• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remedy's next game will be the free-to-play Vanguard

CAB_Life

I would be tickled pink if they did something akin to Funcom's The Secret World. I feel this is one company that could nail the narrative and gameplay aspects without Funcom's added incompetence and bullshit. Vanguard...against what? Aliens, demons, mystical forces? I'm likely mentally masturbating here, but you never know.

why would i give fuck about kids and teens ? don't they have parents that should be responsible for them

weak excuses
U realise that f2p would not exist if they were not able to manipulate kids and teens, why else do u think goverments around the world are unwilling to do anything about it, there is just too much money too lose.

Free to play is the most sensible business model for online multiplayer.
Both Crytek and Epic saw this coming in the late 2010s. They saw how games on Facebook had player numbers that were astronomical compared to "normal" PC and console games. F2P also handily obliterated piracy.

If you want 200+ million people playing your game instead of a paltry 1-10 million, you make it free to play. And you make a mobile version. Destroy the barrier to entry. That's why Crytek are making Hunt: Mobile, which is coming next year, and targeting the Chinese market. And the next two Crysis games are a premium VR title in 2021, because VR audiences will pay for games. They already bought a headset. Money isn't really a barrier. But the next "big" Crysis title is an F2P MP title, coming in 2022. The model they're taking with Hunt is kinda like PUGB. Premium PC/console version paired with F2P mobile version. That way you get the sustained revenue of people buying the game, but the viral spread and extremely high playerbase ceiling of an F2P mobile title.

Remedy's next game is technically Crossfire X. Which pairs multiplayer (by SmileGate) that is free on Game Pass with a singleplayer campaign that you have to pay for, by Remedy. Game Pass and similar subscription services have muddied the water a bit because they heavily reduce the barrier to entry, but aren't technically free.

Last edited:
Free to play with mandatory and overpriced microtransactions, season passes and DLC? I’ll pass. Hopefully Remedy will still make epic single player experiences because if this is their new direction, I’m moving on.

Last edited:

MrS

Banned
Control bombed and this is why we can't have nice things. Fuck this f2p malarkey. Stay in your lane, Remedy.

Last edited:
They're working on a few different games.

Crossfire X campaign for SmileGate.
Vanguard.
2 games for Epic, but one is smaller than the other, so potentially something like an Alan Wake remaster and a sequel.
Good to know. Are Epic funding and publishing the 2 games or they are just giving some money for epic exclusivity?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Yes. Always happy to pay for quality. Don't want to be playing with f2p guttersnipes.

F2P is superior to $60 dollar games for two reasons.

1. I keep my money.

2. F2P gives developers more creative freedom.

Death to the traditional payment model.

Control bombed and this is why we can't have nice things. Fuck this f2p malarkey. Stay in your lane, Remedy.

I think Control sold 2 million units which Remedy seems quite satisfied with. Even if it sold 20,000 units, I really don’t want to see them go into a F2P direction because I really enjoy their single player experiences. Hopefully, they will still create single player games in the future.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrS

Astorian

Good to know. Are Epic funding and publishing the 2 games or they are just giving some money for epic exclusivity?
Publishing.
Funding too.

Additionally, Remedy offered more info on their Epic Games project. We don't even have a name for this project yet, but what we do know is that the new joint venture between Remedy and Epic is fully funded by the latter company. Remedy will retain ownership of the IP, however, and it's a game that will be coming to both consoles and PC.

Top Bottom