• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*Public utility*: Gift Cards still work on PS3

images

I know I'll see a lot of "ok" posts lol!
But this is actually a question that many still have!

The PS3 store has a lot of good stuff to buy, many good games that have gone unnoticed and some still there overlooked, especially in stores from other countries, where you can find exclusive arcade games. Not to mention classics from PS1, PS2, PC engine and even the actual PS3 digital games!

My Silent Hill 4 stopped working out of nowhere on the PS2, and the disc has no scratches whatsoever, it was frustrating. Then I remembered that Jp's store has Silent Hill 4. And you can set voices and sub in English, so I bought it and it worked. It had to be like this, because the price of this game is absurdly expensive on physical media.

This is just a topic for you to rest assured when buying a PSN gift card, it will work on PS3 store!

And it would be very interesting if you commented if you still want any games from the PS3 store! Run that there's still time!

(Bonus)

Full version trailer (rare)

Last edited:
Bought all of the remaining games that I wanted on the store when Sony threatened to close it. There is a lot of good shit on PS3 that will be sorely missed when they do close it. I'm glad I managed to swoop it up before it's too late. It's bad enough that so many games have been delisted.
Yeah, agree.
Thankfully i got majority of digital only delisted games!

But i will investigate more deeper, always has some gem.

SkylineRKR

I can confirm gift cards work. I bought Einhander on my new JP account the other day since I long lost the login of my original.

PS3 is fucking awesome guys. I wasn't too hot on it when it was supported but it has so much different kinds of IP. I have an absolute blast playing Virtua Tennis 3 world tour on it. Or a few games of NBA Street. Or Ridge Racer 7. Or Motorstorm 2. PS5 has nothing even remotely like this.

And it still looks fine. Its a HD console after all. RR7's and VT3 IQ actually surprised me somewhat, but they were native 1080p games.

MI can confirm gift cards work. I bought Einhander on my new JP account the other day since I long lost the login of my original.

PS3 is fucking awesome guys. I wasn't too hot on it when it was supported but it has so much different kinds of IP. I have an absolute blast playing Virtua Tennis 3 world tour on it. Or a few games of NBA Street. Or Ridge Racer 7. Or Motorstorm 2. PS5 has nothing even remotely like this.

And it still looks fine. Its a HD console after all. RR7's and VT3 IQ actually surprised me somewhat, but they were native 1080p games.
Happy Big Bang Theory GIF

Silent Hill 4 is $9.99 on Gog.com too, btw... And no getting into a different language store, or buying codes needed.

As for PS3 digital games.... Wish Tokyo Jungle, cloudberry kingdom and a few others transfered over to ps4/5. Really is shit that they didn't do any backwards compatibility.
Also miss the killzone and resistance trilogies, along with infamous 1 and 2, and 3 motorstorm games (especially pacific rift)
Wish my ps3 still had bluetooth and wifi.

I can get a new used one for $75 local, but how hard is it to trasfer content to a new ps3? Does it still download your store content? How about psp/ps1 games?

Silent Hill 4 is $9.99 on Gog.com too, btw... And no getting into a different language store, or buying codes needed.

As for PS3 digital games.... Wish Tokyo Jungle, cloudberry kingdom and a few others transfered over to ps4/5. Really is shit that they didn't do any backwards compatibility.
Also miss the killzone and resistance trilogies, along with infamous 1 and 2, and 3 motorstorm games (especially pacific rift)

I can get a new used one for $75 local, but how hard is it to trasfer content to a new ps3? Does it still download your store content? How about psp/ps1 games?
Its easier but i don't play on PC...
I work on pc (home office), last thing i want to see to relax is PC again lol.

I only have a massive collection of Doujinshi games for PC, i collect since 90's, majority fighting games, and some i still buy on dlsite.
So i plug my pc on the TV and play :)

Ps: just posted SH4 for the reasons i said, was the last i bought yesterday. I m still have 3500 yenes to spend tonight! I will dig deeper to find something cool!

Last edited:

Yes, your games are attached to your account! You still can download all the games you own! Buy the console, download you account, go to account management, and download from there, faster than the store!

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

This is a good site for browsing and tracking PS3-games (and PS4 & 5). It even lists when there is discounts and you can buy gift cards too if you want. Makes it much easier to get an overall view of what's left on the PS3 store without having to browse the slow and broken PSN store on the console.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

I did just that. Last summer I bought a PS3 with 160gb for 60 bucks or so, no controllers but I had 2 good ones still. I logged in on the account I use since 2007. I think you need to activate via QR or something these days but it works.

You don't have to go to the store for your download history IIRC. You can see them in purchase history in the XMB too. Everything is still there.

It will take a ton of time though depending on what you want. Download speeds aren't the fastest, and installing is very slow too especially if you do it during downloads. I went through my whole list, selected everything I wanted and went off to my work. When all is downloaded you will spend a good while installing the apps one by one.

But its worth it. For example I could play Tekken 5 DR, HotD, Daytona, Afterburner, Outrun 2, RE CVX, Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic CD, GTI Club+ etc etc. Many of these games are lost to time otherwise.

And discs can be had for very cheap. I bought NBA Street, VT3 and Resistance 3 for less than 5 a pop.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
The PS3 had some amazing games on its store that were never released on PS4/5.

Marvel Vs Capcom 2, Silent Hill and the Konami beat em ups, Simpsons and X-Men are a few that I really miss the most 😭

I did just that. Last summer I bought a PS3 with 160gb for 60 bucks or so, no controllers but I had 2 good ones still. I logged in on the account I use since 2007. I think you need to activate via QR or something these days but it works.

You don't have to go to the store for your download history IIRC. You can see them in purchase history in the XMB too. Everything is still there.

It will take a ton of time though depending on what you want. Download speeds aren't the fastest, and installing is very slow too especially if you do it during downloads. I went through my whole list, selected everything I wanted and went off to my work. When all is downloaded you will spend a good while installing the apps one by one.

But its worth it. For example I could play Tekken 5 DR, HotD, Daytona, Afterburner, Outrun 2, RE CVX, Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic CD, GTI Club+ etc etc. Many of these games are lost to time otherwise.

And discs can be had for very cheap. I bought NBA Street, VT3 and Resistance 3 for less than 5 a pop.
When u download multiple games, i recommend go to "turn off" the console, then will appear an option if u want your downloads to finish and the console turn off automatically, then u check the box.

The console will download all your games, install and turn off. It's a great feature!

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Great thread OP.

I recently picked up some games on PS3 too. It still has some gems.

I'm so glad I got Fatal Frame 1-3 last year, I think they've been delisted since.

SkylineRKR

There was not much else like purchasing the original phat PS3. It was expensive, but it also looked like something that should've been higher priced than an Xbox at the time. The overall look and build of the console, its features (4x HDMI, SD card slot, BR playback), built in wifi and ofcourse hardware PS1 and PS2 emulation. Its really no wonder this thing cost 600.

Consumers ofcourse didn't eat it up because the graphics didn't meet its insane demands set by Sony themselves, and the quality of software was shoddy during its initial period. Which is also the result of being a year late. Not many systems start off exceptionally well, and if your competitor is out of the gate already and is prepping up its second wave, then it can be difficult. In fact Sony faced the same dilemma against Sega, but their position had become so weak that it didn't matter at all.

When u download multiple games, i recommend go to "turn off" the console, then will appear an option if u want your downloads to finish and the console turn off automatically, then u check the box.

The console will download all your games, install and turn off. It's a great feature!

This is a good tip. I think i used this in the past as it was added later as a feature IIRC, but I forgot about it when I returned to this system.

Top Bottom