• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RedLetterMedia |OT| Is This OT Replacing the Other OT?

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Why haven't they reviewed The Batman? It's really a bit odd.

As much as I love these guys, I have to confess that something has been slipping increasingly for a long time in their reviews.

First, Plinkett (and even Plinkett-like concept videos like they used to make between big reviews) is nearly non-existent now, so we're left with only Half in the Bag. I like that show, but it's increasingly like their first-draft reactions after leaving a theater and doesn't offer much in the majority of cases. Second, too much Marvel trash. It's kind of bizarre to me how many reviews they continue to waste on it, and often Mike's soul seems to have shrunk a bit because he has lost his older mental defenses against that crap, seems content to just laugh and then sit bored through the CGI but still not tear the films down. I wouldn't mind at all if they didn't review The Batman because of stepping back from comic book nonsense (that would be good), but... they're not, in fact they waste our time talking about all the absolute worst, mindless ones out there. I'm not even sure that the kind of contempt for Disney-ified entertainment that they showed in Nerd Crew is still there in them. I don't know, they just seem tired and less interesting to me every time actually take time to watch them again.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch

As much as I love these guys, I have to confess that something has been slipping increasingly for a long time in their reviews.

First, Plinkett (and even Plinkett-like concept videos like they used to make between big reviews) is nearly non-existent now, so we're left with only Half in the Bag. I like that show, but it's increasingly like their first-draft reactions after leaving a theater and doesn't offer much in the majority of cases. Second, too much Marvel trash. It's kind of bizarre to me how many reviews they continue to waste on it, and often Mike's soul seems to have shrunk a bit because he has lost his older mental defenses against that crap, seems content to just laugh and then sit bored through the CGI but still not tear the films down. I wouldn't mind at all if they didn't review The Batman because of stepping back from comic book nonsense (that would be good), but... they're not, in fact they waste our time talking about all the absolute worst, mindless ones out there. I'm not even sure that the kind of contempt for Disney-ified entertainment that they showed in Nerd Crew is still there in them. I don't know, they just seem tired and less interesting to me every time actually take time to watch them again.
They've stated a few times they simply have no interest in the Batman and now it's a bit a running gag. Maybe they will at some point. I can't really blame them. It's yet another Batman movie played by yet another Batman.

They seem to be treating Batman as they did with the Nolan movies like Dunkirk and Tenent where it was highly requested but they couldn't be bothered for whatever reason (Be it lack of interest, trolling or whatever). Maybe it'll show up in one of their movie atch-up videos or something.

I do think they've become partially checked out when it comes to their Half in the Bag content. I understand the lack of enthusiasm for current mainstream content but when they do their "The movie was fine. I'm very tired" style review it can get old. Though they do at least come alive when something is bad enough they feel offended. Jay generally seems ok but I do worry about Mike becoming increasingly burnt out and it's clear Rich is completely out to lunch and doesn't want to do it anymore, which is a shame.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

That's why they haven't reviewed The Batman.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
To be clear, my issue is that they almost seem more drawn to total schlock (99% of comic book and other fantasy films) than to trying to review the few cases which might rise slightly above the schlock. And I never minded their love of bad movies, but only because there was a certain bite to their reactions. It's very sad to see them sort of shrug and enjoy anything to come out of braindead Disney, for instance.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
The Good, The Bad and The Ugly re:View

I remember watching spaghetti westerns on repeat when I was a kid, and TG, TB, & TU is every bit as good as they’re saying it is on this vid. Hell, all of Eastwood’s movies are. Truly great cinema.

If you haven’t seen it, get the biggest TV you can and watch it. It’s quite phenomenal.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I remember watching spaghetti westerns on repeat when I was a kid, and TG, TB, & TU is every bit as good as they’re saying it is on this vid. Hell, all of Eastwood’s movies are. Truly great cinema.

If you haven’t seen it, get the biggest TV you can and watch it. It’s quite phenomenal.
I'm tempted by that 4k set. Looks amazing. I've never seen these and I do love me some Clint.

dr_octagon

Banned
I didn't realize shooting night scenes during day was in this movie.

I think the Dark Knight did the same during the China extraction scene but it looked decent.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE

Can't wait!

Great HITB ep. Loved it per usual. From those 3 I've only watched Top Gun and expect for some dragging moments I really liked it a lot. The action scenes were so awesome and Cruise is as well. Great casting all in all.

Love the old man skit <3

Rewatched a 6 year old Plinketto yesterday as well. =)

Last edited:
Creepshow actually traumatized me. When I was a kid I was deathly afraid of cockroaches and I never knew why. A few years ago I finally rewatched it, and when I got to this scene it finally hit me... the source of my childhood fear lol

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Not overly fond of Josh but I've never seen Creepshow.

Revolutionary Revolutionary sorry to hear. I have the same with Jaws but that trauma was easily explained lol. Oh and that ear worm scene in that one Star Trek movie. The wrath of Kan perhaps?

The Milwaukee guys talk about a very special Milwaukee story

I don't understand the backlash about the LGBT tag. I only watched the first episode and a significant part of the episode took place in a gay club and/or Dahmer's apartment where he, a gay man, was coercing another gay man into doing weird and sexual things. Seems apt to include the tag, but I guess it doesn't count because he's an evil person? Hmm...

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
vwhZB3G.jpg

Personally, I love Creepshow 2. The Raft is a classic at this point.

Anyway, I'm expecting them to do a double feature Half in the Bag on Hellraiser and Halloween Ends. Halloween Ends was surprisingly interesting, especially considering how awful the previous one was. As for Hellraiser... it was just another post-Hellbound sequel.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Speaking of Creepshow has anyone watched the series? I've seen a few episodes. It's not bad. A little on the cheap side. The creep looks like shit. At least in the first season. Enjoyable enough though. A few character actor stars you would recognize. Adrian Barbeau is in one of the first episodes.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Speaking of Creepshow has anyone watched the series? I've seen a few episodes. It's not bad. A little on the cheap side. The creep looks like shit. At least in the first season. Enjoyable enough though. A few character actor stars you would recognize. Adrian Barbeau is in one of the first episodes.
I watched the first season, yeah. Very campy, but weren't these types of series always?

Have not seen beyond that season.

Karma Jawa

I liked the doll's house one a lot.

It was entertaining enough. Certainly better than the recent Twilight Zone.

I'm coming from a similar place as them regarding the Halloween series where I like a couple but for the most part it's just a bunch of crap; so I was on board with the movie despite the Raiden-style bait & switch and was enjoying myself. Though where I differ from them:
They say the ending with Michael and Laurie is tacked on (I agree) but they were still ok with the movie despite that. For me that whole thing killed the movie since it uncermeoniously threw out the entire story they'd been building in favor of what felt like the ending to the original script. Had they gone through with what the movie seemed to be leading to, I would have liked it. But to just throw it all out with no payoff, made me feel like they wasted my time.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member

Was expecting Hellraiser as well. Guess they'll leave it for a wrap-up episode.

This review is a classic case of giving a movie too much credit, simply because it does something unexpected. Ends is terrible. Conceptually it has good ideas, but the execution is woeful.

Last edited:

Power Pro

I'm coming from a similar place as them regarding the Halloween series where I like a couple but for the most part it's just a bunch of crap; so I was on board with the movie despite the Raiden-style bait & switch and was enjoying myself. Though where I differ from them:
They say the ending with Michael and Laurie is tacked on (I agree) but they were still ok with the movie despite that. For me that whole thing killed the movie since it uncermeoniously threw out the entire story they'd been building in favor of what felt like the ending to the original script. Had they gone through with what the movie seemed to be leading to, I would have liked it. But to just throw it all out with no payoff, made me feel like they wasted my time.

This review is a classic case of giving a movie too much credit, simply because it does something unexpected. Ends is terrible. Conceptually it has good ideas, but the execution is woeful.

Agreed to both posts. I thought the movie could have been a good movie if they screenwriters didn't screw up their job still.

As terrible as Halloween Kills was, it at least carried on the 2018 movie coherently, and it feels like it never had a proper conclusion because of how this one was handled. There were much better ways to have written this script. I think it should have started with a conclusion to a Laurie vs Micheal stand off, where something similar happens at the end of the movie but still on the same night as the first two. They kill him off for good, then we get introduced to Cory. Maybe Cory is one of the mob people, or is still just a babysitter who's watching a kid while the madness is going on, and accidentally kills a kid during the hunt for Myers, which still leads to the treatment he gets in the movie. With Myers dead at the beginning of the movie, Laurie finally moving on feels a little more earn and justified? It felt so out of character what they have her doing for the first 30-40 minutes. She lived 40 years while Myers was locked up being scared he would return, yet when he disappeared and is known to still be alive out there, she becomes well adjusted? I don't think so.

Anyway, Cory's story could have been fine, but the way they went about it, and the flaws it has still make it a pretty bad movie. As a separate movie, with new characters it might have been able to work, but since we knew Allison from the last 2, seeing her in this one makes it seem like she's a fucking idiot. At first she seems smart and well adjusted, but because she has the hots for Cory, she ignores the obvious signs that there's something wrong with him. Not believable for someone who went through the trauma she did. And yeah, keeping Myers alive til the very end leads to us getting a very tacked on ending with him that isn't earned, and feels out of place in Cory's movie. He didn't need to find Myers himself in the sewer to start going on his own killing rampage, he could have found Myers' mask or something when the kid knocked him off the bridge, and he still could have gotten jumped by the homeless man and kills him which was was more the catalyst for him becoming a killer more than Myers himself was. The idea of Myers and Cory being the same, or it being any kind of passing the torch story never felt right to me, because they weren't the same. They were both killers, but Cory killed with motivation, Myers' didn't.

So yeah, I like many others have loved watching Mike and Jay over the years, but I had a feeling they would be way more positive on this than it has any right to be. It's started to feel like they started the whole nitpick movies thing, but now they feel like they need to go against the consensus to stay relevant or something. A good idea that still didn't translate to a good script, or a good movie is still a bad movie. This had so many problems that I still didn't enjoy my time with it, even if some of the kills were pretty cool.

Last edited:
Top Bottom