• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart 15 min gameplay 4K

MAtgS

No Angela is, Sasha appeared in 2 games (Up Your Arsenal and Deadlocked) and Talwyn in 3 (Tools of Destruction/Quest For Booty, A Crack in Time and Into the Nexus) while Angela appeared only in Going Commando and nothing else.
Crack in Time had a radio broadcast of Angela and weapon mod named after her. She's on one of the Holo cards in 2016 game. Sasha doesn't even get mentioned when her ship appeared in 2016. The fandom tends to also talk about Angela more than Sasha from my observation.

Crack in Time had a radio broadcast of Angela and weapon mod named after her. She's on one of the Holo cards in 2016 game. Sasha doesn't even get mentioned when her ship appeared in 2016. The fandom tends to also talk about Angela more than Sasha from my observation.
Well Angela's more talked about for a reason, she was the only other Lombax in the series before it got retconed in the Future Trilogy.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Mario is a platformer. Its limited by its very nature. You're playing almost the same game throughout its history, more than any other franchise. Ratchet and Clank would not be given a second look if not for the fact that its a sony game. Its a rote and silly jumping game, doing nothing of value or worth.

No, sequels are never meant to deliver more of the same. Why would anyone want another game doing the same things the previous one did ? All the masterclass games throughout history are remembered when they did something extraordinary, not when they did more of the same. Why even make a new game if you have nothing to say and just repeat the previous one ? Sequels that follow this formula are mediocre sequels.

What's with all the rants on Returnal and R&C? Are you jealous? Feeling the heat? Just buy PS5 and the games and have some peace inside.

tenor.gif

MastaKiiLA

So is the instant loading of a whole new area somewhat of a gimmick? Timestamp

Hardly a gimmick. They built a game about jumping between worlds. The SSD makes this easier to do, since it can load in data fast enough to accomplish this seamlessly. If we see other games doing this on other platforms, then we'll know that it's not due specifically to the PS5 SSD. If not, then we can conclude that the PS5 I/O facilitates certain functionalities that other drives can't.

It would be like saying quick respawns in PS5 first party games is a gimmick. It's not, it's just a function of drive speed.

Halo is a shooter. Its limited by its very nature. You're playing almost the same game throughout its history, more than any other franchise. Halo Infinite would not be given a second look if not for the fact that its a Xbox game. Its a rote and silly shooting game, doing nothing of value or worth.
See I can be reductive too!

Just curious.... you guys that have "evolved" past "middle ages" gameplay of running and shooting at enemies.... what do you do in the games you play? Since running and jumping and shooting are obviously way beneath you?

Last edited:
I wonder if there'll be cross reality puzzles or something of the sort.

I'm still waiting to see how open the gameplay can get, or if it's going to be mostly "on rails", which is cool to look at sure, but it's not that impressive from a game design perspective.

I wonder if there'll be cross reality puzzles or something of the sort.

I'm still waiting to see how open the gameplay can get, or if it's going to be mostly "on rails", which is cool to look at sure, but it's not that impressive from a game design perspective.

I remember they mentioned something about Clank cross dimensional puzzles.

Hardly a gimmick. They built a game about jumping between worlds. The SSD makes this easier to do, since it can load in data fast enough to accomplish this seamlessly. If we see other games doing this on other platforms, then we'll know that it's not due specifically to the PS5 SSD. If not, then we can conclude that the PS5 I/O facilitates certain functionalities that other drives can't.

It would be like saying quick respawns in PS5 first party games is a gimmick. It's not, it's just a function of drive speed.

There are ways to do this, yes, and facilitating doing this is the point.
The developer don't need to put so much effort on software and tricks to achieve this because there's not hardware limitation to overcome.

This is beyond discussion already, the only point to remember is that most developers are shitty.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Extra development? There's no extra development. It's the same development with better tools to work with.

If your competition can keep selling games at $60 then you're overcharging.
Competition is also not putting out games like this.

Sony is investing $100-$150M+ dollars in making excellent games and asking premium prices for players who want this type of premium, blockbuster games. Considering that these games are topping the sales charts, there is definitely a market for selling this type of premium experiences at a premium price.

No harm in that. If there wasn't a market, there would be no sales at full price, and Sony would stop doing this.

Competition is also not putting out games like this.

Sony is investing $100-$150M+ dollars in making excellent games and asking premium prices for players who want this type of premium, blockbuster games. Considering that these games are topping the sales charts, there is definitely a market for selling this type of premium experiences at a premium price.

No harm in that. If there wasn't a market, there would be no sales at full price, and Sony would stop doing this.
Lol what? There's nothing premium from Sony.

Premium would be a 7 year project ala GTA V, now that's premium. Or even Cyberpunk, they spent a lot and came out with nothing but still charged 60. And what about the reported 500 million spent on Halo Infinite? That's gonna be 60 too with first day gamepass and free multiplayer.

If you're telling me Sony can charge more because they make better games and not because it costs them more then you're a fool. Sony might be riding in success right now but this is just starting and that $70 price tag it's gonna hit hard in the next couple of years when you have to buy more than one game.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Premium would be a 7 year project ala GTA V, now that's premium. Or even Cyberpunk, they spent a lot and came out with nothing but still charged 60. And what about the reported 500 million spent on Halo Infinite? That's gonna be 60 too with first day gamepass and free multiplayer.

If you're telling me Sony can charge more because they make better games and not because it costs them more then you're a fool. Sony might be riding in success right now but this is just starting and that $70 price tag it's gonna hit hard in the next couple of years when you have to buy more than one game.
As you said in that Halo Infinite thread, Halo looks like a Gamepass game. And that's true. But PlayStation Studios games are not "Gamepass" type games. And if those games are $60 (which Infinite will be), it is okay to accept that PS Studios games (that are clearly better) would just be $10 more.

I'd have loved if the games stayed $60, but all I'm saying is that I understand why they are $70 now.

It costs Sony a lot to make these games. Jim Ryan already came out and said that it’s costing them around 100 million a piece or more on these games that’s why the GamePass model doesn’t work for them. I even remember an interview where Shawn Layden was lamenting how Sony’s AAA games are getting more and more expensive.

If you don’t want to pay $70 for games that’s fine but there are plenty more people that will and they aren’t “fools” for doing so. Game development costs are going up and pretty much every AAA dev is going to raise their price this new gen. You’re dumb if you think GTA6 won’t cost $70 or more and break records at launch. Using Cyberpunk as an example is rubbish since it’s a last gen game and isn’t affected by the new price model. Every major AAA game except for maybe MS games on GP will go up in price. It’s the nature of the industry. In fact, I think it’s pretty remarkable we’ve gone 15+ years without a price increase considering inflation. People complained like you when prices jumped from $50 to $60 and they eventually got used to it. They will get used to $70 as well.

I personally don’t like the price increase but it just means I’ll be more choosy with my games. I rarely bought games at full price when they were $60 last gen. I’m okay with waiting for sales and price drops on most games. I only make exceptions for my personal highly anticipated games. There’s no rule that states you have to buy a game on day one.

Last edited:
It costs Sony a lot to make these games. Jim Ryan already came out and said that it’s costing them around 100 million a piece or more on these games that’s why the GamePass model doesn’t work for them. I even remember an interview where Shawn Layden was lamenting how Sony’s AAA games are getting more and more expensive.

If you don’t want to pay $70 for games that’s fine but there are plenty more people that will and they aren’t “fools” for doing so. Game development costs are going up and pretty much every AAA dev is going to raise their price this new gen. You’re dumb if you think GTA6 won’t cost $70 or more and break records at launch. Using Cyberpunk as an example is rubbish since it’s a last gen game and isn’t affected by the new price model. Every major AAA game except for maybe MS games on GP will go up in price. It’s the nature of the industry. In fact, I think it’s pretty remarkable we’ve gone 15+ years without a price increase considering inflation. People complained like you when prices jumped from $50 to $60 and they eventually got used to it. They will get used to $70 as well.

I personally don’t like the price increase but it just means I’ll be more choosy with my games. I rarely bought games at full price when they were $60 last gen. I’m okay with waiting for sales and price drops on most games. I only make exceptions for my personal highly anticipated games. There’s no rule that states you have to buy a game on day one.
So you started defending the price increase and then you say you won't be getting as many games until there's a price cut? Lmao

As shown in the gameplay video, it's mostly a gimmick (the boss fight taking place on different worlds is cool but ultimately pointless). I hope they utilize the dimension hopping in more clever ways throughout the game.

MastaKiiLA

There are ways to do this, yes, and facilitating doing this is the point.
The developer don't need to put so much effort on software and tricks to achieve this because there's not hardware limitation to overcome.

This is beyond discussion already, the only point to remember is that most developers are shitty.
The ways of doing it involve caching data in memory. If your drive has half the throughput, you're either sacrificing details to fit the assets in memory, or you're introducing elevators/gates into the transition, in order to mask the additional load time. A data throughput cap is one of the tougher things to work around, as data is fuel. It's like trying to maintain the same level of horsepower in a car with half the fuel flow.

martino

Great looking and i will play that
but this not the game with the lod transitions/distance revolution and the gpu still need them to handle things (at least we are not at lower than low pc equivalent anymore)

Last edited:

BlackTron

I'm the kind of guy who won't play an FPS game unless it's running at a minimum of 144hz, and I found PS4 Rachet & Clank to be a fine, smooth experience at 30FPS. It's nice to know the option in there, but I suspect that after fiddling with both I'd leave it on 30 anyway.

Especially if it's a locked 30 compared to an inconsistent 60.

Caio

It looks so good I can't still believe, beautiful, amazing, I love this Game, holy crap the tech behind this game is insane!
Congrats Insomniac, this is the way to push a new hardware, and it's only a fist gen game. I'm impressed.
Also the art design is so marvellous, I love avery single detail of this Game.

Elios83

Watched the footage on my 4K TV and it looks absolutely incredible.
This is what should be expected from next gen games and it's just the beginning (still first gen software).
With Returnal and R&C Sony is delivering big times while others who I see are already busy showing how butthurted they are in threads like this :messenger_grinning_sweat: are left with empty PRs and fake rumors from shills like Jeff Grubb, Tom Warren and co.

jonnyp

No, what he meant was that the WHOLE level is not loaded at the same time but everything in the frustum plus a certain percentage outside of it is loaded because loading the ENTIRE level would take much longer and be a waste of resources. Nowhere did he even use the word "gimmick". Nice try.

Dodkrake

Banned
I was just saying let's not overblown the reality.
It feels like chest thumping and taunting by casually throwing the words 'pixar-quality' around. 🤷‍♀️

Depends on your benchmark - Early 90s to early to mid 2010s pixar movies are either worse or not better looking than this game. Later pixar movies do absolutely look better overall.

But I wouldn't expect you to agree.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
See I can be reductive too!

Just curious.... you guys that have "evolved" past "middle ages" gameplay of running and shooting at enemies.... what do you do in the games you play? Since running and jumping and shooting are obviously way beneath you?
Maybe they're VR fans.

T Terenty please be a VR fan.

giphy.gif

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
No, what he meant was that the WHOLE level is not loaded at the same time but everything in the frustum plus a certain percentage outside of it is loaded because loading the ENTIRE level would take much longer and be a waste of resources. Nowhere did he even use the word "gimmick". Nice try.
Yeah, he even referenced The Road to PS5 when Cerny talked about this.

The speed of the SSD, the I/O is making this possible. IMO, what he said in the reaction clip was more the technical aspects of it, what the Insomniac guy said in the State of Play was more like in laymans terms.

Last edited:
Top Bottom