• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie Fils-Aimé Quits GameStop Board of Directors After Just One Year

Bullet Club

Reggie Fils-Aimé Quits GameStop Board of Directors After Just One Year​

A whistle-stop retail tour of duty.

Reggie Fils-Aimé has retired from GameStop's board of directors, just one year after he joined the company.

Fils-Aimé is one of eight directors who are set to retire from the board at GameStop's 2021 Annual Meeting. The remaining board members will largely be made up of directors relatively new to the board, with many of the company's more established directors leaving along with Fils-Aimé.

Best known as the former Nintendo of America president, Fils-Aimé joined the GameStop board of directors in March 2020. He joined the board at the same time both as veteran retail business executive Bill Simon and PetSmart CEO J.K. Symancyk as part of a company reshuffle. All three of them will formally quit the company at the GameStop 2021 Annual Meeting.

This won't be the first big shake-up for GameStop this year; a year-long management tussle at the retailer put a new group of investors in charge with big plans for change, and the latest earnings call suggested change is brewing, if slowly. And, of course, there was also the Reddit-fuelled stock surge earlier this year.

Source: IGN

DonJorginho

Banned
Man cashed in his Gamestop stocks whilst they were high.

Once a legend, always a legend.
532.gif

Last edited:

Rat Rage

Everybody saw that comming. They probably offered him some stupid money, and he probably said "fuck it, ok, I take the money".

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Reggie is a guy you barely know and have to google but know is next level GameStop just has to bring in consoles and games this pandemic we found out gamer gear (t shirt, collectibles (things game stop raved about)) don’t sell and is bottom bin trash.

Buggy Loop

Yeah... not to shit on the man, but GameStop will have to be a lot more proactive than Nintendo to steer the ship in a new direction. Ryan Cohen is on the way to almost change the whole GameStop board with members of RC Ventures LLC.

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
"Guess there's no way I can help them. Time to cash out my stocks and bounce."

Really though, oof. That sounds not great for them, lol.

Nester99

I don’t understand how they hope to pivot to online.

Used games and trades is why they exist. I don’t see how they do that online - sell yes- buy no.

Without used they are just trying to compete with Amazon Best Buy and Walmart in a space those 3 already dominate.

Why would a consumer buy a new ps5 online from GameStop over the other 3?

saintjules

As for why Fils-Aime eventually left GameStop's board of directors, he said it came down to Cohen and other management not wanting to listen to his advice, despite Fils-Aime being being an industry veteran and one of the most experienced business executives in gaming on the planet.

"The issue was that as the strategy was beginning to be developed, I asked to be part of the team to develop the strategy. I knew the business. I knew it as a consumer, I knew it as a vendor; I had pretty strong opinions on how the business needed to be pivoted. But I was rebuffed," Fils-Aime said. "The perspective was, 'Reggie, we want to keep the team small... so it's going to be myself [Cohen] and a few of the people I brought on board.'"

Fils-Aime flat-out said Cohen and the team around him "don't know this business; don't understand the players. Fils-Aimé said. “I took that as code as thank you but we really don’t want any other ideas and for me that was not acceptable.”

Last edited:

Lynkk

Neo Member
This guy is so over-rated. The little bitch of Nintendo Japan. He did not kick any asses with the GameCube, the Wii U or even the first Wii who had basically no games. When Nintendo of America was in trouble, they assigned a Japanese instead of him, opening the door to the his retirement.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
This guy is so over-rated. The little bitch of Nintendo Japan. He did not kick any asses with the GameCube, the Wii U or even the first Wii who had basically no games. When Nintendo of America was in trouble, they assigned a Japanese instead of him, opening the door to the his retirement.
While not "revolutionary", he was definitely one of the most entertaining "video game speakers", can you honestly name people whom left a better impression in this industry? Aside from the late President Iwata, I can't really think of any but reggie. *shrugs*

To be fair NOA has very little power but Reggie took Nintendo from last place with the GameCube to first place with the Wii and DS. I'd say that counts as "kicking ass"

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
To be fair NOA has very little power but Reggie took Nintendo from last place with the GameCube to first place with the Wii and DS. I'd say that counts as "kicking ass"
If NOA has no power, how can you credit him with anything?

Lognor

Banned
Being on a board is such an easy pay check. I probably would have stayed on and just collected that check doing absolutely nothing

You have to be weapons-grade stupid to bring the former PRESIDENT OF FUCKING NINTENDO on board and then NOT involve him with strategic decision making.

He was right to bail.

But that's exactly what Nintendo did with him.
Reggie apparently has a new book coming out in the next few months as well... It should be interesting... Although I'm not sure if there will be a lot of business advice that one could learn from him - especially as he didn't formulate Nintendo Of Japan's strategy, and was merely a mouthpiece for Western audiences.

Top Bottom