• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 will have BT 5.1 and Wi-Fi 6 802.11 AX standard

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
getting Right now on my iPad 500mb down (my old mesh set up was getting me 30mb in same area). I still plug in my laptop when downloading games, can easily get double that.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
ctpdbgsim8c41.jpg

So the XSX prototype did had S/PDIF output, but not in the retail version.

Three

i mean wifi6 is great, but your ISP needs to provide wifi6 service (and may increase monthly costs). I talked to xfinitiy, at &t, and they stated the maximum speeds they can provide is

1 gigabits per second

a lot of gamers dont care for wifi6 because they will be using wired cable connection to get the best connection with no lag 🤷‍♂️
Better remote play locally even if you don't have the ISP Wan speeds.

I hope Bluetooth 5.1 means I can use my wh-1000xm3 headset.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Better remote play locally even if you don't have the ISP Wan speeds.

I hope Bluetooth 5.1 means I can use my wh-1000xm3 headset.
It is not related to the Bluetooth version... it is like Apple AirPods not working too.

Sony needs to include the drivers or libs in the system to them works (in the AirPods case I don’t know how Apple licencies works).

Last edited:

skneogaf

How many here have a wifi 6 router? I don't but I do have a wifi 6 pcie card in one pc and another pc with a WiFi 5 card.

Both are obviously exactly the same speed until I replace my netgear nighthawk router and mesh extender which I'm not going to for a long time.

Always best to connect directly if possible, especially for multiplayer games.

Dargor

is this definitive proof? Not saying it isn't, nor concern trolling, just getting saturated with all these news never coming from direct sources.

Arkam

They will just release a new model in 2021 or 2022 with the newer hardware.

Yea, if its something that becomes expected standard they could do i mild refresh. Just they did with the X360 to add the HDMI port. But I think this is not that much a factor and can be added in the Slim/Pro refresh. But def a nice to have on the PS5 at launch.

Dnice1

ctpdbgsim8c41.jpg

So the XSX prototype did had S/PDIF output, but not in the retail version.
Yup, Its one of the reasons I believe the XSX is going to come in cheaper than folks think. Just look at how many ports were on the back of the original XB1. Along with basically re-purposing the XB1 controller makes me believe they were trying to cut cost while putting most of their efforts into the apu.
6C7512066-xbox-one-back-ports.blocks_desktop_large.jpg
xbox-series-x-ports-close-up.jpg

GHG

This surely is an oversight from Xbox.

Would they not want that especially for Gamepass, as a standard.

Microsoft are very well known for their excellent services, i find this strange, is it a money thing? it can't be can it

They will release an adapter:

4178J2WM83L._AC_.jpg

But in all seriousness, WiFi 6 is the real deal. Got it with my new motherboard and while it's still not as good as wired it's noticably better than whatever the older version of WiFi was.

And to whoever is saying you need your ISP to sort you out... No, you just need a newer router.

LordOfChaos

OK but how many of you have AX Routers?

For one the console should last 5-7 years, the 2.4Ghz N-only wifi of the og PS4 definitely became a pain point early on, and in that much time people or at least their ISPs may upgrade their routers. That's part of why so many people swear by ethernet for it. The other thing is each new wifi generation brings up the baseline of processing performance, the AX200 wifi card I have in one laptop is way better at keeping a higher speed connection with my AC only router than any other device in the house, including for example Apples formerly very good but aging 3x3 AC wifi solutions. That point is very important, even without a wifi 6 router you benefit from starting to lean towards 6, and then when you do upgrade to a wifi 6 router you see even more benefit.

Last edited:
WiFi 6 makes the needs of wired for better latency a thing of the past.
I don’t like cable in any device, less cable = better, but today I still have PS4 wired.
Well your WIFI6 won't do 1000mbit/s unless you don't even have a sheet of paper between the access point and device.
cable is still the way to go.

But it's a nice improvement for some for sure.

PSYGN

My OG PS4 doesn't support 5GHz band so it's a nice surprise that they want to support the latest wireless tech.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Nice, the more up-to-date tech the always better. Now, if only Wifi6 routers didn't cost a fortune, that would be great... Also, if Sony doesn't upgrade their crappy PSN infrastructure it'll be all for nothing, you can have even a 1Petabit/s connection but if the bandwidth is chocked at the very source it doesn't matter how well things are on your end, you screwed and there's nothing you can do about it.

Dnice1

Some people can't use a network cable.
Oh I understand that. I've got 3 consoles and only 1 is hooked up to ethernet which is the XB1X in livingroom where I have a ethernet switch. I know for a fact there is difference because 4K Youtube videos start up immediately on the ethernet connections vs 5+seconds of buffering on the wifi connections.

yurinka

It's awesome news and lines perfectly with the other parts of the hardware architecture, focused on immediacy and inmersion.

Most users play using wifi, and this means that it won't be an issue for genres like fighting games (unless they have crappy routers, that over time will improve). Until now the wifi specification of the base PS4 (platform that most players use in fighting games as of now) was an issue, but won't be the case in PS5, it's future proof and a huge step compared to PS4 and Series X in terms of speed and latency, something that will benefit not only online gaming but also game streaming.

Regarding the gamepad, going from bluetooth 4.0LE to bluetooth 5.1 is also a great step, a huge increase in speed and (we'll need to make tests here because there aren't specs or benchmarks) seems that in latency too. Which means that even when playing locally in a single player game we'll also experience an improvement in input lag.

i mean wifi6 is great, but your ISP needs to provide wifi6 service (and may increase monthly costs). I talked to xfinitiy, at &t, and they stated the maximum speeds they can provide is

1 gigabits per second

a lot of gamers dont care for wifi6 because they will be using wired cable connection to get the best connection with no lag 🤷‍♂️
If you’re online gaming to any reasonable degree you should be using a network cable. But this is cool regardless.

No, wifi isn't a ISP service. Wifi is for the connection between your router and the devices you have at home. What the ISP service provides is connection between your router and their servers infrastructure.

You're free to do whatever you want at home, if the router provided by your ISP doesn't support wifi6 you can buy another router.

Compared ot previous standards, 802.11ax offers a big improvement in speed and latency. The previous standard 802.11ac (the one from PS4 and Series X) had ~5ms of latency more than using a cablt but 802.11ax offers more speed (theorical peaks of 9.6-11 Gbit/s vs 1Gbit/s of the wired 1000BASE-T that consoles use) and the same or better latency than a good gigabit lan cable.

This will be the first time that playing in consoles using wifi will be better than wired with a good cable (comparing cases where you would be using a proper router, properly configured and at a proper distance) in terms of speed, latency and even distance since it sould cover over 100 and maybe 200 meters.

We'll need to wait to measure the real world numbers in PS5, because they are supposed to approve this standard next month and there only a few devices that use it, but the theorical numbers they have and improvements over the current most advanced standard are great.

Well your WIFI6 won't do 1000mbit/s unless you don't even have a sheet of paper between the access point and device.
cable is still the way to go.

But it's a nice improvement for some for sure.
Wifi 6 offers way more speed and the same or more distance than your wired 1000BASE-T cable (non-straight line of ~100 meters in the case of the typical cat 5 cable, over 100 or 200 meters in straight line with wifi6). And no problems having a few walls between routers and console, way older wifi standards already have no problems with that.

Last edited:

Aceofspades

Banned
Wifi6 on XSX would be nice but if scaling a few things back provided for stronger graphical and audio features while keeping it at a compelling price i can do without things like Wifi6.

If I didn't already know the specs I would assume that Xbox is 36TF machine after reading this post . Its sad that MS flexing and they ended up with 18% power difference! Which is "smallest" difference in history add to that a lot of disadvantages too 🤣

SSfox

What does this means? Is wifi 6 this good? Doubt it will come close to wire is it?

And i'm not too into this but what Bluetooth 5.1 will bring? does this mean that wireless headset can now run without need of recharging battery?

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
It's awesome news and lines perfectly with the other parts of the hardware architecture, focused on immediacy and inmersion.

Most users play using wifi, and this means that it won't be an issue for genres like fighting games (unless they have crappy routers, that over time will improve). Until now the wifi specification of the base PS4 (platform that most players use in fighting games as of now) was an issue, but won't be the case in PS5, it's future proof and a huge step compared to PS4 and Series X in terms of speed and latency, something that will benefit not only online gaming but also game streaming.

Regarding the gamepad, going from bluetooth 4.0LE to bluetooth 5.1 is also a great step, a huge increase in speed and (we'll need to make tests here because there aren't specs or benchmarks) seems that in latency too. Which means that even when playing locally in a single player game we'll also experience an improvement in input lag.

No, wifi isn't a ISP service. Wifi is for the connection between your router and the devices you have at home. What the ISP service provides is connection between your router and their servers infrastructure.

You're free to do whatever you want at home, if the router provided by your ISP doesn't support wifi6 you can buy another router.

Compared ot previous standards, 802.11ax offers a big improvement in speed and latency. The previous standard 802.11ac (the one from PS4 and Series X) had ~5ms of latency more than using a cablt but 802.11ax offers more speed (theorical peaks of 9.6-11 Gbit/s vs 1Gbit/s of the wired 1000BASE-T that consoles use) and the same or better latency than a good gigabit lan cable.

This will be the first time that playing in consoles using wifi will be better than wired with a good cable (comparing cases where you would be using a proper router, properly configured and at a proper distance) in terms of speed, latency and even distance since it sould cover over 100 and maybe 200 meters.

We'll need to wait to measure the real world numbers in PS5, because they are supposed to approve this standard next month and there only a few devices that use it, but the theorical numbers they have and improvements over the current most advanced standard are great.

Wifi 6 offers way more speed and the same or more distance than your wired 1000BASE-T cable (non-straight line of ~100 meters in the case of the typical cat 5 cable, over 100 or 200 meters in straight line with wifi6). And no problems having a few walls between routers and console, way older wifi standards already have no problems with that.

The interesting bit will be contention and how the router will handle that without dropping speed which is one of the issues with WiFi. One iPad, TV, A/C receiver, a Switch, a phone, and a watch and you have 6 WiFi devices right there and many houses add to that your Nest thermostat or the like and lots of WiFi connected peripherals. We will see, I would still recommend to get as many devices as you can on Wired Ethernet with a proper switch (not that expensive unless you go for some Enterprise model and a router) as opposed to a normal repeater.

In urban environment with generally less than optimal shielding buying more powerful transmitters is also an arms race that ends with having your neighbours doing the same and bringing back old problems to the forefront.

Jesb

Is Bluetooth even that great of a feature if I can’t even use any current Bluetooth device....

Gamerguy84

The interesting bit will be contention and how the router will handle that without dropping speed which is one of the issues with WiFi. One iPad, TV, A/C receiver, a Switch, a phone, and a watch and you have 6 WiFi devices right there and many houses add to that your Nest thermostat or the like and lots of WiFi connected peripherals. We will see, I would still recommend to get as many devices as you can on Wired Ethernet with a proper switch (not that expensive unless you go for some Enterprise model and a router) as opposed to a normal repeater.

In urban environment with generally less than optimal shielding buying more powerful transmitters is also an arms race that ends with having your neighbours doing the same and bringing back old problems to the forefront.

Yep. Between three of us we have about 25 devices. That includes 6 alexas. A home wireless handles?

All kinds of tricks to use like setting priority for devices but I did it differently to clean up the air.

Two TVs and two playstations are hardwired, Alexas are restricted to 2.4 band. Security is hardwired. Laptops, phones, and IPADS have free run of any band.

If anyone have PSNOW or getting XCLOUD wired will cut the latency the most and give the best exlerience.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
What does this means? Is wifi 6 this good? Doubt it will come close to wire is it?

And i'm not too into this but what Bluetooth 5.1 will bring? does this mean that wireless headset can now run without need of recharging battery?

I have a Wi-Fi 6 router and my iPhone is the only thing I own that fully supports it. At best it’s half of what my plug in speed is(500 vs 1g). I do find the range is much much better.

yurinka

Some of the wifi 6 improvements (and in previous standards too) are related to handle better these things: you'll have the same console, phone, tv, etc usage but the wifi will have way more bandwidth and speed your lan will be less stressed, but on top of that improvements on the standard help to manage it better.

CamHostage

No wifi 6e so no vr wireless.
: (

Yeah, the first thing I was thinking of was that it was 6, not 6e (or "802.11ay"), which at first I didn't think was a big deal, but that's totally true, wireless VR would have benefited (as would Remote Play, if not a third PlayStation Portable existed...)

The 'e' part of WiFI 6e is, as I understand it, a fragile but incredibly fast WiFi pipeline for nearby devices, as it broadcasts on a 6GHz signal instead of 5GHz or 2.4GHz. You wouldn't necessarily use it on your traditional whole-home WiFi router since it broadcasts a short range and is susceptible to blockers, but if you're in the same room as your WiFi device, you've got nearly cut-the-cord bandwidth/speed. (And so if you take the internet out of the equation and just do a local signal of PS5-to-VR, you get why that 'e' would be so valuable.)

I don't think not being official WiFI 6e makes PSVR wireless impossible? WiFi 6/802.11ax itself was already touting VR plans before the 'e' came along, and you don't have to be on a 6GHz device to get great nearby signal, but it helps. Sony may have built its own Wireless VR plans in rather than using the emerging standards (though it doesn't seem like they'd be able to build a 6GHz device without adhering to the regulation of WiFi certification, right?) It would certainly have made me more relaxed and eager for a PSVR wireless future if 6e had been in the specs, for sure, so now we will just have to see what the final device is capable of.

If you use WiFi on a stationary device you're doing it wrong.

Apartment living and rental spaces hem you into your limitations, though. Actually, even in a home, I don't know what great options you have unless you're willing to put holes in your walls and floors (or leave cords running through the rooms.) If cable companies let you put multiple modems at each coax point, that'd be perfect for most pre-wired buildings, but that's not how they play it.

WiFi just is how people expect to get their devices online these days. It's mostly as fast as people expect the internet to be, and the hassle of wiring up a place is getting harder to justify as wireless gets better.

This surely is an oversight from Xbox...

Microsoft are very well known for their excellent services, i find this strange, is it a money thing? it can't be can it

An oversight and a cost measure for Xbox I assume, but maybe we shouldn't be too quick to count it as a mistake until the machines are tested? Supporting a more recent standard doesn't mean your WiFi card is "+1" better; quality does matter too. Sony unfortunately had a reputation for WiFi sketchiness (I don't know much about PS4, but I remember endless complaints about PS3 and Vita,) and WiFi 6 has a lot of benefits but many of them are about distribution rather than raw per-device performance; WiFi 5 is still a performer until it starts needing to share a signal (although chances are all of us are plugging everything in the house already into our 802.11ac WiFi 5 routers, and getting a new console would have been a good time to also upgrade to a shiny new 802.11ax WiFi 6 router setup.) So hopefully both manufacturers have weighed their choices with WiFi chips carefully while building their boxes.

Last edited:

CamHostage

Bluetooth 5.x over the PS4's Bluetooth 4.0LE has features that, depending on the mode used, offer "has a maximum of four times the range, eight times the bandwidth, [or] twice the speed." Somebody else can do a better job of breaking down the differences of the spec since past-gen, but it seems like everything should be better with BT5 devices supported. That said, both Sony and Microsoft apparently do a lot of custom work on latency response for the console and the controller hardware, so general standards are just the start of things.

For your question of headset battery, I know? This not being a Bluetooth 5.2 device (which is not even out yet I don't think?) means it's missing a few little features, and one of the key differences in 5.2 is a new "high quality, low-power audio codec". That would have been good for quality and battery life of gaming headsets or even the DualSense speaker. But maybe some of that can still be integrated?

And Bluetooth 5.x devices themselves are supposed to be able to run sound on a Bluetooth Low Energy signal instead of standard BT (apparently without a loss of quality, because BT Classic was mostly just an old hog,) so I'm seeing people say that even BT5.0 headsets on the market should have better battery life than a BT4 headset, but I'm not finding the tests and hands-on impressions that say how much better battery life. (Anybody have experience here?) Nobody seems to be not complaining about their BT headphones running out of batteries, so I assume the world is still looking for better low-power sound no matter what BT they're using today.

The PlayStation 5 Wireless Pulse 3D Headset is said to offer "up to 12-hour wireless play", while the PS4 Platinum Headset is supposed to last 10+ hours, but the PS5 DualSense is said to last 3-4 hours longer than the pig DualShock 4 (and DualSense has more demanding haptics in it,) so is any of that thanks to better Bluetooth, or is it just bigger batteries inside the devices?

Last edited:

Jigga117

1 gigabits per second

The rental fee for the xb7 from Xfinity is $14. Nothing changeg for the cost. the Cost is the same if you rent their xb3, xb6 and xb7.

Top Bottom