• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember Classic Game Room?

TLZ

Banned
selling his game collection on Ebay. The worst part about it, fans identified games and hardware they had sent to the show years ago. He didn't reach out to anyone to return any of the donations to the channel. That didn't sit well with a lot of people.
If you've gifted someone something, they're free to do whatever they want with it, because they own it. You passed ownership onto them. You can't dictate to them what to do.

Havoc2049

gameroomscreen2_web.jpg
Game Room on the Xbox 360 was awesome. I wish they would bring it back.

SpiceRacz

If you've gifted someone something, they're free to do whatever they want with it, because they own it. You passed ownership onto them. You can't dictate to them what to do.

Yea I get that, but he came out and said he wouldn't sell donations to the channel.

Unknown?

*bump*

Mark's reviving Classic Game Room. All videos will be on Instagram and TikTok. Not sure how I feel about that. Hopefully, he's doing this out of an actual desire to make make good content that actually appeals to his fanbase. All his other endeavors (books, comics, music, etc.) outside of CGR have failed.
Great two things I don't use. If he really hates YouTube that much then use Rumble and Odysee. Both a great alternatives and Rumble is quickly getting huge. In fact a lot of people on Rumble get better engagement than YouTube.

Last edited:

GeekyDad

*bump*

Mark's reviving Classic Game Room. All videos will be on Instagram and TikTok. Not sure how I feel about that. Hopefully, he's doing this out of an actual desire to make make good content that actually appeals to his fanbase. All his other endeavors (books, comics, music, etc.) outside of CGR have failed.
Yeah, he obviously still has issues with YT for whatever reason. Maybe whatever mechanics they changed over the years gave him less money, but whatever. We all gotta make a living, and I ain't going to either of those sites just to watch him. Absolutely loved his videos, and I think he can still have success on Youtube. Seems he's throwing the baby out with the bath water and all that.
Yeah, that's going to be a pass for me.
Same.

gundalf

Yeah I don't use these two sites either but I hope for those who do, the new content will be same awesome as back in the day.

SpiceRacz

Great two things I don't use. If he really hates YouTube that much then use Rumble and Odysee. Both a great alternatives and Rumble is quickly getting huge.

Mark was way ahead of the curve for a while. I think most people know this, but Classic Game Room actually started online in 1999. He's lost touch with his audience and kept trying to bounce between different platforms. I don't think millennials on TikTok and Instagram will give a fuck about his videos. Dude is clueless now.

Larsowitz

So, some of you asked what happened to Mark and CGR. I've followed CGR for a long time and this is my understanding of how things went down.

When Mark started CGR, he had advantages over most youtubers of the time. His father owned what I believe was a production company. It gave him access to better equipment and all the things that come along with that. At the time, there were way less youtubers doing his style of game reviews. That paired with his charisma, humor, and decent production, the channel blew up. CGR began making quite a bit of money from the YT channel. Mark hired a team and rented out an office building and giant garage, which you've probably seen in his videos. Once YT began making changes to monetization, the revenue from the channel dropped significantly. He was forced to close down his office and let his team go. I think at this point, he was doing the show from a small storage unit. At some point in all of this, he left YT, then came back. Eventually, he abandoned his YT channel altogether and stopped making gaming videos. Mark changed his mind again, then CGR moved to Amazon and he started a new show. The fanbase hated it. He cancelled it and gave up on gaming videos - again. In the past few years, Mark started using YT again. He changed the name of his YT channel numerous times and the focus of his YT channel changed every time I'd look at it. At one point, he was doing reviews on art pens, comics, action figures, and other nonsense that no one gave a shit about. During this time, Classic Game Room became Classic Game Room Publishing where he sells books that are illustrated with art and photos that are in the public domain. He also draws and sells his own comics. Also worth mentioning, Mark set up a Patreon where backer rewards were very late or never arrived at all. The real nail in the coffin for CGR though and any hope of Mark returning to gaming videos was selling his game collection on Ebay. The worst part about it, fans identified games and hardware they had sent to the show years ago. He didn't reach out to anyone to return any of the donations to the channel. That didn't sit well with a lot of people.

Mark has been called out by his fan base for his shadiness and questionable decisions. He's been pretty shitty with his fans and seems to have no regard for them. It's been sad to see how the CGR channel fell apart and Mark turn on his fan base. You can do a real deep dive on this if you look on the CGR subreddit.
Thanks for this info. Wasn‘t aware that he sold his entire collection on ebay…pretty sad to hear what happened. CGR was my favorite video game show on youtube back then.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
One fun thing:
Classic Game Room started as the same thing, same guys, but in different site and name. Don't really remember, but it really was 2000's internet at max

My favorite video is with Ocarina of Time 3D. In the intro, Mark tries to put the N64 cartridge in the 3DS. So wholesome

Last edited:

gundalf

This dude should have been on Twitch a long time ago.

Yeah I could see him having a good audience, playing his role of a retro 80/90s gamer in his intergalactic space station and all that.
But I personally prefer YouTube content, don't care much about live streams, feels too much like watching television and I don't give a fuck about interactions.

fart town usa

Gold Member
CGR is great. I figured he stopped focusing on games cause during the PS3 gen he'd often remark that they don't really make the types of games he's interested in. Indies do now I'm sure but it can be hard to navigate through everything that's released.

Shame if it's stuck to instagram and tiktok. I ain't watching that shit.

-Zelda-

Banned
Used to be great, but he got weird and changed everything up. Used to be peak youtube, now it's in the grave. Shame, it really was great.

supernova8

Banned
As far as producing reviews, this channel was simultaneoulsy the most prolific and the most useless. Their reviews almost never contained any information germane to the actual gameplay...It was just a bunch of dumb jokes that rarely landed.
Personally that was fine for me. I just wanted to hear someone riff about old and often obscure games. Not like I ever planned on playing them.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
He's back with a new Kickstarter for CGR 2085 Season 2. Crazy ambitious money goal, doubt he'll hit it. -

Planned CGR 2085 SEASON 2 EPISODE LIST!

Here is what I have planned. This is a tentative list of ideas. This is not the final show list, but a sign of the direction that I'll be heading with CGR 2085 Season 2.

Episode List Ideas:

• Truxton 2 (looks like the board was repaired successfully!)
  • Robotron 2084 Arcade Game
  • Operation Wolf Arcade Game
  • Godzilla Pinball
  • Alien Pinball
  • Star Wars Pinball
  • Alien Star Pinball
  • CGR is planning a trip to a special place that makes pinball machines :) They said yes, so we just need to make this!!
  • Gran Turismo 7. This one is a given, I love GT7.
  • Atari 2600 nostalgia. Remember the glory days of wood grain and playing games on the shag carpet? Let's bust out that CRT monitor and revisit a classic collection of Atari 2600 games.
  • Vectrex! I can film the Vectrex like a boss. Let's find some new Vectrex games to review.
  • Atari Jaguar! I was never able to spend much time with the Jaguar on the original series. We should change that.
  • Playstation 5.
  • PS4 roundup. I have a huge collection of sweet games sitting around collecting digital dust.
  • EDF 5. EDF, EDF, EDF!!! Special levels, green ants, space bees, and more. I never made a full review of Earth Defense Force 5 and it's so good.
  • New stuff on Switch?
  • Cities Skyline! Let's build a city and burn it to the ground.
  • More arcade games, more Atari, driving games, etc.... Fund it already so I can plan.
Interesting.
As long as he's doing what he loves (and what we love), go for it.

TheDreadLord

Gold Member
One of my favorite Youtubers at the time that he was active in yt. Quick and entertaining videos. Was a nice way to find out retro games. It was a huge loss.

Last edited:

gundalf

Why that Kickstarter stuff? Just produce the Videos on low budget and reap the ad money from YouTube to produce more content.
Heck he likely already has all the equipment, just need to invest the time.

SpiceRacz

He's back with a new Kickstarter for CGR 2085 Season 2. Crazy ambitious money goal, doubt he'll hit it. -

Mark is wealthy and has the funds to produce this show without Kickstarter. Also, he didn't follow through on his other kickstarter stuff before. Why the fuck would anyone trust him now?

stranno

The funniest moment of CGR was the "yo momma" answer in Seaman review.

I'm happy to see Mark back, but honestly, his time is kinda over. Seriously, what had he archived with the comic and music crap? He screwed a very good channel for nothing.

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
As far as producing reviews, this channel was simultaneoulsy the most prolific and the most useless. Their reviews almost never contained any information germane to the actual gameplay...It was just a bunch of dumb jokes that rarely landed.
Get Out Theatre GIF by Tony Awards

One more episode =)

1m10 is the definition of how CGR is. Humble, and with a lot of effort. I'm very glad that he's back. Never change, Mark

Also, a lot of the OG YouTubers doesn't exist anymore, or just changed too much. It's a shame. I mean, remember when Jimquisition was good? Those were on Screwattack days, man

Top Bottom