• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: PS3, Vita, And PSP Stores To Be Permanently Closed In A Few Months

KAL2006

Banned
I think losing PS1 games isn't actually a big deal if you are curious about playing those games. As well as PSP games. Yes most of these games are crazy expensive on eBay, but emulation for PS1 and PSP is near 100 percent. So say for example someone wants to really check out Suikoden 2, it's always going to be possible. You can even run it on your phone. What really hurts is the games where emulation isn't upto par. Vita, PS2 and PS3. PS2 emulation while decent still has lots of bugs. PS3 and Vita isn't no where near manageable. So you lose out on games like Puppeteer, Onimusha 2, ICO, Tokyo Jungle, Ratchet and Clank Future games, Uncharted Golden Abyss, and etc. It's a shame those games will cease to exist and there is no way to emulate these accurately.

AmuroChan

Hey Sony, the solution is simple. Put all those legacy games on PS Now and allow all games on the service to be downloaded onto PS5s and played via emulation. Don't tell me it's not possible when your competitor has already done it.

SirTerry-T

'ang on a minut' there, mate.

16016603942160.jpg

Who wants to play dem ol', moldy PS3 'n' PSVitah gaimes? Blimey, that's utter bollocks. They look ancient!
Jim Ryan's from the North East of England pal, he'd sound more like ACDC's Brian Johnson than an extra from a Guy Richie film but I appreciate the sentiment :). The fella doesn't give a shit.

Quasicat

I just got the email announcing the store closures, but at least it says in the email that you can continue to access your old content from the download menu. Looks like I’m picking up all of the Tales and PS1 games I missed before it closes.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
so... when is close the ps3 and ps vita psn store... i cannot download the games??? even if i buy them???

Last edited:

Zambatoh

I just got the email from Sony confirming this.

I think this would've been fine if the original web store was still available to purchase old games on. But unfortunately upon checking my bookmark for the old web store, it now redirects to the new store. This fucking sucks. The new craptastic store is the only way to shop now. My disappointment with Sony has been immeasurable as of late.

Keihart

I should have clarified that I was referring to the PlayStation Store on the Web.

I understand that they're closing the PS Store on the PS3/PSP/PS Vita systems themselves. I'd be fine with that, as long as purchases could still be accomplished from the Web version of PS Store.

According to Sony's announcement, it will still be possible to purchase a PS3/PSP/PS Vita game from the Web version of PS Store, as long as that game happens to be cross-buy with PS4 or PS5. So, the cross-buy games will still be purchasable, and the non-cross-buy games won't.

What I'm asking is where do you (or Sony) perceive to be the most vulnerable points of the PS Store commerce process? I would guess (especially based on two paragraphs above) that it's the PS Store within the consoles, since some games (the cross-buy ones) would still be purchasable through the Web.

If the Web PS Store is considered more secure than the existing PS Store interfaces on PS3/PSP/PS Vita, then why not start migrating that content to the Web store? Obviously, they're not interested in patching or maintaining the PS Store interfaces within the old consoles. Like I said, fine. Just keep the Web PS Store up to snuff, and encourage PS3/PSP/PS Vita owners to use that avenue from now on. Customers will be doing that for cross-buy games in a few months anyway (regardless of whether they own PS4/PS5 or not), so why not just let publishers of non-cross-buy games opt in on the action also?
The redesign of the PS Store makes no sense either, it has less features and you can't even push downloads to PS3 and Vita, seems like they are trying really hard to stop me from playing on my old hardware, i wonder if they are gonna try to shut down the downloads list too by end of the year, it has been a very step by step move so it goes under the radar and doesn't bring bad press.

sol_bad

I don't pay for PS+ myself but how much money do Sony make from it??? And they can't indefinitely keep the PS3 store servers running?

Fuckers.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
Hey Sony, the solution is simple. Put all those legacy games on PS Now and allow all games on the service to be downloaded onto PS5s and played via emulation. Don't tell me it's not possible when your competitor has already done it.
they could do it...But they don't want to.

sainraja

As long as we are still able to download games that we purchased for the systems I don't see a big issue. But hopefully, this isn't how the future will be handled.

Wouldn't count on it, there has been no sale for PS3/PSV since Christmas 2019.
I could have swore its been longer than that but I was pretty busy that Christmas so there's a good chance I just missed it entirely. I try to pick up a few things whenever there's a sale and it's been awhile since I can remember dropping a decent amount during a PS3 sale

ranmafan

Its great to see we will still be able to download our old purchases, which was the one thing that really concerned me about this decision. It sucks but I'm kinda surprised the ps3 store is still up even now. It barely works as is, and has been in that state for years, and even the buy option is completely hidden now for some strange reason (not just for me but I've heard others have his problem) making it difficult to buy anything off the store.

Obviously Sony has a huge issue in how it deals with its legacy content, and its something they really need to do something about. But considering the issues with the difficulties of emulating their old hardware due their design choices, and how they have just completely moved away to PS4/PS5 being their only concern, I doubt it will happen. I'm still honestly confused why the PS1 stuff hasn't made it over to PS4/5. There can't be much of a reason to prevent that. I wonder if there is another reason, like monetary reason with licenses and all that they don't want to deal with.

dotnotbot

I could have swore its been longer than that but I was pretty busy that Christmas so there's a good chance I just missed it entirely. I try to pick up a few things whenever there's a sale and it's been awhile since I can remember dropping a decent amount during a PS3 sale

There were only 2 sales in 2019, both amazing with huge list of PS3/PSV games and super low prices. Shame that Sony didn't warn people they were the last ones ever...

Keihart

Its great to see we will still be able to download our old purchases, which was the one thing that really concerned me about this decision. It sucks but I'm kinda surprised the ps3 store is still up even now. It barely works as is, and has been in that state for years, and even the buy option is completely hidden now for some strange reason (not just for me but I've heard others have his problem) making it difficult to buy anything off the store.

Obviously Sony has a huge issue in how it deals with its legacy content, and its something they really need to do something about. But considering the issues with the difficulties of emulating their old hardware due their design choices, and how they have just completely moved away to PS4/PS5 being their only concern, I doubt it will happen. I'm still honestly confused why the PS1 stuff hasn't made it over to PS4/5. There can't be much of a reason to prevent that. I wonder if there is another reason, like monetary reason with licenses and all that they don't want to deal with.
PS2 Classics on PS4 are also emulated, there is no reason besides maybe licensing or just not interested in good will for so little money.

rkofan87

Gold Member
ot but is there a thread for games you do not know the name of that you are trying find on gaf?

Last edited:

ranmafan

PS2 Classics on PS4 are also emulated, there is no reason besides maybe licensing or just not interested in good will for so little money.
Yeah we did get a few ps2 emulated games on ps4, not enough sadly. And sadly even those had some issues on a game by game basis. I bet licensing is a huge reason for it along with making sure each game works properly. Plus and I hate to say it, gamers outside of the hardcore gaming groups of online forums and youtube probably don't care as much as people think they do about backwards compatibility or the old stores closing. I bet a lot of people see it as a nice extra feature but not the main issue for them. Still it is something Sony should work to get better at, because the biggest issue is simply put these old systems are going stop working and no matter if the downloads are up or not they will become unplayable then. So gamers need to keep pushing Sony on this issue.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
My god...how ignorant of preservation can you be? If you don't take steps to preserve something while it can still be bought then when it can't be bought anymore (which will happen whether you want to believe it or not) it'll already be too late...it'll already be lost to time.

Just buying something isn't "preserving" it. Especially when all you are actually buying is a digital license to play the game on the associated account.

See, what you seem to be forgetting is that you don't own jack shit.

Even if you have the thing downloaded, its digitally signed, so you can't clone the drive and transfer it to another system! So you better hope your hardware is immortal because when its gone... all you have to show for it is a permission entry on a service ledger.

You aren't a collector or archivist. People who do that know what they are buying, they know the difference between an original work and mass-produced copy of the same.

Not to mention the fact, that for a true collector Sony withdrawing the library from sale is actually a great thing because by imposing further scarcity to supply the long-term value of all affected titles just got elevated massively.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Thank fucking god I bought physical Vita games 95% of the time unless I had to buy digital like Digimon Cyber Sleuth and Dragon Quest Builders. I just wish the EU store had as many worthwhile PlayStation classics as America has. No Xenogears, no Breath of Fire IV, no Dino Crisis/2.

Buy Suikoden/2 on PS3 and Vita while you can.

Keihart

Just buying something isn't "preserving" it. Especially when all you are actually buying is a digital license to play the game on the associated account.

See, what you seem to be forgetting is that you don't own jack shit.

Even if you have the thing downloaded, its digitally signed, so you can't clone the drive and transfer it to another system! So you better hope your hardware is immortal because when its gone... all you have to show for it is a permission entry on a service ledger.

You aren't a collector or archivist. People who do that know what they are buying, they know the difference between an original work and mass-produced copy of the same.

Not to mention the fact, that for a true collector Sony withdrawing the library from sale is actually a great thing because by imposing further scarcity to supply the long-term value of all affected titles just got elevated massively.
oh yes collecting, must be so fun. I would make the wild guess that most people care about playing them and not the "perceived" value.

Collecting it's no preserving.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This, but it too would be a select list and not all, but still better than nothing.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
To be honest, I think the games on PS4 onwards are here to stay compared to PS3 since those games are 99.9% BC on PS5, but that's just me.

Last edited:

ranmafan

To be honest, I think the games PS4 onwards are here to stay compared to PS3 since those games are 99.9% BC on PS5, but that's just me.
This is what I am hoping as well. It seems that the switch to the type of hardware they use now vs the special chips they used in ps2 and PS3 shows this. It’s not the best situation but it’s better than nothing. Still a shame that there isn’t a nice solution to play our older games in the future on current or newer Sony hardware. Hoping Sony changes that stance but I’m doubtful they will.

Agent X

After the PS Store interfaces on the PS3/PSP/PS Vita consoles are closed, the only way to buy any downloadable games for those systems is if the game happens to be cross-buy with PS4 or PS5.

A thought just entered my mind: When this occurs, there might be only one PSP game that will still be purchasable. That game is Retro City Rampage DX, which happens to be a four-way cross-buy game (PS4/PS3/PS Vita/PSP). It is the only game that I am aware of that is cross-buy between PSP and PS4.

Wondering how many people on PS4 and PS5 right now had a previous PlayStation console vs new blood being introduced to PlayStation? Just thinking if this news story is goin to affect the mindset of the new guys of sticking around or if it has no effect at all?

Derktron

Banned
This has got nothing to do with preservation its just dummies acting hysterically based on an impulse to hoard and FOMO.
And it has does have to do with preservation, a fanboy would only say such stupid things. I swear you fanboys get dumber each time as the decades come by.

Grechy34

Sony are lucky they have the better exclusives at this point. I am not mad they are shutting these stores down but I am really mad at how they handle their legacy titles.

You only have to look at the PS1 classic to see how much they care for them.

Last edited:

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
If you think Sony's handling of legacy titles was bad, wait till you hear about Nintendo's.

This got me thinking, when the next Switch successor comes out, will there even be BC? My head is leaning towards a no tbh. The issue is that a lot have invested in the Switch eShop ecosystem too compared to the earlier eShops.

Last edited:

Grechy34

If you think Sony's handling of legacy titles was bad, wait till you hear about Nintendo's.

This got me thinking, when the next Switch successor comes out, will there even be BC? My head is leaning towards a no tbh. The issue is that a lot have invested in the Switch eShop ecosystem too compared to the earlier eShops.

Nintendo's hasn't been a home run but far better then Sony.

ULTROS!

Nintendo's hasn't been a home run but far better then Sony.

How is it far better? Sure you can redownload your Wii games but you can't redownload them on another Wii.

Just buying something isn't "preserving" it.
Which was exactly my point. Just buying it isn't good enough. Congratulations, you missed the point completely. And you're wrong by the way...part of preservation is bypassing those digital license restrictions. Whether companies like it or not piracy is a necessary evil.

Jim Ryan's from the North East of England pal, he'd sound more like ACDC's Brian Johnson than an extra from a Guy Richie film but I appreciate the sentiment :). The fella doesn't give a shit.
Lol, didn't mean to throw shade on you and your folks. No foul intended. It was purely meant as mockery of Ryan's ill-sighted perspective.

Last edited:
Well, not to worry, think of all that time that was saved not having to change discs or cartridges. That clearly makes up for it.

Shmunter

Err that long ass post needs to be in quotes or some shit. Feel like a gay French prince scrolling and scrolling and scrolling on my iPad.

KiNeMz

Banned
I really hope they are working on another way to purchase these games on PS4/ps5/psnow. Surely there is a plan. Has to be. Has to be. They can't be this crazy. You going to make me buy an Xbox so I can play metal gear Sony? Are you really doing this? I will do it. I'm serious.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
So you lose out on games like Puppeteer, Onimusha 2, ICO, Tokyo Jungle, Ratchet and Clank Future games, Uncharted Golden Abyss, and etc.
Many of those are available in physical form though.

SaucyJack

I really hope they are working on another way to purchase these games on PS4/ps5/psnow. Surely there is a plan. Has to be. Has to be. They can't be this crazy. You going to make me buy an Xbox so I can play metal gear Sony? Are you really doing this? I will do it. I'm serious.

Metal Gear is already on PS Now.

xrnzaaas

It's a real shame that Sony is doing it, especially compared to Microsoft who isn't forgetting about the original Xbox, not to mention the Xbox 360.

I know that PS4 is unlikely to share the same fate due to being 99% BC, but decisions like this still lean me towards buying more retail games instead of digital ones.

Last edited:
Is there any chance of Sony doing a big sale on all the ps1, ps3, and psv stuff before they stop selling it?

I'd love to see it. But I doubt anyone there cares. We can probably ask on social media, media someone will care but i give it few % chance with asshole Ryan leading Sony now.

bender

What time is it?

If these games were selling, Sony wouldn't be shutting down the store. This isn't great news, but at least we'll have access to our purchase history for now.

bender

What time is it?
They’d be selling better if systems produced in the last decade could play them

If classics would have been profitable on PS3, Sony surely would have brought that program forward. PS4 told you everything you needed to know about Sony's BC plans. PS3 might have been a bear to emulate because of the Cell/Jaguar but PS2/PSOne emulation should have been much easier. Complaining about it on PS5 is a little tired at this point. Nintendo ditched their strategy as well. What Microsoft is doing is great, but let's not pretend that they only reason they invested in it so heavily is that they got their teeth kicked in and were looking for good will from their consumers and a way to bolster their lackluster One catalog.

Good news: If you have a ps3 with dead cmos battery and psn off, u can just adjust the clock on the settings, go to clock and date and set by internet, done! U can play all the digital games! (Did all this without login to psn)

So u just need internet. (In a dead cmos battery case)
This is good news in the future when psn on ps3 don't work anymore!?

I tested by myself with my old heavy ass ps3! I use my super slim nowdays, but i had some games on my old ps3, so i did the test!

Last edited:
Top Bottom