• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 will have BT 5.1 and Wi-Fi 6 802.11 AX standard

yurinka

It could be that all this push for the highest efficiency on wi-fi may be related primarily to PSVR2 project. There may be a wi-fi version of it, needing very fast and wide data trafic for video and audio.
Well, I think that game streaming will be more important this gen for them. More speed and way less latency with wifi and gamepad means better Remote Play and PS Now experience when compared to MS.

Last edited:

ABnormal

Well, I think that game streaming will be more important this gen for them. More speed and way less latency with wifi and gamepad means better Remote Play and PS Now experience when compared to MS.

Oh, sure. It's a win-win in all departments. I was just pondering about what could be the primary reason for it.

TLZ

Banned
I said this awhile ago but they locked my thread

Listen mutha******, I know you're Mark Cerny. This isn't your first. I've been watching you. Just spill it!

giphy.gif

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
This surely is an oversight from Xbox.

Would they not want that especially for Gamepass, as a standard.

Microsoft are very well known for their excellent services, i find this strange, is it a money thing? it can't be can it
What exactly does wifi have to do with gamepass?

If you care about wifi 6 or even know what it is, you should be using a wired connection.

Wifi6 is the new PS5 secret sauce!

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Absolutely nothing. This entire thread is weird. WiFi6 is nice to have, but since about 0% actually have hardware at home that supports it, it's just an added cost that doesn't bring anything. And even if you have a WiFi6 router, you wouldn't feel a difference.
Exactly. I've got about 2 dozen wifi devices on at any given time in my house, not on Wifi 6, and I have zero problems whatsoever, especially with my game consoles. If I'm playing online on a game console, it's wired anyway. If you even remotely care about Wifi 6 for a game console, you wouldn't be playing on wifi in the first place.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Exactly. I've got about 2 dozen wifi devices on at any given time in my house, not on Wifi 6, and I have zero problems whatsoever, especially with my game consoles. If I'm playing online on a game console, it's wired anyway. If you even remotely care about Wifi 6 for a game console, you wouldn't be playing on wifi in the first place.

Not that I am getting caught in the WiFi 6 hype, but the usual PS5 has it XSX does not == not needed/wasteful bit is at work ;).

Seriously, this is the baseline for a 5-6+ years generation coming out towards the end of the year... not today. Future proofing it a bit does not hurt and the cost difference for the transmitter is being overblown here.

TBiddy

Not that I am getting caught in the WiFi 6 hype, but the usual PS5 has it XSX does not == not needed/wasteful bit is at work ;).

Seriously, this is the baseline for a 5-6+ years generation coming out towards the end of the year... not today. Future proofing it a bit does not hurt and the cost difference for the transmitter is being overblown here.

This thread is a good example of "PS5 has it, XSX does not == it's amazing and very essential for next-gen".

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
This thread is a good example of "PS5 has it, XSX does not == it's amazing and very essential for next-gen".

You are quoting the wrong person mate :LOL:. I was also not quoting or addressing you when talking about people feeling the need to enter PS5 threads to try to dampen possible good news or unique features, but evidently you felt called out ;).

Last edited:

Tschumi

That wifi 6 video is pretty cool, seems like an upgrade is a no brainer.. wonder about compatibility

Last edited by a moderator:

TBiddy

You are quoting the wrong person mate :LOL:. I was also not quoting or addressing you when talking about people feeling the need to enter PS5 threads to try to dampen possible good news or unique features, but evidently you felt called out ;).

I was quoting the exact person I wanted to. You made a public statement to which I replied. That's usually how a messageboard work, you know?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I was quoting the exact person I wanted to. You made a public statement to which I replied. That's usually how a messageboard work, you know?

I know... and :LOL:? Where was I questioning your freedom, your right to post and reply?

You are not exactly making a point here (well, you kind of confirm the point I was making, you felt called out).

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned

Yeah, especially if nothing is confirmed yet on the other console, but supposedly people already have a concrete info it's not 6. How was it called? FUD? ;)

TBiddy

I know... and :LOL:? Where was I questioning your freedom, your right to post and reply?

You are not exactly making a point here (well, you kind of confirm the point I was making, you felt called out).

Oh my bad, you're were just being passive aggressive because I replied to you. Totally different thing. And here's a smiley for you, since that's how you roll :messenger_winking: If you missed the point, I'd advise to read the post again.

Yeah, especially if nothing is confirmed yet on the other console, but supposedly people already have a concrete info it's not 6. How was it called? FUD? ;)

Something like it, yeah. It took four posts before the thread took a bad turn.

MrFunSocks

Banned

There’s no need to downplay a wifi chip for fanboy wars though, it’s just wifi. It’s going to provide no advantage or difference at all to the large majority of people at any stage of the upcoming generation.

The next gen could come with no wifi at all and I’d be fine. Literally could not care less as mine are never on wifi, ever, as someone that plays online games regularly. For someone that doesn’t care about getting the absolute best connection possible they wouldn’t notice a difference between wifi 5 and 6. For those that would, they wouldn’t be using wifi in the first place.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Most of us are wired... You are missing the remote play benefits of it, like a wireless psvr.
I’m not missing anything. Like 3% or so of PS4 owners bought a PSVR. I don’t expect it’s going to be much more this gen now that most of the VR hype has died down and left people disappointed.

Also what does wifi 6 have to do with VR? Are you talking about BT?

Is this official info that PS5 will feature BT 5.1 and wifi6 or are these tales from some fanboy wet dream? I did see the image posted by the OP, but what's the legitimacy behind the pic?

MrFunSocks

Banned
Remote play connects through wifi not bt..
Wireless vr will connect through wifi not bt.

Sorry 97% are missing out but what do they have to do with me?
So now we’re assuming that some unannounced wireless headset for be will connect via wifi 6? Boy we’re really stretching to find that secret sauce now.

Yes, both in wifi and wired the distance affects speed, latency due to interferences, packet loss and so on. This is the reason of why the cable spefication for wired lans specify a maximum length.

The wired 1000BASE‑T standard specification allows max. 100 meter (330 feet) long cables, but cables don't go in straight line, so the effective distance for a house between router and console or PC is smaller. And well, speed also decreases with cable length due to interferences, packet loss, damaged cable and so on.

The full quote of the part you highlighted in the article was: "Average wireless download speed of 1,523 Mbps at a distance of 5 feet. Range was strong with that router, too -- at a distance of 75 feet, the connection still averaged out to a blazing fast 868 Mbps."

My console is ~12 feet away from the router with nothing between them. I assume most people will get way above 1Gbps with wifi 6. We also have to think these are only the first routers and devices supporting wifi 6, they will improve over time as did with other technologies.

Sure, make sure Remote Play will be greatly benefited thanks to wifi 6.

Not sure if wifi 6 will be enough for PSVR2, but maybe. Maybe they can do something with that Kraken decompressor to reduce the data they need to send, maybe to combine it with bluetooth or something like that, or maybe they include with the headset a wifi6E dongle for the console. I have no idea.

As someone mentioned before, who knows if maybe even the console is certified as wifi 6 but they also included the other features to make it wifi6E without mentioning it because the standard may not be ready or something like that. We'll have to wait and see.

Regarding possible IOT accesories, remember Sony patented a robot toy that reacts to your performance when gaming, cheering you up and stuff like that.
So dude, you are comparing variables such as damaged cables, unstraight cabling, distancing, etc.

Let's just cut to the point my brother. Would you have better signal strength, less latency, better bandwidth, etc, being wired or wireless? Especially using your example at ~12ft away. Who even picks wireless at this distance?!

I'll take a wired 250mbps connection over a wireless 1000mbps connection, regardless of distance to router, etc. Wanna know why? Because it's superior in lower latency. I'll be damned if I miss a 1 frame link punishment in street fighter.

yurinka

So dude, you are comparing variables such as damaged cables, unstraight cabling, distancing, etc.

Let's just cut to the point my brother. Would you have better signal strength, less latency, better bandwidth, etc, being wired or wireless? Especially using your example at ~12ft away. Who even picks wireless at this distance?!

I'll take a wired 250mbps connection over a wireless 1000mbps connection, regardless of distance to router, etc. Wanna know why? Because it's superior in lower latency. I'll be damned if I miss a 1 frame link punishment in street fighter.
With current gen consoles, wifi and routers right now cable is better option, this is why I use cable on my base PS4 because current gen wifi (even older in base PS4, it's 2.4GHz only) gives way worse speed and latency.

With PS5 and wifi 6 router will be a better option to use wireless than cable because it will give way better speed and same latency.

Last edited:

yurinka

What exactly does wifi have to do with gamepass?

If you care about wifi 6 or even know what it is, you should be using a wired connection.

Wifi6 is the new PS5 secret sauce!
Well, I'd say it has something to do. Seems MS wanted to save a couple of bucks including cheaper wifi and bluetooth in their console and invest this money on Game Pass games instead.

Btw I don't see why would you prefer wired connection over wifi 6 when wifi 6 has the same latency (for the first time on wifi history) and way faster speed than the console's wired connection.

Last edited:

yurinka

Why would they? It's just wifi. You didn't see Sony shouting it either, and the reason is that it's not a big deal.
Same latency and faster speed than using cable, for the first time will be better wifi than using cable. This with the better latency of the bluetooth 5.1 pad it's a paradigm shift for online multiplayer and game streaming both from servers and from the console similar to what the PS5 SSD & I/O system will be to how the games are loaded, streamed and rendered.

Seems that the wifi 6 is expected to become an official IEEE specification next month, maybe they will announce it there. Or whenever they decide to show the OS and shop UI related features, create button features and PS Now PS5 plans.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Sony always had the habit of giving us the best cutting edge tech, it's why they are a successful hardware company. PS2 had ports even the consoles coming a year later did not have, PS3 had ports the 360 didn't have and 360 could never match PS3 in media related features. The PS4 got it's 8GB of GDDR5 on the brink of launch. introduced a controller with a speaker and audio port.....

Now, Wifi 6, USB C, Bluetooth 5.1 that erases all the connectivity and interference issues that current bluetooth has. Connectivity and speed across devices to the PS5 will be insane. Pretty much every aspect of the PS5 seems to be founded on cutting edge tech and speed.....Wifi 6, USB C, Bluetooth 5.1, SSD, Geometry Engine, IO Block, Tempest Engine.....I can't wait to see the OS, because everything needs to be snappy with the social happy OS they are developing....People easily joining your game to take over a hard section, people playing your games as you allow them to connect to your console. People actively discussing and writing up in forums and discussion panels as you play, where all the information in how you tackle a specific boss is right there, much better integration for streaming and interacting with viewers. Better connectivity for PSVR 2.0, higher bandwidth, perhap VR will be able to be streamed to your phone like the VR headset that comes with certain Motorola phones.......etc etc...

Bleeding Edge, that's how I like it..

quote-the-name-of-the-game-is-not-market-share-it-s-how-fast-we-sony-can-grow-the-industry-ken-kutaragi-107-6-0668.jpg

Leaders of the gaming industry.

TBiddy

Looks like you don't know Phil & Aaron

Touché!

Same latency and faster speed than using cable, for the first time will be better wifi than using cable.

I seriously doubt Wifi6 will bring lower latency than you'd get through Ethernet. What are you basing that on?

Also, why on earth would Wifi6 improve game streaming from servers?

edit: Just wanted to add, that I use wifi myself at home and that in many aspects it's a great solution, but it's not going to beat a cable with regards to latency and speed.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Not if you live in a civilised country where internet is not limited, like...any civilised country that is not the US

Wireless internet (4G/5G) is limited here (Oman), but Dial Up then ADSL and now Fiber all of the are unlimited since more that a decade or two. So is the wired internet (ADSL/Fiber) limited in some countries? If so, that's strange, but probably due to overwhelming population.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
No, simple physics say wifi6 has about the same latency than gigabit ethernet (and most people don't have gigabit routers and cables at home), it's like 20% faster than ethernet and has a longer range.

The article you linked doesn't cover wifi6. The article is from 2018 and the first wifi6 devices were Samsung Fold and S10, released in March 2019. They mention that for the comparision graph they did use a wifi5 router.

This one does and says "For example, when you look at the theoretical top speed, Wi-Fi 6 reaches 9.6 Gbps (compared to Wi-Fi 5 which clocks in at 6.9 Gbps). In real world testing, Wi-Fi 6’s single stream speed has been raised to 1.2 Gbps - 20% faster than connecting via Gigabit Ethernet.":
https://www.techradar.com/news/wi-fi-6-vs-ethernet-who-is-taking-the-connectivity-crown

Edit: here's another article where they tested wifi 6 running at 1.5Gbps, so it's 50% improvement instead of 20%

This other article mentions when talking about wifi 6 vs wifi 5 "four times as much data deliverable simultaneously to multiple clients and latency cut by 75 percent":

For the test of your article they're using the Nighthawk X6 router (wifi 5, 802.11ac). If we take the ~5ns and cut it a 75%, then wifi 6 latency should be ~1.25ns, without considering other benefits like sending up to 4x data at the same time compared to wifi 5 and without considering wifi 6 is up to ~50% faster than gigabit lan, or considering that wifi 6 better than wifi 5 shielding against closer wifis from neighbors to reduce interferences. So the new king is wifi 6 and not ethernet (simple physics).

Extra video talking about wifi6 benefits:

When he said "break the bottleneck" (timestamped):

This picture came to mind:

njs5yz0sn8n41.jpg

UrgeLoLUS

Neo Member
Great!
Just bought myself an asus ax92u, and a wifi6 wireless adapter for my pc.
Got a god connection through one floor and a wall. 721 mbps down and 1201 mbps up.

This means that my ps5 will make good use of the fiber connection I am getting soon.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
If it isn't, you should fully expect PS5 to be where most gamers will go for online gaming.

Plenty of little kids are buying PS4 to play fortnite online for free, that's not possible on Xbox. Explains the continuous grow in PS4 sales, vice versa on the other side.

EDIT: And most if not all would be using WiFi6.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Hilarious how even Wifi6 is being touted as a defining next-gen feature.
Imagine if Series X had it and PS5 didn't....We would be getting numerous tweets and threads about it, how Wifi is a gamechanger, Phil would tweet a jab at the competition and would conduct another interview.......I see no fellating here, I just see rational folks discussing what Wifi 6 will bring to the table to improve connectivity between devices and even VR, all gaming related.....What's with the inferiority complex?

quote-the-name-of-the-game-is-not-market-share-it-s-how-fast-we-sony-can-grow-the-industry-ken-kutaragi-107-6-0668.jpg

Leaders of the gaming industry.
Man, you know Ken is my mentor. He was always the guy I loved most at Sony......A marvelous engineer who was always cutting edge, a true visionary....

Top Bottom