• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ResetEra Discussion -- Stay civil. Don't get personal. Keep it in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saruhashi

Banned
Yes or no. Do you believe its okay to mock mentally ill people/people reaching out for help based on their age or sexual preferences?

Because I believe that is wrong. Which is why I spoke up in the first place.

You act as if the guy was reaching out to NeoGAF for help and we were like "fuck off".

Face to face? If someone is reaching out to me specifically? I would not do it. Of course not.

Does that mean that I do not have an opinion on it? No. I do have an opinion on it.
My opinion is that the 35 year old furry is pathetic and needs someone to give him a very strong talking to.

I don't know where the "sexual preferences" bit comes in.
I don't think it's right to bash people based on sexual orientation but I do believe that there is a lot of room for opinions when it comes to philosophical discussions about these things.

He's making an arse of himself on ResetEra and we are giving opinions on that.
What's the big deal.

I can laugh at a joke about cancer or some other illness but at the same time never tell that joke directly to a patient suffering from the disease.
Or maybe I watch a movie where there is a scene where some guy dies in a funny and ridiculous way. I will laugh my ass off but if someone close to me died like that I probably wouldn't laugh. It's a question of distance. I don't know, or care, about this guy.

No different here.
We can laugh at this clown from a distance while acknowledging that we would step up if someone in need came to us directly.

It's not exactly a "yes or no" question to be fair.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
All due respect, you are a big part of the problem over there. You rat on people while maintaining anonymity. That's why discourse over there is dead.
Yeah because I don't want to be banned. Which yes I know it is bullshit that is even something to worry about. But it's the same reason why I don't speak out against the moderation policies here either.

Last edited:

ViolentP

Yeah because I don't want to be banned. Which yes I know it is bullshit that is even something to worry about. But it's the same reason why I don't speak out against the moderation policies here either.

You will get banned for sure. That fact however is a result of actions such as yours. You are basically throwing dirt in the pool leaving members to swim in mud while being smart enough not to jump in yourself. Your place in that community has no value however which makes me wonder why you even care about getting banned.

I pick and choose my battles. I would rather try to make Era and Gaf better in the long run than die on a hill for no change at all.

Brother. You are not making things better, you are making them worse. You are not even picking your battles because you aren't battling. You are simply ratting on those you disagree with without providing your own insight. You're a cheerleader with a bb gun. Own your shit and go down with what you believe. If you aren't willing to do that, you don't deserve to tell anyone how to handle their own business.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
0xoEwrv.jpg

this right here

they crave authority

they wish they could wield it

bunch of wanna be cops. fascists in disguise.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
You will get banned for sure. That fact however is a result of actions such as yours. You are basically throwing dirt in the pool leaving members to swim in mud while being smart enough not to jump in yourself. Your place in that community has no value however which makes me wonder why you even care about getting banned.
It has no value in your opinion*

I however see alot of value in my being on there. I have friends across several community threads there that I talk to and play online with daily.

ViolentP

It has no value in your opinion*

I however see alot of value in my being on there. I have friends across several community threads there that I talk to and play online with daily.

You are demonstrating more value right here right now than you are over there. Why? Because here you aren't afraid to speak your mind regardless of how you're perceived. There is honesty there. On Era, I would never trust you because you aren't free to be honest much as you have demonstrated in having to report other users anonymously for fear of being banned.

holygeesus

Banned
My opinion is that the 35 year old furry is pathetic and needs someone to give him a very strong talking to.

What part of that description do you find 'pathetic' though? If it is the 35 year old part, then you need to educate yourself on the subject as one of the largest groups of people prone to suicide are 30-something males. Nothing pathetic about it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Last edited by a moderator:

Barsinister

Banned
What part of that description do you find 'pathetic' though? If it is the 35 year old part, then you need to educate yourself on the subject as one of the largest groups of people prone to suicide are 30-something males. Nothing pathetic about it.

I think when he starts to specifically target all 30-something males you can try again. One man does not represent the whole.

Saruhashi

Banned

The way he over-reacts to the coronavirus situation.

"I was earning money and enjoying my freedom and I had trips planned and I had finally saved enough to leave town but now that's not happening right now I am probably going to die in 18 months."

It's way over the top. Shit dude, just calm down.

The way he reacted to NeoGAF having problems a few years ago.
"I will be dead in a week and it's all your fault."

Plus a 35 year old dude dressing up as a fox or a dog or whatever animal? Come on.

Look, I understand that suicide is an issue and a major societal problem but the stuff this guy is doing is pure performance.

Fine if it's some young kid. I can imagine working summer jobs etc and saving like fuck only to have this virus situation show up and it feels like the end of the world. Not a 35 year old dude though.

Plus I am not targeting dudes in that age range in general.
Most guys who will kill themselves at that age will do so because of work or family or financial or addiction related issues.

Not "the videogame forum is ruined, I will be dead in a week and it's all your fault".
Then a few years later "my holidays might be cancelled so I am going to end it all".

Fuck, I might be totally wrong. Not that it matters.
Maybe the guy will go over the edge and I'll look like a heartless cunt. Doesn't change my opinion right now.

Rien

Jelly Belly
Kind of depressing to see so many people be so dismissive of someone who is possibly suicidal and in need of help. I distinctly remember alot of people railing against Era in this thread for similar behavior actually. Does that not apply when it's a member of Era? I also notice most people using his age and his apparent sexual fetish as a way to dismiss his cry for help.

Does his age or sexual preferences make it okay to dismiss his mental health and possible suicidal tendencies? Because I remember alot of backlash here when there was a similar situation with a YouTuber awhile back and people on Era dismissed that person's cry for help. People on here were furious that people on Era were being dismissive and using humor as a way to respond to it. And yet the same thing seems to be happening here.

Good post! Agreed

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

I feel like there might be a connection between leading an unfulfilling and "pathetic" life and suicide rates... I hope folks like him do get the help they need and find a solid reason to live. It's not too late to turn things around even at 35 or older.

Thabass

Usually I ignore these types of posts since they're dime a dozens...

...... but this one comes from a mod.
222HZyO.png

Nice to know Resetera gives out blank checks to be racist against other groups. And if you complain, well, then it's just being "sensitive".

Just don't be sensitive when they also threaten to kill children I guess.

aXDCy0I.png

Gotta love fighting racsim with..

*checks notes*

Racism.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Yeah how hypocritical of me to stand behind my principles by reporting nearly a dozen posts and directly messaging the mods about the hypocrisy on display. How hypocritical of me to call out you people for dismissing the mental health concerns of someone based on a limited understanding of who they are despite the fact that there were dozens upon dozens of posts in here criticizing Era for doing the exact same thing following the Etika tragedy. I'm such a terrible hypocritical person for pointing out the hypocrisy in others.

For a thread dedicated to complaining about the hypocrisy of Era you all show an alarming level of it yourselves when it's convenient.

You don't give a rat's ass about these people, you just want to make yourself feel better as that is all it is to you, a shallow attempt at trying to feel morally superior to others because deep down you know you will never truly be.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I’d personally never mock someone who is suicidal. That said, I think if that poster made that thread on this board and not ERA people wouldn’t be mocking him. I mean you’d get some people who would, you always will in any crowd, but I think most people would be supportive.

I think the difference between this and Etika is the Etika bashing had a dedicated thread about him to all trash and pile on him if I remember correctly. I think that is much more extreme. Another difference is I think the Etika stuff was hateful and vitriolic and the posts about this poster weren’t hateful, they were more in the realm of pity. I don’t think anyone here has any animosity or hate for that poster. Not that laughing at a suicidal person is right, but intent is important and I think what you find is the intent over there is to destroy people and tear them down, I don’t think anyone here has the intent to destroy anyone, some may just get caught up in the oddness of someone and their lifestyle choices and poke fun.

TheTurboFD

I am not a deliberately disruptive person by the way. I am a mild mannered, liberal, left of centre person who likes an argument but I'm certainly not a troll or anything.

Don't sweat it, I got banned for stating that not all gun owners are Nazis and Racists. I stated that what the minority does should not reflect the majority as a whole. Was banned for 2 weeks then I guess they saw me post here and upped it to perma. Think about it, I got perma for stating that generalizing is stupid. They're obviously not stable people with rational thinking.

TrainedRage

Banned
Kind of depressing to see so many people be so dismissive of someone who is possibly suicidal and in need of help. I distinctly remember alot of people railing against Era in this thread for similar behavior actually. Does that not apply when it's a member of Era? I also notice most people using his age and his apparent sexual fetish as a way to dismiss his cry for help.

Does his age or sexual preferences make it okay to dismiss his mental health and possible suicidal tendencies? Because I remember alot of backlash here when there was a similar situation with a YouTuber awhile back and people on Era dismissed that person's cry for help. People on here were furious that people on Era were being dismissive and using humor as a way to respond to it. And yet the same thing seems to be happening here.
Hey guiz..... whaddabout this?!?!?!

SpiceRacz

And let you guys know what my account is so you can go searching through my post history? lol I'll pass.

But for the record I did reach out to him in the thread and via PM just like I do in all threads like that.

giphy.gif

fyi, I do feel bad for that guy or anyone that ill-equipped to deal with life.

0xoEwrv.jpg

this right here

they crave authority

they wish they could wield it

bunch of wanna be cops. fascists in disguise.

My 3 month ERA ban was lifted on Mar 6, account deleted Mar 7th. Let them all have it, I'm happy to have severed any even peripheral association with that site. That post sums up exactly why no one of sane mind should spend any (more) time there at all. It's now at a worse spot than GAF ever was leading up to the great tantrum.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
My 3 month ERA ban was lifted on Mar 6, account deleted Mar 7th. Let them all have it, I'm happy to have severed any even peripheral association with that site. That post sums up exactly why no one of sane mind should spend any (more) time there at all. It's now at a worse spot than GAF ever was leading up to the great tantrum.
You should have gone with Young Guns II, get shot down in a blaze of glory with some home truths.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
To be honest? Yeah pretty much. I reported at least 10 of the worst ones and PM'd one of the mods about it.

I don't expect anything to happen though.
Look, if you have I respect that. Dont wish death on people. What's so hard? People need to realise to not be dickheads. People can disagree with me but I don't want to silence their dopey comments. I'll mock it though.

Last edited:

Papa

Banned

Not a person; a furry.

Look, if you have I respect that. Dont wish death on people. What's so hard? People need to realise to not be dickheads. People can disagree with me but I don't want to silence their dopey comments. I'll mock it though.

If you look past all the lunacy of the shit they post or the banning or whatever, the legit worrying thing is how quick to violence Era members claim to be. And then factor in they are quick to judgement also without any facts, So on hearsay or taking the word of a stranger on the internet, they will label someone as alt-right or fash, and then openly support or advance the idea of physically attacking them.

And mods let this thing fly?

If anything that should be bannable and warning are direct threats of physical violence (not the figurative competition terms like "we'll beat them into a pulp next week" or "I'll kick your ass at COD").

But RE mods lets it fucking slide if it's a sanctioned target. How they even become "sanctioned" is mob rule rumors and narrative twisting to begin win.

Last edited:

Papa

Banned
I pick and choose my battles. I would rather try to make Era and Gaf better in the long run than die on a hill for no change at all.

narc alert

Here’s why it’s a false equivalency.

When the Etika thing first happened, Reeee (including our resident neckbeard autist TaySan TaySan ) raced to denounce him and show how virtuous they were. Then when he actually killed himself, they raced to show their condolences as though their denouncing and virtue signalling never happened. Screenshots of the same people before/after were posted in here. We pointed and laughed at the hypocrisy.

What happened here was I joked about nature purging itself of this 35 year old hysterical furry (even though it’s clear he’s just seeking attention like he did when he knocked over the magazine rack on his way out of GAF in 2017). He is a failure of evolution in my opinion and I will continue to hold this opinion even if the purge were to actually happen (spoiler alert: it won’t). I am not saying what I am saying to appease a mob and so there will be no need for me to backtrack later like the screechers did with Etika. This is my genuine self. Would I help this guy if he asked me to in real life? Yes, absolutely, but like Saruhashi, it would take the form of tough love. Grow up, get your shit together, etc. From a distance though? lol no. He’s just another broken, likely fatherless, loser seeking attention and backpats from a social justice mob.

But don’t let me stop you from getting on your soapbox and condescending to complete distortions of reality. Like a mosquito to a porch light, you just can’t help but get your ego boost from moralising to the unclean. Utterly pathetic that you don’t quote me directly and instead only vaguely reference me as “some people”, especially given our history. You spineless worm. You are a broken person; a husk; a failure of evolution.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

Look, I feel bad for adding to the dogpile but I really think I have to put this out here.

First, I have no comment with regards to your public support of that era poster. As someone said the Etika parallels are there. I'd say however that this person doesn't need an internet forum, needs a medical professional. The only advice he needs, the only reply he really needs is the phone number of a trusted professional.

Second, I will tell you that remaining on Era, silently nodding and approving what's going on there debases you as a human being. That forum saw a young adult desperately seeking help and crying for attention and they used him as a target for shooting practice to remind each other why they were morally superior to him. Holowka killed himself after being lynched on social media without the accuser providing a single tangible record of the events. Era not only engaged in the pre-suicide lynching, but after he killed himself they competed gleefully to see who better stomped on his grave - the unspoken rule being, the happier you were that he killed himself, the more virtuous you were. In its short life, Era has become a place where people merrily desire the death of others, the people they disagree with. Through Era, they're being told that political enemies are mortal enemies, that if they are Just anyone opposing them must necessarily be Unjust and unworthy of even being considered a human being. To that purpose they've gone so far as to dismiss scientific studies that sought to ascertain how to turn bigots into virtuous persons - turns out talking to them is the way, but even being backed off by the might of social science that was laughed away.

You see, although Era proudly displays itself as being on a quest for Justice, that's only camouflage. Era is on a quest for Revenge. Enemies are to be vanquished, lynched, cancelled. Political opposition is to be annihilated. And so on. Only if you understand that, you understand why not only they allow, but also encourage people to become enraged - wrath and shame are the tools they use: be angry, or be shamed.

At this point, I hope you understand how being complicit to all this strips away your humanity. The things you get used to in that forum poison your soul.

I also had people I knew at reset. But I also have discord, psn, twitter, reddit and so on. Keeping in touch with someone is easier than it never was.

Myself? After Etika happened I couldn't just ignore what was going on any longer. I just couldn't be silent and quietly acquiesce to what I was reading.

I was banned, but that's ok.

I still keep in touch with the people I know.

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
If you look past all the lunacy of the shit they post or the banning or whatever, the legit worrying thing is how quick to violence Era members claim to be. And then factor in they are quick to judgement also without any facts, So on hearsay or taking the word of a stranger on the internet, they will label someone as alt-right or fash, and then openly support or advance the idea of physically attacking them.

And mods let this thing fly?

If anything that should be bannable and warning are direct threats of physical violence (not the figurative competition terms like "we'll beat them into a pulp next week" or "I'll kick your ass at COD").

But RE mods lets it fucking slide if it's a sanctioned target. How they even become "sanctioned" is mob rule rumors and narrative twisting to begin win.
Yeah, look what a person believes in shouldn't matter but it should only be connected to them as people once they defend awful shit. The poster denounced comments supporting the death of someone. I'm okay with that. To be fair I'm not a fan of Trump, so a return to reason is fine with me. You don't like him, fair enough, just don't wish death on anyone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom