• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare, in an alternate reality: What if they stayed with Nintendo, what could've been

li bur

I don't know man, but they wouldn't do any better should they stay with nintendo, considering the states nintendo in right now. They might soar with the wii but then stuck again with wii u.

Riky

$MSFT
Viva Pinata wasn't a system seller though. Goldeneye was a system seller. Banjo Kazooie was a system seller. And so on. Not to mention even quality wise while Viva Pinata is good...its just that GOOD not GREAT not AMAZING, but GOOD. And that's Rare's problem, they don't make games that will make people buy the console or games that even really stand out that much from the competition.

Kinect Sports sold because it was a Wii Sports clone, that's pretty much it. The game itself isn't really that good. Even then so that's two games over the past...near 13 years. Nintendo most likely used the money to sell Rare to further build their in house and gain talent (like Retro). I mean really the only thing that makes Rare stand out today is that they are seen as a shadow of their former selves.

I didn't say Viva Pinata was a system seller, it was popular though, people loved it. To say it didn't stand out, really? I would say looking at the Xbox portfolio it stood out in a pretty big way since there was nothing else like it on Xbox.

So that didn't sell systems no, but on the other hand Kinect Sports did. Kinect sold more than the Gamecube console and a lot of that would be to do with Kinect Sports, clone or not. To say that the $300 million Nintendo got is more important to a company that has mountains of cash reserves but a failing console due to lack of exclusive system selling software is the thing I don't understand.

SaucyJack

I will never understand how people can see Nintendo selling Rare other than one of the smartest decisions the company has made in its history. The fact that the company has yet to release one single big title that reaches anywhere near the popularity of their N64 days should speak volumes. Rare stood out back in the day because they made games that were widely popular and were amongst the best of that generation. What have they done since? What game have they made since the Gamecube and beyond era that is as important as Goldeneye? Or any other of their stand out N64 games? The fact that they were putting out shit games like Star Fox Adventure and merely good games like Sabre Wulf. The old Rare was dead Nintendo caught that and sold the company.

Rare stood out long before their partnership with Nintendo and even before they were Rare. The decline of the company could equally be down to the departure of the Stampers shortly after they became an MS studio.

They should have become a multi-platform developer instead.

Jackano

Starfox Adventures would have stayed Dinosaur Planet.
DKCR and DKTF would have been done by Rare.
Other M would never happened with Team Ninja but Retro would have Metroid U out this year.
Also dat DK64 3D in 2011 instead of DKCR 3D in 2013.

Quick add edit: Also maybe Nintendo would have sell Retro to MS shortly before the Wii so we will cry about Metroid all the same :)

Maxrunner

I don't know man, but they wouldn't do any better should they stay with nintendo, considering the states nintendo in right now. They might soar with the wii but then stuck again with wii u.

Of course they would, Retro was also not doing shit until Nintendo intervened....

pikablu

Nintendo would be in a better place now thats for sure. The argument for Nintendo would also be a lot stronger.

Its a shame a lot of Rare's new games are total crap. There initial 360 games were decent but then again they had those planned for Nintendo at first.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
The Naughty Dog of Nintendo!

I'd prefer most games Rare have done over anything Naught Dog has ever done though (minus Last of Us, never played that), especially Uncharted. Also, Rare's games don't play a lot like ND's do. Jak & Daxter (1) is probably the only game ND has done, that's in the style of a Rare game.

ramparter

Banned
They would be working on Wii Sports 3 instead of Kinect Sports 3 so no big diff.

nah... who am I kidding... of course we would have a new Diddy Kong Racing, a 2d platformer starring the whole of DK64 cast, a Blast Corps on Wii U, a new Perfect Dark like the first one, Banjo Threeie, Starfox Adventures 2, and a Donkey/Banjo/Conker crossover.

Top Bottom