• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Republicans want to protect drivers from lawsuits when they hit protesters

Lime

Paul Blest found that at least 6 states that had legislation this year to protect drivers from lawsuits when they hit protesters. The only that's gotten anywhere so far is North Carolina, where the House of Representatives passed it in April

A reasonable person might say that, scared or not, someone who plows a car into dozens of people in a street should be held accountable for their actions. But in the wake of recent protest movements including Black Lives Matter, authoritarian state legislators across the country have been working to legitimize the act of crashing a car into people on the street if those people happen to be protesting.

North Dakota started the trend in January, with a bill in the aftermath of protests at Standing Rock that aimed to shield drivers who killed protesters with their cars from criminal and civil liability if they “exercised reasonable care.” The bill narrowly failed in the North Dakota House. In February, Tennessee state representative Matthew Hill proposed a bill that would have also banned lawsuits against drivers who hit peaceful protesters; Hill’s bill died in committee. The Florida Senate’s iteration of the bill, introduced in February, meanwhile, simultaneously created a misdemeanor for someone who “obstructs or interferes with the regular flow of vehicular traffic” and barred lawsuits against drivers who “unintentionally” hit protesters. The burden of proof would have been on the protester who was hit by the car; that bill died in committee. Rhode Island had a similar bill introduced in March; a week later, it was held for “further study.”

Also in March, the North Carolina House of Representatives — a body of officials who currently represent districts that have been ruled by federal courts to be illegally and racially gerrymandered — passed a bill that would protect drivers who hit protesters from being sued by the victims, as Sarah Jones noted at The New Republic. “A person driving an automobile who is exercising due care and injures another person who is participating in a protest or demonstration and is blocking traffic in a public right-of-way, is immune from civil liability for the injury,” the bill says. “Due care” isn’t defined in the proposal.

The bill, which could be taken up by the North Carolina Senate either this year or next, was aimed at protesters in Charlotte who shut down highways in nonviolent demonstrations after after a police officer shot and killed Keith Lamont Scott. “These people are nuts to run in front of cars like they do,” Rep. Michael Speciale said when North Carolina House passed the bill. “If somebody does bump somebody, why should they be held liable?”

It’s not clear if all of these bills were part of some coordinated effort by a larger group or if legislators are simply cribbing ideas from each other, but either way, it’s not a coincidence. Interestingly, the original versions of the Tennessee, Rhode Island, and North Carolina bills — all of which were introduced in February and March — were strikingly similar, even down to the language used. All of the aforementioned bills were introduced by Republicans (although Rhode Island’s had two Democratic cosponsors).

The Washington Post counted 18 states as of February where Republicans had introduced anti-protest bills; luckily, most of the bills mentioned haven’t gotten anywhere close to becoming law yet. But they’re important because they show just where the Republican Party stands on the issue of protest when it comes from the left, illustrating an authoritarian streak that existed in the conservative movement long before Donald Trump, and will continue to grow after him.

These bills originated with the goal of persecuting protest movements led by people of color. Police violence against Standing Rock protesters last year warranted a United Nations investigation; instead of addressing those human rights concerns, however, North Dakota Republicans tried to make it easier to kill people with your car. That conservatives have long lamented riots and looting — considering them violent instigations rather than reactions to a violent system — but are simultaneously attempting to discourage peaceful protest is not a coincidence. The problem, as these bills showed, is the act of protest itself.

Sanctioning vehicular homicide might be a new play for conservatives, but reactionaries showing their authoritarian tendencies when confronted with protest is nothing original. As Michelle Alexander wrote in The New Jim Crow, the political weaponization of “law and order” by conservatives emerged at the end of Jim Crow as a response to direct action — sit-ins, strikes, boycotts, and other forms of civil disobedience — against segregation.

“Southern governors and law enforcement officials often characterized [direct action] tactics as criminal and argued that the rise of the Civil Rights movement was indicative of a breakdown of law and order,” she wrote. “Support of civil rights legislation was derided by Southern conservatives as merely ‘rewarding lawbreakers.’”

More at the link: https://theoutline.com/post/2093/why-republicans-want-to-protect-drivers-who-run-over-protesters

Like, why the fuck would you even consider the idea of making it a right to hit people with your car under any circumstance?

What the fuck is with these people?

You wonder how this even exists in real life.

The you read a YouTube comment like:

you drive down a street that is full of a crowd. .. someone smacks the back of you're car .. you either flinch by pushing you're foot down on the pedal. . or you are scarred shitless and decide to accelerate to get through the crowd .. (keep in mind we witnessed this at the US embassy in Egypt during the protests )... you smash into a stopped car because you didn't see it because the crowd blocking you're view ... now you have smashed into the car and people are smashing you're car to kill you .. so you put it in reverse and get out of there ... I would have reacted the exact same way does that make me a terrorist ? I fail to see how this was premeditated as the car wasn't going fast until someone hit the back of it with a bat .. if this guy was at the march he would have been extra nervous knowing he is driving through a crowd that he was fighting with before. use your brain and be honest with yourself sir

And remember that these people can vote.

Then again, he only crashed because he couldn't see the stationary cars through the hundreds of people he intended to murder to "escape", despite the street behinx him being empty before he decided to ram a crowd....you would have reacted the same way if you're homes with yourself.

Carl2291

General-Ourumov-Goldeneye.jpg

Another order from Russia.

Derwind

Right-wing extremism... Hopefully now with Nazi terrorism on the rise, they get called out. Maybe that's hoping for too much tho...

Well.... It is only a matter of time for USA to become another Venezuela. Look how each month rights will be taken down one by one.

Lime

http://walthickey.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/General-Ourumov-Goldeneye.jpg[IMG]

Another order from Russia.[/QUOTE]

Get out of here with this deflection thing. Russia isn't the problem, it's the US as a white supremacist society.

liquidtmd

Banned
Next up - Republicans start mysteriously encouraging protesters and protests, marking clearly on websites when and where they will be taking place.

Both sides. They. Are. Not. The. Same

ShyMel

The bill, which could be taken up by the North Carolina Senate either this year or next, was aimed at protesters in Charlotte who shut down highways in nonviolent demonstrations after after a police officer shot and killed Keith Lamont Scott. “These people are nuts to run in front of cars like they do,” Rep. Michael Speciale said when North Carolina House passed the bill. “If somebody does bump somebody, why should they be held liable?”
If you see protesters on the street and you decide to keep driving, you are fully aware that you might hit one of them. That's why you should be held liable.

Effect

So what they're saying is that minorities should run over nazis.
This is an example of how these type of horrible bills can easily be flipped. They clearly push this because they hate black and brown people protesting. Now that we have Nazis out there protesting themselves and actually purposefully driving into crowds I wonder if these things will be kept alive.

I expect North Carolina to keep pushing theirs though. The republicans in that state are outright evil.

Somnid

Like, why the fuck would you even consider the idea of making it a right to hit people with your car under any circumstance?

What the fuck is with these people?

I think the way they sold it was that protesters were blocking roads and thus creating a dangerous environment between people and vehicles in which case drivers should have less culpability if there was an injury. It's a stupid pro-car, reactionary proposal that was grounded in people upset by BLM/Immigration protest. Still, I don't think what happened in Charlottesville would be protected by it nor does it seem like they would go anywhere, but oh boy do I hope they choke on it.

Dhx

Looking at some of the bills, these seem to be solely aimed at drivers who unintentionally hit pedestrians that obstruct traffic. They would clearly not apply in the Charlottesville case.

I'm not sure I have the same knee jerk reaction as the article wants me too. Going to look into the actual bills more as I'm curious.

Lime

Looking at some of the bills, these seem to be solely aimed at drivers who unintentionally hit pedestrians that obstruct traffic. They would clearly not apply in the Charlottesville case.

I'm not sure I have the same knee jerk reaction as the article wants me too. Going to look into the actual bills more as I'm curious.

Who do you think are 'obsctructing traffic'? The BLM and #NODAPL protests for once and they so happen to be people of color protesting against their oppression.

BajiBoxer

Banned
Get out of here with this deflection thing. Russia isn't the problem, it's the US as a white supremacist society.
They're linked. Russia's been involved with funding white supremicist groups in the U.S. and Europe. You're right though that white supremecy is the core problem itself making all this possible.

Berto

Wtf... What the hell is going on over there guys? The US were always a bit "out there" but things have been escalating down the hole so fast!

Top Bottom