• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 76's map is getting expanded in 2024; also reached 17M players

Bethesda, in their last community update of the year, announced that the game has reached 17M players (up from 13.5 just a year ago) and also that the map will be expanded to the south towards Shenandoah National Park.
War never changes, but that sure doesn’t stop Appalachia from mutating! Later in 2024, we’re expanding our map southward, deep into the wooded heartland of Shenandoah. This uncharted, once-tranquil expanse in the heart of Virginia will bring a new questline, factions and rewards.

Concept art:
F76_storm_concept_art_in-body.png

Actually kinda exciting after a year+ of expeditions to the small and disconnected The Pitt + Atlantic City maps. They are undoubtedly trying to capitalize on the new blood that will jump into FO76 after Amazon's Fallout debuts. Smart move, but I hope they take their time with it because the recent Atlantic City update needed a bit more time in the oven, to put it nicely lol

Update 4/19:
Bumping because this update went live on the PTS today, and good news: it's an actual expansion to the map! Not massive but it's essentially a new region.
7KDFVms.jpeg

Also, Fallout 76 hit a new peak on Steam today
ZNVQRkw.png

and that doesn't include all the players that redeemed the free copy on Twitch, as well as Game Pass players.

I knew the playerbase would get a shot in the arm because of the show but wasn't expecting it to blow up this big!

Last edited:
For such a garbage game, Im surprised how many have actually jumped aboard 😩
I’m not sure where, but I’m quite sure I got it for free on ps plus or something like that before, so reaching that amount of players is not really strange. On the other hand, game is complete crap, turned it off after an hour and had to see a shrink to talk about the experience for many months.

Fallout 4 was not great, but I got a lot of fun out of it, Fallout 76 doesn’t feel anything like that.

Never played Fallout 76 and never will. The state of the game at launch and all those videos showcasing how bad it was were enough to put me off it forever. I understand that the game has come along way since but, for me, the damage is done and I have no interest in the game anymore. And having played Starfield, which was dated and a massive disappointment, I am starting to lose interest in Bethesda Games Studios as a developer of quality RPGs...

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Are you speaking from experience or just speaking based on the initial reception of the game? Because speaking as someone who has been playing the game for the past 5 years you would be surprised to see what 5 years of updates does to a game.

At least on PC anyways since I stopped playing the PS4 version over a year ago once they clarified there will not be making a next gen patch.

People love Fallout. I'm ready for a new one.
We Fallout fans got screwed over with those 8 years they wasted on Starfield because now we have to wait another 3-6 years for TES VI to come out first before they work on Fallout 5 and that would take another 3-6 years

Last edited:
Does this game just feel like co-op Fallout yet?

How is the system for ranking up, getting loot, new weapons etc.? Is it really tedious like a Ubisoft game? Or can I explore a build and find a cool gun like Fallout 4?

And how are the enemies? Does it feel like Fallout 4 when shooting them or are they more spongy for co-op purposes?

twilo99

Because they kept working at improving the game. They can do that now.

Why is that people don’t understand that video games are software and video game version 1.0 can be vastly different from the same game when it reaches 4.0 ? It’s very strange. I guess some games never improve overtime, but if the dev team is committed, they can make the game much, much better over time. Just look at Cyberpunk..

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I used to think it was like that too till I actually started playing it last year and holy smokes has it turned around. It actually pretty good now. The monetization isn’t crazy and there is tons to do. Adding to that is a really amazing community that supports newbies like nothing else.

I’d recommend the game now for sure if you like the universe.

Xavier2337

Neo Member
I used to think it was like that too till I actually started playing it last year and holy smokes has it turned around. It actually pretty good now. The monetization isn’t crazy and there is tons to do. Adding to that is a really amazing community that supports newbies like nothing else.

I’d recommend the game now for sure if you like the universe.

Although I don't like this game much(prefer single player experience for Fallout), when I tried FO76, some kind stranger just dropped me shit ton of stuff, the community there is def great.

SCB3

76 is very underrated now, it fixed a lot of the issues the Launch had with the Wastelanders update and beyond, if you like Fallout there is something here, I've not played since the BoS update though so cannot speak for the quality now, but I've heard good things

Also, the Map of Appalachia is incredible

Last edited:

Gojiira

Are you speaking from experience or just speaking based on the initial reception of the game? Because speaking as someone who has been playing the game for the past 5 years you would be surprised to see what 5 years of updates does to a game.

At least on PC anyways since I stopped playing the PS4 version over a year ago once they clarified there will not be making a next gen patch.

We Fallout fans got screwed over with those 8 years they wasted on Starfield because now we have to wait another 3-6 years for TES VI to come out first before they work on Fallout 5 and that would take another 3-6 years
Experience, not from launch tbf, but picked it up around the Wastelanders update, stuck with through to The Pitt on and off before shelving for good.
Its just not fun, or even interesting, its just more of Fallout 4’s awful writing and quest design and little to no RPG…
Now I do love the map, it is fantastic, and new enemy types/cryptids are pretty great by and large, great selection of gear/armour. But yeah cant stand the games loops.
And I totally agree that Fallout fans are getting the shit end of the stick with Bethesdas work flow, but I honestly dont see them improving or F5 being a step up from 4…

Meicyn

Gold Member
Is it an actual map expansion, or more expedition stuff? If it’s expeditions, I’m not interested. I want another full size map to explore.

This game hasn't had as big of a turnaround as No Mans Sky or Sea of Thieves, but it actually isn't that bad of a game anymore. I play every time they come out with new content, and I always play solo. I can tell that most here maybe only played it early on. It's a decently fun Fallout game now, not the trash it was at launch.

Started playing this recently out of curiosity. Spent some 10-15 hr. Not bad.

Was expecting mmo style fetch quests and generic story/ characters. Turns out it’s is closer to Fallout 4 than a mmo in these areas.

Map is excellent and generally feels great to play.

Not sure how long I will play it, but definitely looking forward to some more sessions.

Is it an actual map expansion, or more expedition stuff? If it’s expeditions, I’m not interested. I want another full size map to explore.
The wording makes it sound like it's an actual expansion of the map of Appalachia.

But I wouldn't be surprised if it's a separate map like previous FO DLC's (FO4 Far Harbor, FONV Lonesome Road, etc)

Meicyn

Gold Member
The wording makes it sound like it's an actual expansion of the map of Appalachia.

But I wouldn't be surprised if it's a separate map like previous FO DLC's (FO4 Far Harbor, FONV Lonesome Road, etc)
Yeah, if it’s a new map it’ll definitely be a separate area given the engine’s limitations.

I’m fine with that, I just genuinely hope it’s a whole new map because part of Fallout 76’s strength is running into other players in the world, much like you would in any MMO. Opens up opportunities to meet folks and create unique interactions with the environment, something instanced dungeons or in this game’s case, expeditions don’t allow for. Seeing what folks cook up with their camps is neat, even if most players put dumb prices on their vendors most of the time.

Tarnished

I love Fallout, but 76 was terrible. I don't know why they thought a Fallout game with no NPCs was a good idea, and to top it off, the story was told through those tapes which were bugged at launch and didn't play correctly.

Hopefully Fallout London will be out soon. I’m also hoping they were picked up by Bethesda because that dev team has been a bit too quiet lately.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Hopefully Fallout London will be out soon. I’m also hoping they were picked up by Bethesda because that dev team has been a bit too quiet lately.
To scratch that itch I actually started to play a TTW modlist for New Vegas called Begin Again and so far I'm having a blast! As far as Fallout London goes Bethesda already poached one of the developers from that project but he was done with his portion of the mod before he left so it won't affect the mod. Keep an eye out for Fallout Miami as that's making good progress too and I guess you can keep track of Fallout 4 New Vegas even thou that one seems to be moving along a bit slower.

Last edited:

M0G

I'd be inclined to go back but I can't justify the price of the sub when all I want is the junkbox. They killed the game for me with that bullshit. £4 a month for a junkbox only option and we'd be talking.

Xion_Stellar

They did finally add a native 60fps patch for PS5/XSX.
Ah right I forgot they stealth drop that patch too late for me thou I'm already committed to the PC version.

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

This game is still a massive horrible grindfest with heavy MTX and no endgame, also, there is definitely NOT 17 millions ACTIVE players, but more likely "17 millions of accounts created" with the vast majority absolutely inactive, they are cheatingwith numbersas usual.
Also the removal of legacy weapons was a totally garbage fiasco. The map is awesome but game mechanics are terrible, it's a CHORE to play and you spend most of your time micro-managing your inventory unless you PAY for the fallout FIST subscription which give you unlimited storage for scrap and ammo.
All "expansions" are always a new grindfest and totally disconnected from the main map (you will laugh at these "expansions" until the end of the time when you compare them to *real* expansions from The Elder Scrolls Online which make the game truely MASSIVE, yes, they are not free but I would pay to get same massiveness in Fallout). Actually, the game is more a Disneyland zone themed park than anything else with everyone wearing stupids, disconnected from Fallout, ugly skins. They also scraped a lot of things which were "once upon a time" on a roadmap, they magically disappeared without any notice.
Also the introduction of season"s" in a game you buy, force you to connect everyday to do your chore, the game rely a lot on FOMO and it works on people, I have seen it, it's hopeless.
The Fallout 3 and NV dark tone is also really missing.

One last thing, they recently outsourced content for the game to a studio specialized in mobile game monetization and the project lead, Jeff Gardner, left the team a while ago.

Lies, lies never ends.

Last edited:
Also the removal of legacy weapons was a totally garbage fiasco.
Lmao no, it was a long time coming and they should've done it when they removed the broken effects from the loot pool.

Good fucking riddance.

Let me add that 76 has the least egregious season system of any GaaS. You don't have to buy a battle pass at all, every standard reward is free with bonuses if you sub to Fallout 1st.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
This game is still a massive horrible grindfest with heavy MTX and no endgame, also, there is definitely NOT 17 millions ACTIVE players, but more likely "17 millions of accounts created" with the vast majority absolutely inactive, they are cheatingwith numbersas usual.
Also the removal of legacy weapons was a totally garbage fiasco. The map is awesome but game mechanics are terrible, it's a CHORE to play and you spend most of your time micro-managing your inventory unless you PAY for the fallout FIST subscription which give you unlimited storage for scrap and ammo.
All "expansions" are always a new grindfest and totally disconnected from the main map, the game is more a Disneyland park than anything else with everyone wearing stupid, disconnected from Fallout, ugly skins. They also scraped a lot of things which were "once upon a time" on a roadmap, they magically disappeared without any notice.
Also the introduction of season"s" in a game you buy, force you to connect everyday to do your chore, the game rely a lot on FOMO and it works on people, I have seen it, it's hopeless.
The Fallout 3 and NV dark tone is also really missing.

One last thing, they recently outsourced content for the game to a studio specialized in mobile game monetization and the project lead, Jeff Gardner, left the team a while ago.

Lies, lies never ends.

Not really countering anything you are saying, but numbers tomfoolery aside, they have enough active members to continue developing for the product. It's like that famous Miyamoto quote:

ab3.gif

Xion_Stellar

They have stated that across all platforms they have 1,000,000~ active players which is enough for them to continue making content for the game.
Also the removal of legacy weapons was a totally garbage fiasco.
The only people who lament the removal of the broken Legacy Weapons are those players themselves who were using such weapons and so far the only ones who ever bring this up are those people who come around to complain about it everybody else in the player base either rejoice their removal or were not aware they were ever a thing.
your time micro-managing your inventory unless you PAY for the fallout FIST subscription which give you unlimited storage for scrap and ammo.
Having a Fallout 1st subscription will not fix one's hoarding habits and lack of inventory management skills as you will still be required to do that even with access to the Scrap Box and Ammo Box
Also the introduction of season"s" in a game you buy, force you to connect everyday to do your chore
I guess this is totally dependent on player behavior, game knowledge and the resources they have but for me I can get away with just logging in once a week for 8 weeks and I finish the Season just fine.
One last thing, they recently outsourced content for the game to a studio specialized in mobile game monetization
Your trying to paint this as some sort of bad thing? The studio's previous works are not relevant if they don't apply to the job they were hired to do.
At that start Fallout 76 was worked on by Bethesda Softworks with Arkhane Studios,Iron Galaxy, id Software, and Zenimax Online Studios as support. Since then Double Eleven. Sparesoft, The Multiplayer Group and SkyBox Labs have come on board to provide support for the game.

All "expansions" are always a new grindfest and totally disconnected from the main map (you will laugh at these "expansions" until the end of the time when you compare them to *real* expansions from The Elder Scrolls Online which make the game truely MASSIVE, yes, they are not free but I would pay to get same massiveness in Fallout).
I will say I wish the game had bigger content drops but it's been five years now and this is simply not that type of game so hoping or expecting for ESO style of expansions now is meaningless effort.

Xion_Stellar

People who are more dialed in, correct me if I’m wrong: I don’t think there has been anything really worthwhile after Wastelanders.
That really depends on what you consider "worthwhile" they added the BOS story line Part 1 and Part 2, Nuka Word on Tour,The Pitt was introduced as two expedition missions, Mutated Events, more Daily Ops variables, new Public Events, New Gear and just recently Part 1 of the Atlantic City update with Part 2 coming in March.

There's a slew of things that I didn't mentioned but if one really want to look a what has changed since they left someone made a website for that: https://akarnokd.github.io/rng-76/returning.html

That really depends on what you consider "worthwhile" they added the BOS story line Part 1 and Part 2, Nuka Word on Tour,The Pitt was introduced as two expedition missions, Mutated Events, more Daily Ops variables, new Public Events, New Gear and just recently Part 1 of the Atlantic City update with Part 2 coming in March.

There's a slew of things that I didn't mentioned but if one really want to look a what has changed since they left someone made a website for that: https://akarnokd.github.io/rng-76/returning.html

Thanks for the info. For me, the only worthwhile stuff would be high quality story-driven single player content. How much of it was that?

Last edited:

Xion_Stellar

Thanks for the info. For me, the only worthwhile stuff would be high quality story-driven single player content. How much of it was that?
Story heavy stuff huh? So far only the BOS story line and the 2nd Atlantic City update coming in March and of course the map expansion coming in "Spring 2024" will be the most substantial story update. There are other bits of story added here and there but not a full on quest lines.

Alebrije

I love Fallout, but 76 was terrible. I don't know why they thought a Fallout game with no NPCs was a good idea, and to top it off, the story was told through those tapes which were bugged at launch and didn't play correctly.
Well , now is full of npcs and lots of stories / quests...still has a lot of Bugs but notting that makes it unplayable.

Think its better than Fallout4 (since F4 story is crap) but still far from New Vegas or 3

But it's free on PS5 and Xbone ofof You have pay services...

It's a Good Game now...

Last edited:
This great map is wasted on this shit game. Thanks, Todd.
Yeah, it's one of the best 3d maps they've made for a Fallout and it's absolutely wasted on the game. I did enjoy my time with it and I'd play it again and mess around with a buddy if they wanted to give it a shot.

Cool to see it's still going. Ready for that FO5 though.....it's been a while.

Bumping because this update went live on the PTS today, and good news: it's an actual expansion to the map! Not massive but it's essentially a new region.
7KDFVms.jpeg

Also, Fallout 76 hit a new peak on Steam today
ZNVQRkw.png

and that doesn't include all the players that redeemed the free copy on Twitch, as well as Game Pass players.

I knew the playerbase would get a shot in the arm because of the show but wasn't expecting it to blow up this big!

Top Bottom