• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR2: Hands down, best engineers in the World: Japanese - I am so impressed with PSVR2

keraj37

I had many VR headsets, the last and the best what I had was Oculus Quest 1, but it didn't deliver to me what I was expecting.
I gave up on VR, until I realized that gaming is my main hobby, so I shouldn't save a dime on hardware related to it.

Yesterday I went to a local shop and brought new PSVR2 for my PS5.
I wasn't expecting much, just a slight upgrade over quest 1.

My first game? GT7, looks great!
The FOV is much, much better and the resolution really look like a next gen VR!
But it didn't really impress me to the deep bone.

But then I installed a demo of Star Wars enhanced edition, which I bought a physical copy immediately after.
The first scene in the saloon is so impressive! Looks great, sounds great! This is the VR experience I was looking for.

I found myself playing the darts for a half an hour in the saloon, while the bartender and the other guy were talking in the meantime.

I consider PSVR2 a great achievement by Japanese engineers because it is just great hardware that is sold for a little it is worth.
It is not an achievement to make an impressive VR headset when you have DoD budget, but what Sony did, is just great quality/cost hardware.

If you hesitate to upgrade your PS5 with it, I recommend: do it!

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I'm impressed with it as well. A hell of a piece of kit for the price.

I can't not rave about it enough, but GT7 has been a game changer when a racing game is built from the ground up around VR tech. A surreal experience which makes it hard to go back to flat screen racing. That app alone is well worth the purchase for me.

Last edited:

FrankWza

I'm impressed with it as well. A hell of a piece of kit for the price.

I can't not rave about it enough, but GT7 has been a game changer when a racing game is built from the ground up around VR tech. A surreal experience which makes it hard to go back to flat screen racing. That app alone is well worth the purchase for me.
I have barely played anything else since except the show. I have RE4 and FFXVI sitting here. A lot of that is because the weather turned and I do more outdoors stuff and baseball is on almost every day so I game less in general this time of year. But jumping behind my wheel still gets the bulk. It's awesome.

FrankWza

I had many VR headsets, the last and the best what I had was Oculus Quest 1, but it didn't deliver to me what I was expecting.
I gave up on VR, until I realized that gaming is my main hobby, so I shouldn't save a dime on hardware related to it.

But then I installed a demo of Star Wars enhanced edition, which I bought a physical copy immediately after.
The first scene in the saloon is so impressive! Looks great, sounds great! This is the VR experience I was looking for.

I found myself playing the darts for a half an hour in the saloon, while the bartender and the other guy were talking in the meantime.

I consider PSVR2 a great achievement by Japanese engineers because it is just great hardware that is sold for a little it is worth.
It is not an achievement to make an impressive VR headset when you have DoD budget, but what Sony did, is just great quality/cost hardware.

The only thing missing is is the PS5 wireless earbuds coming out soon. I'm looking for to those. Going to go nicely together.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The only thing missing is is the PS5 wireless earbuds coming out soon. I'm looking for to those. Going to go nicely together.

I'd be interested in these as well. They seemed to be loading them with the tech of their other high quality ear-buds, and would feel much better than a full headset over the VR set. Cooler temps on your head as well (sweat/moisture wise).

I've enjoyed mine but so few games seem to make use of the better resolution. The only one I've thought looked like a genuine next level vr game was Red matter 2. The rest are blurry/reprojected messes.

Davevil

no-cut.gif

no you don't sold it to me

FrankWza

I'd be interested in these as well. They seemed to be loading them with the tech of their other high quality ear-buds, and would feel much better than a full headset over the VR set. Cooler temps on your head as well (sweat/moisture wise).
Exactly. This is what I was referring to keraj37 keraj37
They have pretty much everything you could ask for feature-wise. Just have to hope for multipoint for more versatility.

Crayon

Well I wouldn't say it proves japanese engineering is above and beyond. They clearly still got it, tho. It's a very impressive system for the price.

reinking

Gold Member

Best advice I can give you is to ignore the laugh emojis I’m sure you will get and continue to enjoy the PSVR2. It is a great unit and we have enjoyed having it.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
I've enjoyed mine but so few games seem to make use of the better resolution. The only one I've thought looked like a genuine next level vr game was Red matter 2. The rest are blurry/reprojected messes.
I believe Sony are fixing this. Apparently their reprojection solution is one of the worse, therefore fixing this aspect which in turn will sharpen up many of the games and improving visual fidelity.

Last edited:

Brock2621

I’ve been super pleased with how enjoyable and easy to use it is as well. Play Beat Saber almost daily just to get my heart up

Brock2621

I believe Sony are fixing this. Apparently their reprojection solution is one of the worse, therefore fixing this aspect which in turn will sharpen up many of the games and improving visual fidelity.
Wait I haven’t heard this before. Is this a hardware or software “fix?”

Also, do you have any links I can read more about it by chance?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I’ve been super pleased with how enjoyable and easy to use it is as well. Play Beat Saber almost daily just to get my heart up
Quick question, maybe someone will know. I have not played too many games that will increase the heartrate, just due to not wanting to sweat around the soft rubber face seal alone, but is there a third party company that possibly makes disposable "pads" that go around that area between your face and the rubber to help absorb said moisture?

SilentUser

Playstation VR 2: Sony is reportedly working on improving reprojection

On topic, I have one since the first day and still love it. I still prefer playing in VR than in flat, I think that has changed permanently. It is that awesome! And some great games to play like Village, Red Matter 2 (so damn crispy!), Demeo and many others (soon I will buy Synapse!).

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
Glad to hear that you liked it. I'm a long time Quest 2/PC user and PSVR2 + PS5 pretty much solved every PCVR problem in my opinion. I even prefer Type-C cable rather than horribly compressed Quest 2 PC link quality. I mean - I want that thing but I don't have PS5 yet. I'm considering PS5+ PSVR2 + GT7 combo in the future.

keraj37

Glad to hear that you liked it. I'm a long time Quest 2/PC user and PSVR2 + PS5 pretty much solved every PCVR problem in my opinion. I even prefer Type-C cable rather than horribly compressed Quest 2 PC link quality. I mean - I want that thing but I don't have PS5 yet. I'm considering PS5+ PSVR2 + GT7 combo in the future.
giphy.gif

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
It is expertly designed and imo a steal at this price. I'm a little disappointed because I want more from the technology and would've paid more. But they have their strategy.

My main complaint is that they aren't doing VR conversions for most games. Third person VR, isometric VR, these are fucking awesome and it seems like Sony and devs are only doing FPSV conversions... which require a ton of dev work. I like them, but you don't have to go that hard / expensive.

Hopefully soon we'll start getting some creative conversions / hybrids.

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
It is expertly designed and imo a steal at this price. I'm a little disappointed because I want more from the technology and would've paid more. But they have their strategy.

My main complaint is that they aren't doing VR conversions for most games. Third person VR, isometric VR, these are fucking awesome and it seems like Sony and devs are only doing FPSV conversions... which require a ton of dev work. I like them, but you don't have to go that hard / expensive.

I agree. "normal" non-VR games looks mindblowing in perfect stereoscopic 3D which VR brings as basic. Maybe they should consider some ports with 3D (and headtracking) support to be played with gamepad like GT7.
Sadly but this exact thing killed Vita. Games are mostly less massive and polished versions of their 'big' counterparts. I really hope Sony finds the way because PSVR2 hardware itself is amazing.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Hopefully the new Team Asobi game (they claim is their most ambitious yet) has VR in mind.

Last edited:

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance

There you go bud 👍

Last edited:

Hudo

How many shares do you hold?

Beechos

I've had it since day one. Still not impressed coming from a quest 2. Yeah it's higher res but asset quality is such shit still in vr. It's like playing ps2 era games on an emulator with a cleaner image and higher res. I dont know if it's just me but screenshots of vr games look 1000x better compared to what you see when you actually play it.

Crayon

I've had it since day one. Still not impressed coming from a quest 2. Yeah it's higher res but asset quality is such shit still in vr. It's like playing ps2 era games on an emulator with a cleaner image and higher res. I dont know if it's just me but screenshots of vr games look 1000x better compared to what you see when you actually play it.

You think a screen cap is buffin it from a ps2 game to this.

Horizon-Call-of-the-Mountain-Gameplay-Sells-The-Potential-of-PS-VR-2.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

FlrB5W5acAMCFie.6.jpg

Maybe it's just the old havn't played a PS2 in a long time? Lot's of PS2 comparisons come from that.

Edit I should mention that it looks a little better and a little worse in some ways in the headset. In the screens you can see the detail dithering out from the tracked gaze that works flawlessly in actual use, and in the headset you will see the muira grain which there is no way around but getting used to it.

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
Nope. you must be mis-remembering what PS2 games are like lol.

Horizon, GT7, RE8 all have high quality assets and environmental density.

CamHostage

Well I wouldn't say it proves japanese engineering is above and beyond.

I wouldn't say it either... mostly I wouldn't because, much like the PSVR1 and a lot of PS OS/dev tools, I believe the PSVR2 hardware and interface was engineered in large part by the SIE Europe office?

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Not impressed by the current output of games..

So right now it’s basically my resident evil 8 & gt7 box

Beechos

You think a screen cap is buffin it from a ps2 game to

Maybe it's just the old havn't played a PS2 in a long time? Lot's of PS2 comparisons come from that.

Edit I should mention that it looks a little better and a little worse in some ways in the headset. (worse) In the screens you can see the detail dithering out from the tracked gaze that works flawlessly, (better) and in the headset you will see the muira grain which there is no way around but getting used to it.
Sadly most vr games don't look like that and wont even come close with the majority having simple superhot like models and environments. For me personally those screenshots are a far cry from what I experience in vr and don't accurately portray a game in vr. Screendoor effect while better is still bad for me its like watching tv/playing games without my glasses on. Everything still has a "boxy" feel/look to them kinda similar to early 3d polygon models despite the increase in detail.

Top Bottom