Concept Video)

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Classic Resident Evil fans have been nothing but vocal about their desire for the old days of third person tank controls and fixed camera angles. But now, thanks to YouTube user Enveloping Sounds that dream is a little closer.

Using the Third-Person OTS Script Mod created by cheezeit and goldedtoad, and the Ethan w/ Head mod by alphaZomega and ZombieAli, Enveloping Sounds has managed to create a proof of concept for how RE7 could work with more of a classic Resident Evil twist.

MiguelItUp

It's really odd to see from this perspective as RE7 had a great deal of immersion that wouldn't have have been possible without the first person view. Especially with VR. But it IS still really cool to see as it's a throwback to the OG RE style.

I love the FPS genre, but wasn't expecting it to come into the RE universe like it did. I'm surprised it worked as well as it did. That being said, I would still love to see a new RE go back to the OG style.

Love it. I like first-person and the RE4-style OTS camera, but I also have a special fondness for the classic fixed cameras. They do offer a different experience that would be worthwhile to me for replaying these games even more than I already do. I was a little bummed that the RE2 remake didn't include them as an option, unlockable or otherwise.

Classic Resident Evil fans have been nothing but vocal about their desire for the old days of third person tank controls and fixed camera angles. But now, thanks to YouTube user Enveloping Sounds that dream is a little closer.

Using the Third-Person OTS Script Mod created by cheezeit and goldedtoad, and the Ethan w/ Head mod by alphaZomega and ZombieAli, Enveloping Sounds has managed to create a proof of concept for how RE7 could work with more of a classic Resident Evil twist.

I want this, now

NOW

💔

I'm honestly annoyed just looking at it. We all remember what a blast it was to be pressing up on the dpad to go down because the camera changed perspectives... or how about guessing if there's an actual path you can take or not but you can't see where you're going so who knows!?... games like this were great in the 90s and they'd be fucking terrible today. What the hell is wrong with you people? Wanna go back to using sticks to create fire too?! ... fucking savages

Belmonte

Fixed camera is my favorite RE perspective but REVII isn't made with it in mind. The house feels empty because its decoration isn't made to squeeze the best this perspective can do. The points of interest, light and overall concept are made to work with first person.

But it is a cool mod. Would play it to experience the game in a new way.

Keihart

Since no one it's gonna work on making the animations not shit, i still prefer the first person perspective in this game, but pretty cool to see someone putting this much effort in a mod.

kiphalfton

Better than the all-out groovy chainsaw duel with Jack? Or the Tokyo Drift fight? Or the terrifying fight against Marguerite? Are you serious? Those parts were the highlights of the whole game.

Doesn't mean anything if execution was garbage. Gameplay/gunplay in RE7 is bad, with a crap limited field of view. All you're doing in any one boss battle is running in circles, hoping to shoot the boss in the back.

Spaceman292

Banned
Doesn't mean anything if execution was garbage. Gameplay/gunplay in RE7 is bad, with a crap limited field of view. All you're doing in any one boss battle is running in circles, hoping to shoot the boss in the back.
That's all you do in most boss battles. And you have more options than that with the chainsaw and car keys and whatever. Also what's wrong with the guns? You aim and you shoot and it works fine. It's not exactly trying to be Titanfall 2 but it's a horror game.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

That's all you do in most boss battles. And you have more options than that with the chainsaw and car keys and whatever. Also what's wrong with the guns? You aim and you shoot and it works fine. It's not exactly trying to be Titanfall 2 but it's a horror game.

It's kind of odd that in most of Jack's boss fights, you were trapped in a square room with him. First boss fight in the garage, second boss fight with the chainsaw, and the third and final boss fight. Yeah there was the car and the bags in the first two fights, that you could use as cover, but it didn't seem particularly well designed.

RE2 remake was a little bit better, but still the same thing. I know people hate it, but RE6 had the best gameplay of all the RE games. If they could have spun that into something suspenseful (and implemented resource management) that would have been great, but the gameplay went backwards after RE6.

Spaceman292

Banned
It's kind of odd that in most of Jack's boss fights, you were trapped in a square room with him. First boss fight in the garage, second boss fight with the chainsaw, and the third and final boss fight. Yeah there was the car and the bags in the first two fights, that you could use as cover, but it didn't seem particularly well designed.

RE2 remake was a little bit better, but still the same thing. I know people hate it, but RE6 had the best gameplay of all the RE games. If they could have spun that into something suspenseful (and implemented resource management) that would have been great, but the gameplay went backwards after RE6.
RE6 was a dumb action game. It was cool that you could roll around on the floor and do hip shots, but that would have been ridiculous in 7. I don't see how they could build up suspense and terror if you're able to do back flips and John Wick gun karate.
I don't see how the shape of the room matters. They're meant to be small because that's scarier. And in the final fight you've got two levels with ladders so that you can bait him around and get an angle on his weak points.

PC mods are great :messenger_sunglasses:

Personally I'm not that interested in playing the game like this but there's no reason to turn away an option to.
And if the devs won't supply it then fans can make a mod and do it themselves. Gaming done right.

kiphalfton

PC mods are great :messenger_sunglasses:

Personally I'm not that interested in playing the game like this but there's no reason to turn away an option to.
And if the devs won't supply it then fans can make a mod and do it themselves. Gaming done right.

It's still kind of janky, but if they can work that out I would give it a shot.

OrionNebula

As a person who gets crazy sick after playing 40 mins of most FPS : I need this. Bad.

You’d perhaps think that having multiple options in game mode styles in 2021 would be more of a norm, but no..

Top Bottom