• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Launch Thread [Thread being archived 1/1/14]

Replicant

When you get a name request from someone, if you accept, does it automatically show you their name too? I kinda think it should show their name when they request it, otherwise it seems very one-sided

Speaking of awkward, I accidentally pressed the real name request button last night when I was comparing trophies. Should I tell the guy I didn't mean it? We don't know each other well.

Hasney

Just gave my brother his Christmas present of a PS4. Wanted to do it since I'm back home before Christmas and his face was priceless.

Speaking of awkward, I accidentally pressed the real name request button last night when I was comparing trophies. Should I tell the guy I didn't mean it? We don't know each other well.

Just send him a message saying "How you doin'?"

Nope, my PS4 doesn't arrive for a few days and I skipped out on PS3 so I don't have a PS Plus account

Ahh, well all PS4s come with a free Plus Trial (I think), so you'll be able to grab it then. I only arrived back from an overseas trip a few days ago, so haven't tried out much on my PS4 yet. In terms of exclusives, only Killzone Shadow Fall and Resogun.

Shadow Fall's campaign is alright, close to the end now. It's not great by any means - I find the story lacking and some of the design choices strange. It has some ambition, but ultimately fails to deliver for a lot of it. Graphically, however, it is really a showcase for the system - if you want to see what it is capable of day one, buy the game. From what I've heard, the multiplayer is fun, but I haven't tried it yet.

As I said before, Resogun is great. Not much to say here, aside from that it's a highly entertaining side(cylindrical)-scrolling shooter. Short, but very high replay value. If you can, get PS Plus, you need it for online multiplayer, and games like Resogun make it really worth it.

What can I do about a sticking R1 button? I think spotting in B4 has worn it out =/
It pops off so easily with a butter knife. Get in there with compressed air or blow on it yourself. Do this on both he controller and the actual button. Mine hasn't stuck for the last 10 hours of gaming. My issue was also from spam spotting. Lol

So I watched PS live for over an hour last night. It's like a train wreck you can't stop watching in awe. People getting banned left and right. All kinds of kids being inappropriate in playroom.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Stupid question, but if my TV is 1080p, should i put the PS4's display settings at 1080P, or should I keep it at automatic?

Zoe

Stupid question, but if my TV is 1080p, should i put the PS4's display settings at 1080P, or should I keep it at automatic?
With the PS3, automatic was better because it let things play in 720p if that was a better option for performance. Does the PS4 automatically upscale now?

Can someone explain how the monthly free games work with PS+? Do you get a couple different free games each month to choose from and you choose exactly one of these? Are they usually older retail titles or arcade type games? It might be a huge game changer for me as to which system to buy.

Zoe

Can someone explain how the monthly free games work with PS+? Do you get a couple different free games each month to choose from and you choose exactly one of these? Are they usually older retail titles or arcade type games? It might be a huge game changer for me as to which system to buy.
You get access to every game they put up for free as long as you've "purchased" it before it gets taken down. You maintain access as long as you're a subscriber.

Games are probably about a year old on average. Of course Resogun was brand new though.

Replicant

Yeah but you don't have to choose one. You can 'purchase' all of them (for free) so they'll always be in your download list in the future, even after the title is removed from the selection.

They are mixed of old and new titles. Mostly relatively new retail and digital titles (ie. Resogun, Dragon's Dogma).

I still haven't bought a retail game for my PS4 yet. Been having plenty of fun with Resogun, Warframe and Contrast. Pretty sweet that it comes with a nice set of free games right out of the box.

It's great. They don't just give away old creepy games that you don't really want to play. Check out this thread

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=735898

It's not just free games though. They also give you extra discounts on a bunch of stuff too. But keep in mind if you don't subscribe to PS+ anymore you can't play those free games you downloaded. When you subscribe again you get access back. You do get to keep anything you payed for though, even if you got it for a dollar. But keeping your subscription is more than worth it, especially if you have the ps3 and vita. You could buy the systems and never buy a single game for them thanks to plus

Overdoziz

Banned
Is there any way to fix someone's voice from lagging in party chat? For the past week the mic of a friend of mine has been stuttering which is becoming increasingly frustrating. Before that I've never had any issues with it and other people can hear him just fine. Both our connections are fine so that can't be the issue either.

It pops off so easily with a butter knife. Get in there with compressed air or blow on it yourself. Do this on both he controller and the actual button. Mine hasn't stuck for the last 10 hours of gaming. My issue was also from spam spotting. Lol

Haha...thanks. BF4 - if it isn't crashing games, it's crashing controllers

Vizzeh

Banned

Iv had a few name requests from some guys I dont know. It personally doesnt bother me. A name or an Alias.. altho still prefer Aliases in games like BF.

Real names will likely be seen more in the future anyway.

ReaperXL7

Anyone having issues getting onto the store on PS4? The network seems to be up as I can seey friends, send messages, etc, but it wont let me log on to the store for some reason. It just tells me that the network is unavailable, but my connection test is fine aswell.

Question. If u set it so u show ur name to others, does it show ur psn id? can u set it for specific ppl?

When you set your PSN ID as your name instead of your ID. People will always see your PSN ID regardless.

People have to send you a name request to be able to see your actual name, when they do, they see your *actual name* and underneath your PSN ID name.

NeoROCK

Just wondering.... What is Sony waiting for?

They still have Uncharted 4 gameplay/trailer to show.

They still have The Order:1886 gameplay to show.

The still have DriveClub release date to announce.

Surely these won't all be E3 announcements. DriveClub is particular should be coming out sometime in the next 3-4 months.

Sometimes it seems that Sony is a little too relaxed on these things.

I hate to keep brining this up, but I went to the same Best Buy where the demo unit's analogs had the top coating worn off, and now the DS4's R1 button periodically gets stuck. I'm planning on buying a PS4 in March, but I'm wondering how everyone's controllers are holding up right now.

Gold Member
Sorry if this has been covered before but how do I access the 14 day PS+ trial? I couldn't see a code on any of the packaging.
In case your still struggling...

There isn't a code in the box you need to get it from the store. You will need to put a CC on file with them though and will only see it in the store if your account is eligible (i.e. Not had plus before). I only found this out after I had signed up lol.

Surely these won't all be E3 announcements. DriveClub is particular should be coming out sometime in the next 3-4 months.

February. Next event.

I hate to keep brining this up, but I went to the same Best Buy where the demo unit's analogs had the top coating worn off, and now the DS4's R1 button periodically gets stuck. I'm planning on buying a PS4 in March, but I'm wondering how everyone's controllers are holding up right now.

Mine is still fine from US launch, playing at least 8 hours a day of intense use games like COD and BF.
Only two problems are
1. Rubber on the thumbsticks is permanently sweaty/greasy, wipe it with a towel, less than 5 minutes later of no controller use its already back.
2. Very slight peels in the rubber on the left thumbstick, not much and not very noticeable.

marrec

Banned

Been using mine since 2 days after US launch, maybe an hour a day, none of the problems mentioned.

witness

My wife expressed frustration tonight that we still can't play our 3D BR's yet on PS4, as a casual gamer, she said its crazy that PS4 has less functionality than our PS3 did. Can't say I disagree with her, wish we had an idea on when the update will happen.

jsip

Banned
Yep. This. No issues afterward.

Zoe

In case your still struggling...

There isn't a code in the box you need to get it from the store. You will need to put a CC on file with them though and will only see it in the store if your account is eligible (i.e. Not had plus before). I only found this out after I had signed up lol.
That wasn't the case for mine. I had a foldout in the box with that and Music Unlimited.

StoopKid

I don't get why people always shit on sony for this.

I can say the exact same thing about xbox

We still haven't seen a halo gameplay trailer.
We still haven't seen a quantum break gameplay trailer
We still haven't seen sunset overdrive gameplay trailer.

Pryce

If you're looking for non-multiplats, your massive list of choices is:

Resogun
Killzone: Shadowfall
Knack

Don't hurt yourself. ;)

Resogun - Very hard.
Killzone - Very time consuming.
Knack - Who cares?

Resogun depends on skill though. I'll probably never plat it, but I'm sure there's plenty of people out there who find it easy.

but this joke

jNGrrA7.jpg

R3TRODYCE

My ps4 hard locked twice today, once in the live from PS app and once on the dashboard. I'm not overly worried about it since it hasn't done this before but I hope it was just an isolated incident.

NeoROCK

I don't get why people always shit on sony for this.

I can say the exact same thing about xbox

We still haven't seen a halo gameplay trailer.
We still haven't seen a quantum break gameplay trailer
We still haven't seen sunset overdrive gameplay trailer.

We've seen a hell of a lot more from those games than we've seen from The Order and Uncharted.

DriveClub was billed as a launch title all the way up until about a month before launch.... now there is still no launch date.

What are we looking at here? February? April? July? We really have no idea.

thefit

It launched in November right before thanksgiving and its now Christmas time you aren't going to have any news or info about games relax and drink some eggnog.

Top Bottom