• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: PS3, Vita, And PSP Stores To Be Permanently Closed In A Few Months

shaddam

If I had time I should make a list of butthurt comments and check if they are shilling gamepass :messenger_weary:

Reminder: never go full digital

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
Good that we can re-download stuff after closure. Too much to hope that Sony has a sell off of content beforehand?

Hustler

Only issue now is buying the titles you want for those systems. PS3 phsyical is dirt cheap at the moment, but i'm assuming we'll start to see spikes after this is completely closed down.

Bankai

Holy shit man.. they’re actually doing it.. 😦

Now I’ve got to list the games I still want to download for my PS3 and get them before it closes..!

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I just received email from playstation saying that they are ending up support (closing store) in 2. of July for PS3 and 27. August for Vita.

Cyborg

Stop overreacting... if you haven’t bought a game till now you will never buy it.
As long as I can download what I bought Im good

Miles708

Stop overreacting... if you haven’t bought a game till now you will never buy it.

Me, having bought a copy of F-Zero GX for Gamecube just a week ago:

ross see GIF

Games expire like yoghurt, people.

YCoCg

From the e-mail:

What about content you already own?
• You will still be able to download your owned PS3, PS Vita, and PSP content, including games and video content.
• You can download your owned content onto your PS3, PS Vita, or PSP by accessing the Download List on the respective device.
• If you have purchased a PS3/PS Vita cross-buy bundle and have only downloaded either the PS3 or PS Vita version, you will need to download the other version prior to the closure of PlayStation™Store on the relevant device.
• Video content that you own can be streamed on PS3, PS4 or PS5 through the My Videos app, or on mobile devices through the PlayStation™Video app.
• You will still be able to re-download and play game titles you have claimed through PlayStation®Plus as long as you remain a member of the service.

What about vouchers, wallet funds, and cross-buy content?
• You will still be able to redeem game and PlayStation®Plus vouchers on PS3, PS Vita, and PSP devices once PlayStation™Store and purchase functionality for these devices close.
• You will no longer be able to redeem PSN wallet fund vouchers (e.g. gift cards) on PS3, PS Vita, and PSP devices once PlayStation™Store and purchase functionality for these devices close.
• Your PSN wallet funds will remain in your PSN account, but you will only be able to use your wallet funds to purchase PS4 and PS5 products on PlayStation™Store on the web, PlayStation®App, or on PS4 and PS5 consoles.
• You will still be able to purchase cross-buy content through PlayStation™Store on the web, PlayStation®App, or on PS4 and PS5 consoles and access both the PS4 version and the PS3/PS Vita/PSP versions.

Cyborg

Me, having bought a copy of F-Zero GX for Gamecube just a week ago:

ross see GIF

Games expire like yoghurt, people.
Hahah! You are not a typical gamer most of the consumers wont care. 😃

I mean why would you want to buy a Vita game at this point? If you liked the game you would have bought it in the last 7 years.

Just curious: Fzero is physical or did u buy it Digital?

Eimran

You can still download your purchased content, but for how long? Also, how long before this means PS3 and Vita progress won't sync up to Trophy server? Sony wants these old systems and games buried and it shows.
I was also worried about that since I still play PS3 and also like to chase trophies. But since you can still download the games you bought would mean you also van still synchronise with the server so that's a good thing.

As long as I can download what I bought Im good

I was a bit of a late adopter and I still buy games on PSN, I bought Killer is Dead and NiGHTS maybe 4-5 months ago. Having that option taken away sucks and the price of physical games is going to go up now.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Thinking of getting:

- Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions
- Dissidia 012: Duodecim
- Persona 3 Portable
- NiGHTS
- Digital Devil Saga games
- Raidou Kuzunoha games

Last edited:

Miles708

Hahah! You are not a typical gamer most of the consumers wont care. 😃

I mean why would you want to buy a Vita game at this point? If you liked the game you would have bought it in the last 7 years.

Just curious: Fzero is physical or did u buy it Digital?

I mean, there are actually a myriad of reasons to buy games late, such as not knowing the game, or discovering new series.
It's not really different from buying 80's music or 90's movies, if you think about it. No one would listen to contemporary music only (mostly because conteporary music is shit, but that's another topic).

I've always found weird that videogames have a "current gen only" mentality over them, as if for nobody should ever even think about checking past works. How's that logical?

Digital stores enable this kind of behaviour from companies without any choice or recourse, and in the end, that's a net loss for everyone who isn't a multi-billion company.

Andyliini

Got into Mana series lately, and Vita seems to be the only place to buy Adventures of Mana outside of mobile. Might get that one. There is always a chance it could release on, say, Switch, but you never know with these.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I suppose it's only a matter of time now before they stop letting people download their previously purchased games.

I guess one good thing to come from this is that these systems have been rife with piracy for years, which means it's feasible for people to make their own digital backups of their own purchased games. It also means that none of this digital-only content should disappear completely once this happens.

Fake

As of 19 October 2020:

• You will no longer be able to purchase PS3, PSP and PS Vita content, themes or avatars on our web or mobile stores. However, you can still purchase PS3, PSP or PS Vita content on their respective devices.
  • We will also be discontinuing the Wishlist and all items currently on Your Wishlist will be deleted.

Existing PlayStation Plus subscriptions will not be affected by these changes. You will continue to be able to access and download all of your existing PlayStation Plus content.

Additionally, you will still be able to access your already purchased content from your respective devices.

Thank you for using the PS Communities feature on your PS4 console. As of April 2021, this feature will no longer be supported or available on your PS4 console.
However, you'll still be able to stay connected and enjoy messaging features and more on your PS4 console and the PlayStation App.

Last edited:

theclaw135

Banned
Fine. I was wrong.

So much we're losing from this:
Fire Pro Wrestling Returns
Mega Man Legends
Suikoden
Gradius V
Fatal Frame
Wild Arms
Mega Man Maverick Hunter X
Tomba
Klonoa

Where do I scratch the surface!?

Good that we can re-download stuff after closure.
See...this doesn't make any sense. The expensive bit isn't the store, it's the CDN to distribute the content. In fact the store makes you some amount of money whereas the CDN, on its own, only costs you money. Shutting down the store without shutting down the CDN (or in this case just pulling all that data off it) makes about as much sense as shutting down the CDN without shutting down the store. If you're going to keep one running you might as well keep both going.

Miles708

See...this doesn't make any sense. The expensive bit isn't the store, it's the CDN to distribute the content. In fact the store makes you some amount of money whereas the CDN, on its own, only costs you money. Shutting down the store without shutting down the CDN (or in this case just pulling all that data off it) makes about as much sense as shutting down the CDN without shutting down the store. If you're going to keep one running you might as well keep both going.

The store is probably its own additional application (meaning: maintenance, supervision, security) that's now very old and, quite possibly, a nightmare to work with on the backend. Legacy systems are a cost to maintain.

Alternatively, this could be a multi-step phase out, so that you will effectively stop any service once the users are accustomed to the idea.

I think it's both.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Either the store costs a load of money to maintain, or Sony wants to force PS3 gamers to buying PS4 and PS5 games. Likely the latter as PSN funds can still be used for PS4/PS5 gear.

I am only active on PS3, PS Vita or PSP devices, and do not currently own a PS4 or PS5. What will happen to any funds left in my PSN wallet after the closure of the PlayStation™Store for these devices?

Your PSN wallet funds will remain in your PSN account, but you will only be able to use your wallet funds to purchase PS4 and PS5 products on PlayStation™Store on the web, PlayStation®App or on PS4 and PS5 consoles. If you are only active on a PS3, PS Vita or PSP device, don't use a PS4 or PS5 console, and don't plan on using one, you may request a refund of any funds left in your wallet. We recommend that if you plan to top up your wallet prior to the store closures, you only top up by the minimum amount required to buy the desired content. We will be updating this page with more details on how to request such a refund.

Pantz

PS1, PS2, PSP are easy enough to emulate after buying a physical copy of course.

Gonna have to look over PS3 exclusives and their DLC now as they are harder to emulate.

Vita doesn't have tooo many exclusive games left right?

Let the research begin.

stitch1

This just reinforces me to stop buying anything other than Sony exclusives on their systems. And I'll only buy those when I'm ready to play them.

I'm wanting to play Portal 2 co-op with my wife. I own it on PS3. But would like to play it on a more modern console. So now I'm buying the 360 version so I can play on the Series X.

I had bought spider-man cheap on PS4 but in order to play the updated version on PS5 I had to buy it again with Miles.

Just shows how unfriendly Sony has become. Yet, I can pop in my original Xbox disc of KOTOR and off I go playing on my Series X.

Keihart

Well this sucks, at least the download list will keep working....but good luck finding something in that mess.

[Sigma]

Told you many years ago that digital on consoles was bullshit. You DOE dudes are the real🤡. You know Jim Ryan is in his tower right now laughing his ass off and unlike Phil, you can't reach out to him and air out your disgust cuz he doesn't do social media. He's in his tower right now crunching the numbers cuz you know this dude doesn't game at all.

Jim Ryan in his office: "Ok we need to get rid of this, close down that. I'll buy some time by lying and saying we support this. Oh, they were having fun convo, talking about games/sharing info in the communities on PS4? Oh no we got to get rid of that too":messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
I have small hope that Sony will announce a digi backwards compability store with small upgrades to the original games. Like better resolution, frame rate and trophies.

Sony should just buy Bluepoint and have them have a medium to small sized team that would make that happen.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Thinking of getting:

- Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions
- Dissidia 012: Duodecim
- Persona 3 Portable
- NiGHTS
- Digital Devil Saga games
- Raidou Kuzunoha games
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together? I’d recommend getting all the Parasite Eve games while you can. Local stores are asking for $70+ for it now.

Welp good thing I've nothing i still want from the PS3 store anymore and what I've bought i still can re-download and my PSP/Vita are hacked so I've no problem with this.

They need to unify their store going forward and FFS Cerny and Jim Ryan get your shot together and release an emulator for PS5 that runs PS1/2/3/P/Vita.

johntown

Banned
I suppose it's only a matter of time now before they stop letting people download their previously purchased games.

I guess one good thing to come from this is that these systems have been rife with piracy for years, which means it's feasible for people to make their own digital backups of their own purchased games. It also means that none of this digital-only content should disappear completely once this happens.
It is all out there already and pretty easy to find. No one has to worry about that. The biggest concern is hardware failures. Then your only option is PC or refurbished hardware.

Agent X

It's sad to see that this is true.

It would be nice for Sony run a few big sales on the PS3/PSP/PS Vita games during the final weeks, to encourage people to put in a final big shopping spree before they close the store.

If there is one glimmer of hope, it appears that any games for those systems that were also cross-buy with PS4/PS5 will still be purchasable. You'll have to make the purchase from PS Store on a PS4/PS5 or PC/mobile device, though.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Either the store costs a load of money to maintain, or Sony wants to force PS3 gamers to buying PS4 and PS5 games. Likely the latter as PSN funds can still be used for PS4/PS5 gear.

The store needs to be kept secure, as it handles money transactions and license mediation. This requires ongoing continuous support both on the back-end and the console client.

Data storage is basically a big FTP repository, and as data only really flows downstream they can just incorporate it into their global storage footprint along with the PS4 and PS5 library. Permissions will get handled the same way based on PS+ and/or purchase entitlement. From the perspective of server handling, its all the same.

Agent X

The store needs to be kept secure, as it handles money transactions and license mediation. This requires ongoing continuous support both on the back-end and the console client.

Data storage is basically a big FTP repository, and as data only really flows downstream they can just incorporate it into their global storage footprint along with the PS4 and PS5 library. Permissions will get handled the same way based on PS+ and/or purchase entitlement. From the perspective of server handling, its all the same.

It will still be possible for PS3/PSP/PS Vita owners to purchase games that are cross-buy with PS4/PS5 versions, as mentioned above.

With that in mind, since there is an avenue to get some subset of the games for those systems, shouldn't it be possible for Sony to gradually add the non-cross-buy games back into the "new" Web-based version of the PS Store?

I don't understand how this should be a majorly different security situation. If some games are still purchasable using that method, then why not all of them?

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
I have no horse in this race as I owned neither a PSP, PS3 or Vita. However this is worrisome for a product that’s only 10 years old. It’s good that you will be able to still download your purchases but seems only right that that would be the case. Seems pretty “googlish” but nowhere near as bad. Just makes me more concerned about an all digital future where publishers can potentially pull downloads from stores on a whim.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I have no horse in this race as I owned neither a PSP, PS3 or Vita. However this is worrisome for a product that’s only 10 years old. It’s good that you will be able to still download your purchases but seems only right that that would be the case. Seems pretty “googlish” but nowhere near as bad. Just makes me more concerned about an all digital future where publishers can potentially pull downloads from stores on a whim.

Don't worry, you can download your games anytime. Read the support message:

Maybe put this in the OP: D DiddyKongRacing69

image0.png

Top Bottom