• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 Being Featured at The Capcom Showcase livestream

Kuranghi

Can't wait, I loved R3make a lot so more action RE in the same vein is heavily welcomed by me. I'd like to see more optional little puzzles like the ball thingies from RE8 to get optional treasure, maybe somewhere more involved logic puzzles and less trial and error than those though.

Nautilus

Banned
bucket yolo GIF

Kuranghi

NGL I'm gonna be mad as hell if they removed the special melee moves from the game, crossing my fingers here.

I think it will be there in some form certainly, like how dodging was still in RE3 remake, but maybe they'll make it a bit less goofy (I'm not saying I dislike how it is in original RE4 but maybe theatrical wrestling moves won't fit into the tone of the remake) and more practical.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
No longer excited after the underwhelming reveal trailer. Doesnt look like a big leap over RE2 and RE8. Capcom used to take risks with this series but its been mostly the same since 2019's RE2.
The last big risk they took was RE4. Everything else is auto pilot or following trends. First person horror was already a mainstream thing before RE7 did it.

Vick

The reveal didn't blew me away, from an aesthetic point of view i still prefer the original with Albert Mod, and i doubt they can make controls and gameplay as addicting as the original. We will see.

I'm much more excited for RE2 and RE3 Next-Gen Updates to drop during the stream, personally.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I hope they show some good gameplay. Considering it's said to be coming from the same team that worked on RE2R, this makes me incredibly excited and hopeful.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The last big risk they took was RE4. Everything else is auto pilot or following trends. First person horror was already a mainstream thing before RE7 did it.
I think going first person with RE7 was a big risk. Especially the way they did it by embracing Silent Hills horror style immediately after Konami cancelled PT. The first two acts anyway.

Id even say RE5 was a big risk because they risked alienating the fanbase who were into single player RE games. I quite liked it, but I know it didnt pay off. Still a risk. RE6 was the safest and even that game took massive risks with overhauled melee focused combat, three diverging storylines and a setpiece driven campaign. Again, people hated it but at least they were trying different things back then. Everything since RE7 has been way too similar for my taste. VERY good mind you, but way too similar.

Hopefully, RE4 has a new combat system to help separate it from RE2,3 and 8.

Last edited:
No longer excited after the underwhelming reveal trailer. Doesnt look like a big leap over RE2 and RE8. Capcom used to take risks with this series but its been mostly the same since 2019's RE2.
I don't exactly know what you were expecting. RE 2 remake was always going to be different because the original had static camera angles and tank controls and they were trying to modernize that. The only thing to really modernize for RE4 is to let you slightly move while shooting. This is why some people here wanted Code Veronica to be remade first, because there's a lot there to change for the better.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member

This is why some people (including me) won't lose any sleep if this shit is taken out from the REmake 4.

It's not funny, it's not fun, it's not "iconic" it's just God awful, completely out of place and still cringe-y decades after it's release (and I was there day1 on the GC).

The only thing it's good for is for people to circlejerk on internet forums about it reminiscing about how "cool" it was saying that "you don't get it" if you don't like it, it's basically a meme at this point and not a funny one at that.
To the people insisting that this is what made RE4, RE4...it's like saying that "Jill sandwich" and "Master of unlocking" is what made RE1, RE1 (and not its gameplay/atmosphere), come the fuck on.

There's good cheese (Metal Gear rising revengeance/Shadows of the damned/No more heroes) and then there's...this.
The only reason "fans" cling to this tropey shit is 'cause of pure nostalgia and nothing else.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
This is why some people (including me) won't lose any sleep if this shit is taken out from the REmake 4.

It's not funny, it's not fun, it's not "iconic" it's just God awful, completely out of place and still cringe-y decades after it's release (and I was there day1 on the GC).

The only thing it's good for is for people to circlejerk on internet forums about it reminiscing about how "cool" it was saying that "you don't get it" if you don't like it, it's basically a meme at this point and not a funny one at that.
To the people insisting that this is what made RE4, RE4...it's like saying that "Jill sandwich" and "Master of unlocking" is what made RE1, RE1 (and not its gameplay/atmosphere), come the fuck on.

There's good cheese (Metal Gear rising revengeance/Shadows of the damned/No more heroes) and then there's...this.
The only reason "fans" cling to this tropey shit is 'cause of pure nostalgia and nothing else.
Robot All Your Base GIF by The Yetee

killatopak

d4pbsYn.jpg

Vick

Code Veronica Remake might forever just be a dream :messenger_loudly_crying:

Don't get me wrong, I do like 4, but...
Controversial, crazy opinion, but they should have named RE3 Remake "Resident Evil - Nemesis" as a sort of RE2 spin-off, and do a fully fledged Code Veronica Remake next called "Resident Evil 3" as it was originally intended.

homer-simpson-homer.gif

"Resident Evil: Code Veronica Remake" just sounds so bad.

kiphalfton

RE4 gunplay is superior to RE2 remake gunplay, specifically in regards to the aiming. That and it takes way too many shots to put anything down in RE2 Remake. The way aiming works in RE2 essentially forces you to stop and aim to pull off a "critical hit" headshot. Defeats the purpose of being able to aim and move at the same time.

Also I'm guessing they'll probably screw up other aspects of the somehow. Guessing they'll remove upgradability or limit it so it sucks. That was a big selling point for me in the original and what lent itself to so the replayability factor. Upgrading everything was a blast, and made a great game incredible.

Last edited:

kunonabi

Code Veronica Remake might forever just be a dream :messenger_loudly_crying:

Don't get me wrong, I do like 4, but...
Code Veronica certainly has the most upside considering how terrible the original was and how well REmake 2 rehabilitated Claire and actually made her a good character after all this time.

Saber

Gold Member
Excited to see what they are up for this game.
Hope its a true survivor horror and less cheese/corny around. Bring it!

Last edited:

SeraphJan

Code Veronica certainly has the most upside considering how terrible the original was and how well REmake 2 rehabilitated Claire and actually made her a good character after all this time.
I don't agree the original is terrible. When it was released in February year 2000 it had 94 aggregated score on Dreamcast. I know that score doesn't represent objective truth, but at least it does reflect how the general reception is at that time.

This reception changes over time because newer generation had different standard and perspective of what a good video game is. Most bad review Came from the re-release version on PS3, which is a bad move by Capcom (bad in terms of reception not money making).

Just like how newer generation consider Ocarina of Time sucks by todays standard. But when it was released, it absolutely deserves its 99 score at that time. And how even Twilight Princess is an improved version of Ocarina of Time, but still does not reach the same level of reception Ocarina of Time had. Evaluate whether a game is good or not, we need to also consider its historic context.

But I do agree with your point of "it has the most upside" from a Remake.

Last edited:

SuperGooey

Awesome!

I'm expecting something this RE4 showcase to be something like the Developer Message video that released alongside of RE3R's reveal trailer:

So we'll just get the same trailer again, with developer commentary on top of it, and with a couple 10 second clips of gameplay. Not much, but it'll be nice if they can put some concerns to bed like addressing that everything we know and love in RE4 will return (locations and bosses), but remixed and moved around in order to keep returning fans on their toes. In addition to that, they gotta confirm Mercenaries and Separate Ways are returning. I don't expect footage, but I hope they just say it. The new footage we see will likely tease Dr. Salvador, maybe ending with Leon getting his head cut off by him.

I think it's also highly likely that pre-orders will go up and we will have a Dr. Salvador statue for the special edition (maybe a Leon or Ada statue).

Nickolaidas

Barakov

Mark Wahlberg Chill GIF

Top Bottom