• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RDR2 Still one of the best looking lod and lighting systems in open world games?

Nafeken

RDR2 is now almost 5 years old but I am always amazed at how incredibly good the vision with the connected lighting is 😃 I think the lod system and lighting with the weather is still top notch.

Which open world game impresses you because of the atmosphere and graphic?

I made some screenshots in 5k with all options on max and some mods.

psx_20230720_180316-j0iqp.jpeg

psx_20230720_174155-52ipx.jpeg

psx_20230719_223643-lyf3q.jpeg

reddeadredemption2_29kikx.jpeg

psx_20230719_223907-jpd97.jpeg

psx_20230720_1740303ocu6.jpg

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
I think it's technically impressive, but amazingly boring to look at, graphics are one of the reasons I'd have think hard on trying it myself...

A friend of mine played it on discord and it was fun watch him but if I had to play it myself, graphics alone would contribute a lot to me getting bored. That has happened to me with other games so I know it will happen with that one too just because of that.

Filben

The volumetric lighting, clouds, the whole skybox is impeccable. The way light is refracted in the atmosphere, or at least how it is simulated to get that look, is still amazing. Add on top life like and detailed animations and brilliant material shader and textures.

Too bad it doesn't even play half as well as it looks. I've finished it and had my fun with it, one of the most intense epics and story lines and ending I've seen. But I don't think I could play a second playthrough.

Hugare

Yeah, easily the best LOD/Draw Distance system on the industry

You can see stuff for miles. Its nuts.

And lighting is amazing. Another great example of why baked lighting is the shit.

They've baked the world's lighting many times, so you can have different times of day dinamically, but sometimes you can notice when they transition.

Have you ever noticed that sudden lighting change when riding your horse? Thats the baked lighting transition happening.

Other open world games like Spider-Man or Assasins Creed Unity have fixed times of day due to the baked lighting transitioning after a mission ends, since they arent able to store that much data to change it many times dinamically.

Rockstar said fuck it and baked many different times of day. So thats why it looks better than 90% of other open world games, 'cause they usually use GI systems that arent nearly as good as baked lighting

Materials and animations are also incredible

The game as a whole is a visual masterpiece

MadPanda

Banned
For me it's still the best looking game ever, and I've tried other games which rival it. Can't believe they produced that on ps4 pro and Xbox one x. I wish they were making rdr3 instead of GTA VI...

Larxia

One of the most impressive things with this game is that, it's not just crazy looking, it's also filled with insane amount of details, unique scripts, content, it's so alive it's crazy.
There are other really pretty open worlds out there like Horizon, but none are as immersive and alive as RDR2. This game is impressive on all aspects with its open world. There are things where you can criticize the game design for the story mission, but the open world, damn, it's incredible.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I only played it on ps4 slim but it was great.
Your modded 5k shots look kind weird. Like it's a miniature. The scale is all wrong.

vTlmIRI.png

EzW0zcX.png

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Yep, i expect big things from gta6 even if it's hard to make a city looks as good as a natural environment.
THis is an interesting comment. I think there are quite a few things Rockstar can do to improve on GTA5's city seeing as how Spiderman looks better (albeit less varied in visuals)

But personally i just want to see a different artstyle from GTAVs. It's boring in comparison to all the other GTAs which had such a distinct and memorable style

GymWolf

I'm more worried about the writing. Christ knows what that'll be like

I have a strange feeling it'll have She Hulk type humour..
You think rdr2 was just an exception?

I will be ok with mediocre writing but everything else top tier, i don't really play rockstar games for the plot, even rdr2 has some nonsense and plot holes.

GymWolf

THis is an interesting comment. I think there are quite a few things Rockstar can do to improve on GTA5's city seeing as how Spiderman looks better (albeit less varied in visuals)

But personally i just want to see a different artstyle from GTAVs. It's boring in comparison to all the other GTAs which had such a distinct and memorable style
I never said that they can't improve, i just think that a more natural environment is easier to make look good compared to how full of stuff a real city is, they have to waste a lot of rendering power for way more npcs and cars (also way more reflective surfaces and lights sources)

Last edited:
Outside of character models (which still look good), it’s the best looking game out there in my opinion. PC version at 60+fps honestly looks amazing. I’ve been playing it through again and frequently find myself being wowed at the scenery and general atmosphere created by the visuals.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
You think rdr2 was just an exception?

I will be ok with mediocre writing but everything else top tier, i don't really play rockstar games for the plot, even rdr2 has some nonsense and plot holes.
No, but it did start production in a different time.. a less 'inclusive' time, shall we say..

I'm sure GTA VI will be much more 'diverse' in these current times and lets just say that all of the 'diverse' media coming out as of late has certainly been endearing to say the least.

Mediocre writing is one thing, Saints Row 2022 is another.

Cant wait to find out, though.

skit_data

Still haven't played it, despite really liking RDR.
I'm probably gonna be waiting for the PS6 version. I did with GTAV and Skyrim, played those for the first time on PS5.
I can do it again.

GymWolf

No, but it did start production in a different time.. a less 'inclusive' time, shall we say..

I'm sure GTA VI will be much more 'diverse' in these current times and lets just say that all of the 'diverse' media coming out as of late has certainly been endearing to say the least.

Mediocre writing is one thing, Saints Row 2022 is another.

Cant wait to find out, though.
I think rockstar is not like disney, they care about money, not principles.

But i could be wrong.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Your modded 5k shots look kind weird. Like it's a miniature. The scale is all wrong.
The scale 'is' all wrong in R* open-world games - all of them. Not just R* either - but they come the most to mind since I've been to said American cities and everything looks 4-5x too small.

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
I would say that’s draw distance not Lod I can still spot model quality changes when riding through the map

MarkMe2525

I was playing this last night on a Dolby vision capable panel. Damn it still looks so good. Those nights in the swamps with a full moon. Those sunrises in the mountains. Nothing can beat it still.

Tripolygon

Banned
It's the sum of the parts not the parts themselves that make it stand out from a lot of games. A lot of games use the same systems RDR2 uses, volumetric lighting, clouds, etc. Still one of the best-looking games from last gen that holds of well for current gen games.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Played it on a PS4 Pro and thought it was majestic. I now have a 4090 and an LG 55 CX - I wonder if it is worth a double dip.
Those higher res textures at 60fps in DLSS, it's so damned worth it to double dip. The mods as well.

The majority of it's 50m + sales platform(s) are currently getting shafted by Take2/R*

It's currently 67% off on Steam right now,

Last edited:
Top Bottom