• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quiet Actress (MGS:V) on Sexualization: "Quiet's outfit is not practical at all."

At least she knows its "fantasy" departament, and it's not supposed to mirror reality. Unless she consider having a mechanical functional arm and having a bone in your skull as a part of reality.
But even if it was, I would still disagree with her. A female bimbo as an assassin is perfectly acceptable because the nature of beauty and sexyness plays a role in assassination.
Her job as an assassin is more questionable. Especially in the age of only fans and all the cam and gym thots who sexualize themselves, but no one says a word about them and that's real life.

Doom85

Let’s be real, OP totally made this thread to see how many people would get instantly triggered without actually reading what she actually said and how she respects Kojima’s creative choices.

season 7 mystery with a twist GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

JohnnyPhats

Oh sit down and shut the fuck up. You’re an adult. You knew exactly what the fuck you were doing then. And know exactly what the fuck you’re doing now. Take your fake ass HORSE shit statement, turn that sum bitch sideways and shove it straight up your lying ass.

I think the article is fine, this headline is totally clickbait. She overall really seems ok with the outfit, while saying it is pretty impractical. Yeah, pretty much! I just wish Kojima owned up to it, like heck yeah, I like nearly naked women so quiet exists ..... Be honest man!

JohnnyPhats

It isn’t practical in a video game about a dude that has single handedly killed a thousand people over the years lol.

MMaRsu

Banned
Ok so lemme get this straight. A woman who can attribute her fame to sexualization, is saying her character is too sexualized. Does she offer an alternative? Like, what would be practical given mechanics of her breathing. Taking a shower could lead to Quiet drowning. She sees this as an excuse? I think people who love MGSV think that particular characteristic, while definitely offering space for sexualization, is still a very interesting part of her story. It gives her depth, mystery and an almost alien or superhuman quality. You could be fully clothed and people will still find a way to sexualize Quiet. Sure the game makes that blatantly obvious but I mean think of the audience, think of the creator. Think of 4 other games before this that all have some sort of lewdness in women, Raiden and Snake himself. Wasn't Raiden butt ass naked in MGS2? I mean get over yourself.

Did you even READ the op? Probably not if I was to go by this post.

MMaRsu

Banned
Oh sit down and shut the fuck up. You’re an adult. You knew exactly what the fuck you were doing then. And know exactly what the fuck you’re doing now. Take your fake ass HORSE shit statement, turn that sum bitch sideways and shove it straight up your lying ass.

You could try you know reading what she actually said. Calm down

Crayon

It was a super hot character and looked great posing in a vacuum. It was honestly stupid looking in the game, though. She could have still been in something tight or revealing, but as it is, it's a little clowny.

A woken watch is right twice a day. In this case, she was a cool character but the shredded underwear outfit looks obviously like it was made for women-likers to ogle. Not to overstate it, but did occasionally notice that the character could have seemed more real with less t&a.

LimanimaPT

Video game developers and artits in general should be allowed to do whatever they want. They want to sexualize their characters? Let them.
Personally I like women so I like to see sexy characters. Enough of this shit.

Flutta

Banned
Wish she was in Death Stranding too but Kojima wanted a ”famous” actress instead. Will never forgive him for that decision 🖕.

🚪🚶🏼‍♂️

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
If devs lose their freedom to make what they want to make then that’s the day gaming industry would die..

And I’m not saying you have to like everything they make, are you free to like or dislike same way they are free to make what they want to make…….it’s obvious statement but you be surprised how many people wouldn't understand this obvious point.

MAX PAYMENT

Kojima has trolled the game industry, journalism, and his audience so hard that they will never stop talking about him.

Quiet is good eye candy, terrible character.
It's by design. The fact that this topic is being discussed now is a beautiful example of Kojima's next level trolling at work. The gifts that keep on giving.

It wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility that all the death stranding 2 trailers show us playing as Sam Bridges, then instead we play as a yet-to-be-revealed sock puppet 2 hours into the game. And then that decision would be discussed for decades.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Bill Paxton was right when his character in the movie True Lies said, "what are we talking? Pussy right?"

Robb

Gold Member
Is it supposed to be? I’d think the majority of outfits people wear are unpractical and they just wear them because they think they look good or are comfy.

RaduN

She is not even fucking human, and we talk about practical..ness?
Yeah, thank Guudy for devs like Kojima (are there any other left even?) that do what the fuck they want, without any god damn agenda.

midnightAI

Can mods lock this up? people are going in on Stefanie Joosten without even reading what she has said, this is a witch hunt without her even saying anything that's controversial and going off the clickbait thread title.

Majukun

seems like a lot of people didn't even read what she said? doesn't seem such an extreme take, she knows is eye candy, she accepts it, but also knows that even with the justification in mid, the attire is still ridicolous fanservice, and many people love it because of it

Drizzlehell

Banned
Is this really something that anyone cares about these days? I know it's awful convenient that this is being brought up again right after the interest in the series was revived by the release of MGS Collection and the announcement of MGS Delta, but I don't think anyone except the psycho feminazis like Anita Sarkeesian genuinely even though about Quiet in the last 5-7 years of our lives.

SenkiDala

Come on the title is misleading as fuck, she said she understood why some people was mad at this design (understandable) and that it is a revealing costume (how can you say it's not ?) but that she respected the decision of Kojima, the artistic decision and that she'd be glad to play Quiet again in a prequel for exemple.

That's unfair and untrue to quote just what you like to make her look like a woke bitch, which she isn't (and I don't care about this girl I dunno anything about her outside of MGS).

Probably a controversial opinion, but I almost always found practicality or realism boring in most video games and don’t mind when developers think outside of the box or just go crazy with their designs. Sure, Quiet looked very “unique” for that type of game, but people will never forget her, that’s for sure.

Last edited:

yanhash

Shes right, the costume is one thing I hate about that game, if it was a goofy game like Tekken ,bayonetta, dead or alive or fortnite, it would be pretty cool, but it is a game like MGS it looks so stupid and destroys the immersion. It was clearly Konamis marketing trying to sell merch to weebs.

Sorcerer

To me Stefanie Joosten sounds conflicted about something in her past. Happens to all of us at one time or another in our lives. And she questioned Kojima's rationale but did not make herself out to be his victim.
I think Stefanie sounds sensible enough here.

Sorcerer

Shes right, the costume is one thing I hate about that game, if it was a goofy game like Tekken ,bayonetta, dead or alive or fortnite, it would be pretty cool, but it is a game like MGS it looks so stupid and destroys the immersion. It was clearly Konamis marketing trying to sell merch to weebs.
This kind of thing is a Kojima trademark. I would guess it stopped with Death Stranding?

Kamina

Golden Boy
I’d say practicability depends on the type activity you plan to engage in.
Quits outfit has some obvious advantages in my book. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

supernova8

Banned
"I'm so offended by Quiet's over-sexified outfit that I'm going to donate all of the money to charity that I made from being the model/actress for that character"

is something she's never going to say so move along, nothing to see here folks

Last edited:

violence

IGN: You’re being too neutral for the clickbait headline we wanted to use. You have to admit the outfit isn’t practical.

Joosten: …Ok sure I’ll give you that. But you have to say I respected it. The modeler could’ve given me a more plump ass, but not otherwise there’s no controversy, sorry.

IGN: We’re not gonna publish some of that.

IGN did their best here.

Remember when you could just make a fun video game?

Last edited:

yanhash

This kind of thing is a Kojima trademark. I would guess it stopped with Death Stranding?
I doubt it's kojima/toriyama/masashi etc who are into the over sexualization, at least 70% of them are not, Japanese creators aren't given that kind of freedom given in the west If they hand in a project, ceo's/shareholders will straight up tell them "Go make a character more like Goku" or "make the two female characters sexier and make sure she's wearing something skimpy"

Simply put that shit sells to their majority male audience, I just hate it when they f*** with the creators vision, whether it's fans attacking Neil Druckman or Kotaku giving Enix shit for the lack of diversity

Creators should do whatever the hell they want.

Plus Death stranding is all him, so no old man Japanese CEOs demanding sexy character to project higher sells

Last edited:
I thought she had to wear the clothes and didnt talk because
she photosynthesized and was infected with a specific strain of whatever bioweapon they were dealing with in mgs5,
not because she sustained injuries fighting big boss in the beginning of the game.
Am I misremembering something? its been almost a decade.

Top Bottom