• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 unannounced social features ‘do really clever things’, claims Oddworld creator Lorne Lanning

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Speaking in the latest issue of Official PlayStation Magazine, the veteran designer suggested that the next-gen console would incorporate more social elements traditionally confined to the internet.

“Before we’d say, ‘OK, I’m playing my console game…’ and there’s connectivity and there’s friends, sharing of stats and stuff like this, but a lot of it, you’re still going to the web to engage in the discussion,” he said.

“I think we’re going to see in this generation a lot more of that interlaced, where you’re not leaving the console as much to go get the other data… It’ll be really interesting to see how much the audience takes to it and what they do with it, and what developers do with it.”

He added: “[To] get into the sharing capabilities, the social stuff that’s been built into PS5 – I’m still not sure how much I can really talk about… I want to be careful, but they’re doing a lot more things that are like, enabling you to sort of open your experience a little wider to your human network of people that you’re connected with.”

Asked to elaborate on PS5’s social features, Lanning appeared to reference a PS5 system menu feature mentioned in a Sony patent this year.

The patent describes a system which provides dynamic game hints, by determining that the user has been repeatedly attempting to overcome a challenge and then providing hints on the system menu.

Lanning said: “[There are] ways that it’s enabling, sort of helping [with] problems that you might be having in the game, more intelligent monitoring of people having difficulty and – I wouldn’t say AI-level, but it’s kind of smart things that are going on.”

He added: “Like, ‘if you take advantage of this new feature, you’ll be able to help your players where they normally get stuck in this way.’

“And so there are some really clever things going on there that involve this sort of extension into other networks, other people, other points of feedback and giving people more information on how to play the game better, how other people might play or solve this problems.”

p6jXDDA.jpg

onQ123

United States Patent Application
Kind Code
A1
Benedetto; Warren ; et al.
August 27, 2020
BUILDING A DYNAMIC SOCIAL COMMUNITY BASED ON REAL-TIME IN-GAME CONTEXT OF A PLAYER

Abstract
A method for gaming including receiving game states of game plays of players playing a gaming application. The method includes tracking game play progression for each of the game plays based on game states, wherein game play progression is defined by a corresponding set of relationship characteristics. A first game play of a first player is associated with a first set of relationship characteristics. The method includes identifying for the first player players having corresponding game plays that include one or more relationship characteristics from the first set of relationship characteristics. The method includes surfacing the identified players for display to the first player. Each surfaced players have a corresponding game play progression that is related to the first game play progression. Each surfaced players is associated with a corresponding communication warning indicator that provides relative game play progression between game plays the corresponding surfaced player and the first player.

TECHNICAL FIELD

[0001] The present disclosure is related to video gaming and social networking, and more specifically to building a social community for a player playing a gaming application based on in-game progression and location of the game play, wherein the social community includes players playing the same game at the same in-game progression or location.

BACKGROUND OF THE DISCLOSURE

[0002] With higher processing power of computing systems, video games are becoming more complex and expansive. For example, open world video games allow a player to move throughout a gaming environment without any predetermined pattern. That is, the player is able to freely explore the gaming environment without following any ordered approach. In addition, forums may be established that allow players of a video game to obtain information. These forums may provide step-by-step instructions on how to complete a task or how to reach the next level. These forums provide an important social connection to players of a video game, such as by allowing players who share the same interest in a particular video game to interact with each other.

[0003] However, a player joining a forum takes the risk that sensitive and unwanted information may be revealed without any warning. The sensitive information may take away from the enjoyment of playing the video game. For example, sensitive information may include spoilers that tell how the video game ends, or may include spoilers that reveal plot twists, etc. After learning about such information, a player may be so affected that the video game may not be that interesting anymore, and very quickly the player may quit playing that video game--even without finishing.

[0004] Participants to a forum may not even know that they are divulging sensitive information. For instance, a participant that is asking a question within the forum may unwittingly reveal to other players an upcoming obstacle or boss at the end of certain part of the game. In another instance, a player that is offering information may take great care to not divulge sensitive information by prefacing communication with a warning that potentially sensitive information may soon be revealed. In each of these cases, whether the participant is seeking or giving information, extensive measures need to be taken in order not to ruin a video game for certain participants within the forum. Alas, even with all these measured precautions, participants may still learn about the sensitive information. As a result, some players may choose to avoid all forums for fear of learning about sensitive information, even when they really want to join a forum to learn just enough information about their game play (e.g., how to accomplish a difficult task, etc.), or even to just casually interact with others who also enjoy playing the video game--like talking about the video game over a beer at a bar.

[0005] It is in this context that embodiments of the disclosure arise.

SUMMARY

[0006] Embodiments of the present disclosure relate to systems and methods for building instant social connections and emergent communities based on in-game progression and location of a particular player. That player can participate in a real-time mobile social experience by connecting to other players playing the same game who are at a similar point in the video game (either physically or progression-wise). This helps mitigate the risk of spoilers, since all the players are basically in the same part of the game, and know approximately the same information. That is, players in a particular emergent community probably do not know any sensitive information that would ruin the game for others in that emergent community. In that manner, these players can be connected to and communicate with each other without actively being careful to not reveal sensitive information.

[0007] In one embodiment, a method for gaming is disclosed. The method includes receiving a plurality of game states for a plurality of game plays of a plurality of players playing a gaming application. The method includes tracking game play progression for each of the plurality of game plays based on the plurality of game states, wherein game play progression is defined by a corresponding set of relationship characteristics, wherein a first game play of a first player is associated with a first set of relationship characteristics. The method includes identifying for the first player one or more players having corresponding game plays that each include one or more relationship characteristics from the first set of relationship characteristics for the first player. The method includes surfacing the one or more identified players for display to the first player. Each of the surfaced players have a corresponding game play progression that is related to the first game play progression of the first player. Each of the surfaced players is associated with a corresponding communication warning indicator that provides relative game play progression between game plays of the corresponding surfaced player and the first player.

CrysisFreak

Banned
I want many features that allow me to brag to casuals. Fuck those assholes they think they can compete with me?
I'll fucking wreck them without any mercy whatsoever.
You who read this. Think you're a match. Come at me you cunt I don't joke around. My 3.7 K/D laughs at you.
Your mum's a big fan.

NinjaBoiX

This doesn’t sound like a good thing.

I’ve got my phone like right there for FB/Twitter/etc, I don’t want my PlayStation ramming social media down my throat.

Hell, I want them to get rid of the share button, I hate pressing it accidentally.

Data Ghost

Isnt this just the already rumoured feature where you can speak into the controller mic and ask it how to beat a level/boss etc?

cormack12

Gold Member
Sound interesting. It does seem stupid you have to go to seperate sites and forums to sign up to clans etc. I still think they haven't bridged that gap yet. Maybe some intelligent player matching of players who seem to play the same games at the same time etc.

It would be good if you submitted tips or video's you got a notification if they were being used and request to view the user to give them hints/support.

Whenevr we think of this stuff it's always basic though, so I'm tempering expectations

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
This doesn’t sound like a good thing.

I’ve got my phone like right there for FB/Twitter/etc, I don’t want my PlayStation ramming social media down my throat.

Hell, I want them to get rid of the share button, I hate pressing it accidentally.

Is something wrong with your hands?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
It really does feel like Sony understands where the industry is headed (social, multiplayer) and is setting the table to feast next gen. Lot's of encouraging news on that front.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
It really does feel like Sony understands where the industry is headed (social, multiplayer) and is setting the table to feast next gen. Lot's of encouraging news on that front.
They hyped social features as a major point last gen.. it was like the main marketing message IIRC.

Not something I ever even touched myself...

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
They hyped social features as a major point last gen.. it was like the main marketing message IIRC.

Not something I ever even touched myself...

It definitely feels different this time around. The market today is way different than it was back in 2010-2012. It's now much more multiplayer top heavy and it looks like Sony planned accordingly. Can't wait to see Factions II revealed soon.

Andodalf

Banned
ps4's share button and social features were legit some of the most important things it brought to the table, I'm very curious to see how they take that to the next level with the "create" button

Major_Key

perm warning for starting troll/bait threads
PS5 REVOLUTION.

Take note XBOX !!

PS5 look like 360 at this time. XBOX Live, Success, XBLA, third party exclusive etc...

Last edited:

Chiggs

All of this positive developer buzz around PS5 is impossible to ignore.

I realize some nice things have been said about the Xbox One X, but it seems the devs favor Sony's machine.

Major_Key

perm warning for starting troll/bait threads
All of this positive developer buzz around PS5 is impossible to ignore.

I realize some nice things have been said about the Xbox One X, but it seems the devs favor Sony's machine.

Because PS5 is 100% next gen machine with new API, new UI/UX, NEW controllers,New design etc...

NinjaBoiX

Is something wrong with your hands?
I sometimes press it instead of pause/options. Very rarely, but I just don’t see the point of it as a button. I understand the function of it, it’s just never something I use, I’ve never once thought “that was super sick bro! I should share it on social media!”

Maybe make it a toggle switch for the light bar? That’d be useful....

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Because PS5 is 100% next gen machine with new API, new UI/UX, NEW controllers,New design etc...

That'll get devs excited of course.

I sometimes press it instead of pause/options. Very rarely, but I just don’t see the point of it as a button. I understand the function of it, it’s just never something I use, I’ve never once thought “that was super sick bro! I should share it on social media!”

Maybe make it a toggle switch for the light bar? That’d be useful....

I use the share button every 20-30 minutes when I play games.

Last edited:

TimFL

Makes sense to me that the UI gets more social features / ways for developers to reach you.
All they really had on PS4 is the static game hub and „Now Playing“ fields where they could write a one liner that displays under your name for the duration of the gaming session.

Look at how smartphones evolved, for example, iOS:
- Apps where you have a fullscreen experience (we‘re here on consoles)
- Notifications, where developers could lure you back in and send you news etc. about their app (maybe PS5 offers notification APIs?)
- Widgets, where apps can present you with at a glance, dynamic info about the apps content (maybe game hubs on the PS5 allow developers to draw arbitrary info that can enhance your experience out of a game).

Theres so much potential here for a console OS. Why does your experience have to be limited to starting a game. Why can‘t we get a notification when my friend gets downed in a co-op shooter so I can jump in (without my friend having to text me or invite me to a party and explain) or simply be told about our base being attacked in a persistent world strategy game?
Why can‘t the barebones game hubs we have now be unique in functionality, show a heat map of my last CoD match or suggest an in-game challenge I‘m close to unlocking...

Sky is the limit and we‘re only just now starting to scratch the potential of social foundation for games.

Top Bottom