• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 will have BT 5.1 and Wi-Fi 6 802.11 AX standard

AlexxKidd

WiFi 5.

802.11 ac as per digital foundry breakdown.

Wifi 6 is 802.11 ax

Probably not BT 5.1 either but I don't think we know that yet. Based on this and the and overall XSX design (basic box), I believe Microsoft budgeted cheaper in console features so they could put everything in graphics while still coming out with a cheaper machine (or equal priced, worst case) than PS5.

mean wifi6 is great, but your ISP needs to provide wifi6 service (and may increase monthly costs). I talked to xfinitiy, at &t, and they stated the maximum speeds they can provide is

What do ISPs have to do with this?

WI-FI 6 ISN’T ABOUT TOP SPEEDS
Instead of boosting the speed for individual devices, Wi-Fi 6 is all about improving the network when a bunch of devices are connected.

That’s an important goal, and it arrives at an important time: when Wi-Fi 5 came out, the average US household had about five Wi-Fi devices in it. Now, homes have nine Wi-Fi devices on average, and various firms have predicted we’ll hit 50 on average within several years.

Those added devices take a toll on your network. Your router can only communicate with so many devices at once, so the more gadgets demanding Wi-Fi, the more the network overall is going to slow down.

Wi-Fi 6 introduces some new technologies to help mitigate the issues that come with putting dozens of Wi-Fi devices on a single network. It lets routers communicate with more devices at once, lets routers send data to multiple devices in the same broadcast, and lets Wi-Fi devices schedule check-ins with the router. Together, those features should keep connections strong even as more and more devices start demanding data.

Last edited:
Probably not BT 5.1 either but I don't think we know that yet. Based on this and the and overall XSX design (basic box), I believe Microsoft budgeted cheaper in console features so they could put everything in graphics while still coming out with a cheaper machine (or equal priced, worst case) than PS5.
Yea bluetooth is not known . Yea ms spent all the money on the gpu but sony split it on controller , cooling system, these features etc...

So the price for both should be same imo

wifi6 can do up to 10gbps. but isps can only provide (for now) 1gbps

5g can do 20gbps, but i think current 5g can do 5gbps.

I still don't see how a household with a ton of devices connected to their WiFi isnt going to benefit from this.

Instead of boosting the speed for individual devices, Wi-Fi 6 is all about improving the network when a bunch of devices are connected.

The technology isn't just about improving download speeds.

You still haven't answered my question.

ethomaz

Banned
i mean wifi6 is great, but your ISP needs to provide wifi6 service (and may increase monthly costs). I talked to xfinitiy, at &t, and they stated the maximum speeds they can provide is

1 gigabits per second

a lot of gamers dont care for wifi6 because they will be using wired cable connection to get the best connection with no lag 🤷‍♂️
It is not related to IPS.
You just need a WiFi 6 router at your home.
The advantages of WiFi 6 goes beyond speeds like more channels for devices and less interferences... it is a great upgrade for your home.

Last edited:
It is not related to IPS.
You just need a WiFi 6 router at your home.

Yeah I fail to see how ISPs are going to stop us from connecting multiple devices to our WiFi 6 routers. The current ones that we have have limitations with the number of devices that they can send data to. Wifi 6 should allow for alot more devices to communicate with the router. This is pretty important in a household with alot of wifi connections.

This video gives a pretty good example of what I'm talking about.

Last edited:
i mean wifi6 is great, but your ISP needs to provide wifi6 service (and may increase monthly costs). I talked to xfinitiy, at &t, and they stated the maximum speeds they can provide is

1 gigabits per second

a lot of gamers dont care for wifi6 because they will be using wired cable connection to get the best connection with no lag 🤷‍♂️

People don't care now, but they will in the future. Its nice to know that a device designed to be used for 5+ years, will actually be relevant in 5 years.
Wifi has historically been absolutely awful on PlayStation, so its nice to see they've got with the times now.

JTCx

All wifi users are scum!

giphy.gif

LordOfChaos

Great news. Even without a Wifi 6 modem, you also benefit from the greater processing baseline and antenna robustness, the AX200 wifi card in one laptop I have is way better than any other device I have even with an AC router. With a wifi 6 router remote play will be much more reliable too, I never found it a good experience yet.

splattered

Wifi6 on XSX would be nice but if scaling a few things back provided for stronger graphical and audio features while keeping it at a compelling price i can do without things like Wifi6.

Dnice1

wifi 6 routers look like star wars space ships lol
8g18835.jpg

what would be the best wifi6 router to get anyways? dont know too much about which router to get

Damn, that's an expensive router. I've always used ethernet cable for stationary electronics like computers, tv, and consoles, but its great wifi keeps advancing.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
wifi 6 routers look like star wars space ships lol
8g18835.jpg

what would be the best wifi6 router to get anyways? dont know too much about which router to get

I have the nighthawk Ax8, replaced my google mesh set up with it and getting better coverage in my new home (big old house with lost of concrete walls).

If you use WiFi on a stationary device you're doing it wrong.
But of course the inclusion of WiFi 6 is nice.

Microsoft does not have WiFi 6, because they don't have bluetooth at all. Those chips mostly have both combined and cost a few bucks..
So they try to save money there.

n0razi

You can have the fastest Wi-Fi out there, if downloads from your storefront are capped, it won't matter.

Wifi 6 should have noticeably better latency vs Wifi 5 (802.11ac) which is important for gaming regardless of bandwidth

802.11g adds about 50ms of latency
802.11n adds about 10ms of latency
802.11ac adds about 5ms of latency
Wifi6 should close the gap with wired ethernet (0.1-0.5ms)

i mean wifi6 is great, but your ISP needs to provide wifi6 service (and may increase monthly costs).

Once again, its about more than bandwidth... latency is very important in a gaming console

Last edited:

RespawnX

How come some people are sure that Xbox does not have Wi-Fi 6?
I can't find a confirmation tbh.

I believe it was mentioned in DF teardown. Anyway, it was confirmed somewhere. But it doesn't matter, it makes no difference for the normal consumer if WiFi 5 or 6, with one exception: for the PS5 it could mean a PSVR 2 wireless.

For the remaining use cases it is negligible, unless you have a high amount of WLAN devices at home. I operate over three dozen devices in a WiFi 5 network, without any issues. Somewhat more disappointing is rather the related omission of BT 5.1 in Series X.

/Edit: Of course WiFi 6 will help in crowded areas where many networks intersect. As long as they are all switched to WiFi 6.

Last edited:

Codes 208

Yall are really using wifi for your console?
I’m pretty sure most people do. From what I know it seems usually only the hyper competitive and the technically experienced care Enough to wire everything up to use Ethernet.

Last edited:
Top Bottom