• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Xbox will start banning unlicensed third party (wireless) controllers in November

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Reminds me of this lol

aWWL2gA_460s.jpg

Soodanim

Correction. Microsoft is pretending to be pro-consumer at present. Once Xbox is in a position of strength (or once they’ve decided they need to turn the screw on the current user base) then the mask will come off again.

“let’s be gamer obsessed here as we have not gotten out of the woods... we know this could be our time to win fans vs lose being a follower.”
I'll be specific: they give you the option of batteries or battery pack, and they sell replacement parts -- two moves that are in the consumer's favour. The former also gets MS money from play and charge packs, but I think it's a win for both sides as (rechargeable) batteries are just fine for most.

As much as I'd like to say this about Sony controllers, as I prefer them by a wide margin, I can't. I have to get replacement parts online from unknown suppliers. I imagine the same is true for Nintendo, too.

Reallink

People really are trying to push this as some kind of anticheat solution when it's not. How are they going to prevent cheating in online games when all the games they push have mandatory crossplay with PC where you can use automated input to your hearts content? How are they going to do it when often they support wired unlicensed stuff like mouse and keyboard peripherals which can have automated input? This isn't going to make your online games better. It's because they want to push hardware revenue up.

No game that's worth playing forces crossplay with PC, or forces controllers into M/KB matchmaking.

Three

No game that's worth playing forces crossplay with PC, or forces controllers into M/KB matchmaking.
What sort of reply is this? If I mention games that forced crossplay or say that the xbox version of CoD, and only the xbox version, has no "crossplay off" option in the game you'll just say it's not worth playing or something.

The point is that the whole crossplay initiative, with them banging on about it, and this alleged "initiative" to stop cheating by banning controller input don't work well together at all. It's not to prevent cheating. The people trying to use a steering wheel or a fight stick that they own in a single player game aren't cheating.

Last edited:

Reallink

What sort of reply is this? If I mention games that forced crossplay or say that the xbox version of CoD, and only the xbox version, has no "crossplay off" option in the game you'll just say it's not worth playing or something.

The point is that the whole crossplay initiative, with them banging on about it, and this alleged "initiative" to stop cheating by banning controller input don't work well together at all. It's not to prevent cheating. The people trying to use a steering wheel or a fight stick that they own in a single player game aren't cheating.
Correct, that's the point. No game that forces PC crossplay or controllers into m/kb lobbies is worth playing, full stop. Crossplay is for friend groups who don't care, or coop games that aren’t ruined by recoil supression algorithms or 360 no scopes. You're free to use your combo macro fight stick on your offline Xbox, this change means you can no longer take it online. Sorry for the "legit" devices caught in the crossfire, but any company of any consequence can pay MS's pittance license percent to get on the whitelist.

Last edited:

Three

Correct, that's the point. No game that forces PC crossplay or controllers into m/kb lobbies is worth playing. Crossplay is for friend groups who don't care, or coop games that aren’t ruined by recoil supression algorithms or 360 no scopes.
So I guess you consider MS games like Gears and CoD as not worth playing but again if this action by MS was about fairer online games and not about trying to get more hardware revenue it wouldn't be forcing crossplay in those games either where people could use whatever controller they like anyway against those who can't.

Sorcerer

A couple of weeks out of the approval merger and Microsoft is already becoming arrogant. Except they haven't proven anything yet. LOL!!! Back to the Xbox One Era so quickly.
Watch them drip feed Activision games onto Gamepass next.

midnightAI

Do Sony and Nintendo allow unlicensed wireless controllers to be used on their Switch or PS5 consoles?
The issue is because up until this point it was allowed and they have changed it mid gen do people have bought controllers and other peripherals to use with their XBox. You knew about Switch and PS5 before launch.

My personal issue isnt so much unlicensed controllers but Wingman. Dualsense is just a much more comfortable controller for me so being able to use that with XBox was great.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
So why don't they just make a deal and get a license.
For some larger companies, this will be the path, but a lot of 3rd party stuff is random Chinese crap. While I don't give a shit about a Chinese copy and profit company, lots of people bought these things online because they work and are cheap.

I hope enough people complain about this. This is utter bullshit and of course everyone will follow suit. Who the fuck do MS think they are, Apple? Very cunty move.

Three

Do Sony and Nintendo allow unlicensed wireless controllers to be used on their Switch or PS5 consoles?
This isn't about knockoff unlicensed wireless controllers as much as people try to make it seem like it. Nintendo and Sony have lax wireless controller licensing rules which is why they have far more wireless controllers from third parties. This is about blocking adaptors that stop you from using your fight stick, steering wheel, or other wireless controllers on xbox which MS got no money from.

At the moment neither Sony or Nintendo block these adaptors. That's why things like this for Switch exist.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
The issue is because up until this point it was allowed and they have changed it mid gen do people have bought controllers and other peripherals to use with their XBox. You knew about Switch and PS5 before launch.

My personal issue isnt so much unlicensed controllers but Wingman. Dualsense is just a much more comfortable controller for me so being able to use that with XBox was great.

Nobody here is complaining about controllers from this gen, they are complaining about stuff from 1972 that they bought to run thier 8 tracks with now being unsupported 50 years later. Next to nobody ran out and bought unlicensed controllers for this gen. Sony gets a free pass for one gen, MS apparently should do it in perpetuity or suffer mass exodus.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Sony doesn't block things. I already said not-supporting is vastly different from blocking.

Sony also doesn't block storage. If yours meets the specs you can use it. They also don't block bluetooth headsets.

Last edited:

Three

Nobody here is complaining about controllers from this gen, they are complaining about stuff from 1972 that they bought to run thier 8 tracks with now being unsupported 50 years later. Next to nobody ran out and bought unlicensed controllers for this gen. Sony gets a free pass for one gen, MS apparently should do it in perpetuity or suffer mass exodus.
Your replys here are the dumbest I've heard. Nobody has mentioned any old product here.

You can buy a 2021 £500 Fanatec DD Pro and a 2022 ras1ution 2 and come November not have it work properly on xbox anymore. Carry on with your bullshit though.

Last edited:

midnightAI

Well I'm complaining about this gen, Wingman, that's unlicensed.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Your replys here are the dumbest I've heard. Nobody has mentioned any old product here.

You can buy a 2021 £500 Fanatec DD Pro and a 2022 ras1ution 2 and come November not have it work properly on xbox anymore. Carry on with your bullshit though.

Perhaps you should learn how to read before calling posts dumb since the very start of the whole argument was about from Dice saying his xbox 360 arcade sticks are the issue. Last checked xbox 360 launched 18 years ago. Carry on with your lies though.

Here, let me quote Dice for you:

"I need to use an unofficial adapter to use my $250 officially licensed Xbox 360 arcade stick."

Last edited:

Three

Perhaps you should learn how to read before calling posts dumb since the very start of the whole argument was about from Dice saying his xbox 360 arcade sticks are the issue. Last checked xbox 360 launched 18 years ago. Carry on with your lies though.

Here, let me quote Dice for you:

"I need to use an unofficial adapter to use my $250 officially licensed Xbox 360 arcade stick."
Maybe you should too:

In direct reply to that

You can buy a 2021 £500 Fanatec DD Pro and a 2022 ras1ution 2 and come November not have it work properly on xbox anymore.
Carry on with your bullshit though.

Last edited:

killatopak

Nope, you can't even use a PS4 controller on the PS5 to play ps5 games, forcing you to replace all of your controllers for ps5 games, but ms is evil for not supporting unlicensed 3rd party controllers, Sony meanwhile doesn't even support thier own one generation back.
Honestly, I never tried it myself. I just know from experience trying out the Dual Sense on a PS4.

Regardless, both are shitty practices that are absolutely disappointing. I don't think we need console war anti-consumer contest here.

In my case, the cost of repair and DIY replacements of crappy stick drift and sunken face buttons cost just as much as the knockoff controllers which are brand spanking new. Sure they're not as good as official controllers but it's not like official controllers are that reliable either.

I miss old controllers. Those were built like a tank.

Ozriel

M$FT
Come on. I have a self build arcade stick. Is it getting banned as well? -.-

Wireless?

The Ras1lution2 connects to the Series X console with a cable. Why would it not work? You’re in a thread talking about unlicensed wireless controllers.

Three

Your talking yourself into circles. I give up, you can win an arguement (or even converse with) someone who can't even comprehend what's being written at a basic level. You win.
You seem to be the one ignoring things at the most basic level.

Somebody mentioned that it particularly sucks that they did this out of the blue midgen because people could have bought controllers and peripherals based on the earlier policy. They mention they bought a wingman and dualsense they can't use anymore.

You reply to that saying "Nobody here is complaining about controllers from this gen, they are complaining about stuff from 1972"

Wtf is wrong with you?
When I said nobody mentioned old products here and you could buy products from 2021 which would break in november you're going back to Dices post for some kind of gotcha. An apparent gotcha for yourself too in the very same post you replied to.

Last edited:

Three

Wireless?

The Ras1lution2 connects to the Series X console with a cable. Why would it not work? You’re in a thread talking about unlicensed wireless controllers.
Try reading the OP. The ras1ution 2 will have functionality broken with the update. This isn't about wireless controllers only. It's about the adaptors that allowed conversion including the use of other wireless controllers. The title concentrated on the use of other wireless controllers since I suspect there are a lot more using that particular adaptor (like the wingman).

Ozriel

M$FT
Somebody mentioned that it particularly sucks that they did this out of the blue midgen because people could have bought controllers and peripherals based on the earlier policy. They mention they bough a wingman and dualsense they can't use anymore.

Not exactly an earlier ‘policy’, is it?
More like a blind eye they’ve turned to these things earlier.

The conversation should ideally be between the likes of Brooks and Microsoft, not between the consumer and Microsoft.

Try reading the OP. The ras1ution 2 will have functionality broken with the update. This isn't about wireless controllers only. It's about the adaptors that allowed conversion including the use of other wireless controllers. The title concentrated on the use of other wireless controllers since I suspect there are a lot more using that particular adaptor (like the wingman).

Ah. I read the article, tweet wasn’t loading for me originally.
But clearly Brooks indicates to their customers that they will provide the solution, most likely by working with Microsoft.

acm2000

didnt even know there were third party controllers that worked wireless without a dongle in the first place, i would hazard a guess these are dodgy controllers or various things designed to cheat online.

Top Bottom