• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart - PC Version - AMD GPUs Won't Have Ray Tracing at Launch

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Drag Race Reaction GIF by RuPaul's Drag Race

Console which ran the game with RT on an AMD SoC.

PC version with AMD GPUs cannot do the same functionality.

What's so hard to figure out

:messenger_grinning_sweat:
Ohhkk...Good job explaining the thread now explain how amd shat the bed hence the "make it make sense" 😀 is it a bug? Or are they just "investigating"

Kataploom

Gold Member
AMD needs to spend less money blocking NVIDIA and more money getting their shit together.
Ironic comment when this is probably they taking Nvidia's money too.

But as nobody (including myself) knows what's going on, we shouldn't set rumors as facts.

BTW I never intended to play using RT anyway so I'll probably pick it anyway.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Isn´t the PS5 GPU from AMD?

PS5-version has RT, but PC on AMD-GPU not? I really don´t get it...
PC has RT shadows and AO too. Probably the performance for shadows + AO + reflections is currently very poor on AMD cards.

Last edited:

Eotheod

PC has RT shadows too. Probably the performance for shadows + reflections is currently very poor on AMD cards.
They could easily offer it as an optional setting if it's a performance issue. It is assumed that it actually is a setting, RT shadows, hen you enable RT itself.

winjer

Gold Member
Is this game sponsored by nvidia?

The PS5 version runs on RDNA2 and supports Ray tracing. But then the PC version doesn't work with RT on RDNA...

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Yeah this added with the nvidia showcase vid and it’s already in the ps5 amd hardware……

I’m not a calculus professor but it doesn’t add up.

Last edited:

Holammer

If they pull it this "--> <--" close to launch, I could imagine a plausible chain of events:
Digital Foundry notices massive AMD RT problems during testing, alerts Insomniac. Sony fearing bad publicity and Steam user score backlash decide to pull the feature temporarily.

JaksGhost

If they pull it this "--> <--" close to launch, I could imagine a plausible chain of events:
Digital Foundry notices massive AMD RT problems during testing, alerts Insomniac. Sony fearing bad publicity and Steam user score backlash decide to pull the feature temporarily.
They included this last week when they were talking features:
** Details regarding ray-tracing support for AMD GPUs coming soon

Holammer

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Doesn’t make sense, but as long as they figure out whatever they have to figure out. Ray tracing isn’t that important.

Buggy Loop

RT + upscalers + GPU decompression maybe stalled the pipeline or AMD’s compiler is freaking out?

I think it’s on AMD’s side for the problem. Shit happens.

Their compiler did something weird too with Portal RTX, it made 99ms UBERshaders for no reasons, it’s shit performance at launch had nothing to with with the path tracing API calls.

Maybe not DF but reviewers in general.

Or AMD promised an updated driver but didn't deliver.

shamoomoo

Would be interesting to see Sony switch to an ARM/Nvidia SoC for the PS6. The server-class Grace chips are crazy powerful, a customized cut down version of that would be insanely good for a game console
Why not a super Vita? A Chinese company used the powervr tech to make an equivalent high-end GPU. It's called mtt s80.

Nvzman

To me this sounds much more like a driver bug, which is extremely likely given my experience with a 6900xt for a few weeks. Constant crashes and bugs out the ass and completely soured me on getting an AMD GPU for a while.

Buggy Loop

AMD's discrete GPU ray tracing isn't the same as the PS5 hardware, despite similarities. Sony sounds like they'd rather delay that feature than release it half baked.

Parks And Recreation Nbc GIF by HULU

Pretty sure it is. It's the whole patent of RDNA 2 how the pipeline works with RT. Receipts on your claims?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'm rooting for AMD to continue making strides but this seems weird. I can't say it's the devs or the HW but the power should at least brute force the baseline RT in the PS5 version at the very least on a 7800+ GPU.

Top Bottom