• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Early Adopters - The State of Playstation

envyzeal

So, as many other fellow members, I have my PS5 since launch on Novembeer 2020, and I wanted to share and hear opinions on our beloved gaming machine.

First party:

Astro's Playroom - one of my favourites, small gimmicky game but a great showcase and had a great time
Demons Souls - awesome truly nexgen game but still a remake
Miles Morales - great game but not a full game and crossgen, which makes us think that it always could be more
Sackboy - honestly got bored and didn't finish it yet
Returnal - My 2021 goty to date, great game, visuals and gameplay, Housemarque nailed it.
Ghost of Tsushima Iki Island + Upgrade - loved the DLC but as I mentioned before, still a DLC and a crossgen game. Didn't scratch that true nexgen itch.

Currently playing Ratchet and Clank, great visuals, really feeling like a nexgen game.

Third party:
AC Valhalla - Got me impressed, beautiful vast world but still that AC feeling that makes the game a little generic. But anyway, had a great time 70+hrs played
Control PS5 - nice PS Plus freebie, great updated game
Outriders - generic TPS shooter, had fun for a while
Yakuza Like a Dragon - Great JRPG but still, not a nexgen experience

And thinking ahead...
FIST,
Kena
Deathloop (easy pass)
Death Stranding DC
Tales of Arise (personal goty contender)

and some more big third parties franchise...

So what's the big plan for holidays?

I'm sure pandemics had a big impact on launch dates but for early apdopters it feels like a small drought is coming (at least until Jan-Feb packed window), we'll rely on third party games but I don't feel like there's enough time for a big in house title.
Maybe with a long stretch TLOU Factions beta or something.

Not comparing to other platforms (which I own but they're not my main), just wanted to share and know how early adopters feel right now.

I MISS MY EXCLUSIVES BACKLOG.

(sorry for the mess and drama, this is my first thread)

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

FUBARx89

I like my ps5. The upgrades over last gen of 60/120fps have been worth the money for me.

I don't mind the christmas period being abit dead, cause lets be honest, it's dead on last gen systems aswell.

Before someone comes in screaming "HALOOOOOOO" I really don't care for it. 4 and 5 where trash and I don't care that much for racing games unless it's a proper GT/Project Cars/Burnout/Forza experience, not some open world crap.

Flabagast

Cyberpunk is sexier and more interesting than everything announced or already released on next gen. And it does not seem it will change soon

envyzeal

The level of bitterness over Bathesda is unparalleled. Arcane who made Dishonoured and Prey, their next game is an easy pass for you (hmmm I wonder why?) but you’re out here buying shit like Outriders. Get over it mate.
I'm rarely into shooters and not into first person games at all. Never played Dishonoured and Prey. But I'm a looter shooter addict :(

FUBARx89

The level of bitterness over Bathesda is unparalleled. Arcane who made Dishonoured and Prey, their next game is an easy pass for you (hmmm I wonder why?) but you’re out here buying shit like Outriders. Get over it mate.

I think part of the problem is how heavily Sony are leaning on it and skeptism of it.

At least on my end. I personally don't care for it and would rather play Dishonored, 2, DOTO or Prey than some wierd MP game. I don't need Sony telling me every month it's fantastic.

Way I see it, there should of been a demo or beta and let that speak for itself, rather than this coverage.

But I also understand Sony paid for it, so they're gonna market it to the sun and back.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
The level of bitterness over Bathesda is unparalleled.
bathesda.jpg

Elios83

I've played tons of games so far, September is an other huge month with Lost Judgement, Kena, Deathloop, Diablo 2, Tales of Arise and Death Stranding DC.
Unfortunately a few games got delayed and there is a small drought that will coincide with the holiday season period (if you're not counting the usual big multiplatfom games like COD, BF and FIFA that personally I'm not into).
Still Alan Wake and Fatal Frame coming/returning on Playstation in October is great.
2022 will start with a bang. Elden Ring in January, Horizon in February, Gran Turismo 7 in March and Forspoken in Spring 2002. Can't wait!

Last edited:

Chiggs

I was all over Demon's Souls at launch. I really haven't played it that much since then, though I did dabble with Ratchet and Clank, but stopped playing after 4 hours through. I also picked up Valhalla, but have put it on hold while I finish up some other stuff.

I'm mostly PC and Series X at this point, which looks to continue for the rest of the year. 2022 and beyond, Sony's got some big hitters.

Dr Bass

I got mine in February or so. Demon's Souls. Returnal. Ratchet and Clank. Ghost of Tsushima (after the patch). Bunch of other stuff I played. It's been too much actually. Best launch period I've personally experienced in awhile.
You are completely projecting here, he didn't mention anything about Bethesda, and you tried to interject it. I mean what the heck.

SegaShack

It's crazy we're a year into this gen and I still can't figure out which system I want to pick up. Money isn't the issue, just nothing on either platform makes them worth buying now.

I'll probably wait a few years and a few hw refreshes in to pick up my PS5 and XSX.

Chiggs

It's crazy we're a year into this gen and I still can't figure out which system I want to pick up. Money isn't the issue, just nothing on either platform makes them worth buying now.

I'll probably wait a few years and a few hw refreshes in to pick up my PS5 and XSX.

That's never a bad approach. I bet both systems have much better refreshes, and let's hope that also means aesthetics when it comes to PS5.

SegaShack

That's never a bad approach. I bet both systems have much better refreshes, and let's hope that also means aesthetics when it comes to PS5.
Yes it's actually nice. I used to be pulled into buying machines first year for one or two key titles.

The late adopters always win, at least when it comes to price/value.

I'm hoping for larger hard drives on both as a start.

Last edited:

TwiztidElf

Exclusives-wise, it's been a bit quiet, but after an excellent PS4 gen that was also quiet early, I have faith that Sony will deliver.
Astro's Playroom, Returnal, Ratchet and Clank were all excellent.
Upcoming, I'm hyped for: Horizon FW, GT7, Ghostwire Tokyo and now Project Eve.

3rd party, cross gen and multiplatform stuff of note that's been keeping me entertained,
Guilty Gear Strive is amazing, Scarlet Nexus, and I still play a lot of Wreckfest.

envyzeal

I'm very happy with PS5, specially because I missed some late PS4 games and had the chance to play them with BC

I also have a XSS and Switch, but hardly playing anything there. Gamepass is great to give a chance to some stuff that I'd never play and Nintendo games are crazy expensive where I live (Brazil), so I only buy a few games that I really want to play.

I was just thinking that for the first time in a long time I'm almost uptodate with the big guns on my main console.

GP evangelists were frothing at mouth about how big get Outriders was :lollipop_anxious_sweat: so what's the problem if somebody actually had fun with it?

evanft

It's been the best first year in a very long time, probably since the DC or PS2. There are the obvious exclusives which make the system worth owning, but then getting performance improvements on games in my PS4 library is worth the early adopter tax.

I mean, among my PS4 games, all of the following play noticeably better on PS5, either because they were patched or the power of the system brute forces them higher.
  • Blood and Truth
  • Concrete Genie
  • Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends Complete Edition
  • Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires
  • Fist of The North Star: Lost Paradise
  • Ghost of Tsushima
  • God of War
  • Infamous: Second Son
  • Infamous: Last Light
  • Killzone Shadow Fall
  • Last of Us: Part II
  • Last Guardian
  • MLB The Show 20
  • One Piece Pirate Warriors 3
  • Ratchet & Clank
  • Samurai Warriors 4
  • Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate
I'm a whore for smooth frame rates, so this makes me erect.

Kerotan

I went back and played my ps4 on holidays. Tortuous experience. Ps5 is so slick, quiet and most of my games have good upgrades. Wtf would I wait 2 years to buy a ps5 just because it will have more exclusives. It won't be any cheaper by then anyway.

And breaking news the ps5 will get the ps6 games for at least the first 2 years. It's just the way it is.

If I knew we would be going into Year 2 with the delays, backtrack to crossgen and flooded with remasters I would defineinitley not have purchased two PS5's . Add to that If I had known that the Backwards compatibility games would still have crazy long loading times, the games which were released would all be $70 and we would still be waiting for the official SSD unlocking, VRR and even a browser I may have waited another couple years before I picked up my first.

I am hoping that the PSVR2 next year makes it all worth while since I don't plan on purchaseing any more crossgen titles unless its third party. I may sell my 2nd PS5 this holiday while I can still get back my purchase price and repurchase when the refresh comes out in a few years.

envyzeal

If I knew we would be going into Year 2 with the delays, backtrack to crossgen and flooded with remasters I would defineinitley not have purchased two PS5's . Add to that If I had known that the Backwards compatibility games would still have crazy long loading times, the games which were released would all be $70 and we would still be waiting for the official SSD unlocking, VRR and even a browser I may have waited another couple years before I picked up my first.

I am hoping that the PSVR2 next year makes it all worth while since I don't plan on purchaseing any more crossgen titles unless its third party. I may sell my 2nd PS5 this holiday while I can still get back my purchase price and repurchase when the refresh comes out in a few years.
my second ps5 arrives this week, but it's mostly for my wife, who also likes to play and i'm not very good at sharing, specially after I placed my ps5 on my office :messenger_grinning_sweat:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Buying a Launch PS5 was a fucking waste of money. The big games are cross gen, and it would have made more sense to pick up a system once the real 1st party titles start hitting. I played MM and Ratchet. I game on a nice PC too and just want Sony games on PC like MS so I don't have to buy hardware that looks ugly and takes up space, not to mention costs 500 + tax.

KAL2006

Banned
Yep no real reason to buy a PS5 until atleast 2023 when Spiderman 2 comes out. While Ratchet is a decent game it's not a must have that people would buy a console for. Demons Souls is just a remake and niche. That leaves Returnal while decent as well not a must have.

I think though if you can get a PS5 still get one, as even by 2023 with Spiderman 2 releasing I think the PS5 wouldn't drop in price so if you going to buy one anyways may as well just get it now and play games with better performance.

PS4 didn't get good until Bloodborne and Witcher 3, so PS5 is taking an additional year more than PS4 to get it's big exclusive games which makes sense due to Covid. But u like the PS4 atleast it is backwards compatible and cross gen is better than no games.

kunonabi

I'll give bloodhunt a shot and probably pick up project eve. More than I expected to be honest but yeah PS5 is still Ps4 Pro Turbo at this point.

Last edited:

Labadal

I've had my PS5 for 6 months. So far, I own Astro's Playroom and Yakuza: Like A Dragon. Both games are great.

PS5 games I beat via PS+:
-Bugsnax
-Maneater
-Maquette

I have Lost Judgment pre-ordered.
I backed Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes, plus its companion game. I chose keys for PS5.

What I want to pick up that has already released (waiting for price drops):
-Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
-Sackboy: A Big Adventure
-Tales of arise
-Spiderman
-Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut

Future games that I am interested in:
-Astria ascending
-Final Fantasy VI
-Disciples: Liberation
-Hogwarts Legacy (if they keep it single player)
-Monark
-Relayer
-Salt and Sacrifice
-Sherlock Holmes: Chapter One
-Steelrising

There are a lot of other games, but there's no point in huge lists.

I'm happy with my purchase. I have a lot of unplayed PS4 games that I am going through.

saintjules

I'm not worried. There's enough content for me between PS5 and XSX to keep me busy for the next year I think.

I still look at early adoption as not having to continously look for a PS5 or XSX. They're still very hard to get if you're not buying them from Scaplers or StockX. It's looking like 2022-23 before they regularly become available in stores.

We future proofed early, which imo is the silver lining for now.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Loving my first year with PS5. Demon's Souls was the killer app for me in getting the console so early (I rarely buy consoles at launch, DC was the last time) and it fucking delivered. Mind blown. And the came Returnal. It's my GOTY so far. A very good game and refreshing new IP. I feel these two games have made my purchase justifiable so I'm a happy camper.

I've also delved in to a couple of remasters for PS5. FF 7 was great, loved it, but I want more. Control was also great (and free on PS Plus). Looking forward to Death Stranding too. I love these enhanced versions since I skipped out on them.

The PS4 bc is also great with a ton of games getting performance patches, so I've been exploring that as well during times when no new releases are due. All in all, very happy with my first year and the best part is I have a ton of cool games to look forward too (Elden Ring, Forspoken, FF 16, Project Eve, Horizon FW, God of War 2).

PS5 is an incredible console. Powerful, well engineered, lots of QoL over past gens, fantastic audio with Pulse Headset, short load times, 4K visuals and frame rate boosts. Fucking love gaming right now.

Javthusiast

Banned
Well as a sony fan without a ps5 yet I am perfectly content with my ps4 and Series S. No need for a ps5 yet, since Horizon, GoW R, Hogwarts, Gotham Knights and more are cross gen.

Top Bottom