• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remedy's next game will be the free-to-play Vanguard

Astorian

Earlier today in an investor’s call. Remedy revealed several new details about Vanguard. Chiefly, the game is a free-to-play multiplayer live-service game, but Remedy's signature world building and narrative focus will still be very much a part of the project. Although the project is still very early in development, the first testing phases for the game have received positive feedback.

Additionally, Remedy offered more info on their Epic Games project. We don't even have a name for this project yet, but what we do know is that the new joint venture between Remedy and Epic is fully funded by the latter company. Remedy will retain ownership of the IP, however, and it's a game that will be coming to both consoles and PC.

https://www.gamesradar.com/remedys-next-game-will-be-the-free-to-play-vanguard/

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Is this the one we're not supposed to react well to?

EDIT: oh, that's The Initiative

Last edited:

.Pennywise

Banned
I like how people automatically associate free to play with gargabe. When in reality a lot of full price games are still garbage and full of microtransactions anyway.

A free to play game can still be awesome (exhibit Apex, Dota 2, Path of Exile, etc). While a full price game can still be garbage.

AND ALSO, you can get awesome full price games, and awful free to play games.

Stop making these stupid associations just because.

I like how people automatically associate free to play with gargabe. When in reality a lot of full price games are still garbage and full of microtransactions anyway.

A free to play game can still be awesome (exhibit Apex, Dota 2, Path of Exile, etc). While a full price game can still be garbage.

AND ALSO, you can get awesome full price games, and awful free to play games.

Stop making these stupid associations just because.

Dont care if f2p games are good, manipulating vulnerable kids and teens is disgusting no matter how good ur game is.

Karunamon

All of this "free to play" multiplayer crap is going to evolve into a mess for gamers, but win for industry.

Microtransactions, season passes, etc -- nonstop bullshit. All of these games are already the same junk with different skins.

The fad will pass. Eventually people will tire of samey live service games. All it takes is a few more Anthems before burnout sets in.

Remember when every single game had a zombies mode? That passed. Remember when every game had a battle Royale mode? We're on the tail end of that.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I like F2P games. To date, I've yet to spend a cent on em but for some reason people always cry about "BUT THINK ABOUT PEOPLE BEING TEMPTED". Imagine if you couldn't have something that isn't harming anyone because it might appear tempting to some people. Fuck freedom of choice think about the children!

paypay88

Banned
All of this "free to play" multiplayer crap is going to evolve into a mess for gamers, but win for industry.

Microtransactions, season passes, etc -- nonstop bullshit. All of these games are already the same junk with different skins.
how is it mess for me when i get to play high quality games for free?

speak for yourself

Ugh. Free-to-play needs to die.
lol no , if you want to pay 70$ then go ahead nobody stopping you to pay that amount for CoD each year.

Last edited:

Cravis

Uh oh. Free to play?

Remedy we still need the Alan Wake sequel.

u9OApVI.jpg

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Whales do , most sensible people don't. Why you cry while you get to play games as free and whales pay for company to suck them.

Literally why
Idk I never pay for shit lol.

why would i give fuck about kids and teens ? don't they have parents that should be responsible for them

weak excuses

Are you really fighting for the free-to-play business model? Where you either get a fraction of the true game or pay absurdly high prices and are STILL constantly asked for MORE?

I guess you're name makes sense.

"Free"-to-play sucks.

Last edited:
Did anyone else see this and think Remedy was working on a remake of Vanguard: Saga of Heroes, and get hyped?

I'm probably the only one.

I hope they have millions of dollars for advertising then because that market is fully saturated and you need to get players from one of existing service games.

Fbh

How are they doing financially?
Hopefully they have enough money to survive this game failing.

wolywood

I'm playing through Alan Wake for the first time and.....ehhh. Like with all Remedy games the atmosphere and world building is excellent, but the gameplay consists of "run through dark scary woods, shine flashlight and/or fire pistol at dark scary bullet sponge monsters, rinse, repeat". Hopefully the sequel will be less repetitive feeling.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Alan Wake: Didn't sell great, but let's try another SP game

Quantum Break: Didn't sell great, but let's try another SP game

Control: Didn't sell great, but this time let's try a F2P MP game

F2P game: Holy shit. The microtrans money is insane. Buh buy SP games going forward

Last edited:

YuLY

Add me to the list of people that are sad about where Remedy is heading. This aint the only thing, they also had that crossfire? campaign, which who knows if its legit an SP campaign or it ties to their multiplayer bs.

Like people have mentioned, to go from Max Payne to this? I would take even Alan Wake over this. I understand they are independent and its though to stay afloat, but man...Honestly though are they expecting people to just jump on yet another multiplayer game? I imagine Square hoped that for Avengers also, and look how that turned out.

If they had we’d be getting Alan Wake 2 instead of this shit.
As of last year, Remedy fully acquired the rights to Alan Wake from Microsoft.

I think they are still going to develop single-player games, including Alan Wake 2 or Control 2 or whatever for their Remedy Connected Universe.

Last edited:

tichamac

Banned
This seems to be is a "we're going to do a thing" with no specifics on the thing. Anything about what the gameplay might be?

Top Bottom