• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

REMEMBER REACH l OT

Zato

Banned
I really enjoyed it upon initial release back on the 360 but it hasn't aged very well in terms of gameplay.

Also it doesn't look very good, can't see much of the "work" they have supposedly done to it.

GymWolf

I don't know, maybe it was a wrong time to play it when he originally comes out on xbox but i consider reach the worst halo chapter, it was the only one who i never completed and berely touched the multyplayer, but like i said, maybe it was a bad moment back in the days...

What is the general opinion on this game??

Last edited:

H4ze

Yeeaahhh MCC on Steam wohooo

Played the first chapter of Reach yesterday, first time playing reach for me.
Everything works great, even if I had to manually update windows first for some missing .dll

Only thing that sucks is that the gun sounds sound muffled, like, they are just too quietly. But it's not that bad, that I would stop playing it.
Voices and everything else are fine by my side.

Diddy X

I don't know, maybe it was a wrong time to play it when he originally comes out on xbox but i consider reach the worst halo chapter, it was the only one who i never completed and berely touched the multyplayer, but like i said, maybe it was a bad moment back in the days...

There is no general opinion on this I think, some like it, some don't.

I love it, Halo has always been my favourite franchise along Devil May Cry, for some reason I didn't enjoy Reach much back in the day, maybe I played too much Halo 3 and got burned out.

Now I'm enjoying it so much, gameplay is king and along the refreshed graphics and framerate I'm having a blast.

klosos

I have never played a Halo game but i have Game Pass , when i get time over the Xmas period ill have to jump in and give this a try.

Game Pass is Fantastic value with the amount of interesting games on there, the only issue is finding the time to give them all a fair go

GymWolf

There is no general opinion on this I think, some like it, some don't.

I love it, Halo has always been my favourite franchise along Devil May Cry, for some reason I didn't enjoy Reach much back in the day, maybe I played too much Halo 3 and got burned out.

Now I'm enjoying it so much, gameplay is king and along the refreshed graphics and framerate I'm having a blast.
yeah halo 3 was probably part of the reason why i was kinda burned out with the saga (not in a negative way).

Ivory Blood

For anyone having issues with the sound - until 343 fix it, go to data/audio/soundbanks.xml and change the values to this:

<Bank name="Init" priority="7" />
<Bank name="Main_Bank_Update_1" priority="5" />
<Bank name="Main_Bank" priority="5" />

It somewhat fixed the problem for me - I can actually hear the guns and the characters. Not ideal, but well. Also played multiplayer and did not get a ban for altering the file.

Griffon

For anyone having issues with the sound - until 343 fix it, go to data/audio/soundbanks.xml and change the values to this:

<Bank name="Init" priority="7" />
<Bank name="Main_Bank_Update_1" priority="5" />
<Bank name="Main_Bank" priority="5" />

It somewhat fixed the problem for me - I can actually hear the guns and the characters. Not ideal, but well. Also played multiplayer and did not get a ban for altering the file.

I don't know what this is supposed to do, the mixing is still a mess after changing it.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Is it already dead online? Spent 15 minutes finding a game no luck.

The game only starts with full players and it takes ages to get.

Last edited:

The_Mike

Game sound sucks donkeys, but this is definitely the good ol' Halo I remember. Only this and DOOM give me joy in FPS. Can't believe how easy it is to get MP games, too.

How? I have to wait around 10 or 15 minutes for a match.

I would hope the game isn’t already dead, wasn’t this top 3 streaming just 12 hours ago? Game Pass and Steam players can play together right?

Really? The longest I took for a match up is like 5 min, which isn't too different from Overwatch.

OW only takes longer than 2 minutes for me if I’m playing DPS.

maybe it’s my Elo tho

Are there any graphical improvements to the PC version outside of resolution and AA?
Digital Foundry mentioned that the enhanced graphical setting pushed the more detailed LOD further away. Now I don't know if that is only compared to the original version or if the same setting is already on Xbox one.

waylo

Banned
I could've sworn there was going to be actual graphics options and not this console "Enchanced/Original" bullshit. Was there not some dev video or something that went out where they were looking at the graphics options, or am I remembering something else?

Anyway, played for a bit with some buddies last night and had fun. There are definite audio issues (mainly it being that it sounds awful) and I definitely think frame pacing is fucked as even at 400 FPS it doesn't feel all that smooth. But yeah, it was alright.

Also, playing at 5120x2880 resolution and the game itself runs fine, but the menus, specifically the customization menu, my frames tank down to like 30. Seems odd.

Last edited:
I could've sworn there was going to be actual graphics options and not this console "Enchanced/Original" bullshit. Was there not some dev video or something that went out where they were looking at the graphics options, or am I remembering something else?

Anyway, played for a bit with some buddies last night and had fun. There are definite audio issues (mainly it being that it sounds awful) and I definitely think frame pacing is fucked as even at 400 FPS it doesn't feel all that smooth. But yeah, it was alright.

Also, playing at 5120x2880 resolution and the game itself runs fine, but the menus, specifically the customization menu, my frames tank down to like 30. Seems odd.

I felt the same way, I turned on Nvidia low latency and the game felt much snappier. Maybe it’s just me tho

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
Woot, gonna buy soon

Edit: wait you cant even buy it without the MCC, and it isnt even included ☹️

Last edited:

Belmonte

Bought Modern Warfare on sale -last one I picked was Black Ops 2 for PS3- and had to download 155 fucking giga, spent 1 week in the process only to be corrupted in the end because some BattleNet issue. Tried everything to fix the problem but I couldn't. The troubleshooting said I need to download MW again!

I was going to wait some months to buy Reach because of COD but fuck it... going with Reach now. The only Halo I played was the first one on PC, and I liked it despite the levels being a little repetitive, so I'm hyped. I find the military sci-fi aesthetic particularly cool in Reach.

The_Mike

Is it possible to start with other weapons than battle rifle? Hate that single shot gun

Despite not being much of a Halo fan, I enjoyed Reach. Just finished the first mission and remembered why: great pacing and a great cast of characters.

Despite Halo 4 not being as enjoyable as Reach, the gulf in visuals between the two is massive. I don't remember Reach looking so... last gen.

Last edited:

LostDonkey

Not having any sound problems on PC. A few flickering textures but only on very small assets. The only thing is, changing from performance to original or to enhanced does, as far as I can tell, absolutely nothing.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Not having any sound problems on PC. A few flickering textures but only on very small assets. The only thing is, changing from performance to original or to enhanced does, as far as I can tell, absolutely nothing.
Missing shadows, shorter lod distances for minor details and some post process, that's about all enhanced has over original. It's just a slightly enhanced remaster, not a remake like previous titles in the series got for the MCC.

Also it was just an erratic 20-30fps on Xbox 360 and on Xbox One as a back compat game so 60-144 or whatever fps is a great improvement itself.

Last edited:

waylo

Banned
Feels weird to me that some people weren’t having sound issues.

it sounds absolutely horrible no matter what I do. Very weird sound mix
Myself and literally every buddy I played with (like 5-6 dudes) ALL complained that the sound was fucked. It's worth pointing out we all game with headphones as well (not gaming headsets, quality cans with DAC's/Amps). It definitely seems to be an issue.

Catphish

Played a bit today. Got it from Game Pass. So far it runs 4k like glass on my i7 6700k, 16GB RAM, GTX 1080.

Didn't do a fps counter, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was 60+.

Last edited:
Downloaded this on gamepass overnight and checked to see what it was like this morning before leaving for work and wouldn't you know it, it won't boot. Just like The Outer Worlds on game pass. Just like Ruiner on gamepass. Getting fed up with this shit. Turned off firewalls and anti virus, still won't boot. When I click play, a screen flashes for a fraction of a second then nothing. Bloodstained and Blades of the Shogun work perfectly fine but these three games just aren't having it. Why can't things just work.

Kagey K

Banned
Downloaded this on gamepass overnight and checked to see what it was like this morning before leaving for work and wouldn't you know it, it won't boot. Just like The Outer Worlds on game pass. Just like Ruiner on gamepass. Getting fed up with this shit. Turned off firewalls and anti virus, still won't boot. When I click play, a screen flashes for a fraction of a second then nothing. Bloodstained and Blades of the Shogun work perfectly fine but these three games just aren't having it. Why can't things just work.
PC is why. it’s so good (until it’s junk)

Obviously you need to update something.

PC is why. it’s so good (until it’s junk)

Obviously you need to update something.
I wish I knew what. I wouldn't be so irked if none of the games worked but having some work perfectly first time then others just not work and have no error message or anything makes my eye twitch.

Ywap

Plays like any normal PC FPS to me. Just plain gunplay. Works as it should. One thing ticks me off I noticed, pressing crouch doesn't take precedence over any other action, you have to literally stop anything you're doing for a split second, crouch, then carry on. I'm sure that's not intended behavior. Other than that it's been fine.

The crouch thing is rather annoying indeed. I was a bit bothered by the driving controls also. Accelerate and break with keyboard and turning with the mouse felt a bit weird.

Catphish

Same thing happened to me, but I was able to launch it by running the exe.

Kev Kev

when it came out people shat all over it, now they love it

the same way people shat all over halo 3, now it's one of the goats

same with halo 4

and 5

it honestly just feels like the more time goes by the more people look back fondly on old games. so following that logic people will love the shit out of halo 4 and 5 in about 12-15 years from now

Ok guy's I got the game downloaded on my PC so I can give you an experience so far from the perspective of a lower end AMD Rx 460. Good impression actually, its performance is pretty much like how CS go is on my computer. For Reach its well above 60 fps with some levels even managing to occasionally reach my Monitors 144 Hz refresh rate. I have to imagine unless they seriously fuck something up Halo 1, 2, 3, and ODST should be able to give me a lock 144 Hz with Halo 4 I'm expecting to give me similar performance to Reach.

Edit: I should say this is at 1080p. The performance is also purely from the GPU side as I have no bottlenecks elsewhere. Running off an SSD, 16 gigs of Ram, AMD Ryzen 5 3600 cpu.

Last edited:
Top Bottom