• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remedy provides updates on Control 2 and Max Payne remake

SCB3

McAffrey IS Max Payne to me, both in voice and in face and I hope he is the default in this remake.

Using Sam Lake is just.. weird. He’s way too much of a public figure in the industry nowadays. It’s already borderline immersion-breaking in Alan Wake 2. It would be like playing MGS with a character that looks like Kojima.
Yea I agree Sam Lake "Works" in Control and Alan Wake as he is the Writer for the series and a literal self insert, its a meta thing for him there

What I don't understand is how Max Payne is supposed to connect to that whole "Remedy-verse" they've been linking up, unless I'm remembering Max Payne, it was about a cop getting revenge on his family's killers

Filben

The game just has you sit behind cover for most of the time, peeking out to take a shot now and again.
The beautiful thing is you don't have to play it like that. They did right by adding painkillers instead of auto heal to the game so you can be aggressive and don't need to rely on cover to heal, breaking the flow. If you do this this is a choice by the player. There are other examples where the gameplay is build around the cover system (Gears, The Division, etc.). MP3 plays vastly different.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Using Sam Lake is just.. weird.
What? Hell NO!

He IS the damn face of Max Payne ffs!

wp79jcK.jpg

Can't believe I'm even reading this

o5cnMk4.gif

SimTourist

The game just has you sit behind cover for most of the time, peeking out to take a shot now and again.
It is one of the primary examples of that shooter design prevalent at the time where the game replaces real action with "hide & seek", which is of course more realistic in a military sense, but also way less fun and badass than MP1+2's "jump into the room full of bad guys and kill them before they kill you in bullet time".
In MP3, you still have the bullet time, but you use it to jump from one cover to the next.

I think it is better than other contemporary games in that, but it has little to do with what made Max Payne Max Payne, both in gameplay and style.
Whatever you think of the game on its own merits, as a direct sequel it just fails.
Bro, I don't know how to tell you this, but you played the game the wrong way.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
Bro, I don't know how to tell you this, but you played the game the wrong way.
Did I?
I mean, it's been many years, so it is possible.
But when I look at any gameplay of the game, it's not quite as bad as I remember it, but large amounts of time are spent in cover anyway, popping heads out of cover.
Sure, there's some bullet time diving, but then it's right back to the cover & pop.
Not as bad as I remember it, but still quite a far cry from MP1&2.

If that is "the wrong way" to play MP3, then the devs sure did a good job luring you into that way to play with the convenient covers everywhere and Max automatically snapping to them...

Last edited:

mdkirby

Damn, sounds like control2 is quite a ways away....unrelated, but does anyone else think that Keanu Reeves would be a perfect Alan Wake if they ever do a live adaptation? Looks very similar and even his voice and delivery are very similar...
Qlruy8W.png
AMaycpE.png
c6zDlBK.png
Wa2vg1t.png

MMaRsu

Banned
It is one of the primary examples of that shooter design prevalent at the time where the game replaces real action with "hide & seek", which is of course more realistic in a military sense, but also way less fun and badass than MP1+2's "jump into the room full of bad guys and kill them before they kill you in bullet time".
In MP3, you still have the bullet time, but you use it to jump from one cover to the next.

Sorry but it sounds like your terrible at the game.

Dont ever use cover in Max Payne 3, its not needed.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
Sorry but it sounds like your terrible at the game.

Dont ever use cover in Max Payne 3, its not needed.
Did I?
But when I look at any gameplay of the game, it's not quite as bad as I remember it, but large amounts of time are spent in cover anyway, popping heads out of cover.
Sure, there's some bullet time diving, but then it's right back to the cover & pop.

If that is "the wrong way" to play MP3, then the devs sure did a good job luring you into that way to play with the convenient covers everywhere and Max automatically snapping to them...

"Pro tips" are kind of irrelevant here, don't you think?
Considering how short the game is (a third of which is cutscenes, another issue of the game) and what I wrote above, most people's experiences are probably going to be much closer to what I remember than what someone with who knows how much time in the game can do.

I mean, great that you could play it like that, but the game's own level design and Max' snapping to corners and covers clearly pushes you in another direction.
In that very video you posted, such a playstyle seems possible only by rolling around like Kirby half of the time, which ends up looking involuntarily funny.

Anyway, that discussion is quite the tangent, the main point was never that MP3 would be a bad game, but that it is a bad Max Payne game, inheriting next to nothing that made MP1+2 the classics they are.
Hint: It's not just bullet time.
What MP3 did was take the name of the character and the voice of the character and put him in a pretty standard shooter experience. That's not what I want from a sequel and not what I hope the remakes will do.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Did I?

If you stay undercover all the time enemies massacre you in most of the cases when the more aggressive enemies start to appear.

The brazilian goons and the mobsters are passive but some other enemies come at you and flank you.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
Considering how short the game is (a third of which is cutscenes, another issue of the game) and what I wrote above, most people's experiences are probably going to be much closer to what I remember than what someone with who knows how much time in the game can do.

I mean, great that you could play it like that, but the game's own level design and Max' snapping to corners and covers clearly pushes you in another direction.
In that very video you posted, such a playstyle seems possible only by rolling around like Kirby half of the time, which ends up looking involuntarily funny.

Anyway, that discussion is quite the tangent, the main point was never that MP3 would be a bad game, but that it is a bad Max Payne game, inheriting next to nothing that made MP1+2 the classics they are.
What MP3 did was take the name of the character and the voice of the character and put him in a pretty standard shooter experience. That's not what I want from a sequel and not what I hope the remakes will do.

The last part of your post I absolutely agree with, the writing is trash and the story is garbo too

Tried to much to be like Man on Fire too with the flashing shit constantly.

Control is gonna be a tough game to make a sequel to, the entire thing that made it interesting was it's setting, you couldn't just do that again, so where do you set it?

I'm also curious as to whether the Max Payne remakes will be early 2000s period pieces or update them to be set in present day.

Can't wait to see what Sweet Baby has in store for the remake.
My pronouns were they/them, funny as hell, it was the most horrible thing I could think of.

I could see them throwing in some dig at Trump since it's NYC, Max sees Trump tower and says "and I thought Aesir was bad!"

McAffrey IS Max Payne to me, both in voice and in face and I hope he is the default in this remake.

Using Sam Lake is just.. weird. He’s way too much of a public figure in the industry nowadays. It’s already borderline immersion-breaking in Alan Wake 2. It would be like playing MGS with a character that looks like Kojima.
'borderline immersion-breaking'?! really?! his performance basically dwarfed that of his own 2 protagonists, & he successfully chewed up the fucking scenery in his every appearance in his own game...

some of you folks are just too kind...

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I’m excited for all 3 games.

Never played MP games so this is gonna be a big win for me.

Control is a day one deluxe edition. Control is a top 10 games ever made kind of game. Some of the most fun to be had, and the ash tray maze is legendary like in AW2 “We Sing” is legendary.

Remedy is a day one no questions asked buy for me just like from soft. They don’t miss.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Control is gonna be a tough game to make a sequel to, the entire thing that made it interesting was it's setting, you couldn't just do that again, so where do you set it?

I'm also curious as to whether the Max Payne remakes will be early 2000s period pieces or update them to be set in present day.

My pronouns were they/them, funny as hell, it was the most horrible thing I could think of.

I could see them throwing in some dig at Trump since it's NYC, Max sees Trump tower and says "and I thought Aesir was bad!"

Control 1 doesn’t even take advantage of its story concept and lore in Control 1. Since its cross dimensional /other realities, they could easily have Jesse go to far out trippy worlds to create insane levels akin to Ashtray Maze shenanigans.

Hell the two biggest complaints in that game are some dull level design , and fighting the same enemies on repeat. Fixing those two things would create a monster of a sequel. It’s easy to expand on weapons , visuals , and create another interesting narrative to one up the sequel.

It definitely needs a sequel to tie into AW more directly than just the dlc. I’d love a Jesse and Alan team up.

Puscifer

I think it is better than other contemporary games in that, but it has little to do with what made Max Payne Max Payne, both in gameplay and style.
Whatever you think of the game on its own merits, as a direct sequel it just fails.
Honestly as much as I loved MP 3 I refuse to take the glowing praise without anything but a grain of salt. People should replay it and see how many sections are so broken that the only way to finish many of them is to kill yourself, max (lol pun) out on pills and then move to the next section. There's so many of what should be amazing moments ruined by the busted balancing

Dazraell

Can't believe they are extending Control but not Quantum Break.
Benefit of actually owning an IP. Remedy has rights to Control and Alan Wake, while MS owns rights to Quantum Break IP. Seems Microsoft isn't interested in expanding it, which is a shame as the original game was definitely underrated

Control 1 doesn’t even take advantage of its story concept and lore in Control 1. Since its cross dimensional /other realities, they could easily have Jesse go to far out trippy worlds to create insane levels akin to Ashtray Maze shenanigans.

Hell the two biggest complaints in that game are some dull level design , and fighting the same enemies on repeat. Fixing those two things would create a monster of a sequel. It’s easy to expand on weapons , visuals , and create another interesting narrative to one up the sequel.

It definitely needs a sequel to tie into AW more directly than just the dlc. I’d love a Jesse and Alan team up.

I'm pretty sure they're building towards that meeting. As for the sequel, I think they could achieve what you mentioned through using a trope of having Control bureau exploring an AWE event. They could tie it to Dylan and / or Darling, bring some backstory that some of the agents were sent to check this AWE in the past and this could be a good entry point to address the common complaints brought over the first game

I personally think that repeated environments and same enemies were an unfortunate side effect of having a smaller budget. 505 Games probably didn't gave them the same level of funding as Epic for Alan Wake 2 or Rockstar for Max Payne Remake

Not really, man.

It lends you the option, but more than often encourages and sets up scenarios to do some epic shootouts. Just because it has a cover system doesn't mean that should be your primary course of action. You could do some silly stunts in MP1 and MP2 too, so I dunno why you hold that as a negative towards the game. I can understand your critique about the appearence of Max though. Then again, his appearence did change from MP1 to MP2.

Last edited:

WitchHunter

Banned

Average people have zero idea who the hell is Sam Lake. You are in your own bubble.

Top Bottom