• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VGC] Metal Gear Solid Master Collection warns players that some content is ‘considered outdated’

iorek21

I find it amazing how companies have been spreading this “outdated views” or “modern audiences” as if the current status quo is sooo much better than 30-20 years ago.

They really want to paint the 90’s and 00’s as the new Middle Ages or facist Italy or something, right?

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I totally prefer this sort of approach to classic content compared to actually making edits or censorship. If you're bothered by this you're looking at it wrong.

old-parts

I find it amazing how companies have been spreading this “outdated views” or “modern audiences” as if the current status quo is sooo much better than 30-20 years ago.

They really want to paint the 90’s and 00’s as the new Middle Ages or facist Italy or something, right?
The public didn't change that much but the professional/managerial/expert class did and especially in who they listen too with NGO's replacing the public & common sense as feedback. This is were such attitudes to paint the past as wrong germinate and are peer pressured to other companies in that you better get on the accepted narrative train (failure to do so marks you out).

Konami is basically covering their butt corporate wise, it didn't really need it but at least it's not been tampered with.

Perrott

Gold Member
tumblr_lx06xfAz2U1qm4heyo1_500.gif
FcRrJS3WYAAKgFz

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
They wanted to publish it in its original form, even though they knew they would receive backlash on certain issues, in order to avoid the expenses of changing the content. It's typical Konami. I'm not complaining though.

X-Wing

I like this approach. It keeps the original vision and informs people that some of the things portrayed were acceptable in another time period but possibly not anymore. I hope we see more of this as we evolve as a society, I personally think that is a good thing. You can walk away from stupid outdated tropes without erasing history. Just add context.

T-0800

I hope in the future they apologise for now.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Someone remind me, QUICK- What's the resolution for the Switch OLED again? 🤔
Makes sense, in bizarre world where Switch has lost its docked mode where it connects to 1080p displays it can render at and Xbox Series X|S, PS4 Pro, Xbox One X, Xbox One, PS4, and PS5 do not exist either (game is also 720p on the apparently…).

Last edited:
A DISCLAIMER NOTES THAT THE “CREATOR’S ORIGINAL VISION” HASN’T BEEN CHANGED

The upcoming Metal Gear Solid: Master Collection Volume 1 includes a disclaimer at the start, warning players that some of the content may not be considered as appropriate in the present day.

The disclaimer doesn’t refer to the exact scenes that are “considered outdated”, but they could refer to to the way the series portrays some female characters, particularly in the first game where Snake often hits on women and Dr Naomi tells Snake he can “do a strip search” on her if he completes his mission.

It's just fun, flirty banter. I don't see the problem.

The folks who see this as problematic are just triggered because they ain't getting any pussy, and you know it to be true.

Last edited:

Trunx81

Ninja-politics thread, sneaking in before the lock.

Germany has this discussion right now, as they are starting to put up warnings for old comedy shows. It’s just so … unnecessary. For people who have no idea what they are up to. Hand holding.

I feel like most people are capable of understanding that all works of art are products of their time and so may not necessarily conform to modern cultural norms or whatever value system they happen to subscribe to, but at least Konami had enough sense not to alter the games.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
It should of read
WARNING..

This game contains expressions and themes which may be considered ahead of its time and may trigger safe bubble bitches with it accuracy , these elements have been included without alteration to preserve the historical context in which the game was made and the creator’s original vision and integrity of the era the game was released in, for players that are sensitive little bitches and don't live in reality, discretion is advised

That being said, they only left it in because they're too lazy to remove it.
It could also refer to the series’ occasional use of cigarettes, especially in particular moments in the original MSX2 games where the player can use cigarettes to calm Snake’s nerves and make certain sections of the game easier, implying that smoking has benefits.
People back then knew what we know now, the smoking to calm Snakes nerves was based on facts and the game constantly told you it was bad.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I mean, makes sense to mention it on your product just in case. Just to cover your bases. Really though, good on them for not changing anything. That'd be BS.

Neon Xenon

With the content in the MGS games being left unchanged (as far as we know and what we're being told), I'm okay with this warning being displayed. That being said, I totally understand not wanting to make any sort of appeal to people who don't want to acknowledge context or just outright ignore context of when media is released, particularly when it's grown-ass adults who should know better.

Nok Su Kow

Eh to me this is good news is a weird way

A content warning is eye roll inducing but cut content would make me skip it altogether

Crew511A

Am I remembering wrong, or didn't Snake refer to one of the bosses in MGS2 as "that cross dressing freak"? I assume that would trigger certain people today.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Am I remembering wrong, or didn't Snake refer to one of the bosses in MGS2 as "that cross dressing freak"? I assume that would trigger certain people today.

He said that blood sucking freak. Vamp was bisexual and a sadist but didn’t cross-dress.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Outdated elements?

Horrible way to refer to the hardworking people at Konami, but hey.

I mean, it's totally the Raikov shit and EVA'S tits and Fortune being a black woman but a villain/idiot. And Vamp must offend the people pretending to be gay gypsy figure skaters on Twitter, probably.

I guess releasing a game with commentary on technology being used to subtley control the politics of entire nations through the presence or absence of information might piss off uh...hypothetical people of a certain laterality.

Maybe the Outdated elements are all the times Hideo Kojima's name accidentally didn't get hate-edited out (because that would require doing the bare minimum of work on this project)

HMMMMMMM

CGNoire

At least there not censoring it. I also like they used the lighter term of "outdated" and not "offensive".

Now why these corporations feel people need to be dictated too about whats outdated or not is a whole other can of worms.

Top Bottom