• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recompile - Xbox Series X and PS5 Announcement

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Explore. Fight. Hack. Awaken. Prepare for system-wide reconfiguration when Recompile launches on Xbox Series X and PS5. Watch this brand new next-gen trailer featuring a collaboration with Grammy Award winning artist Aoife O'Donovan and her song Jupiter.

Thanks mods for the title change🎈

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Learn more about the game's combat mechanic, the antiviruses sent to erase you and the bosses that keep the Mainframe secure, in this new trailer

Discover the true meaning of your unwanted presence and the origin of the Mainframe this sprawling 3D Metroidvania hacking adventure.

Recompile is coming to PS5 on August 19th, 2021

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Its got that Unity look about it, and sorry to say I kinda hate that. So even though I can see some nice art-direction in there, really find it visually wholly unappealing. And given that like frankly way too many indies, its way too reliant on its styling to differentiate itself... big nope from me.

tommib

This game looks interesting and weird, but I really did not enjoy the song. Like...at all
That’s the most tone deaf decision for a trailer soundtrack I heard in quite some time. “What would work with this hyper kinetic action game footage? Here add some mellow Norah Jones C-class rip off to it. Perfect!”

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Looking forward to giving this a shot. Releases on GP in about an hour.

*EDIT* Looks like they're having some technical difficulties. Says, "Game Unavailable".

*EDIT* Had to start the download via Store, but now it's working ok.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
This game is pretty sweet so far. Controls are a little off but there's a really neat graphical style. Seems like its a 3d platformer. Im into it so far. Very early in.
Yeah I had a bit of a problem with an early jump that I felt like I should have been making.

Music is pretty chill so far and the game doesn’t hold your hand you basically need to figure it out for yourself.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Yeah I had a bit of a problem with an early jump that I felt like I should have been making.

Music is pretty chill so far and the game doesn’t hold your hand you basically need to figure it out for yourself.
Yeah, right off the bat youre just thrown into unexpected 3d exploration. Reminds me of n64 game level design in a good way. They don't tell you where to go at all.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I'm about an hour in and so far it's a nice, mellow 3d platformer with some shooting. Music kind of sounds like some trippy jazz style music from BoTW. From what I gather so far, you're a program inserted into a broken mainframe that you're trying to repair and figure out what went wrong.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'm about an hour in and so far it's a nice, mellow 3d platformer with some shooting. Music kind of sounds like some trippy jazz style music from BoTW. From what I gather so far, you're a program inserted into a broken mainframe that you're trying to repair and figure out what went wrong.
I just finished installing myself and figured I was a virus or something lol. Im into all the old computer style text art too. Its not a flawless game but I'm enjoying the mystery and exploration and art. The music is good too.

Im glad we're starting to finally see 3d indies entering the n64 era instead of endless pixel art snes style indies.

Kagey K

Banned
I just finished installing myself and figured I was a virus or something lol. Im into all the old computer style text art too. Its not a flawless game but I'm enjoying the mystery and exploration and art. The music is good too.

Im glad we're starting to finally see 3d indies entering the n64 era instead of endless pixel art snes style indies.
I feel like some of the younger people might miss some of the jokes or references to old school computing.

From the green monochrome screens to MS Dos command lines, and Windows 3.1 text boxes.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Just got to TET ACCESS CONTROL. This game is pretty nuts. Im loving it.

The combat sucks ass though lol. Just got the 2nd upgrade so hopefully that helps that aspect of the game.

jaysius

Banned
Man this is a fucking ugly game. Lots of shitty jumping puzzles with bad platform detection, tons of slipping off shit.

jaysius

Banned
Has anyone encountered the puzzle with four squares that turn on 3 different tubes, but one of them turns off the other 2 tubes? This puzzle starts with one tube already lit, It's very frustrating, is this a timing thing, or is this a puzzle that you can just solve?

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Comparing this to Rez...

200w.gif

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Recompile reviewed by Travis Northup on PC, also available on Xbox and PlayStation.

This short-lived 3D metroidvania from developer Phigames and publish Dear Villagers has a great story, but forgettable platforming, puzzles, and combat.

chris121580

I gave up on this. Even after unlocking a lot of powers, it just wasn’t enjoyable to play. The cube boss was the end for me. Glad it was on game pass

BabyYoda

Banned
Not sure why this isn't getting more attention, love the graphics and atmosphere, it also has an epic scale to it. They really need to work on the combat though. Most of the enemies will fly right up to and above you, that and the fact it has little to no aim assist and usually small and precarious platforms to navigate, makes enemy encounters a frustrating mess for the most part. The bosses are better because you are in a proper arena, still frustrating though, but cool in a Rez kinda way.

One positive is that if you are observant, you can often see dormant enemies from a distance and pick them off before they get too close (and almost impossible to kill with a controller, although (spoiler alert....) hacking them when you get that ability should help out somewhat.) Your mileage may vary if you are playing with a m&kb, but I'm in no way doing the platforming without a controller!

Speaking of which, the platforming is really hand sweatingly difficult (I literally have a cloth nearby to wipe my hands regularly!), but it becomes more doable once you unlock (spoiler alert....) triple jump and dash. It's rather satisfying when you make a series of difficult jumps. Fairly common bonfire like checkpoints make things less frustrating as well.

The writing is good though, they are mostly in text messages that you discover hidden in the world and it's a testament to their quality that I always welcome them, as numerous as they are.

Over all, I like it a bunch, no surprise there considering Tron was a childhood favourite of mine! Just don't expect to love the combat, thankfully it's not too common.

Last edited:

Roberts

Only played it for an hour (seriously, we GP users are getting way too spoiled - there is no time for everything), but I really, really like it. Just what I like about Metroidvania games like that - chill, get lost in a strange foreign world and try to open a new shortcut or find a new upgrade. Clearly not a game for everybody, but it clicked for me. Will return.

Top Bottom