• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remember Classic Game Room?

gundalf

Anyone else remember and miss Classic Game Room?

This was the first ever CGR Video I saw and since then I got hooked into it until it all did fall apart:

Such joy and wholesomeness, to this day there is nothing similar on YouTube.
Mark what ever you are doing today, I hope you are happy and well!

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
He got mad at YouTube and quit. Search for the podcast he did with Pat the NES punk.

I see he has changed his channel again, as at one point it was literally titled 80s comics like the video linked site :p

I might have a look, but not too overly fussed in all honesty.

Belthazar

I used to really like their videos for to how funny they were, but tried to watch one recently and the actual review content is pretty bad. They were usually so busy cracking Gamer™ jokes that they forgot to include actual info on the games. It was entertaining, but rather useless

gundalf

I've been meaning to look into what happened to him. Anyone know?

Here is a lengthy and in-depth retrospective (go grab your popcorn):

Despite all that, I have a lot of respect and admiration for the original content that he an Derick produced back then but please, ignore what he is doing today, there is nothing to see.

TheMan

He got mad at YouTube and quit. Search for the podcast he did with Pat the NES punk. It an hour and a half of him seething and saying that his Amazon Prime show was going to fix everything.

Spoiler alert: his Amazon show flopped.
For the lazy

And yeah I really liked CGR and CGR Undertow back in the day. Looked forward to their content. Was sad when Derek made his goodbye video.

Last edited:

dave_d

My only experience with them was them reviewing Virtual On Ontario Tangram on the Dreamcast where it became really obvious that they didn't know how to play the game and they thought it was unplayable without twin-sticks.(No use jump cancel, even I know that.) Didn't watch them after that.

Last edited:

SpiceRacz

So, some of you asked what happened to Mark and CGR. I've followed CGR for a long time and this is my understanding of how things went down.

When Mark started CGR, he had advantages over most youtubers of the time. His father owned what I believe was a production company. It gave him access to better equipment and all the things that come along with that. At the time, there were way less youtubers doing his style of game reviews. That paired with his charisma, humor, and decent production, the channel blew up. CGR began making quite a bit of money from the YT channel. Mark hired a team and rented out an office building and giant garage, which you've probably seen in his videos. Once YT began making changes to monetization, the revenue from the channel dropped significantly. He was forced to close down his office and let his team go. I think at this point, he was doing the show from a small storage unit. At some point in all of this, he left YT, then came back. Eventually, he abandoned his YT channel altogether and stopped making gaming videos. Mark changed his mind again, then CGR moved to Amazon and he started a new show. The fanbase hated it. He cancelled it and gave up on gaming videos - again. In the past few years, Mark started using YT again. He changed the name of his YT channel numerous times and the focus of his YT channel changed every time I'd look at it. At one point, he was doing reviews on art pens, comics, action figures, and other nonsense that no one gave a shit about. During this time, Classic Game Room became Classic Game Room Publishing where he sells books that are illustrated with art and photos that are in the public domain. He also draws and sells his own comics. Also worth mentioning, Mark set up a Patreon where backer rewards were very late or never arrived at all. The real nail in the coffin for CGR though and any hope of Mark returning to gaming videos was selling his game collection on Ebay. The worst part about it, fans identified games and hardware they had sent to the show years ago. He didn't reach out to anyone to return any of the donations to the channel. That didn't sit well with a lot of people.

Mark has been called out by his fan base for his shadiness and questionable decisions. He's been pretty shitty with his fans and seems to have no regard for them. It's been sad to see how the CGR channel fell apart and Mark turn on his fan base. You can do a real deep dive on this if you look on the CGR subreddit.

Last edited:

radewagon

Loved it. Even with the explosion in content, there are still quite a few games out there where the CGR video is still the best content available for them. Sad to hear that things didn't turn out well for the guy. He had a lot of talent.

Last edited:

ranmafan

Was one of the best gaming channels ever on YouTube. I loved his reviewing style and just genuine love of games. No pessimism at all even for games that weren’t the best. I even backed his blu ray Kickstarter project. We need more reviewers like him. Shame the channel died out. Also CGR undertow was great too. Although it’s sad to see Derek from it seems to have had a tough time since the close of the channel based off his Twitter posts over the years

Hestar69

Never liked his content tbh. He reminded me of a friend who really liked playing videogames but only had a surface knowledge about them.

Same deal with Game Shack. Most overrated gaming channel IMO.
Really I love game sack he knows alot about games and the sytems and even does breakdowns of them in stop motion

OT I loved CGM.CGM and old AVGN and game chasers were my fav channels back in the day.

I Master l

Banned
As far as producing reviews, this channel was simultaneoulsy the most prolific and the most useless. Their reviews almost never contained any information germane to the actual gameplay...It was just a bunch of dumb jokes that rarely landed.
While his reviews never had a whole lot of substance, it was really fun to watch someone be enthusiastic and positive about the classic stuff

Last edited:

nkarafo

Really I love game sack he knows alot about games and the sytems and even does breakdowns of them in stop motion
Game Shack only knows about games they care for.

Their N64 video a few years ago was really bad and missinformed, they tried to review a bunch of games they clearly never played for more than 5 minutes. I guess they had to have a video for a system they didn't care for, just for completion?

They are good if you are a Sega fan i guess. Though i don't know how they evolved, i haven't watched them lately.

Last edited:

Hestar69

Their N64 video a few years ago was really bad and missinformed, they tried to review a bunch of games they clearly never played for more than 5 minutes. I guess they had to have a video for a system they didn't care for, just for completion?

They are good if you are a Sega fan i guess. Though i don't know how they evolved, i haven't watched them lately.
I'll have to rewatch that episode but I know game dave is a super nintnedo fan and joe is sega. Dave left to spend more time with family so it's just Joe I still like the episodes.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Here is a lengthy and in-depth retrospective (go grab your popcorn):

Despite all that, I have a lot of respect and admiration for the original content that he an Derick produced back then but please, ignore what he is doing today, there is nothing to see.

Cool. I'll check it out one day.

As for this CGR guy, I've seen some of his videos when randomly googling game stuff and it turns out one his videos show up.

Never thought his content was anything special. It seemed he skewed to old games and he'd chime in with one or two-liner jokes or compliments with his deep voice when he plays the game. His commentary would be kind of sparse. Not very informative, not jokes laden, or anything. Just a guy doing videos with some witty sarcastic jokes here and there.

Then again, I never knew this guy did content so long ago, so maybe those videos are different as I'd watch stuff which looks like was posted 10 years ago. Skimming the video, late in it he's gabbing about Arkonoid holding some dial controller. That old clip he seems so different. Loud, gabbing fast and excited. Much different than the videos I'd see.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I don't know much of the backstory but his impressions and review of games were like anthesis of what you read on message boards, just overly positive on just about everything which made his content equally useless from a critique standpoint, albeit much more entertaining.

Futaleufu

The real nail in the coffin for CGR though and any hope of Mark returning to gaming videos was selling his game collection on Ebay. The worst part about it, fans identified games and hardware they had sent to the show years ago. He didn't reach out to anyone to return any of the donations to the channel. That didn't sit well with a lot of people.
I remember someone from Kuwait sent at least a couple of dozens game to him in the late 00s. That sucks.

You would expect someone that has spent decades and thousands of dollars on japanese games and hardware to at least bother learning katakana to play the games on your collection instead of calling it moonspeak and trying to be funny about it.

Futaleufu

I don't know much of the backstory but his impressions and review of games were like anthesis of what you read on message boards, just overly positive on just about everything which made his content equally useless from a critique standpoint, albeit much more entertaining.

I remember him hating Mario Party

The worst part about it, fans identified games and hardware they had sent to the show years ago. He didn't reach out to anyone to return any of the donations to the channel. That didn't sit well with a lot of people.
I don't think there's anything wrong as such with regards to accepting and profiting from "donations". I mean, when we give donations to charity, we give them off our own free will, and they can do what they like with them.

I've seen charities throw away donations, and waste a needless amount of donated money. It's what's made me wary of donating to charities, because they never value what they get for free.
Although it’s sad to see Derek from it seems to have had a tough time since the close of the channel based off his Twitter posts over the years
What happened to him? I don't have Twitter so haven't been following him.

ranmafan

For a while he posted many messages about his struggles and depression. I hadn’t seen him tweet in a while and just checked and seems all his old tweets have been deleted . I’m hoping he’s doing better these days. Wish he could’ve continued the show outside cgr.

Last edited:

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Yeah, CGR was always one of my favorites. Miss that channel. I sometimes listen to his podcast now about his adventures in publishing.

SpiceRacz

I don't think there's anything wrong as such with regards to accepting and profiting from "donations". I mean, when we give donations to charity, we give them off our own free will, and they can do what they like with them.

I've seen charities throw away donations, and waste a needless amount of donated money. It's what's made me wary of donating to charities, because they never value what they get for free.

I have an issue with it for a couple reasons. Mark at one point said he never sells the donations. Also, Mark is well off and doesn't need the money. His dad is a multimillionaire. I understand your point though. You can't always put a stipulation on a gift or donation. However, some of the stuff that was donated was valuable/rare and I think he owed it to his fans to at least try to return the more expensive items.

wvnative

So, some of you asked what happened to Mark and CGR. I've followed CGR for a long time and this is my understanding of how things went down.

When Mark started CGR, he had advantages over most youtubers of the time. His father owned what I believe was a production company. It gave him access to better equipment and all the things that come along with that. At the time, there were way less youtubers doing his style of game reviews. That paired with his charisma, humor, and decent production, the channel blew up. CGR began making quite a bit of money from the YT channel. Mark hired a team and rented out an office building and giant garage, which you've probably seen in his videos. Once YT began making changes to monetization, the revenue from the channel dropped significantly. He was forced to close down his office and let his team go. I think at this point, he was doing the show from a small storage unit. At some point in all of this, he left YT, then came back. Eventually, he abandoned his YT channel altogether and stopped making gaming videos. Mark changed his mind again, then CGR moved to Amazon and he started a new show. The fanbase hated it. He cancelled it and gave up on gaming videos - again. In the past few years, Mark started using YT again. He changed the name of his YT channel numerous times and the focus of his YT channel changed every time I'd look at it. At one point, he was doing reviews on art pens, comics, action figures, and other nonsense that no one gave a shit about. During this time, Classic Game Room became Classic Game Room Publishing where he sells books that are illustrated with art and photos that are in the public domain. He also draws and sells his own comics. Also worth mentioning, Mark set up a Patreon where backer rewards were very late or never arrived at all. The real nail in the coffin for CGR though and any hope of Mark returning to gaming videos was selling his game collection on Ebay. The worst part about it, fans identified games and hardware they had sent to the show years ago. He didn't reach out to anyone to return any of the donations to the channel. That didn't sit well with a lot of people.

Mark has been called out by his fan base for his shadiness and questionable decisions. He's been pretty shitty with his fans and seems to have no regard for them. It's been sad to see how the CGR channel fell apart and Mark turn on his fan base. You can do a real deep dive on this if you look on the CGR subreddit.

Wow

I had followed CGR up to the point he moved to Amazon after youtube changed their shit, then I just didn't bother. I browse youtube a lot and really didn't care to switch to Prime just to see when there was new CGR content so I bailed. Never heard what happened after that but always missed him.

I always loved him though, just a guy who loved classic games drinking beer and talking about them, sure they weren't super in depth or anything, but loved the vibe. He always seemed like a genuine chill guy and I even remember him making a YT video near the end thanking everyone for support and he seemed genuinely grateful.

That story has completely broken my heart. I never in a million years ever imagined him basically turning on the fans, and selling his whole game collection? Wtf? Did he snap or something?

I also watched the spin off show with Derak, is he still around? Has he commented on any of this?

Bakkus

Never liked his content tbh. He reminded me of a friend who really liked playing videogames but only had a surface knowledge about them.

Same deal with Game Shack. Most overrated gaming channel IMO.
I agree. GameSack was however decent before Dave had to leave to focus on his family. I was subscribed to CGR for a while, but eventually grew tired because I could see that the reviews were more like first impressions due to all the gameplay footage being from the very beginning of every game. Another tell about people only having surface knowledge about games is the amount of times they use the word 'fun' in their reviews. Both of those were and are big offenders there.

I still watch some of his older videos for stuff like GTA for those awesome gameplay+music montages he used to do. A lot of them are still up unbutchered on Dailymotion.

Last edited:
Top Bottom